ADVERTISEMENT

Update on College Town?

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Anything new with the development of college town? New bars, restaurants, shops, etc. Will the property where America's Backyard was suppose to be built remain a parking lot?

What are plans for the old IM field?

Phase II has broken ground. Not sure they will do anything with the IM fields because where are you going to put them on campus? There isn't a place. Phase II will have a parking garage and will be located along Madison St - will tie in nicely with the Madison Mile project and the Arena District/Gaines St projects.

The 2nd phase has been approved, that's all I can say for certain. I hear things but nothing I know for a fact. It was a big topic in our meetings when it 1st started but I never hear much about what direction they are taking any more. I do know it's doing great and the project is full speed ahead. That whole area is going great, Gaines is building up fast also.

Love the idea. Hope it just lives up to its name "College Town" and they throw some more bars in there and less pricey restaurants.

Phase II has broken ground. Not sure they will do anything with the IM fields because where are you going to put them on campus? There isn't a place. Phase II will have a parking garage and will be located along Madison St - will tie in nicely with the Madison Mile project and the Arena District/Gaines St projects.

FSU recently built the Rec SportsPlex. A 108 acre off-campus IM facility where all the intramural events take place.

http://campusrec.fsu.edu/sports/facilities

Wow, that's a heck of a long way from campus. I understand FSU's space limitations but it's kind of a shame, IMO. A lot of the college "feel" is having everything in the same place.

Land was cheap and IM's have become too big to hold everything at the old IM fields. And all the wear and tear it gets from gameday parking really makes it a bad playing surface for the students. It's still open as a recreational field but very few organized events are held there.

Wow, that's a heck of a long way from campus. I understand FSU's space limitations but it's kind of a shame, IMO. A lot of the college "feel" is having everything in the same place.

I agree. When I was there the I'M fields were across from Tully. That was nice playing there. Too bad they couldn't have kept it on the main campus somewhere.

How much more retail is going in down there? It feels like apartments and condos are what's going in. With that said, how is the housing market being affected in town? One would think with that many complexes being built there and around the University that prices will have to come down due to over supply. I just don't see that many people moving to tallahassee as there is no industry to draw them. Sure, there's a college but if the kids move there what happens to all the complexes away from the University. Someone is going to lose out and I hope it doesn't negatively impact our community.

Who needs to grill when you can enjoy a $15 hamburger at any of our fine establishments. Over 50 beers on tap served in plastic cups and reasonably priced at just $8.75 per 20 oz pour on Gamedays. Step into the AC and join us for your next tailgate. We'll see you here!

J/k

Who needs to grill when you can enjoy a $15 hamburger at any of our fine establishments. Over 50 beers on tap served in plastic cups and reasonably priced at just $8.75 per 20 oz pour on Gamedays. Step into the AC and join us for your next tailgate. We'll see you here!

J/k
Exactly, You and the rest of the poors can sit at your tailgate drinking Natty light.

I remember so many naysayers on both the Gaines Street corridor make over and the College Town idea, with many predicting they would be failures. What a transformation.

Reactions: Sawyer55
Land was cheap and IM's have become too big to hold everything at the old IM fields. And all the wear and tear it gets from gameday parking really makes it a bad playing surface for the students. It's still open as a recreational field but very few organized events are held there.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of those IM fields at all. It would be a terrible shame to get rid of one of the few open spaces on campus.

There is plenty of property in that area south of Gaines that could be redeveloped.

College Town II is fully funded, and is a definite "go."

It'll contain 25,000+ sq. ft. of retail, five floors of student housing above the retail, and a 596 space stacked parking garage.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT