ADVERTISEMENT

TWD Midseason Finale

Like I said earlier it was Gimple's decision to off Carl. And he's doing it to keep a part of the comic story arc in play. Everyone was shocked when they got the scripts. It sucks too, finally started to like the kid.

Well on the one hand a zombie bite in TWD doesn’t have to be fatal. That’s not how the zombie virus is spread, everyone already has it and it just turns on when you die. The threat of zombie bites is because it’s gross and has a mouth full of rot and bacteria. But with antibiotics it should be survivable.

Having said that....the actor who plays “Coral” said he’s only in one more episode and then he’s dead.
While true, a bite does speed up the infection or death.

Well on the one hand a zombie bite in TWD doesn’t have to be fatal. That’s not how the zombie virus is spread, everyone already has it and it just turns on when you die. The threat of zombie bites is because it’s gross and has a mouth full of rot and bacteria. But with antibiotics it should be survivable.

Having said that....the actor who plays “Coral” said he’s only in one more episode and then he’s dead.
While true, a bite does speed up the infection or death.

Think it was season 1 or 2 where someone was bit and quickly got very sick. They ended up leaving them by a tree to die and drove off. Which was a little different than the person at the CDC explanation of this virus.

Think it was season 1 or 2 where someone was bit and quickly got very sick. They ended up leaving them by a tree to die and drove off. Which was a little different than the person at the CDC explanation of this virus.

Yeah, they haven’t stayed consistent probably just for dramatic reasons. But according to the creator, the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks is in essence the Bible to TWD and FTWD. And in that, zombie bites have nothing to do with the spread of the zombie virus but can kill relatively quickly due to the amount of bacteria (zombies don’t have active immune systems in their semi alive state so regular bacteria spreads like crazy).

Any chance Father Gabriel is bit? Maybe during the season opening attack against the Saviors?

I think if he'd been bitten it would've been when he and Negan were trying to get from where they were isolated, into the Sanctuary. But I doubt they'd have two characters bitten & sick at the same time.

Thanks. So do you think he’s turning or just sick?

One of the theories/guesses I read was that he maybe had radiation poisoning. There'd been a scene where they were passing through some water & barrels marked as toxic, and there were a bunch of zombies in the area. Thought was that the walkers were contaminated.

A co-worker who religiously follows this told me that Carl's dad is running a walking dead our operation in Atlanta and the powers of TWD are not happy about it ($$$$$), so this is part of the reason that Carl is being killed off.

A co-worker who religiously follows this told me that Carl's dad is running a walking dead our operation in Atlanta and the powers of TWD are not happy about it ($$$$$), so this is part of the reason that Carl is being killed off.
I read a story online where Carl's real-life dad was doing all sorts of complaining about him being killed off. He sounded like a gravy-training jerkoff. Made me feel bad for the actor who plays Carl.

Reactions: jim65
I read a story online where Carl's real-life dad was doing all sorts of complaining about him being killed off. He sounded like a gravy-training jerkoff. Made me feel bad for the actor who plays Carl.

I read something similar.

The ratings were some of the lowest for a midseason finale. Think since 2011. Will be interesting to see who comes back to watch when the show returns. Think the show really only has 1.5 seasons in it. Should have ended 2 season ago in my opinion.

Anyone else notice that Eugene called Gabriel by the actor's real name? Fairly certain I heard him call him Seth in one of his drawn out diatribes.

So Maggie is pretty much not pregnant now, right?

Anyone else notice that Eugene called Gabriel by the actor's real name? Fairly certain I heard him call him Seth in one of his drawn out diatribes.

So Maggie is pretty much not pregnant now, right?
Several of those diatribes I just tuned out as they were so worthless. So to answer your question if he did I probably missed it.

I'd be a little pissed if I was the Riggs family also. Granted I haven't seen/read anything about Mr. Riggs. Chandler delayed going to college and had just bought a house because he was committed to the show. He was blindsided by Gimple. Not a good way to treat one of the few original cast members.

When Eugene talks, I rarely listen. I despise that coward.

I'm still pissed Maggie's pregnancy is still a thing. Even though this has all be drawn out way too long, not that much time has passed since Glenn/Abrahams death. She wouldn't be showing. I'd expect he too look pregnant next season.

I'd be a little pissed if I was the Riggs family also. Granted I haven't seen/read anything about Mr. Riggs. Chandler delayed going to college and had just bought a house because he was committed to the show. He was blindsided by Gimple. Not a good way to treat one of the few original cast members.

When Eugene talks, I rarely listen. I despise that coward.

I'm still pissed Maggie's pregnancy is still a thing. Even though this has all be drawn out way too long, not that much time has passed since Glenn/Abrahams death. She wouldn't be showing. I'd expect he too look pregnant next season.

Yeah, hasn't the indication been that the timeframe since they struck back only been like a day or so?

Of course, Judith has grown up significantly in the few hours that have elapsed this season. She's going to make Rick a grampa before Maggie starts to show.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
Yeah this whole first half of the season has been 2 days maybe 3. After they all left the Sanctuary the first time, Ricks letters said to meet back in 2 days to end it.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Speculated, internally, at the time... could a potential story arc be that the baby "rescued" by Rick at the outpost and brought to Hilltop be the replacement baby for Maggie once it's revealed that she miscarried?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
But but but...that baby is the spawn of Glen and Maggie. The savior of all in the world. Yea, I agree with you.
Part of me thinks you're right. The creators are going to keep this show going and in Season 28 Glen Jr will sneak up behind Negan's wheelchair and narrowly miss taking him out.

Reactions: ericram
I actually like Eugene since he switched to Team Negan. Prior to that, he could have died and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Finally got around to watching this season. I understand you have to suspend reality for this show but wow some of the stuff is just so out of control dumb. Every single scene with the junk yard people made me contemplate quitting the show for good. In the last few years this show has fallen so far beyond numerous Netflix and HBO shows for me. It used to be must watch TV and now it's just a show that I pass over on my DVR until I'm bored out of my mind.

Reactions: dmm5157
Finally got around to watching this season. I understand you have to suspend reality for this show but wow some of the stuff is just so out of control dumb. Every single scene with the junk yard people made me contemplate quitting the show for good. In the last few years this show has fallen so far beyond numerous Netflix and HBO shows for me. It used to be must watch TV and now it's just a show that I pass over on my DVR until I'm bored out of my mind.

For whatever reason I've decided that I'm committed through the end of the All Out War storyline with Negan (Maybe because that's how far I read in the comics before I quit those as well). But once that is over I have a feeling I'll be doing the same.

For whatever reason I've decided that I'm committed through the end of the All Out War storyline with Negan (Maybe because that's how far I read in the comics before I quit those as well). But once that is over I have a feeling I'll be doing the same.
I'm already watching it 2-3 days after it airs, and sometimes forgetting to watch it at all till a week later.

That said, I think I'll stay through to the end, but I reserve the right to completely go back on this statement.

I have no baseline from comics, so its all new to me.

1) Sucks for Chandler Riggs if there is external drama that is impacting his professional career. Killing someone off because of a personal feud is no different than firing someone. Just uses a chicken-stuff method to do it. Carl has never really drawn me in. His recent "lets all get along" just bugs me.
2) While I try to suspend reality for a number of shows, at some point the silliness of the story line just begins to overshadow the show. Saviors were pinned back and suddenly mounted an offensive on three prongs that decimate Alexandria and The Kingdom AND caught Maggie's convoy underway and beat them down with no violence?
3) I still like the show, but my fandom is wavering. What I originally enjoyed about is was the how do people rebuild once the reset button is hit. I didn't need the show to feel like it needs to constantly up the ante and make the next thing bigger and better and more shocking than the last. Thats when the writing has lost their way.
4) The constant cliff hangers at the end of each episode and season is just getting beyond stupid. People don't need the drama spikes between shows, either they will watch or not, but over using the technique ALL THE DAMN TIME just defeats the value of it.
5) I finally watched the latest episode last night, thats my sign that the show is no longer must see tv for me.

And one more thing, the use of flash forward/flash back timelines seems to be getting harder and hard to follow. There isn't nearly as much clarity on when / where we are jumping. Its almost like they forget that the audience isn't in the writing room and then just expect us to instantly "get it". And I feel like it leaves holes that don't get explained. e.g. when exactly were Carl and Rick walking with the gas can discussing how Rick should just get along with Negan?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoNolesTX
I have no baseline from comics, so its all new to me.

1) Sucks for Chandler Riggs if there is external drama that is impacting his professional career. Killing someone off because of a personal feud is no different than firing someone. Just uses a chicken-stuff method to do it. Carl has never really drawn me in. His recent "lets all get along" just bugs me.
2) While I try to suspend reality for a number of shows, at some point the silliness of the story line just begins to overshadow the show. Saviors were pinned back and suddenly mounted an offensive on three prongs that decimate Alexandria and The Kingdom AND caught Maggie's convoy underway and beat them down with no violence?
3) I still like the show, but my fandom is wavering. What I originally enjoyed about is was the how do people rebuild once the reset button is hit. I didn't need the show to feel like it needs to constantly up the ante and make the next thing bigger and better and more shocking than the last. Thats when the writing has lost their way.
4) The constant cliff hangers at the end of each episode and season is just getting beyond stupid. People don't need the drama spikes between shows, either they will watch or not, but over using the technique ALL THE DAMN TIME just defeats the value of it.
5) I finally watched the latest episode last night, thats my sign that the show is no longer must see tv for me.

And one more thing, the use of flash forward/flash back timelines seems to be getting harder and hard to follow. There isn't nearly as much clarity on when / where we are jumping. Its almost like they forget that the audience isn't in the writing room and then just expect us to instantly "get it". And I feel like it leaves holes that don't get explained. e.g. when exactly were Carl and Rick walking with the gas can discussing how Rick should just get along with Negan?
Good summary. #4 is the worst item for me. I started off watching The Walking Dead thinking it was a cool show that could stand on it's own merits and entertain me for 42 minutes but somewhere along the way they became totally addicted to using cheap TV tactics and turning it into a low budget soap opera. The episodes are so predictable and formulaic at this point. It's basically a whole lot of NOTHING for 40 minutes and then a big cliffhanger in the last 2 minutes. I'm tired of watching a 42 minute show and only caring about the last 2 minutes of it.

The flashback/flashforward stuff is what has annoyed me the most this season - especially when combined with the indications that the whole battle this season has taken place in only a couple of days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT