ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun Maverick

Any feedback? The “official” reviews say it is great. Just curious about the Warchant viewpoint.
According to CNN It is Cruise's first $100 million opening weekend and 55% of tickets were from people over the age of 35. Color me shocked on the last bit.

I saw it yesterday and thought it was excellent! Lots of nice tie in's to the original and lots of action. I would highly recommend every one was a fan of the first movie to see this one. Tom Cruise doesn't look like he has aged much over the last twenty years.
The original is one of my favorite movies of all time. It introduced me to planes/jets and taught me what a "dog fight" was. The soundtrack was killer too!

Went and saw it at IMAX on Sunday. Was really good. A few cheesy parts and good throwbacks to the original. Aircraft type stuff was generally spot on with only a few Iron Eagle type things. A must see for sure.
Didn't like the first one, but with Geddy's review, I guess I'll see it sometime soon.

Went and saw it at IMAX on Sunday. Was really good. A few cheesy parts and good throwbacks to the original. Aircraft type stuff was generally spot on with only a few Iron Eagle type things. A must see for sure.
Which IMAX tho. I was a projectionist at the IMAX at the CLC back in the day and as someone who learned the INS and outs of IMAX theatres, the one at AMC didn't compare.

Reactions: Random_John
Which IMAX tho. I was a projectionist at the IMAX at the CLC back in the day and as someone who learned the INS and outs of IMAX theatres, the one at AMC didn't compare.
In PCB. I don’t think it’s AMC though.

random question....did your theater have any coming attractions? Mine showed a couple "turn off your phone" and "buy some popcorn" ads and went straight into the movie....don't be late!

de96f8e9_0b67_48d0_be82_96c81d2828d9_dc5ed88366ccf5f268dd2a7f9de24229a5cfc55d.jpeg

Saw it in IMAX and loved it. It really was made in that 80s mold of pro-America, unapologetic ass kicking, exactly what I think more people in this country could benefit from watching. Awesome flight scenes and adrenalizing music. I'll probably see it again.

Last edited:
See it in the dobly immersive. Highly entertaining. Won't be the same on a TV.
i just slide my couch 3 feet forwards and try not to have the neighbors call the cops when it's epic movie night at home. dolby atmos gives me the same massive grin as my OLED.

i won't be able to recreate IMAX but i'll give it my best shot!

i just slide my couch 3 feet forwards and try not to have the neighbors call the cops when it's epic movie night at home. dolby atmos gives me the same massive grin as my OLED.

i won't be able to recreate IMAX but i'll give it my best shot!
That Dolby immersive experience is something else. It's not imax.

random question....did your theater have any coming attractions? Mine showed a couple "turn off your phone" and "buy some popcorn" ads and went straight into the movie....don't be late!
The one I went to had 5 or 6 coming attractions like Avatar 2, MI8 part 1, a couple of Marvel movies (yawn) and a couple I dont remember then about 15 minutes of commercials. Ticket said 1 pm but the movie didn't actually start until 1:30. :(

That Dolby immersive experience is something else. It's not imax.
are you rolling a couple of different technologies together into that? dolby has atmos for immersive sound that is installed in most theaters and dolby cinema that is available in certain AMC theaters. dolby cinema rolls together doby atmos and dolby vision and upgrades the seating, adds shakers to the seats and lighting effects.

ScreenX and Barco on the other hand provide a multi-projector wrap to create a 270 degree viewing area bringing visual immersion to sound immersion.

i also use a philips hue sync box with my HT setup. i originally bought it solely to provide some rear ambiance light to relieve eye strain but it does a surprisingly good job of expanding the visual experience. i can limit it to using just the strips behind the tv and entertainment console or combine those with 8 overhead can lights.

not mine but this is essentially how it looks in operation.

are you rolling a couple of different technologies together into that? dolby has atmos for immersive sound that is installed in most theaters and dolby cinema that is available in certain AMC theaters. dolby cinema rolls together doby atmos and dolby vision and upgrades the seating, adds shakers to the seats and lighting effects.

ScreenX and Barco on the other hand provide a multi-projector wrap to create a 270 degree viewing area bringing visual immersion to sound immersion.

i also use a philips hue sync box with my HT setup. i originally bought it solely to provide some rear ambiance light to relieve eye strain but it does a surprisingly good job of expanding the visual experience. i can limit it to using just the strips behind the tv and entertainment console or combine those with 8 overhead can lights.

not mine but this is essentially how it looks in operation.
oh my...I thought I was "cutting edge" when I got surround sound :-(

The one I went to had 5 or 6 coming attractions like Avatar 2, MI8 part 1, a couple of Marvel movies (yawn) and a couple I dont remember then about 15 minutes of commercials. Ticket said 1 pm but the movie didn't actually start until 1:30. :(
Maybe mine was just saving time on opening weekend....this is my favorite part about the reserved seating...skipping all that crap. When there's a movie I want to see I don't want any glimpse of it beforehand

Maybe mine was just saving time on opening weekend....this is my favorite part about the reserved seating...skipping all that crap. When there's a movie I want to see I don't want any glimpse of it beforehand
Yeah this was reserved seating too but still had all the BS before the movie. Ill know better next time to go 20 minutes after the start time.

Yeah this was reserved seating too but still had all the BS before the movie. Ill know better next time to go 20 minutes after the start time.
I was in the popcorn line and stepped foot into the actual theater just as the 1st note of the opening song (Danger zone) played.

It is a really good movie. Very well done. I was surprised at how good it was.
Really good movie. Much better than expected my wife cried during the movie.

Tom Cruise kind of played more of a mature father caring vulnerable figure. Wasn't the alpha male everybody was expecting. Really well done.

I'm going to see y it again

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT