ADVERTISEMENT

What is the most "high end" thing you make at home?

Twice a year (Valentine’s and my wife’s birthday) I import in some Russian, Iranian, Chinese, American and Israeli caviar as well as some goose foie gras lobes and then my wife makes blinis and I make crème fraiche from scratch. Those blinis with homemade crème fraiche and high end caviar are amazing.

I usually get a mix of different varieties of caviar for variety’s sake and so I don’t end up only getting the $100 an ounce varieties. The best I’ve had so far regardless of price is the Gold Imperial variety from a hybrid of kaluga and Amur sturgeons farmed in China of all places. It’s better than the wild Iranian and Russian products I’ve had which cost far more. my wife and I have done this for years so we’ve probably had everything except the now illegal wild beluga caviar, but even there we’ve had farmed beluga/kaluga hybrids.

You're like the Terminator man. :Face with Tears of Joy

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Hahaha

Nice try Bonita eaters

Bonita=baitfish

Next you will be telling us ballyhoo is good to eat too

No offense to Becca but I have heard that Cubans eat Bonita and amberjack
Amberjack is very good too. You obviously don't know how to fillet either, because if you did 'you'd never go back'...

Amberjack is very good too. You obviously don't know how to fillet either, because if you did 'you'd never go back'...

I agree with you Cman, all of the little tuna species whether you call them bonito, bonita, falsies, little tunny, Blackfin, skipjack, false albacore etc... are delicious raw when properly bled and butchered. Just as good as their big brothers for raw or lightly cooked preps (I also love them not just as poké, sashimi, tataki, tartare, sushi, ceviche, ota ika, carpaccio and etc... but slow and low poached in olive oil and let to sit overnight is better than any canned tuna you’ve ever had for tuna salad sammies or over a leafy green salad). I’m sure they’re terrible cooked through, but I think that of their big brothers as well.

And the hamachi/yellowtail amberjack/Japanese amberjack poké I had in Maui was the best raw fish dish of ANY I’ve ever had. I’m sure the Atlantic amberjacks we get here would taste pretty identical if you could get the right recipe.

I jest!

I am sure all of it’s good if you know how to prepare and cook it properly.

But I will state that most fisherman out looking to catch highly edible and tasty fish would Not target a bonita or amberjack

Reactions: cmanole

This is what I’m talkin about cman!

Filet or filleting, this old dumbazz gets so confused

Scuuuuuse me

Technically not at home, but we would get together with some friends regularly at Silver Glenn Springs via a houseboat or two from Hontoon Landing.

197f4ddcdc93375589801a4a9dba3168.jpg

Someone in the group would bring the keg(s), bottled beer, Zinfandel (for the ladies) and tenderloin with some misc fixen's.

I would bring:
20 lbs of Tuna or Sword
2 fillet of Dolphin or black grouper
2 fillets of salmon (2-3 lbs ea)
A Bag of quahog clam
Two boxes of Oysters
5 to 7.5 lbs of U-8 headless/peeled shrimp
1 - 10 lb box of Colossal Crab legs
1 - 5 lb container of fish dip

Typically would only cost me $100, so not particularly expensive but it was RICH.

Technically not at home, but we would get together with some friends regularly at Silver Glenn Springs via a houseboat or two from Hontoon Landing.

197f4ddcdc93375589801a4a9dba3168.jpg

Someone in the group would bring the keg(s), bottled beer, Zinfandel (for the ladies) and tenderloin with some misc fixen's.

I would bring:
20 lbs of Tuna or Sword
2 fillet of Dolphin or black grouper
2 fillets of salmon (2-3 lbs ea)
A Bag of quahog clam
Two boxes of Oysters
5 to 7.5 lbs of U-8 headless/peeled shrimp
1 - 10 lb box of Colossal Crab legs
1 - 5 lb container of fish dip

Typically would only cost me $100, so not particularly expensive but it was RICH.
How was all of that so cheap?

Did you mean you brought 20 CANS of tuna?

Twice a year (Valentine’s and my wife’s birthday) I import in some Russian, Iranian, Chinese, American and Israeli caviar as well as some goose foie gras lobes and then my wife makes blinis and I make crème fraiche from scratch. Those blinis with homemade crème fraiche and high end caviar are amazing.

I usually get a mix of different varieties of caviar for variety’s sake and so I don’t end up only getting the $100 an ounce varieties. The best I’ve had so far regardless of price is the Gold Imperial variety from a hybrid of kaluga and Amur sturgeons farmed in China of all places. It’s better than the wild Iranian and Russian products I’ve had which cost far more. my wife and I have done this for years so we’ve probably had everything except the now illegal wild beluga caviar, but even there we’ve had farmed beluga/kaluga hybrids.
You sure you aren't Tribe?

Like others whole strip or loin.

Also my 12 year old has really expensive tastes so every now and then if he does something special he gets a reward. Not long ago it was a jar of osetra caviar. It was $75 for a tiny jar.

There's a new shop opening up in downtown st Pete that sells caviar so well check that out soon.

Stone crabs I guess.

Not much cooking involved with that though.

I buy high quality meats and produce, but I can't think of anything "high end" I've ever made at home. I'd prefer to leave high end cooking to high end cooks.

Reactions: F4Gary
without looking at the numbers I would guess the rhino sausage . It is such a problem getting the meat delivered these days

Reactions: RTM58 and DFSNOLE
On very special occasions, and we decide to do dinner at home. I'll let the wife go get some Snow Crab, maybe a pound or 2. That, with some corn and potatoes.

Wagyu A-5 ($100 per lb) from the Miyazaki Prefacture Ribeye or anytime I use White Alba truffles ($35 per gram). For Christmas dinner it usually involves both. For the ATL folks, Star Provisions has solid pricing on these.

The other threads got me thinking. What is the most expensive dish you cook at home?

I'd say mine are usually seafood dishes... either my seafood gumbo, or paella...

This was our Easter meal. Probably about $200-$250 worth of seafood, but it fed a dozen people..

19114014_10157204851370410_7838719469555601616_n.jpg

29694484_10157204851410410_7088816247257836114_n.jpg

29572966_10157204851460410_3018421443117533996_n.jpg
29597890_10157204851405410_809977062833570793_n.jpg
Love. I’m easy, but I a’int cheap.

This is probably out of my comfort zone price wise but for some of you more high rollers, here's an opportunity.

The World's Most Sought-After Steak Is Being Sold in the U.S.
It took first place in Japan's ‘Wagyu Olympics'

nonfeatured-sanuki-wagyu-beef.jpg

Dive deeper into the juicy, fat-streaked world of Wagyu beef, and you'll find an even more prized and rarer (pun intended) variety: Sanuki, or olive Wagyu.

Bred on a single island in Japan's Kagawa prefecture, the 2,200 cattle used for Sanuki Wagyu (of which only a few are harvested each year) are fed a diet of olives left over from olive oil production that have been toasted and dried to sweeten the fruit and temper their bitterness. The resulting beef is renowned for a "powerful umami flavor" while being marbled with the same healthy monounsaturated fat you'd find in olive oil.

And though only a handful of restaurants in the States—let alone dining rooms in Japan—have been able to get their hands on the treasured cuts, it's never been possible to take home a Sanuki rib eye for yourself—until now. Crowd Cow, an online beef retailer, is selling a limited quantity of the nearly impossible to find beef later this month. Existing customers will get first dibs on the steak on April 16 at 9 a.m. PDT; whatever doesn't get swooped up will be open to everyone else to fight over the day after.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/n...e=TT&utm_campaign=Daily&utm_content=Editorial

And though only a handful of restaurants in the States—let alone dining rooms in Japan—have been able to get their hands on the treasured cuts, it's never been possible to take home a Sanuki rib eye for yourself—until now. Crowd Cow, an online beef retailer, is selling a limited quantity of the nearly impossible to find beef later this month. Existing customers will get first dibs on the steak on April 16 at 9 a.m. PDT; whatever doesn't get swooped up will be open to everyone else to fight over the day after.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/n...e=TT&utm_campaign=Daily&utm_content=Editorial

This sounds just like those long-lost, limited-run, buy-it-now-or-lose-out-forever gold coin commercials from Franklin Mint.

This is probably out of my comfort zone price wise but for some of you more high rollers, here's an opportunity.

The World's Most Sought-After Steak Is Being Sold in the U.S.
It took first place in Japan's ‘Wagyu Olympics'

nonfeatured-sanuki-wagyu-beef.jpg

Dive deeper into the juicy, fat-streaked world of Wagyu beef, and you'll find an even more prized and rarer (pun intended) variety: Sanuki, or olive Wagyu.

Bred on a single island in Japan's Kagawa prefecture, the 2,200 cattle used for Sanuki Wagyu (of which only a few are harvested each year) are fed a diet of olives left over from olive oil production that have been toasted and dried to sweeten the fruit and temper their bitterness. The resulting beef is renowned for a "powerful umami flavor" while being marbled with the same healthy monounsaturated fat you'd find in olive oil.

I ordered a few steaks from Crowd Cow so I can try to buy a piece of that next week. Probably won't get it, but I'm interested in the Crowd Cow too...

Has anyone eve gone in with a few people and bought a cow? I heard it is a really great way to get a bunch of meat fairly inexpensively.

Has anyone eve gone in with a few people and bought a cow? I heard it is a really great way to get a bunch of meat fairly inexpensively.
We have friends who keep cows. They just butchered their first one so they know what they're going to be selling. I got some of it and it was good. Might go in on a bigger portion.
Btw, remember you'll need more freezer space than what comes with a standard home fridge/freezer combo..

I've bought a side of beef twice. It's great. But even just half is a lot of beef. You end up having red meed 3/4 times a week. The quality that I got was way better than what you'd buy at the store for a fraction of the cost.

I have a big freezer in my garage, I may consider doing it again in the future.

Been thinking about and have a friend that owns a farm; just don't know if it is dairy or beef or both. I have 2 extra fridges so storage isn't an issue and I am sure I can find a couple friends to go in with me.

Family raises beef cows and we butcher them occasionally for ourselves, get ready for ~450 lbs of beef to show up at once needing to be put in freezers right away.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT