ADVERTISEMENT

Ted Bundy - 40 years ago

I recall both of these events, especially the drowning. It is hard to imagine now that there used to be a huge drainage ditch that ran by the Marching Chiefs practice field (it was nicknamed Budweiser creek) and by the stadium. At the stadium, there were walkways over the ditch from the parking area to the stadium. It was dangerous and an eyesore. I believe it was in the 80's when they finally covered it.

Is that the same ditch that used to be between the Palace and the stadium? There was a pipe that ran across it that we used to walk going to games. Otherwise you'd have to walk down to Lake Bradford Rd (I think) to cross the ditch.

Reactions: squiffynole
Is that the same ditch that used to be between the Palace and the stadium? There was a pipe that ran across it that we used to walk going to games. Otherwise you'd have to walk down to Lake Bradford Rd (I think) to cross the ditch.

Yes, that is Bud Creek. According to google street map, it is still there. It is covered from behind DeGraff Hall to the south side of the stadium.

The bundy murders were long before my time in the U.S. but I have heard the stories, they are horrific. My daughter currently lives in the Southgate Campus Center and her window overlooks the pool / patio of the current Chi O house. She saw the greek letters on the floor mats by the pool when she moved in and immediately recognized their significance.

I had always heard that he hid in Chi O's ritual coffin.....but could have been an urban legend.

Just found this.....in 1984, three Florida prison guards were arrested for selling hacksaw blades to Ted Bundy. Another inmate had a key to Bundy's cell door.

25445897_2063729090513711_101155195080580194_n.jpg

I knew Wiley Clark and Brian Pimm. The inmate that made the keys was named DeFriest. Mr. Duggar was a hell of a man.

We watched the 20/20 episode of Ted Bundy on Friday. The fact that he escaped out of jail not once but twice is unbelievable.

This guy was just nuts. He had an affinity for killing young women. Like when people have a craving for chocolate his craving was killing women. True psychopath.

Reactions: EvilTwin
Others have responded but yes, it is still there. Next door used to be the Chapel of the Resurrection or something like that and I found that ironically appropriate when considering his victims. It is now called the Episcopal University Center.
The Chi Omega house is exactly the same building today. They did refurb the inside and front of the house. Right next door (to the right) was the Silver Dollar that later became the Phyrst; across the sidestreet to The Sweet Shop. Bundy was in that bar the night of the attacks gaining liquid courage and many girls later stating he was looking and acting weird even then. Even one girl joked with her friends, I'm going to dance with this ex-con....

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Bundy was a child out of wedlock. His Mother was only 15 at the time. To hide the shame of those days, he was told his grandmother was his Mother. Once he learned the truth several years later, this is where is hatred of women started. That and his first girlfriend dumped him. He never knew his biological father. Bundy was his step-father who may have physically abused him. Sheriff Ken told Bundy in jail that his problem was not forgiving his Mom and he went ape shit within his cell. He touched the rawest of nerve..... Even without the bite marks, he would have been convicted; but it was great of the Sheriff to get a warrant for those bite marks. And, yes, he was grandstanding while reading the indictment.

Reactions: NoleMac and goldmom
Bundy never stopped pacing. He was always running in his mind. He had dropped weight again to get through the bars that were cut. He was ready to go.

Reactions: EvilTwin
Someone in one of the threads named the teenaged boy, who's father was a JSO Officer, who stopped Bundy from taking a girl (the boy's sister) at the old K-Mart by Stuart Junior High (in West Jax). Does anyone recall the boy's name or remember the post?

Someone in one of the threads named the teenaged boy, who's father was a JSO Officer, who stopped Bundy from taking a girl (the boy's sister) at the old K-Mart by Stuart Junior High (in West Jax). Does anyone recall the boy's name or remember the post?
Danny Parmenter

Reactions: NoleMac
All of that was well before my time. Just watched the Netflix special… that was some crazy stuff! I can’t believe that he escaped twice from the same jail. Unbelievable.

I saw that Netflix show too. It was so creepy to see the picture of the Oaks apartments where he stayed. I lived in that same house in 1989.

Bundy was a child out of wedlock. His Mother was only 15 at the time. To hide the shame of those days, he was told his grandmother was his Mother. Once he learned the truth several years later, this is where is hatred of women started. That and his first girlfriend dumped him. He never knew his biological father. Bundy was his step-father who may have physically abused him. Sheriff Ken told Bundy in jail that his problem was not forgiving his Mom and he went ape shit within his cell. He touched the rawest of nerve..... Even without the bite marks, he would have been convicted; but it was great of the Sheriff to get a warrant for those bite marks. And, yes, he was grandstanding while reading the indictment.
You seem to have much knowledge of this case...are you a professional in a related field?

Most of you won't remember, but there used to be a golf course that was located on either side of the ditch that's now covered on the east side of Doak. I used to play there for practice when I started my investigative career in the early 60's with LCSO. Was working in Orlando when Bundy struck the Chi O house. Just happened to be home in Tally when it happened. Took several classes under Sheriff Ken when he taught at TCC. Before this there were two teenage girls beaten to death at a sinkhole, that's now closed, just south of town. That was the first real shock to hit Tally, then the young women at Chi O. Tally has never been the same.

Reactions: NoleMac
Grew up in Tallahassee but was young in 1978. As a junior at FSU in the summer of 1994 I was working for a construction company that was renovating the Leon Co Jail (next to Mercer Park). I recall we had to stop one afternoon because the State of Fla came in with some welders and removed the cell that they kept Bundy in. The evil was palpable.

Most of you won't remember, but there used to be a golf course that was located on either side of the ditch that's now covered on the east side of Doak. I used to play there for practice when I started my investigative career in the early 60's with LCSO. Was working in Orlando when Bundy struck the Chi O house. Just happened to be home in Tally when it happened. Took several classes under Sheriff Ken when he taught at TCC. Before this there were two teenage girls beaten to death at a sinkhole, that's now closed, just south of town. That was the first real shock to hit Tally, then the young women at Chi O. Tally has never been the same.

Interesting, were the sinkhole murders ever solved? Did they feel Bundy was involved?

Those were always referred to as the Blue Sink murders, if I recall. Don't know if they were ever solved.

If they occurred around the same time that Bundy was in Tallahassee, I believe that is too much of a coincidence to not pin them on him. I wonder if they asked him about them before he met his fate?

If they occurred around the same time that Bundy was in Tallahassee, I believe that is too much of a coincidence to not pin them on him. I wonder if they asked him about them before he met his fate?
Nope. They happened in the 65/66 time frame, before my time at FSU.

Reactions: MagNoleA
The second attack was at a duplex on Dunwoody Street.

The apartment on College Avenue (The Oaks) was where he was one wrong apartment number from being picked up in Tallahassee. It turned out to be the apartment across the hall. The day the SAO investigators got the lead and went to the apartment on College Avenue, someone, who they would later believe to be Bundy based on his description, cracked the apartment door across the hall from where they were standing and watched them briefly, then closed the door. By the time they had the correct apartment number and went back, Bundy had moved out and moved on. They were so close to him.
I’m wondering...how did you guys zero in on Bundy in Tallahassee? He was living under an alias and the only eyewitness didn’t see enough to make a good sketch.

I’m wondering...how did you guys zero in on Bundy in Tallahassee? He was living under an alias and the only eyewitness didn’t see enough to make a good sketch.

You guys????

As I recall, I believe some of the law enforcement people out west (CO & maybe WA) contacted the LCSO & TPD and said the murders sounded like the work of Ted Bundy. At that point, I believe they searched the local Credit Card files, located his name (or known aliases) and narrowed down their search from there.

You have to remember, this was long before fast, reliable computer systems were used by Sheriff Dept's & Credit Card companies and long before the Internet.

And although Sheriff Katsaris does not seem to be well-like by some people on these boards, I believe he was the driving force in putting out an APB for him and chasing him down.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
You guys????

As I recall, I believe some of the law enforcement people out west (CO & maybe WA) contacted the LCSO & TPD and said the murders sounded like the work of Ted Bundy. At that point, I believe they searched the local Credit Card files, located his name (or known aliases) and narrowed down their search from there.

You have to remember, this was long before fast, reliable computer systems were used by Sheriff Dept's & Credit Card companies and long before the Internet.

And although Sheriff Katsaris does not seem to be well-like by some people on these boards, I believe he was the driving force in putting out an APB for him and chasing him down.
You might be misunderstanding me.
I believe there are some in this thread who worked in law enforcement and the state attorneys office at that time...that’s who I was referring to.
I just wasn’t aware that the Tallahassee authorities had a name before he left town and, of course, wasnt aware they had an identity. It makes sense that the link would have come from a phone call from out west...even though it seems like they bungled a lot of other things out there.
It’s always been my opinion the the Fl authorities did a stellar job here...both in the Chi Omega case (bite mark evidence) and the Lake City case (fibers on the body evidence). They even convicted him on the Leach case even though he had 2 death sentences...just to make sure. And that’s the one that ultimately got him.

From watching the Bundy doc on Netflix I don’t think they did have any idea it was him in the Chi O murders until he was arrested in Pensacola. That was one of the big takeaways for me from that doc is how easy someone could get away with this if they just moved around some. There were no databases to track this kind of stuff. Pensacola cops didn’t even know who Bundy was for days because he simply wouldn’t tell them his name, absolutely crazy.

After the Chi Omega attacks, local law enforcement was contacted by Colorado (and possibly Utah) authorities that the MO tracked with Bundy and it could be him. Before that, they had no named suspect.

Reading this thread is literally making me sick to my stomach.

As others have stated, my daughter is a freshman living in Southgate dorm right next to the Chi Omega house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT