ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT roster for match vs Mexico next weekend

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club America), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Danny Williams (Reading), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Obviously going with "experience" over talent/ability. How Wondo gets a spot, no idea, although Johannsson is out with an injury.

My guess is we'll see something along the lines of this for the Starting XI:
Howard
Beasley/Cameron/Besler/Johnson
Bedoya/Beckerman/Bradley/Zardes
Dempsey/Altidore

I think Howard gets the start over Guzan, given how Guzan has played this summer, and it looks like Howard is back to being himself in the EPL. I read elsewhere that Jurgen has already said Beasley and Johnson get the outside back spots (given what we have to work with, I'm not opposed to this). And Cameron/Besler is probably the "best" of the CB combos available (ugh). I could see Jones instead of Beckerman in the middle with Bradley. I don't like Bedoya, but somehow he keeps getting called into action for some reason, and will eventually be sub'd out for Yedlin later in the match. And I hope we don't see Wondo on the field at all, and with Zardes playing outside mid in most of Jurgen's lineups, that only leaves 2 strikers left on the field.

Have I mentioned I hate Mexico's soccer team more than any other sports team in the world?

Our game vs UM and this match vs Mex are both on at 8pm Saturday. Not too happy about this...

Hoping beyond hope that we wise up and put Howard back in goal. Guzan is serviceable, but he's never going to be able to stand on his head like Howard. I also hope that Altidore doesn't see the field.

FIFA should ban any fans from attending games in Azteca Stadium. Players are consistently pelted with batteries, bags of urine, etc... Police actually have to stand between opposing players and the fans while making corner kicks holding up riot shields to attempt to protect the players. You add in the chanting for Osama on top of that and the ridiculous manner in which they play the game, and it leads to as close as I'll ever get to hating another fanbase.

FIFA should ban any fans from attending games in Azteca Stadium. Players are consistently pelted with batteries, bags of urine, etc... Police actually have to stand between opposing players and the fans while making corner kicks holding up riot shields to attempt to protect the players. You add in the chanting for Osama on top of that and the ridiculous manner in which they play the game, and it leads to as close as I'll ever get to hating another fanbase.

Ever see that Youtube video of that section of US fans getting drilled with everything under the sun at Azteca from 3-5 years ago? I believe it was a 0-0 or 1-1 game. I can't find the video, but I'd rather be Bruce Willis in one of those Die Hard movies where he's in Harlem holding up that sign than I'd rather be at Azteca stadium.

Bedoya out, Bobby Wood in. I'm guessing that's because Zardes will be playing as a Mid, so Wood is essentially the 4th striker now. Wondering who's going to play outside mid opposite Zardes now....either Yedlin or Zusi, I guess, but I cringe at having either out there against Mexico for different reasons (Zusi is slowwwww.....Yedlin is too fast for his own good but won't track back).

Sounds just like playing in Hogtown.

Someone at work wore a dos a cero shirt yesterday... Looking forward to tonight-- sports fans paradise: Noles and USMNT ( just wish they were at different times)

Heartbreaking loss... even though Mex outplayed us the entire match.

Does Klinsman get fired now?

Klinsmann goes from the chosen one to leads the USMNT to the hated one. Lol

Again, I really hope the next round of World Cup Qualifying is used for playing only the youngsters. This version of the USMNT is too old, too slow, and not at all talented enough to play at the international level. Bobby Wood should be one of our starting strikers, he's proving he has the ability, and the desire (which was really lacking with Dempsey and Altidore last night). And in all seriousness, I'd rather we try the U-23s at CB from here on out.

Did not get to watch the game since I was in Doak, but I did see that Howard did not start in goal. Would he have made any difference at all? I know he took his leave from the National team, but he has still be playing in the EPL, so it's not as if he would have been rusty.

He's been still playing in the EPL and playing much better than Guzan. It was simply Klinnsman's stubbornness that he didn't play. I don't know if it would have made a difference, but I don't think Howard lets that last goal by.

In a game as important as this one was, you start your best keeper, period. He has not been sitting on some beach being lazy because he needed a break. Just makes no sense to me.

In a game as important as this one was, you start your best keeper, period. He has not been sitting on some beach being lazy because he needed a break. Just makes no sense to me.
Yeah, but let's say Howard started and blocks one or two of those shots and the US wins. So we win, but would there be any real reason for optimism? Not like Guzan was the weak link in that game. I thought he played fairly well.

To some extent. Wood looks exciting, Shea looked very good when he was with the team this summer before he got injured. He just got called up again for the Costa Rica match. We've still got the Arsenal kid who everybody is excited about for midfield play. Our big issues right now are veterans who seem either lazy or simply too old. Neither Dempsey or Altidore play with much fire any longer in front, I think Bradley is doing his best, he simply isn't a great midfielder and he's still not playing the midfield role he's actually decent at. Our defense still loses shape way too easily. That's my biggest concern for the future. I think we have some young strikers with talent, and some potential midfield play that's pretty good.

He's been still playing in the EPL and playing much better than Guzan. It was simply Klinnsman's stubbornness that he didn't play. I don't know if it would have made a difference, but I don't think Howard lets that last goal by.

3 goals and Guzan doesn't get a hand on any of them and he was out of position a number of other times. I agree, he took a break from international ball, and not just completely walk away from the game. He should have been in there. Goalkeeping was one of the keys to the game, IMO, and Howard should have been out there. I don't think I've ever questioned Klinsmann, he's the coach for a reason and he forgets more on an hourly basis than I'll ever know, but it made no sense to me to keep Howard on the bench!

And yes, I think Howard gets a hand on that last goal.

Other than Klinsman being stubborn, there is no reason Howard was left on the bench. He is starting at Everton and playing very well. Yes Guzan is starting for Villa, but even there he hasn't looked great.

One of the analysts made a comment after the game, stating a save on the final shot would have been a world class save. Well, I think Howard is a world class keeper and would have been able to get a hand on the ball. Guzan is a good keeper, but not world class IMO. He played alright, but was out of position, and as Manch mentioned, he didn't get a hand on any of the goals...heck on the first one he looked like he was totally lost. I think Howard would have commanded the back line a lot better and helped keep things more organized.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT