ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Weekend Roundup-Rivals Camp Miami

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Rivals held their annual Florida Camp at Saint Thomas Aquinas. The event had some of the very best prospects from across the state of Florida. The first session of the camp was the OL/DL portion of the event. Prospects like Max Buchanan and Ziyare Addison stole the show. Both had excellent performances and we expect them to see significant jumps in their rankings. We will break down the list of prospects that stood out and who FSU will target.

OL/DL

OT
Ziyare Addison (Sumer HS, 6-4, 280): Addison displayed pretty good feet. He is a big, athletic lineman. He is built like an athlete. You look at his lower body and it is like a track athlete. High hips. He has long legs and his ankles are small. Addison can move for a big man. He was able to handle both speed and bull-rush moves at the event. He won most of his battles and won an MVP trophy for his performance. FSU is recruiting Addison hard and the Noles look to be one of the teams to beat.

G/C Max Buchanan (Seminole HS, 6-4, 275): Buchanan was the top performer at the event. Not sure if he lost even one rep. He went against the very best the camp had to offer and shut everyone down. He had the best technique. You watched his hand placement and Buchanan had no problems. He plays with balance and leverage. He did not lunge or lean over to try and block any of the defenders that he faced. He put on a clinic of how you need to block someone. Buchanan is a heavy lean to FSU at this point. The word silent commit to FSU was being thrown around. Until a prospect is committed they are uncommitted in my opinion. FSU sits in a good spot for Buchanan.

DT Jarquez Carter (Newberry HS, 6-2, 270): Carter is a solid defensive tackle prospect. He is not big like Floyd Boucard, who I feel is the best DT in this year’s class. Carter did win an MVP award for DL at the camp. He displayed some quickness off the ball. He has a good base. He is not one that is easily moved off his spot. He can give you some pass-rush moves. Carter is a guy that is a developmental prospect at the next level. He has visited FSU multiple times and they lead for his services.

DE/OLB Demetrius Geathers Jr. (West Boca) (Class of 2026): This is a name to remember. Geathers is related to Jason Geathers, who played at Spanish River. For those who have followed recruiting for a long time should remember Jason. He was an elite prospect who signed with Miami. Demetrius has all the physical tools you want in a defensive end. He has size, speed, quickness and his body will allow him to continue to develop at the next level. He performed well. Some players look good in shorts — Geathers is one of them. That being said turn on his tape and Geathers performs with the pads on as well. He holds offers from Pitt, USF and FAU at this time.

DT Floyd Boucard (Miami Central, 6-4, 290: Boucard did not have the same type of performance like the UA camp but he stands out. He is strong as an ox. He has a very powerful base. He has decent technique. He has the tools to be a very good player at the next level. His body type is ideal for a defensive lineman. Once this kid gets some coaching at the college level, watch out. I still feel he is the one of if not the best DT prospects in Florida this year. FSU has offered but Miami stands out for Boucard. Louisville is also a legit option.

Mandrell Desier (6-3, 235) and Darryll Desier (6-4, 225) of Miami Norland: I put both together because they are identical twins. They are big, powerful, twitchy-type athletes. They can run. They are explosive. Guys their size should not move like they do. Both are very raw but you see the potential. FSU has offered both and you can see why. These two are impressive-looking human beings.

DE Javion Hilson (Cocoa, 6-4, 225): Hilson is Dallas Turner all over again. You can see why Bama is still in hot pursuit. He is big and quick. Hilson had the best first step of any defensive end at the camp. He has the body type you want to see in a prospect coming out of high school. Hilson can eventually play on Sundays if he gets it all together. He is committed to FSU. He still seems to be very high on the Noles. This one won't end until National Signing Day.

DE Jake Kreul (Orlando Bishop Moore, 6-2, 220): I was a bit disappointed in his performance. He may have won a golden ball award. That being said, Jake has not grown. He is a bit of a tweener. He needs to get much bigger and stronger. I think he is a good prospect but one that may get a little overhyped. He is a good kid who works hard. I was not blown away with him at the event. FSU has offered Jake. It will be interesting to see if he can play in space as Jake may have to move to linebacker.

DT Donta Simpson (Hollywood Chaminade, 6-3, 280): Simpson is someone I can see blowing up this spring. Defensive tackles are tough to find and he is a good one. He is big, strong and powerful. You will see him move guys. He has a decent first step off the ball. He is strong. Simpson is a prospect that is only going to get better. Keep an eye on Simpson. He has some P4 offers. Does not hold one yet from FSU.

LINEBACKERS, LINEBACKERS, LINEBACKERS

Kayron Maycock (Miami Central, 6-0, 180): I will be very surprised that after this event he measured in at 6-0 and 180 pounds. I would say he was an inch or two taller and 20 pounds heavier. He is also listed as a safety and was with the linebackers. Maycock is an athlete. He is the new breed of linebackers you are looking for. He has size, length and can cover. He is a defensive back who should be playing linebacker in college. You watch him perform and the kid looks and plays the part of a top-end linebacker prospect. He was my top backer at the event.

Izayia Williams (Leesburg, 6-1, 205) : Another physically impressive looking prospect (he's in the 2026 class). I came away wondering who this kid is. He performed well. You want to see these guys move around. How they transition on the field. Do they have fluidity? This kid checks a ton of boxes.

Jordan Campbell (Carol City, 6-2, 200): Campbell is a big, long, athletic linebacker. He is smooth. I look for different things at these events since they are not in pads. When you have size and can run those are two traits that are hard to overlook. He has the body type that suggest a move to defensive end is a possibility. He is listed at 200 pounds but he seems bigger. He has wide shoulders. He has the body type to get bigger and stronger. Campbell is committed to Miami but his recruitment is still open.

Andre Farrow (Miami Norland, 6-0, 200): Farrow looks like a grown man. He is big and has an intimidating look to him. He is another pretty good athlete. I don't think he was in the top three mentioned above but Farrow was in the second tier of linebackers at the camp. He is someone that I would keep an eye on.

Adam Balogoun-Ali (The Benjamin School, 6-2, 200): The class of 2026 is very well represented at linebacker. Adam won a golden ball for his performance at the event. He also showed some of those quality traits. Size, speed, quickness, change of direction. He was smooth. He did things pretty effortlessly. He is someone that is only going to get better. We expect him to be one of the top backers in Florida next cycle. Holds some P4 offers and some G5 offers.

Defensive Backs

Gregory Thomas (Plantation American Heritage) was at the event. He has been a heavy lean to FSU for a while now but was sporting a Clemson jacket. From what we are hearing FSU still sits in a good spot for Thomas. One thing that stands out is his size. He is a legit 6-2 if not 6-3.

Running Backs

Derrek Cooper (Hollywood Chaminade, 6-1, 200): I am going to go on record and say Cooper ends up one of the top backs in the nation. He is special. He has elite traits. He has the size, speed and has very good hands. He is so smooth. The game comes easily to him. Cooper can cut on a dime. He is going to be tough to tackle. Cooper is a 5-star talent. He is not ranked right now but I doubt there are many backs better than him.

Javian Mallory (West Boca, 5-11, 200): Every time I watch him run, he reminds me of Alex Collins. For those who don't know who Alex Collins is, he was a running back prospect FSU recruited the same year that Matthew Thomas came out. He was supposed to choose from Miami and FSU and went to Arkansas. He had a good career at Arkansas and ended up in the NFL. They have the same body types. They run the same way. Mallory is just a very good football player. He is also a great kid. He holds offers from the SEC.

Wide Receivers

Vernell Brown (Orlando Jones, 5-11, 180): Probably get hammered for keep saying this but I feel Brown's best position is at corner or safety. I have seen too many of these types of receivers in Florida. He gets overhyped and they end up not performing at the same level. Brandon Inniss was a much better receiver coming out of high school and you would swear by the experts that this kid is at the same level. He can be a good receiver in college. I feel he can be an elite defensive back.

Antwaun Parham (Cocount Creek Monarch, 6-4, 200): Physically very impressive. He was one of the biggest receivers at the camp. He also had very good hands. He had two elite traits — size and hands. He did not run the 40 great but with his size and body type you may be looking at a tight end down the road. He caught the ball with ease. It will be interesting to see him develop over the next year. Best offer is from Tulane. Played in Georgia last year and has since moved to Florida.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News