ADVERTISEMENT

What food do you like that you know is objectively trash?

Cheddar Jalapeno Cheetos... I could eat two bags of that crap given no restraint, and feel like shiz for two days afterwards.

jalapeno-cheetos.jpg

Busted my ass over good Friday trimming all the hedges and getting 2 1/2 truckloads of mulch out around the house. I felt like a I deserved an indulgence and after a few beers put in a request my wifes excellent Frito Casserole for dinner. Damn it was so good I went for a second helping after midnight, post few more beers. I woke up at 6 am and thought I was going to die of heartburn. Took me the rest of the weekend to recover.

Getting old is a bitch.

Smoked Oysters, Sardines, Corned Beef Hash, McDonalds fish fillets x2, Taco Bell crunchy taco supremes x6

I could go on....

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Smoked Oysters, Sardines, Corned Beef Hash, McDonalds fish fillets x2, Taco Bell crunchy taco supremes x6

I could go on....

I definitely dig into canned smoked oysters and sardines/herring on a semi regular basis. Either just straight out of the can as a snack/meal or on a salad in the case of the oysters or smashed and mixed with a little mayo, crystal hot sauce and mustard for topping on crackers. Also, as I previously mentioned I will substitute in one can of sardines or herring in place of one can of anchovies when I make bagna cauda dip for veggies.

Homemade tamales and carnitas. You can't imagine the amount of lard used on either one of these, but they are so good.

Homemade tamales and carnitas. You can't imagine the amount of lard used on either one of these, but they are so good.

Neither of us are of Hispanic origin, but my wife and I make a mean tamale. Just like xiao long bao they're a lot of work to do it properly but worth it for the end product. So far we've managed to make tamales and xlb on par with the best at home but what I would love to have a recipe for is the Peruvian empanadas at the now closed Turnover Cafe. Those things were amazing.

the trick to homemade tamales is only use lard if it is fresh from the rendering plant -- otherwise go with veggie shortening.

I am Peruvian, and I have no idea how to make the sweet corn tamals. Although, I have figured out how to make papa rellenas with salsa criolla. You have to get a good starchy potato.

We are going on a dim sum tour Saturday. And then stopping off at this little Chinese restaurant that is supposed to have the best soup dumplings in Houston. Should be fun.

I definitely dig into canned smoked oysters and sardines/herring on a semi regular basis. Either just straight out of the can as a snack/meal or on a salad in the case of the oysters or smashed and mixed with a little mayo, crystal hot sauce and mustard for topping on crackers. Also, as I previously mentioned I will substitute in one can of sardines or herring in place of one can of anchovies when I make bagna cauda dip for veggies.

I like all that stuff too...

I'll also make a batch of Frank's hot sauce (Frank's, butter, garlic) in a bowl then dump potato sticks in it and eat it with a spoon like cereal...

About 60% of the items mentioned I will eat. When I work in the field with my dad, lunch is oysters/sardines on ritz/saltines. Good anchovy pizza.

I will sit down and eat a package of twizzlers without thinking twice.
Graham crackers into a cup, milk. Turns to mush and is tasty.
I enjoy a well cooked rocky mountain oyster, had them out here at our wedding reception.
I love a good ceviche, a lot of people struggle with it.

Rocky Mountain oysters. Perhaps not bad for you but some cringe at the thought of eating them and think they are trash.

Never had them until about a year and a half ago when going through Oklahoma and Texas. We did a "steak and balls day" where we had lunch in Oklahoma City at the famous Cattlemans place (not connected to the ^*%* chain) and we split a ribeye, a chicken fried steak and some "lambs fry" which was sheep balls. Then we stopped off at the Big Texan in Amarillo for dinner consisting of another ribeye, another chicken fried steak and the Rocky Mountain oysters which were calf balls. The sheep balls were a thousand times better and tasted like high quality sweetbreads, the calf balls were a little stringier/tougher and tasted more like oysters. So for the record OKC won for best steak and balls and Amarillo won for best chicken fried steak.

Reactions: TallyNole93
the trick to homemade tamales is only use lard if it is fresh from the rendering plant -- otherwise go with veggie shortening.

I am Peruvian, and I have no idea how to make the sweet corn tamals. Although, I have figured out how to make papa rellenas with salsa criolla. You have to get a good starchy potato.

We are going on a dim sum tour Saturday. And then stopping off at this little Chinese restaurant that is supposed to have the best soup dumplings in Houston. Should be fun.

Maybe the second best bite of anything I've ever had after the grade 9 real Japanese Kobe beef steak I got at Morimotos is the xlb from a run down looking noodle shop in Vancouver.

About 60% of the items mentioned I will eat. When I work in the field with my dad, lunch is oysters/sardines on ritz/saltines. Good anchovy pizza.

I enjoy a well cooked rocky mountain oyster, had them out here at our wedding reception.

I forgot about the graham crackers into milk thing, but I ate the %*% out of that as a kid. Can't say I've eaten it in the past 20 years or so.

the issues in the US -- besides the fact that Mexicans like to put sweet tomato sauce in their ceviche - is the type of lime. Peruvian ceviche, which I believe is the best in the world, uses a very acidic lime. The key lime is the closest substitute. And in the US, it seems like people want to marinate their fish in the lime juice. It really should not "cook" the fish for more than 20 minutes.

the issues in the US -- besides the fact that Mexicans like to put sweet tomato sauce in their ceviche - is the type of lime. Peruvian ceviche, which I believe is the best in the world, uses a very acidic lime. The key lime is the closest substitute. And in the US, it seems like people want to marinate their fish in the lime juice. It really should not "cook" the fish for more than 20 minutes.

Thats interesting on the lime. I tried to make it once, failed, decided to leave it up to the pros.

During our trip to Peru, I tried to eat it every chance cause those peeps know whats up. That was such a good trip.

Vienna sausages

My big vice is ice cream. We used to live half a mile from Dairy Queen. I would go out to get blizzards for the family and eat a Peanut Butter Parfait before I got home with no one the wiser. Then house my medium blizzard and finish off whatever my wife/kids could not.

We used to live half a mile from Dairy Queen. I would go out to get blizzards for the family and eat a Peanut Butter Parfait before I got home with no one the wiser. Then house my medium blizzard and finish off whatever my wife/kids could not.

I view this behavior as one of the few perks of fatherhood. :)

Bring in the closer.

The Varsity-Chili Dog and Onion Rings with Orange Soda

Yeah, I love those too. There is no better road trip food than Krystal burgers.

I like them. I'll usually grab two or three cheese Krystals and a cornpup. Momofuku's famous chef David Chang said in his memoir that to this day he'll grab Krystals or White Castles whenever he can as they're the American answer to a Chinese steamed bun. Oh, and the even better version of the Krystal/White Castle is the Cozy Inn in Kansas. Imagine the same basic slider and steamed bun but with an actual fresh cooked from scratch burger patty. Absolutely delicious.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Jersey boy here, love me a good Pork Roll.

That's something I tried for the first time only about a year and a half ago in Trenton and it was surprisingly good. We even find them occassionally in certain Publixes.

Just eat Spam. It's the same basic thing...

That's what I thought before trying it, but it's a 1000x better than Spam as it tastes kind of close to a country/Virginia ham and has a meaty texture unlike Spam. It's really not bad at all. Would I rather have a quality Virginia ham from one of the small farms just across the James River from Williamsburg like in Smithfield and Surry where the hogs are fed a diet of 100% peanuts or a mix of peanuts and acorns...you bet. But I've had far worse real country hams (including the "Smithfield" brand you can get all over the country ruining the good name of the real places in Virginia) than a Taylor/Trenton roll. It works REALLY good in a faux eggs Benedict or make your own egg mcmuffin clone.

That's something I tried for the first time only about a year and a half ago in Trenton and it was surprisingly good. We even find them occassionally in certain Publixes.
Always in Publix down here, but I am in South Florida, which really is just a southern branch of NYC/NJ. Great sammie. Slice the sides a little so the don't curl up, fry 2 and throw those bad boys on a bun with some cheese and mustard. Use to eat 4 of those back in high school for lunch. Pork Roll day was the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT