ADVERTISEMENT

Watched Smokey and the Bandit again last night...

booker20

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 1, 2003
Little Egypt
Man I love that movie.

That one is neck and neck w/ The Longest Yard (original) for favorite Buddy Reynolds movies ever.

Man I love that movie.

That one is neck and neck w/ The Longest Yard (original) for favorite Buddy Reynolds movies ever.
I watch it every time it's on. Can't NOT watch it. And Sally Field is even more beautiful in HD!

Reactions: KevNole
I watch it every time it's on. Can't NOT watch it. And Sally Field is even more beautiful in HD!

So-Hot-Want-To-Touch-The-Hiney-In-Billy-Madison-Gif-Reaction.gif

I love both of these choices but my favorite is Deliverance.

I wish they would play "East bound and down" at every game with the lyrics on the scoreboard. That would be a great tradition.

"who you chasin' Sheriff? Somebody chasin' you?"
"Nobody chases me, Boy..."
"Sorry...what's he wanted for? Bank robbery?"
"BANK ROBBERY???? Bank robbin's baby shit along side what this dude's doin'....drivin' through peoples yards, knockin' down mailboxes...got a girl in the car with him, don't believe he got her permission, that's kidnappin'...took her across the state line..that's the Mann Act! How's that for highjinx????"

Seen it a time or two myself.....

I was an extra in that movie! It was the scene where the trans am comes onto a football field where a pee wee football game is in progress. I have a story about how the trans am almost killed a whole group of us, including my sister who was a cheerleader, and then crashed into an occupied dugout. Two kids sitting in the dugout were injured, but not critically. When you watch the movie, they show the trans am exiting the back of the dugout. But that didn't happen. I still have the belt buckle given to me by stunt director, Hal Needam.

"who you chasin' Sheriff? Somebody chasin' you?"
"Nobody chases me, Boy..."
"Sorry...what's he wanted for? Bank robbery?"
"BANK ROBBERY???? Bank robbin's baby shit along side what this dude's doin'....drivin' through peoples yards, knockin' down mailboxes...got a girl in the car with him, don't believe he got her permission, that's kidnappin'...took her across the state line..that's the Mann Act! How's that for highjinx????"

Seen it a time or two myself.....

Gleason was turned on to a huge group of young viewers st the time. Kids like me who thought the Honeymooners was for their parents. This is my only real memory of Gleason, and what a great one.

Reactions: David Slaton

Gotta do something about the "The boys are thirsty in Atlanta, and there's beer in Texarkana" line though. Doesn't make much since for a game in Tally.

"The boys are thirsty in Tally and there's been in ??????"

Reactions: shacam
I wish they would play "East bound and down" at every game with the lyrics on the scoreboard. That would be a great tradition.

I was hoping the Chiefs would get this going. Make it a tradition at the start of the second quarter in Doak as they change end zones.

Reactions: booker20
Love the movie, obviously...and my first memories of FSU are Burt Reynolds and Coach Bowden on my TV every Sunday during the fall.

Burt has fallen on hard times, but has done so much for our university beyond the garnet pants and athletic dorms.

Worked in the press box while in high school, met Burt, Lee Majors & Larry Csonka when Burt had his world premier in Tally for the "Longest Yard"

He has a lesser known movie named Stick that I think is terrific.:cool:

What Cinemanole said. It is actually a pretty bad movie.
may as well check out "WW and the Dixie Dancekings" same level.

I love both of these choices but my favorite is Deliverance.

This. I love me some Smokey and the Bandit but Deliverance is one of my alltime favorites.

We've seen Smokey so many times at my house that my two young boys will quote some of the lines at times. "Hey where's the can, I gotta take a squirt."

What Cinemanole said. It is actually a pretty bad movie.
may as well check out "WW and the Dixie Dancekings" same level.

A bad movie to today standards but humor was just different back then. It's a classic, I wouldn't expect today's generation to like it, they probably wouldn't like blazing saddles either

"Nobody makes Sherif Buford T. Justice look like a possum's pecker! Decoratin' up a whole town at a cost of $40???" And she goes runnin' back down the aisle...no, she was dancin' down that aisle! And that's only one thing....pure ol' fashioned communism!"

A bad movie to today standards but humor was just different back then. It's a classic, I wouldn't expect today's generation to like it, they probably wouldn't like blazing saddles either

I love Blazing Saddles. I'm in my 40s.

Would a 20 year old? I would venture to say a lot wouldn't, compared to when you were 20
No you are right - humor is very, very difficult to maintain over time. What's funny today likely won't be funny in 20 years. Blazing Saddles would never get made today.

Would a 20 year old? I would venture to say a lot wouldn't, compared to when you were 20

No you are right - humor is very, very difficult to maintain over time. What's funny today likely won't be funny in 20 years. Blazing Saddles would never get made today.

As an example, we watched Ghostbusters with my 9 year old the other day, and it struck me that what was SO funny then, like "he slimed me," didn't even register as an attempt at humor for him.

However, some movies hold up better than others.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
These old movies and comedies have to be watched with some perspective of the era when they were made. I still love many movies from the 40s and 50s, before I was born but I still get it, they were great movies.

Smokey & the Bandit probably doesn't have that kind of reverence everywhere, but I think its a very good comedy from the era. Not everyone these days will get it.... but it was a perfect loony/safe comedy for the late 70s.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
There is no way, no way, that you could come from my loins. When I get home first thing I'm gonna do is punch your moma in da mouth.

Hey boy, where's Sheriff Branford??

I AM Sheriff Branford.

Oh, heh heh...for some reason you sounded a little taller on the radio...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT