ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from Monday press conferences (videos of Norvell, Thomsen, Fuller)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
What's up, folks?
The Monday press conferences are supposed to get started around noon. We're going to get Norvell, Fuller and Thomsen.
So hang tight and we'll see you in about half an hour.

Norvell is here. He's a in a suit. Looks to be at his house.

"Obviously a little bit different press conference for me. Definitely excited about this week, excited about the opportunity in front of us."
Says last week was almost solely about getting better themselves. "We understand the importance of this game ... excited about the showcase ... and the opportunity in front of us. ... The importance of this team for our team, our program, our fan base ... one of the best rivalries in college football."

He said they had normal Sunday practice. Said the video crew did an extraordinary job and he was able to have access to multiple cameras on both fields and go back and forth in real time ... and through speakers he could communicate with coaches on what he could see. "We had our normal virtual meetings ... was able to lead the team meeting, was in all the other meetings that we had ... and also the flexibility to move around in individual meetings as well. ... That's one of the great things about technology."

"We have a plan in place if any member of our staff or organization if this is to occur .. obviously I was surprised by the result. It's saddening. It hurts. I don't get to be around our guys for the next 10 days. ... That's probably one of the biggest challenges, being home, being isolated, not being able to be able to hug my daughter and my wife." He says this is an opportunity for entire team to show how it responds to adversity, "Now i have a chance to be an example. ... I can definitely control that response."

He says he feels fine. No symptoms.
He says everything runs through his computer. "Pretty good setup, I have access to go to different cameras as practice is going on. I was unsure how easy and functional it would operate, but it was pretty good." ... He says he is excited about what the technology can allow him to do, "and go about business as well as we possibly can."

On Gameday: "Ill be able to serve my role up until the guys leave the hotel." Says they're exploring all options, but when it comes to in-person, head coaching responsibilities, he says Thomsen "has done a remarkable job with his opportunity as a head coach (earlier in his career). ... One of the greatest talents of Chris Thomsen is how guys respond to him. ... I knew that he wanted him to be a part of this staff, not only what he brings Xs and Os but what he brings in leadership."

How he got it: "I am not aware of how I came into contact with it. That's one of the challenges of this, and it was definitely surprising when I did have the positive result that came back. ... We've gone through our process and feel very confident how things will continue on not only this week but the rest of the season." Didn't really answer if any other coaches or players were being held out because of the tracing.

On Hamsah: "We're going to continue to go through this week and evaluate where he's at. ... He's an incredible leader, a phenomenal football player, brings such value .... it's great to see him out on the football field moving around ... so we'll continue to track that as the week goes on."

He says a week from today is when he's anticipating to return to on-field activities, but obviously has to test negative.
"This is extremely disappointing. This game is one of the great games in all of college football. When I got this job, this game and Florida ... games that mean so much to so many. ... So, not being able to be active for the 3 1/2 hours that game is taking place is going to hurt. ... But the reality is I do get to make an impact (in preparation). ... I get the chance to be an example for our team and continue to do my job to the best of my ability."

On Dillingham: "I have ultimate confidence. ... If I'm not able to be a part of it, he's going to be ready for it and do an extraordinary job with it." Says they have a very similar thought process and he says he has the ultimate confidence in what that will look like.

On telling team: "We had a Zoom call when I knew that I had the positive test. ... I've got the ultimate confidence that I've done everything in my power to do things the right way. I haven't gone and put myself in any jeopardizing situations ... this is something that there aren't any answers to this how this occurred. ... Missing Saturday's walk through, the first time in my coaching career I ever had to miss a practice, that was emotional for me. ... I get emotional thinking about not being out there tomorrow ... I still have an opportunity to impact."

He says anytime there is a positive test it definitely gets retested. Says he has a lot of confidence in testing and procedures.

He says being able to operate virtually throughout the summer has made this transition easier.
"We're going to play the guys this Saturday that we feel give us the best opportunity to win ... that's how we're going to prepare."

On Lashlee (Miami OC): "I've known him for a long time. A lot of respect for him and the job he's done throughout his coaching career. Definitely one of the sharpest and best offensive coordinators in the country. He's got this offense playing with a lot of confidence. ... We're going to have to do a great job defensively in all aspects."

"You have to build confidence in your preparation. Once we leave the hotel, the active decisions and game day, we're going to have a plan for what we want to do and how we want to do it. ... As a staff we will have that plan ready, and I have confidence that we'll be able to execute the plan in place. .... We have to take that confidence in our preparation."

"I can't do anything actively throughout the game. ... We've got a lot of exploring throughout the process ... if I'm not able to be there, and be present, Tony Tokars would go and be one of the full-time coaching positions and Coach Thomsen will come down to the field to do the head coaching assignment." ... Sounds like they're trying to figure out a way if he can somehow be quarantined at the stadium? He said as long as he's remote, he can't communicate with the coaches during the game. But I could've misunderstood him. So, go back and watch the video and see what you think!

Kaindoh and Love-Taylor: Says they'll see how it goes over the course of practice the next few days.
And that's a wrap for Norvell!

Chris Thomsen is up next

"I think they've handled it great. Sunday practice I thought they have done a great job, showed a very mature approach. I think they have shown a great focus now. ... I think they're motivated and excited to be back on the practice field on Tuesday."

"Literally Coach was positioned right behind the offense in some instances. ... He was able to get his eyes on any drill he wants to be in. ... That would have been something that was a little bit of a surprise a year ago ..." but says the way they've adjusted to Zoom and technology "it's just another tool to help you operate."

"It really isn't much of a change. All spring we operated that way with the team. Even getting back in June, we could still not meet with the team in person ... I think for the players and us as coaches it's really not that big of a deal at all. ... Just roll with it and go.

"I think it helps a lot. It helps me personally because I've been in this situation. ... Not really that big of a transition for any of us." Said they all kind of expected something like this to happen, "it's all about implementing the plan going forward."

"Everybody's got their own personality and the way they approach things ... Coach is really in front of the team. Yesterday he ran the staff meeting and the team meeting virtually. His voice is still the key thing out in front." He says his job is just to fill in the gaps as much as possible.

"Coach is probably a little bit more vocal than I am as a leader. But the thing that's the same is the same thought process, the same philosophical ideas, ... how you want them to approach game day, etc. .... that's the most important thing. ... The approach and what you get from the players. His voice is going to be prevalent throughout the week."

He says the team has a lot of veterans and high-character guys.

"It surprised me for maybe one second when he called me on the phone. He called me on Saturday morning .. but the way 2020 goes I think we've all kind of learned to expect those kinds of things. ... The way these guys have responded is what's so encouraging to me. I'm really excited about the week and the things we can accomplish."

"The great thing about Tony (Tokarz) is that he coached the tight ends at Memphis last year. .. That part of the communication will be smooth." He says he doesn't see a lot of difference in the communication with Tokarz being added to the booth. Because he's so familiar with Norvell and Dillingham and the offense.

"Coach Fuller is obviously the leader of the defense and they're used to his voice .... Says Dillingham and Papuchis are very vocal leading their sides as well ... "the players are used to their voices." ... He said he sensed an adjustment from the players, knowing that Norvell wasn't out there .... "He's figured out a way to get his voice at practice. Trust me. ... The bottom line is to get these guys ready to play on Saturday."

"I've been a part of some really great rivalry games as a coach. Growing up in Texas, being a fan of Florida State, being a huge fan of Coach Bowden ... said former assistant Jim Gladden used to come out and recruit his area.... I'm really excited to be a part of it, to feel the energy of that game, to fell the competitiveness of that game ... I'm really looking forward to that."

"I'll be coaching the tight ends. Ill be doing what I normally do ... And again, Coach will be able to virtually see all of this stuff. And he'll be able to make corrections at practice. So I don't see practice operating a whole lot differently."

And that's it for Thomsen.
Adam Fuller is up next.

"Mike let me know that morning when he found out. ... We were in the office. ... Things happen, we're just here to support Mike."

On Hamsah: "He's still progressing. He's working his butt off. He wants to be back as soon as possible. ... His history here at Florida State, he's definitely someone that has has an impact in this league. ... I know he really wants to be back, time will see if that happens, but we're definitely looking forward to it when it happens ... we're working through it every day with him practice, training rooms, meeting rooms.

On Miami's offense: "Playing with a lot of confidence ... The quarterback has brought a lot of that, I'm sure ... They've run the ball when they wanted to run the ball ... they're playing at a high level ... they're definitely a challenge right now."

Said a lot of last week was just "self-building," but they did implement some stuff for the Miami game because they have a history of going up against Lashlee, the OC ... "It was a good week and we definitely took advantage of it," and he said they were able to get some movement around in different positions. Did not elaborate.

"Yesterday was the first time it was a full focus on Miami. ... One of the great rivalries in college football ... our guys are excited to play, we've just got to focus our enthusiasm."

"Any play-caller plays to the quarterback. Last year (at SMU) they were operating at a really high level. ... There's a lot more similarities than differences ... obviously the quarterbacks being a little bit different, some plays will tilt different to the quarterback he has this year ... there's a lot of 'same as'

"It starts with the quarterback. What are his strengths, what are they going to go to?" Said the key on defense is trying to figure out a way to stop his strengths.

On man coverage: "I think its still situationally based. I think the quarterback does mandate certain things, but if you sit back and wait for him you have to tackle him in space. If you pressure him, you're going to have to tackle him in space. ... You've got to make sure he doesn't have a clean sight line for his throws, that he doesn't have clean angles so he can escape. ... When he hands the ball off this year they've had a boat load of success .... He's put a lot of things on tape early in his career at Miami that poses a challenge for our defense."

"That Sunday night (after GT) we had a really good practice. The challenge of that ... is maintaining that through a bye week and a game week. ... It's always the balance of that we're working toward our best and (focusing on the opponent). .... It's our job to make sure that all of that energy and all of that intent is pointed in the right direction so we can go out and execute ... and give ourselves the best chance to go out and win on Saturday night."

That's a wrap for Fuller.
That's a wrap for today.

You're welcome. Stay safe. We love you. See you tomorrow.

Clark. Out.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News