ADVERTISEMENT

Top Gun Maverick

de96f8e9_0b67_48d0_be82_96c81d2828d9_dc5ed88366ccf5f268dd2a7f9de24229a5cfc55d.jpeg
LOL
Off you went into the wild blue yonder, right?

Reactions: Random_John
i think enough time has passed now that spoilers should be limited but if there are any i apologize in advance.

there aren't many movies that are a must see in the theater for me but the moment i heard about Maverick it was circled on the calendar. thanks for the extra wait, covid... ugh.

storyline wise they did a decent job of tacking on to the original. i highly recommend watching the original before Maverick to save the one burning question most probably had leaving the theater (although you have to watch the original very closely to get the answer!).

i watched it in ScreenX (270 degree multi screen wrap) and highly recommend this. They didn't go all bells and whistles with the ScreenX production which was probably the best compromise to avoid viewers getting motion sickness. it wouldn't have hurt my feelings though if they had gone balls to the wall - ScreenX can induce the feeling of motion and Maverick had no shortage of scenes that would have been epic.

i've heard many comment that Maverick is better than the original. that's a yes and no for me. it's better from the flight visuals standpoint but didn't have the truly unexpected (goose getting killed) of the original despite them trying. ultimately i went to this movie to see the flight scenes and, for me, it scored massively in ScreenX.

i'd love to hear from some of our board pilots that can give an accuracy account - particularly with regard to some of the stuff they did with the SU-57.

lastly, monica barbaro is smokin'. that is all. 😁

i think enough time has passed now that spoilers should be limited but if there are any i apologize in advance.

there aren't many movies that are a must see in the theater for me but the moment i heard about Maverick it was circled on the calendar. thanks for the extra wait, covid... ugh.

storyline wise they did a decent job of tacking on to the original. i highly recommend watching the original before Maverick to save the one burning question most probably had leaving the theater (although you have to watch the original very closely to get the answer!).

i watched it in ScreenX (270 degree multi screen wrap) and highly recommend this. They didn't go all bells and whistles with the ScreenX production which was probably the best compromise to avoid viewers getting motion sickness. it wouldn't have hurt my feelings though if they had gone balls to the wall - ScreenX can induce the feeling of motion and Maverick had no shortage of scenes that would have been epic.

i've heard many comment that Maverick is better than the original. that's a yes and no for me. it's better from the flight visuals standpoint but didn't have the truly unexpected (goose getting killed) of the original despite them trying. ultimately i went to this movie to see the flight scenes and, for me, it scored massively in ScreenX.

i'd love to hear from some of our board pilots that can give an accuracy account - particularly with regard to some of the stuff they did with the SU-57.

What are the chances of finding a FMC Fully Armed F-14 at a enemy airfield after years of questionable maintenance? As someone with 20+years experience in that area and working on many foreign sales with different countries I can tell you the answer is almost 0.

Navy Top gun is at Fallon not North Island. It moved in 96.

The scene where the cruise missiles passed the F-18's was cool but not realistic.

Why not kill the SAM sites with Wild Weasels? If your going to hit an airfield with cruise missiles your already pot committed.

All that said I liked the movie. Except for I cant figure the Penny Benjamin part. Why bring her back with Charlies Porsche?

All that said I liked the movie. Except for I cant figure the Penny Benjamin part. Why bring her back with Charlies Porsche?
Penny is able to be understood solely from reference to the "Admiral's daughter" in a couple of scenes in the original. Charlie's Porsche was a black 356 vs the silver 911 s in Maverick.

What are the chances of finding a FMC Fully Armed F-14 at a enemy airfield after years of questionable maintenance? As someone with 20+years experience in that area and working on many foreign sales with different countries I can tell you the answer is almost 0.

Navy Top gun is at Fallon not North Island. It moved in 96.

The scene where the cruise missiles passed the F-18's was cool but not realistic.

Why not kill the SAM sites with Wild Weasels? If your going to hit an airfield with cruise missiles your already pot committed.

Also, a Mach 10 ejection is not survivable.

Penny is able to be understood solely from reference to the "Admiral's daughter" in a couple of scenes in the original. Charlie's Porsche was a black 356 vs the silver 911 s in Maverick.
Got the Penny part from the first one but had the Porsche mixed up.

Reactions: GbrNole
Can that SU-57 move like they showed it or were they taking liberties there? The scene where the pilot essentially performs an air donut was incredible.

Can that SU-57 move like they showed it or were they taking liberties there? The scene where the pilot essentially performs an air donut was incredible.
While it looked a little sped up to me, yes I think it can.

What are you referring to (bolded part)?

The SU 57 does have thrust vectoring which would allow it to do many maneuvers at lower speeds essentially stalling in mid air and being able to recover. I've seen them at a few airshows and they can do some pretty cool maneuvers. However, the F-22, 35, 15 and 16 do some awesome stuff too at airshows. Ukraine has managed to shootdown some SU 57's as well so they are just like other jets in that respect.

Reactions: nynole1 and GbrNole
What are you referring to (bolded part)?
Maybe where Penny Benjamin came from? I had to rewatch the first one but she's the Admirals daughter Maverick gets in trouble for. She's mentioned a couple times by Goose and Gooses wife in the first movie. My question is the daughter. Is it his or not?

Reactions: mjpwooo and GbrNole
Maybe where Penny Benjamin came from? I had to rewatch the first one but she's the Admirals daughter Maverick gets in trouble for. She's mentioned a couple times by Goose and Gooses wife in the first movie. My question is the daughter. Is it his or not?
She's not. They mention her Dad in the first scene with her I think.

Reactions: Psalm51 and GbrNole
I'm coming late to the party just saw it today at IMAX fantastic better than the first but the first was truly original. The opening scene was just as dramatic with the same soundtrack. There was more flying in this one and not the extra plot of the romance. Some throwbacks to the first film such as the football game on the beach definitely will see it again in the next few days.

I saw the first one in the theater five times and went to the Navy recruiter office. My scores were competitive to forward me on but it didn't work out.

I took my youngest flying in cessna's when he was a little guy and he caught the bug since he was 3 years old. Never lost the bug. Now he's flying f-18 super hornets living his dream and I live my dream through him.

The SU 57 does have thrust vectoring which would allow it to do many maneuvers at lower speeds essentially stalling in mid air and being able to recover. I've seen them at a few airshows and they can do some pretty cool maneuvers. However, the F-22, 35, 15 and 16 do some awesome stuff too at airshows. Ukraine has managed to shootdown some SU 57's as well so they are just like other jets in that respect.
Yeah, did a lot of air shows, especially overseas. The one plane that amazed me most was the F-22. Insane maneuverability and capabilities.

Actually read an article that said Miles Teller wanted to come to Florida State because his friends were coming here.
My favorite miles teller movie is war dogs but that might be because of ana de armas! 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT