ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game FSU vs. Memphis - THE DAY AFTER.

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
QB
DJ, DJ, DJ, DJ....Maybe if I keep saying his name good will come of it. DJ is not good. We can blame the OL, we can blame the receivers for the drops, we can blame the backs....What ever it is, DJ is not working. I remember Spurrier once saying that Danny W was not good in practice and in a game he looked great. DJ has not worked out and honestly at this point it does not matter who is to blame. TIME TO MOVE ON. You give Glenn the rest of the season and see whether or not he is an option for 2025. I feel if Glenn is not an option, FSU is hitting the portal again. I don't believe that Luke is ready. No one can tell me that FSU is 0-3 if Thomas Costellanos is the QB. When DJ is in there IT IS SO HARD. IT IS HARD TO PASS THE BALL, IT SEEMS HARD TO RUN THE BALL. It is not supposed to be this hard to operate an offense. FSU offense has never been this bad. When Drew was here he was not great but they still had games of over 300 yards. Same with Rix. Even with Blackman. This offense is painful to watch and it starts and ends with the QB posiiton. It may not be fair but like the in the MOVIE the GODFATHER - This is the life we chose....DJ decided to become a QB and you have to take the good with the bad.

RB
First play of the game FSU hands the ball of to Roydell Williams. He bust off a 7 yard gain. You watch the run and the entire offensive line re-set the line of scrimmage. Memphis entire defensive line was on their heels. This was the best run of the season. Roydell got the ball and no one on defense was near him. You saw a different team. 2nd and 2....Same thing. FSU won the line of scrimmage and Memphis defedner comes up and hit the back right in the PERFECT SPOT. What looked like the start of a great day espcially in the run game, disaster struck and Williams fumbled. The worst possible scenario happened. FSU needed that drive to continue to work and FSU take a 7-0 lead.

WR
It gets overlooked but FSU really misses Keon and Johnny. These two were wayyyyyyyyy better blocking. Go and watch the screens FSU runs and it seems like someone is always missing a block. 2nd and 20 on the second drive...Trips to the left....Morlock engages the defender and does his job. Courtney gets tossed to the groud. Coaches harp on exection. This play was there for 7-8 yards but Morlock just gets abused.

TE
Brian Courtney and Kyle Morlock - On the final drive you saw 12 personal...When these two are on the field together, I don't get a real warm and fuzzy feeling. Courtney is not FSU material. He needs to hit the portal or move on. Morlock is coming back...Morlock can still be an option but Landen Thomas needs to play more.

OL
The most experience group on the team -What a major dissapointment. 2nd Drive on offense and a nice run by Kam and TJ Ferguson gets a hold. TJ has not impressed me. I also think some of the other guys have not played well. An OL is ONE UNIT. If one guy breakdowns it impacts the entire play. The line did play better at times but this was supposed to be a strength and right now be the weakness of this team. Keiondre Jones - Now I know why Auburn let the guy go. He is not very good.

DE
Pat Payton - He is FSU best defensive end. Payton is the he only one who gives you a consistent rush off the edge. He does not set the edge well in the run game but in long yardage situations Payton can be money. On the third and eight on the first drive, FSU has Memphis in a good spot, Marvin drops into coverage and was lost. This is not the first time I saw Marvin lost on the field. He either needs to learn what the hell to do or FSU needs to find someone else to fill this spot.

DT
Daniel Lyons will be a good piece for 2025-2026. He is the one kid who seems to play hard on every down. He may make mistakes but Lyons had a sack and seemed to change the line of scrimmage when in the game. Farmer had his best game of the three. He still is undisciplined at times but there is no doubt that when on...He can be good. He had a sack and a TFL on consecutive plays. I feel like FSU could really use Farmer back next year. Forget about the portal...forget about HS...You are not finding another player as talented as Farmer for one season. KEEP HIM. Get his head out of his ass and see what happens next year.

LB
Riley and Justin Cryer are actually pretty good. I think the LB play will actually improve if these two stay healthy. Cryer is a keeper. I feel that he can be an All-Conference type player over the next two years. Riley has improved since game 1. I don't know what happened with Shawn Murphy but how bad is Murphy if he is a scratch for three games. I continue to see glimpses of Nichelson and he will be good down the road. He needs to get in the weight room this off-season and you will see the jump the next season. For a position takes a ton of heat from the fans...Cryer and Nichelson is a good start for the future of FSU linebacker room. Next up with be Jayden Parrish. FSU has some things to work with in 2025-2026. Cryer even when he did not get interceptions still got out into the flats and made plays. He was not liability in pass coverage. Lundy just can't play in fsu scheme.

S
Hussey targeting was questionable at best. I just don't know how a defender can avoid that type of contact. I do think this is the one position that FSU is really hurting most on defense. There is not an Akeem Dent right now.

CB
One thing I noticed on defense is the secondary does not look like they are communicating well. It looked like they were in cover 4 or quarters coverage and the defensive backs seem to be running into each other. They need to trust each other more. The defensive backs which should be the strength did not play well.

Special Teams - Fitzgerald....Gotta give this kid credit. He was terrible early in his career. It just shows you that sometimes it is not the talent that is the issue...Sometimes it is mental. He has come a LONG WAYS to become probably the best field goal kicker in the country. Mastramano is one of the best punters. Now all was not good on special teams. FSU had a penalty on a punt for offsides and two guys ran into each other causing a fumble. B GRADE and would have been an A if not for those mistakes.

Final Thoughts: I am one that rarely ever blames coaching. I feel it is about the Jimmy and Joes and not about the X's and O'S. Good players execute. Good players run the plays right. Good players don't make so many mental mistakes. You want to blame the coaches...blame them for the players they put on the field. This is not a talented team, it is not a good team and it is not a deep team. This is a team that will be lucky to win 6 games this year.

Moving Forward....

QB-Brock Glenn
RB-Kam Davis
WR-Kentron Poitier
WR-Malik Benson
WR-Hykeem Williams
TE-Landen Thomas
OT-Jaylen Early - May have struggled but wont get better on the bench.
OT-Robert Scott
OG-Andre Otto
OG-Julian Armella
C-Maurice Smith

DE-Tomiwa Durojiaye
DE-Pat Payton
DT-Joshua Farmer
DT-Daniel Lyons
LB-Cam Riley
LB-Justin Cryer /Nichelson
DB-Conrad Hussey
DB-Edwin Joseph
DB-AZ Thomas
DB-Fentrell Cypress
DB-Kevin Knowles

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.