ADVERTISEMENT

What food do you like that you know is objectively trash?

Elvis couldn't be wrong. Seriously, try one, they are great. I cut the banana into coin size pieces and layer them on the peanut butter side, slather a little mayo on the other side, and eat. Filling and really good.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Elvis couldn't be wrong. Seriously, try one, they are great. I cut the banana into coin size pieces and layer them on the peanut butter side, slather a little mayo on the other side, and eat. Filling and really good.
Except Elvis never put mayo on his PB and banana sandwiches. He did grill them in a skillet with butter, though.

The mayo talk does remind me of a sandwich in the White Trash Cookbook: white bread, mayo on each side, smashed Cheetos or Captain Crunch.

My grandmother made me these when a was old enough to chew. Everybody has the same reaction when I tell them about it, but those who try it, love it. Bottom line, if you like the each ingredient, you will like the sammy.

Peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise sandwich = yum

Yeah I dont get the combo either. I have eaten plenty of PB and banana sammies in my life and as a kid my mom would alter it up by doing mayo and banana as well and I remember liking it well enough. But that was with the old variety of bananas where the bananas were much sweeter and far more intense bananay flavor. I don't think our modern day bananas would work well with mayo as they are far less sweet and very bland in comparison to the now extinct varietal we had until the early 90s.

.......I remember liking it well enough. But that was with the old variety of bananas where the bananas were much sweeter and far more intense bananay flavor. I don't think our modern day bananas would work well with mayo as they are far less sweet and very bland in comparison to the now extinct varietal we had until the early 90s.

Don't tell me! So our bananas are not as good as they used to be either????
Different imports now? Volume growing techniques?

No the banana we ate as kids literally went extinct because of improper horticulture. What we're eating now is a completely different varietal that looks similar but tastes completely different. Kind of like saying a Braeburn Apple is the same as a Jonathan just because they look similar. The little red bananas and candy apple bananas you can get in hippy stores taste closer to the old variety but don't look like the old variety. What the grocery stores carry LOOKS like the old variety but tastes like nothing much really.

So here's your banana history lesson for today. I had to do a little research myself because I've forgotten what the names were.

So in the 50s the most popular banana was the Gros Michel. Apparently it was super sweet and tasted exactly like modern day "artificial banana flavor". I wouldn't know because by 1965 they were completely exterminated by disease. Farms were forced to go with the Cavendish varietal which previously was used only locally for cooking and not traded internationally for eating out of hand. Over time, they developed a cultivar of the Cavendish that started to taste similar to the old Gros Michel but in the 90s that cultivar (what I think of as a good banana from my childhood) was wiped out. Currently the bananas in grocery stores are another cultivar called the Grande Naine which is closer to the original bland Cavendish.

There's actually a huge international problem looming for bananas because in the past there were different varietals of plants being farmed but now it's just cloned cultivars of the Cavendish. While the old 90s Cavendish was wiped out by a variation of the Panama Disease the other cultivars were not affected. But there's a new Panama Disease variety that affects ALL cultivars of the Cavendish and so entire fields of cloned banana plants are dying off. Even with preventative measures, some scientists are saying the Grande Naine and ALL Cavendish clones will be extinct in 10 years just like what happened to the Gros Michel and 90s Cavendish.

But has anybody had a PB and Pickle sandwich?? I used to eat the shite out of those as a kid and teen also. The saltiness of the pickles were perfect with the PB. Damn, I might make one for lunch tomorrow for old time's sake.

Seriously, some of the stuff listed is just "Nasty"!

I am shocked no one said waffle house or dairy queen as restaurants of choice.

All of you could enter the nassiest fart contest and win.

Made a pickle and peanut butter sandwich for lunch today (after the nostalgia of this thread) and just took a bite out of it and it's still pretty damn good after all these years!

But has anybody had a PB and Pickle sandwich?? I used to eat the shite out of those as a kid and teen also. The saltiness of the pickles were perfect with the PB. Damn, I might make one for lunch tomorrow for old time's sake.

I might give this a shot. To be honest I have never heard of it. What kind of pickles do you use for it the sweeter bread and butter kind or sour dill?

Also on the peanut butter note, I had never had peanut butter chips added to a waffle and used with regular maple syrup until I saw someone raving about it on the Food network. I'd seen it on menus but never had it as I'm not a fan of chocolate chip pancakes/waffles it makes it too rich and sweet. But OMG the peanut butter chips on top of a hot waffle smothered in real maple syrup (I use grade B for more flavor people who don't know better pay more for the "higher grade A" stuff not realizing its blander) is life alteringly good.

I might give this a shot. To be honest I have never heard of it. What kind of pickles do you use for it the sweeter bread and butter kind or sour dill?

Also on the peanut butter note, I had never had peanut butter chips added to a waffle and used with regular maple syrup until I saw someone raving about it on the Food network. I'd seen it on menus but never had it as I'm not a fan of chocolate chip pancakes/waffles it makes it too rich and sweet. But OMG the peanut butter chips on top of a hot waffle smothered in real maple syrup (I use grade B for more flavor people who don't know better pay more for the "higher grade A" stuff not realizing its blander) is life alteringly good.

Just regular dill pickle, sliced to however thickness you prefer. I did use a honey peanut butter though today and the little sweetness from the honey was nice.

I might give that a try to. But what I want to try most is the PB & B + bacon that you mentioned yesterday......might even try it before I get bananas and just go with PB and bacon

Now that is absolutely good. Make sure you get the bacon nice and crunchy maybe almost to the point it's about 30 seconds from burning. I will say that the PB&B&B is better than either peanut butter and just one b regardless of which one it is, but all are good.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I might give that a try to. But what I want to try most is the PB & B + bacon that you mentioned yesterday......might even try it before I get bananas and just go with PB and bacon

Did you ever give the PB&B&B a try since someone resurrected this old thread?

My favorite car travel snack is those awful little "cheese"-filled pretzels. Cheese-filled Combos, Combos really cheeses your hunger away"

They are nasty as all hell, but I'll mow down a big bag of them if I'm in the car for a couple of hours.

Reactions: MIKE_G
My favorite car travel snack is those awful little "cheese"-filled pretzels. Cheese-filled Combos, Combos really cheeses your hunger away"

They are nasty as all hell, but I'll mow down a big bag of them if I'm in the car for a couple of hours.

Yes, I am also not immune to the "charms" of those things, and only when driving.

Those are my favorite road trip snacks as well, although I don't eat them anymore. I got my wife hooked on them as road trip snacks when she first moved here from overseas. She never had them before and thought the idea of fake cheese squirted into pretzels was gross, which of course it is. Now she stocks up on Combos before road trips. I couldn't get her to come around on cream soda though. Another road trip-only indulgence of mine.

Haven't had combos in forever, but I will plow through a bag of corn nuts when on a road trip. Not nearly as bad per say from a garbage food perspective, but my dentist would likely blow his lid.

with all the peanut butter mayonnaise and banana sammich references, had to pull out the ol' family tradition of peanut butter, mayonnaise and bologna........sounds gross, tastes great

Well the keys are to get the bacon extra crispy, don't slice the bananas too thickly and try to have a nice balance in amount between the banana and the peanut butter. It's also even better if you pan toast the whole sandwich like a grilled cheese to get the PB a little gooey.

Tried it and it was pretty damn good. I didn't pan toast it though, however, so I'll have to try it again doing it this way... I could see how that little bit could elevate it

Bottom line, if you like the each ingredient, you will like the sammy.
friendstrifle-gif.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT