10523915_836706489674997_7964183265797100993_n.jpg

598688_497383166940666_1502078375_n.jpg

1989:
dnd0676.jpg

1990-91:
b3hbK4x.png

dU5jshN.png

U4uLIHZ.png

Is this the building that ultimately turned into the Sweet Shop, or was it across Gray street? Thinking it was where Southgate was when I was there. Mid/late 90's.

Is this the building that ultimately turned into the Sweet Shop, or was it across Gray street? Thinking it was where Southgate was when I was there. Mid/late 90's.
It was across the street from Sweet Shop where they put Southgate.

It was sold in the summer of 1991 as I recall. Maybe that fall. It was just before or during my senior year (class of 92). I was there for the final night and still have a beer pitcher I took home with me that night. They resisted selling it for years but finally caved. Now its is a dorm. It was a fun bar . . . spent A LOT of time there in college.

I can't even imagine how many hours I spent in that place.

Probably a good thing it shut down right before we win our first title. By the sounds of it, the Phyrst Phlorida State Phootball Championship Phrolic may have never ended and left a dent in Tallahassee.

I remember drinking beer there, listening to REM. Great times. The guy who lived next to me was (I think) the brother of the owner. Always wondered what happened to that guy.

It's a near certainty that I assisted in emptying some of the kegs shown in the pic from 1984.

It was sold in the summer of 1991 as I recall. Maybe that fall. It was just before or during my senior year (class of 92). I was there for the final night and still have a beer pitcher I took home with me that night. They resisted selling it for years but finally caved. Now its is a dorm. It was a fun bar . . . spent A LOT of time there in college.
That last week was insane.

I can recall walking into Phyrst the night Tyson lost to Buster Douglas on the TV. Great wings and Bladderbust!! I always check the beer pitchers during Bladderbust on the table to make sure they felt cold. Had fraternity brothers that would fill them up with their own pee so the free beer continued.

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
It should make a come back in college town or someone buy the sweet shop & turn it into Phyrst.

I'll be sad when Kens eventually sells out even though it's a smelly cramped bar.

Lived across from the Phyrst in Gilchrist Hall my freshman year ('90-'91). Alas, was too young to go inside and drink. Pretty sure you had to be 21 to enter. Was seeing if I recognized any of the faces from the pics of all the people supporting the troops during the Persian Gulf war. I don't remember that taking place, but it would have been during my freshman year. Don't recognize anyone. Yes, clothes/hairstyles look awful. I don't remember girls looking so frumpy.

The Phyrst was the first bar in which I ever drank beer. It was my senior year of high school, and I went up to Tally to visit my older brother. He told me when I got to town he'd still be in class, but to go to his fraternity house; a couple of our high school friends would meet me there, with his ID, and take me over to the bar & he'd meet us there. We looked a lot alike, so figured I could pass for the pic on his license (and, of course, I knew all the identifying info, birthdate, address, etc).
So I go over to the bar with the other guys, and the bouncer starts giving me crap immediately. "Spell your name. What's your address, what's your birthdate, etc." After a few minutes, he says "I don't believe you are S.L." I say I am. He says, "I KNOW you're not." I say I am. He again says "I know you're not. He's my roommate, you're his little brother. He's over by the dartboards waiting for you with a beer."

Sorry effers.

I don't think you had to be 21, I'm pretty sure the drinking age was 18 at the time. Could never use the bathrooms at Bladderbust, Ron Simmons and Monk Bonesarte had them blocked!

Lived across from the Phyrst in Gilchrist Hall my freshman year ('90-'91). Alas, was too young to go inside and drink. Pretty sure you had to be 21 to enter. Was seeing if I recognized any of the faces from the pics of all the people supporting the troops during the Persian Gulf war. I don't remember that taking place, but it would have been during my freshman year. Don't recognize anyone. Yes, clothes/hairstyles look awful. I don't remember girls looking so frumpy.

Not true. The first two times I drank in there I was 18. Of course I looked older than 18 when I was 18. I had a rather big collection of the wrist bands that they issued.

I don't think you had to be 21, I'm pretty sure the drinking age was 18 at the time. Could never use the bathrooms at Bladderbust, Ron Simmons and Monk Bonesarte had them blocked!

thats why you don't pour from the unguarded, warm pitchers

Had 21.5 dozen in five minutes there one time. Also drank beers one Halloween with a big tongue on my head and shoulders. I went as "Col. Lingus".

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole

The drinking age changed from 18 to 21 while I was in college - I'm pretty sure it was in 1984 but there was some "grandfathering" involved for those who were already legal to drink under the old rules.

The drinking age changed from 18 to 21 while I was in college - I'm pretty sure it was in 1984 but there was some "grandfathering" involved for those who were already legal to drink under the old rules.
Actually, it was raised from 19 to 21 in July 1985. If your 19th birthday was prior to July 1, you were grandfathered in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT