ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WC Roster

I think for not having Dempsey on the field and considering Bradley had his worst game in four years; 2-0 (which really should have been 3-0 since Brad should have gotten a PK) against a park-the-bus approach is pretty good.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Wondolowski played great. Couple of excellent, well-saved, headers. I hope he has a good WC. It's not his fault (well, it sort of is) that Jurgen picked him over, LD.

Originally posted by rdbarks10:
I think for not having Dempsey on the field and considering Bradley had his worst game in four years; 2-0 (which really should have been 3-0 since Brad should have gotten a PK) against a park-the-bus approach is pretty good.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I really don't understand why Azerbyhoweveryouspellthatcountry parked the bus. What was the point in a friendly? It was all the weirder because their coach is also a part-time consultant for the USMNT and a personal friend of Klinsmann, so you would think that he would have been inclined to play the game straight up.

I hope Turkey can do more to test of defense.

Originally posted by DC Nole:

I really don't understand why Azerbyhoweveryouspellthatcountry parked the bus. What was the point in a friendly? It was all the weirder because their coach is also a part-time consultant for the USMNT and a personal friend of Klinsmann, so you would think that he would have been inclined to play the game straight up.

Because that's the talent level that they have. They probably did the same against Portugal. In that approach you rely heavily on the counter attack. The last thing that national teams want to do is be embarrassed. Portugal will do a lot of counter attacking as well but their approach is more along out what Seria A teams do.

Originally posted by DC Nole:

I think they will.

A few lapse on defense today but we really should have scored more then 2 goals. Dempsey or Julian's foul should have been a penalty. I thought Cameron looked good and Besler worked well. Brooks is too young and Chandler might be too young as well. Overall front third played well. Brad is showing his strength on set piece as well.

A few lapse on defense today but we really should have scored more then 2 goals. Dempsey or Julian's foul should have been a penalty. I thought Cameron looked good and Besler worked well. Brooks is too young and Chandler might be too young as well. Overall front third played well. Brad is showing his strength on set piece as well.
Besler will single-handily cost us 3 goals in Brazil. He's horrendous.

Originally posted by fsUTampa:

No he's not.

No he's not.

Yes he is. If Azerbaijan had an inkling of a desire to find our goal, we would've been down a couple to them thanks to his play. He was the main reason (along with Chandler) that Turkey had so many chances in the first half. No coincidence that when Brooks came in, Turkey didn't have many chances at all up the middle the 2nd half. He's confused as hell out there right now, his marking and positioning is questionable, his passing out of the back is atrocious, and he's slow and will get beat by faster attackers that Ghana/Portugal/Germany have. The nicest word I've read regarding his play in these 2 games is "underwhelming". He's a liability back there, and at this point, I'm willing to give Brooks a chance and hope his potential becomes real, rather than rely on Besler.

Chandler is horrendous.
Brooks is a liability. Not ready for prime time yet.
Besler is the best out of those 3, hands down. Doesn't mean he's great or even that good, but no question he's a leg up on those other two.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
Chandler is horrendous.
Besler is the best out of those 3, hands down. Doesn't mean he's great or even that good, but no question he's a leg up on those other two.
If Omar Gonzalez is truly healthy (and if not, we wasted a roster spot with him), we'd be better off going Gonzalez/Cameron in the middle if no Brooks. I don't think Besler should be on the field at all, but neither should Chandler, and at this point we're running out of options. That would leave Johnson (unfortunately our best defender at the moment) and Beasley (blech) on the outsides. God help us...

Chandler is horrendous.
If Omar Gonzalez is truly healthy (and if not, we wasted a roster spot with him), we'd be better off going Gonzalez/Cameron in the middle if no Brooks. I don't think Besler should be on the field at all, but neither should Chandler, and at this point we're running out of options. That would leave Johnson (unfortunately our best defender at the moment) and Beasley (blech) on the outsides. God help us...

You guys are splitting hair. Not too long ago, posters on here thought Cameron as a center back is horrible, now he is a good option. I don't think Besler is that good, I don't think Omar is that good. But whoever edges out the two is serviceable. Jermaine Jones hanging back can help out. Brooks has talent but he's too young to start. He's the guy that headed the ball to a Ukraine forward that would create a break away in the World Cup. If a guy makes a bad pass then the team can recover and we got a World Class goalie that has seen every long range shot.

There isn't a great/good option with the line, just serviceable.

Btw, Donovan comes as a whining individualistic player. Glad Juergen cut him.

Chandler is horrendous.
Have you seen Omar Gonzalez play in the past 6 months? Nothing but inconsistency and makes 2-3 mistakes a game. Hell he was responsible for both goals Mexico scored in April, and that's probably what solidified him losing his spot to Cameron. Cameron-Besler is the best combo that we have at the moment no matter what you cry about.

Btw, let's not get too carried away with the back four performance. Columbia, a team picked as a World Cup contender, gives up two goals after scoring two goals to Senegal. Unless you're Germany or Brazil, most national teams have a drop off in one area of the field.

Originally posted by minernole:

Chandler is horrendous.
Have you seen Omar Gonzalez play in the past 6 months? Nothing but inconsistency and makes 2-3 mistakes a game. Hell he was responsible for both goals Mexico scored in April, and that's probably what solidified him losing his spot to Cameron. Cameron-Besler is the best combo that we have at the moment no matter what you cry about.
I'm not "crying" about it, why you gotta be a jackass about it? We're on the same side here. And I still question why Gonzalez even got a roster spot if he's hurt and not going to help us. But it's more about just how bad we are across the board on the backline. Hopefully some 15-18yr old up-and-coming players realize the value in learning solid defensive play and focus on that rather than trying to be the star, as that's about as sure of a path to making the MNT as can be in the next 4 years if there's even a modicum of ability.

The back line that played against Turkey has never played together so their comfort with each other and communication has to be off. Plus, it's not like they are elite players anyway so we're going to be stretched out quite a bit against a good attacking team.....get used to it.

I think another point that should be made is that while I like Jermaine Jones' positives, he does have a tendency to drift forward too much which leaves a big gap between the midfield and defense, which can become a problem. I'd think, ideally, he needs to stay in a position where Bradley doesn't have to worry as much about tracking deep defensively and also cover for the central defenders.

I'm interested to see what Klinnsmann does against Nigeria defensively.

I'm being a jackass because you are using way too much hyperbole talking about how bad Besler is.

Originally posted by minernole:
I'm being a jackass because you are using way too much hyperbole talking about how bad Besler is.
How so? I used examples in the most recent games he's played. If you want real hyperbole, read just about every "experts" breakdown of his play in these 2 send-off games so far.

1. It's clear you don't like Besler. Fair enough. You've made your point.
2. You were absolutely using hyperbole, and it was silly "3 goals" blah blah blah.
3. Besler isn't Paolo Maldini...fine, but he's the best we got.
4. Please Link to any of the "just about every experts breakdown" that you've alluded to.

Here's 4 quick ones, there's plenty more if you look enough, not to mention Lalas, Twellman, Darke, et al's commentaries...

http://www.espnfc.us/team/united-states/660/blog/post/1856966

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/4/blog/post/1857470

http://m.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/05/28/usmnt-player-ratings-average-marks-across-board-underwhelming-win-over-azerb

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/06/02/usmnt-player-ratings-fabian-johnson-lone-standout-usmnt-defense-against-turk

In any case, I'll leave it at that, as like you've said, I've made my (obviously opinionated) point

Originally posted by TexasGooner:
The back line that played against Turkey has never played together so their comfort with each other and communication has to be off. Plus, it's not like they are elite players anyway so we're going to be stretched out quite a bit against a good attacking team.....get used to it.

I think another point that should be made is that while I like Jermaine Jones' positives, he does have a tendency to drift forward too much which leaves a big gap between the midfield and defense, which can become a problem. I'd think, ideally, he needs to stay in a position where Bradley doesn't have to worry as much about tracking deep defensively and also cover for the central defenders.

I'm really liking the change Klinnsmann made against Nigeria. Putting Beckerman next to Jones solves the problem I stated above.

I'm really liking the change Klinnsmann made against Nigeria. Putting Beckerman next to Jones solves the problem I stated above.
I've been wrong before, but my gut feeling is that we advance past the group stage. This may sound shmaltzy, but I've followed these guys closely, and they will boldly & proudly carry our banner through the WC as far as we can go with Jurgen leading the way with his no-nonsense approach.

America, F Yeah!

Originally posted by NoleLizards:

I've been wrong before, but my gut feeling is that we advance past the group stage. This may sound shmaltzy, but I've followed these guys closely, and they will boldly & proudly carry our banner through the WC as far as we can go with Jurgen leading the way with his no-nonsense approach.
It could happen but I'm only cautiously optimistic. I think the first match against Ghana will set the tone for us. A point would be okay but if we can capture all 3 that would be very motivating to the squad as they go up against Portugal, a squad that is very suspicious in my opinion. That Portugal match is going to be very interesting if we beat Ghana and Portugal loses to Germany.

THIS is why Jurgen is a good coach, he comes up with a formation to help the problems.

Everybody works on hard on the field. Inconsistencies from Portugal will catch up with. Ghana is just overrated, along with Bosnia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT