ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from Norvell Signing Day press conference -- (w/ video & transcript)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
TRANSCRIPT

Slight hiccup on the video -- about 2 mins went out after Norvell was done with his opening statement.

OK. He's here. Early.
"This is one of my favorite days of the year. ... It's a great day. It's been an incredible last week ... been able to get into a lot of homes, a lot of high schools, to be able to have the opportunity to spread the vision."

"To be able to add 15 guys at this time to our football family is pretty special. There were some signing day surprises, come celebrations."

"We wanted to address a need at the quarterback position. ... To go out and get what I believe are two of the best quarterbacks in the country in this year's class, for both to sign here today in December, it's definitely a dynamic group."

"(Chubba) the thing that separates him is his IQ. ... Excited to be able to have him join the program today." ... Said Purdy has a great arm and is a capable runner, too.

Norvell says Rodemaker's IQ excites him, too. Son of a coach. Said he had another official after his one to Tallahassee but cancelled it after being with the new coaching staff.

On Oline: "There are still a couple of spots we're excited to fill there." ... Both of the two that signed today are "tough, physical, smart. ... Those guys were both here this weekend and really enjoyed seeing the camraderie that those two guys have."

Boatright: "Great size, great potential here. Not only as a run-blocker but what he can do in the passing game. That's going to be a big staple for our offense. ... We thought he was the right fit for what we were looking for."

On RB: "Obviously there is a need there." Says he'll continue to address that during this recruiting cycle but says about Toafili: "One of the best running backs in the country. ... He fell in love with this offense the first time he saw it. Done a lot of research on me and my past and I could not be more excited. I think he's a perfect fit for what we're looking for."

On WR, says he's most excited about what they did at that position. "Great young men that are coming to our program. I believe there will be a couple of others that will join in the next few days."

On Griffis: "He's a young man that loves Florida State. ... He committed (to Louisville), but he gave us an opportunity. I will be forever grateful for that. ... Has the skillset to come in and compete early in his career. ... That was a big-time addition for us today."

On Manny Rogers: "Probably one of the most impressive builds of any of the players in this class. ... Coach Odell Haggins ... said he believes he was the best defensive lineman in the state of Florida. ... We think he'll have a chance to contribute early. ... We absolutely believe he has a special talent."

On Dix, Jr. "This young man is all ball all the time. ... Every person in (his high school), their face lights up when they talk about Stephen. ... We think he has a special talent. He, too, was definitely excited about what we're going to do defensively."

On McCluster: "That's what we want our linebackers to look like ... speed, athleticism, but guys that embrace the intellectual side of the game."

On Demorie Tate: "The presence of the young man is just second to none. You see the size, speed, athleticism, versatility ... I think he's an all-around player. He is a young man that has a chance to be a superstar in his future if he continues to progress. ... We're so excited about what he brings to the table."

On Green-McKnight: Says he's the fastest guy in the class. "I think he can play two or three different positions in our defensive backfield." Said he's been clocked at 10.8 in the 100. "We're excited for the addition of him."

On Mastromanno: "We knew there was a need for a punter in the class, ... he possesses an incredible leg. Getting a chance to know him and the sense of purpose to be great in all that he's done." Said that he didn't want to start the press conference talking about a punter because he doesn't want to punt much.

"There will be some additions here in the next couple of days as well, but I couldn't be more pleased with what we were able to get done in a short amount of time." ... Praises Haggins and Dugans and Lockette for doing an "incredible job" putting them in a position to sign a great class.

WR Douglas has signed: "He's a special talent. Extremely quick. Versatile player that can play in the slot. I think there are some things he can do possibly in the backfield. ... We feel that he's a dynamic playmaker."

Norvell said the last 10 days was a challenge, again praises the recruiting staff and coaches on staff that were in place. "The minute I was cleared to recruit I was working facetime." He said every coach's job was to get him in front of their recruits, to pitch the message as best and as quickly as he could.

Norvell on QB recruiting: "Coming in here late in the process, I believed there was a specific need at that position of what we were going to attract and what we were going to go after. ... And I think we absolutely hit a home run. ... Tate we had offered at our last institution, Chubba I had known of and the family for a long time. Was not a blind meeting, but definitely a lot that went into the process."

"I tried to recruit telling these young men exactly what the expectation is going to be. ... I can tell you, they're excited. ... We don't try to give our recruiting speech. We try to be open and honest in how we evaluate ... These kids embrace that honesty and they embrace the opportunity. ... It's just about being open, transparent and honest."

"Running back is going to be a position we're going to work hard ... coming into today I would have said receiver. But that changed. ... We'll have a plan of attack moving forward (either through JUCO or transfer portal)."

On Rodemaker: "One of my first offers at my last institution. Coming here, I know the skillset he has. I have always loved the way he plays the game. ... I thought he was a great fit in every aspect. We reached out to him. We sought to see what interest he would have, and obviously it was mutual."

On Mastromanno: "I would like to say I would take a trip down there to go see him, but with 10 days that was going to be a challenge. ... That was someone that had been identified and evaluated by the previous staff. ... He had a love and passion for Florida State. Getting to know him over the course of a few days was pretty impressive. ... It really worked out. The call time was a little bit different, trying to match that up, but we're definitely excited."

On Chubba: "Everything about that process was pretty incredible. To spark that conversation middle of the week, to get him on campus. I think Coach Dillingham did an incredible job, ... for him to feel comfortable with what we were presenting, the message and vision that we had, I thought Kenny did a great job. It was all hands on deck. ... For him to sign, ... it's a great day to be a Seminole. I'm definitely fired up that he's rocking that Florida State hat."

"When you walk into a school you feel a sense of pride in (Florida State). To have guys like Odell and Ron ... it definitely helped tie everything together."

Says he is expecting another O-line addition in the next day or so. "We're going to continue to evaluate." Says with second signing day and transfer portal there are opportunities to sign more. Wouldn't give an exact number on how many he wanted to sign.

Says he's not looking to sign an exact number, he's looking for the right guys.
"Every person that we bring into the program has to fit to our standard ... the worst thing I can do is go sign a young man that doesn't fit a need or isn't what we're looking for."

Norvell says he feels "very confident" in where he is in the coaching search and the men they're going to bring in. Says he tells the kids he's recruiting there's a chance that his position coach might not be there all four years, because he cares about his coaches being promoted. Because he wants them to get promoted. That's part of his job.

Norvell says the first recruit he called was Toafill. But says he talked to almost everyone that wound up in the class on that first night. Said the first commitment he got was from the Australian punter.

The assistants have arrived. We're about to get them. So the Norvell presser is over. Stay tuned to warchant.com for all the videos, stories, quotes, etc. from National Signing Day.

Corey Clark ... out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're here.
Mike Norvell will be walking in within the next five minutes we believe, and then this bad boy will start.

Follow along for all the meaningful quotes and comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News