ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market 😡

The Dow dropped to somewhere around 28k points during the pandemic. Look at it since. Was at 41k earlier this week. Made a shit-ton of money so far this year alone, so I'm pleased with it's performance.

Moved to correction territory this AM.
I have enjoyed an appreciating market like all of us but as a retiree you can’t help but get nervous about protecting the pot you’ve managed to accumulate over the years.
As one who can see the retirement light at the end of the tunnel, I definitely am checking on my accounts more and more regularly.

The Nikkei finished up again overnight which should be good news. The BOJ, which kicked off the sell-off, has come out with some policy statements to calm things down.

Reactions: goldmom
This Is Fine GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
It closed back over 40,000 again today. Mostly due to inflation coming down again, under 3% for the first time in 3 years.
The market is anticipating 1-2 interest rates cuts. Rate cuts generally move money from bonds to stocks, which makes the stock market go up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Banditking
The Dow is up 1.5% for the month and 18.5% for the year. The S&P is up 2% for the month and 28% for the year. The NASDAQ is up 1% for the month and 34.5% for the year. All of this after one very bad beginning of a week when there were gloom and doom predictions everywhere.

Pretty good all in all.

On the last day of the month, the Dow set another record high finishing up 4.6% for the month and 19.3% for the year.

The oil companies are keeping the gas prices up but hopefully, we'll see a big decline in prices at the pump after Labor Day. Unleaded gas closed on the Nymex at 209.32 which should result in a price of around $2.75 when you're filling up.

On the last day of the month, the Dow set another record high finishing up 4.6% for the month and 19.3% for the year.

The oil companies are keeping the gas prices up but hopefully, we'll see a big decline in prices at the pump after Labor Day. Unleaded gas closed on the Nymex at 209.32 which should result in a price of around $2.75 when you're filling up.
So maybe it won’t be too bad to try and fill the SPR back up?

The interest rates have shifted so much that I am going back to CDs from the I bonds that I had been buying the last couple of years.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

I don't think that I will see a price of $2.75 when I am filling up again in my lifetime. ;) $5.59/gallon at the last stop. To your bigger point, though, my retirement and investment accounts have had a fantastic year, generally. I got very lucky to buy the dip this time.

Supply and demand are "keeping the gas prices up." Drill more, prices go down. Would be even more helpful if the government allowed more refineries.

Where did you get the correlation between spot and market price? And you know spot prices are a reflection of incremental demand, right? "Unleaded gas closed on the Nymex at 209.32 which should result in a price of around $2.75 when you're filling up."

Reactions: aawash and goldmom
Supply and demand are "keeping the gas prices up." Drill more, prices go down. Would be even more helpful if the government allowed more refineries.

Where did you get the correlation between spot and market price? And you know spot prices are a reflection of incremental demand, right? "Unleaded gas closed on the Nymex at 209.32 which should result in a price of around $2.75 when you're filling up."
Drilling more will do nothing for the pump price if it can't be refined. Prices are moving down because the inventory is already high.

The U.S. capacity to meet this growing demand is limited. Refineries cost billions to build or retrofit for expansion. In the current high gas price environment, they are cash cows. Yet when gasoline prices are low, as was the case just two years ago, they run on razor-thin profit margins.

A rule of thumb is the pump price is around $.65-$.70 above the market price to account for shipping costs and profits. It's obviously not exact but close.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777

It is showing up under $3 around us now and we average the highest prices in the state.

Oil production in the US is at an all time high. Plenty of it is exported.

I got into a National Guard Hummer just after they were deployed in our area during the Blizzard of ‘93. (Multiple of them got stuck and performance was laughed at in deep snow conditions.)
That always seemed to a strange choice to own. Bling, I guess. Whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT