ADVERTISEMENT

What things are better now than 30, 40, 50 years ago?

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
I’ll start…

The NBA - offenses are so much better these days

Saturday Night Live - there were some good actors back then but the humor is more balanced now.

Music - lots of variety, not the same boring classic rock over and over.

What do you all think?

Advances in health. Although in the early 70’s people knew they shouldn’t smoke and the decrease in the number of smokers had begun.

Music? Seriously? 😂😂😂

NBA Defenses? Who cares?

SNL? Original cast was fantastic.

The internet, overall, is much better today than it was, as is almost everything else based on electronic technology.
Light bulbs and televisions/monitors are shockingly improved.
Healthcare has advanced dramatically.
Cars are much safer and much more powerful, which is amazing to me.
Television shows, movies, and miniseries are generally of a much higher quality.
I find MLB and the NFL to be much more entertaining than they used to be.
Overall, I think society is in a much better place today than it was in those timeframes.

Vehicle safety is light years improved, although costs are crazy. Modern appliances are dramatically more efficient.
Although we still use our old school cast iron routinely, I got a new set of All Clad Graphite Core cookware and it is such an improvement over the old set. It is relatively lightweight and super easy to clean up.
Flea and tick deterrent for pets is much more effective and simpler to utilize.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Transportation in general but cars specifically. I was cruising on I10 at 80mph a few weeks ago I was a little over 2k rpm. The cars I was driving 40-50 years ago would be at 5k rpm+. There was no way they would hold up for multiple 8 hour trips at that speed.
Agree about cars/trucks, but rail and air are lagging.
Upgrades to the air traffic control system are desperately needed and the latest from Boeing is basically unacceptable.
Rail, well, no need to comment there.

Upgrades to the air traffic control system are desperately needed and the latest from Boeing is basically unacceptable.
Rail and bus transport is lagging in the US but not everywhere. Europe and Asia are light years ahead of the US in the public transport sector. Air travel while much less glamorous than 50 years ago is much more efficient and faster. Even with the added security the process is usually painless. If you could remove people from the equation things would be great.

Reactions: F4Gary
In general technology has made most things better, everything from cars, phones and light bulbs are better. TV is light years better due to streaming. Cars are also safer even with idiots driving them. Products are available at the push of a button or even if you want to go to the store the process is easy, and you can get anything. Logistics are light years ahead of what they were years ago.

Tech has had a negative effect though. People don't and can't communicate anymore, kids will be worse than we are when they grow up and the me mentality will get worse. Commercials are worse. I can't watch live TV anymore and have to pay to not see ads everywhere. Sports are worse than they were. NBA, NFL, MLB have long been unwatchable and sadly college football is becoming the same way.

I think we live in a safer society than we did but due to the media and technology we hear all the negative thing out there so people are more divided than before or so it seems.

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
Vehicle safety is light years improved, although costs are crazy. Modern appliances are dramatically more efficient.
Although we still use our old school cast iron routinely, I got a new set of All Clad Graphite Core cookware and it is such an improvement over the old set. It is relatively lightweight and super easy to clean up.
Flea and tick deterrent for pets is much more effective and simpler to utilize.
I have a full set of JA Henckel nonstick and stainless cookware and still mainly use the cast iron stuff. Although you can't beat nonstick for stuff like eggs and grilled cheese.

Reactions: goldmom
In general technology has made most things better, everything from cars, phones and light bulbs are better. TV is light years better due to streaming. Cars are also safer even with idiots driving them. Products are available at the push of a button or even if you want to go to the store the process is easy, and you can get anything. Logistics are light years ahead of what they were years ago.

Tech has had a negative effect though. People don't and can't communicate anymore, kids will be worse than we are when they grow up and the me mentality will get worse. Commercials are worse. I can't watch live TV anymore and have to pay to not see ads everywhere. Sports are worse than they were. NBA, NFL, MLB have long been unwatchable and sadly college football is becoming the same way.

I think we live in a safer society than we did but due to the media and technology we hear all the negative thing out there so people are more divided than before or so it seems.
Agree except for your last paragraph. We are much safer in our cars, but I don't think we live in a safer society than we did 20,3,40 years ago.

Reactions: goldmom
Agree except for your last paragraph. We are much safer in our cars, but I don't think we live in a safer society than we did 20,3,40 years ago.
I mean overall but maybe it just seems that way to me. However, if we keep down this path of open borders, lax justice system and law enforcement it wont stay that way for long.

America is much safer now compared to 20, 30 and 40 years ago.

Violent crime is way down compared to the 1990's.

"The FBI data also shows a 59% reduction in the U.S. property crime rate between 1993 and 2022, with big declines in the rates of burglary (-75%), larceny/theft (-54%) and motor vehicle theft (-53%).

Using the BJS statistics, the declines in the violent and property crime rates are even steeper than those captured in the FBI data. Per BJS, the U.S. violent and property crime rates each fell 71% between 1993 and 2022."

I think most things are better due to options and convenience. You can’t tell me the music experience isn’t better now because you have almost endless options at your finger tips at all times. I don’t think “pop” music is any better than it was but there are so many artists who exist now because they’re able to build followings on YouTube and streaming services.

Two things kind of jump out.
Car safety and comfort is so much better it’s not even close. Even low end cars have tons of features and are mostly reliable. 40 years ago that absolutely wasn’t the case.

TV Shows. I’d say HBO kind of started it with shows like the Sopranos but the amount of really good TV shows available now is incredible. No one talks about movies (which have absolutely suffered) they talk about what TV show they’re watching.

Safety (equipment, rules and medical care) for football players at the youth, high school, collegiate and pro levels is much better----I was knocked out (undersized DB who liked to hit) three times in high school (1965-67)---I doubt I would have passed the mandatory concussion protocols in place now!

s-l1600.jpg

Oh I don’t know…TV was pretty good back then.

Choices in TV are much greater then they used to be but as to quality it’s a matter of taste.
I was not all that crazy about the Sopranos but the “inspiration” for the series was obviously (IMO) the Godfather movies.
As to a Miniseries format, Roots was groundbreaking (1978).

TV Shows. I’d say HBO kind of started it with shows like the Sopranos but the amount of really good TV shows available now is incredible. No one talks about movies (which have absolutely suffered) they talk about what TV show they’re watching.
I agree that the movies made for the theater box offices have declined dramatically in quality, but I think that is absolutely intentional. Those movies are explicitly made for one purpose only: to make as much money as possible. And those terrible movies make hundreds millions and, in some cases, billions of dollars.

At the same time, the major and minor studios are putting out dozens of absolutely fantastic movies every single year. Last year was the first time that I can remember struggling to make it through my list of "good" movies to watch. All ten of the nominees for the Best Picture Oscar last year were phenomenally good movies, and they were all wildly different and creative films.

Overall, I agree, there is just so much good television being made in the 21st century. At any given time, there are at least a dozen shows that I want to watch without even counting the big landmark water cooler shows like Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
I can say that I have seen a substantial and ongoing improvement in all levels of rail travel here over the last 25 years with a lot more planned for the coming years. The new electric trains in LA and the Bay Area are really nice.

Though speaker technology for floorstanders isn’t dramatically different, accessibility to good audio is great. I still use bowers and Wilkins speakers I bought 20 years ago as the core to my atmos theater. But, in my bedroom I’ve got a Sonos arc, subwoofer and surrounds. The dsp/engineering on those is impressive. Car audio is a huge improvement, with the availability of much better engineered systems even in low tier vehicles.

The accessibility of Apple Music library anywhere is a major luxury. The diversity of music now is amazing.

Electronic drums today are fantastic compared to what they were. I had one of the original Roland E-kits in the 90s, which I used in my dorm room at mccollum hall. Those were cool, but nothing compared to what is available now. The dynamic range improvements are incredible, especially the new hi hat, ride and snare developments. Also, the integration with computing is impressive. To practice, I've got an ipad bluetooth connected to my kit. I can mix myself into music. There are programs available, e.g., Musora, which allow simultaneous view of sheet music and performance and drumless tracks. I can slow down performance to work out tricky parts. There's an integrated metronome. Also, there are now remote performer DAW integrations. I can collaborate with people who live far away to write music. Love my Edrums

I have something going on at work. And, I was just sitting in my office waiting. And I’ve got a quest 3. Put a huge Netflix screen on one wall and browsing the Internet 🛜 on another tethered to my phone for Internet. Flawless.

The ability to make phone calls cheaply from anywhere. Smart phones are an obvious one.

Lighting. Love my hue lights. So convenient. And very cool to be able set lighting scenes easily.

Audibook access. Ebooks.

Flying with noise cancellation.

CarPlay.

Banking. Mobile deposits. Phone based trades. Zelle. Venmo. All make life much easier.

People were nicer before though.

Last edited:

TV/monitor size, resolution and dynamic range are dramatically improved. I'm typing this displayed on a 4K HDR projector 106 inch screen. The communication integration is also fantastic. I play video games weekly with my brother, his former college roommate, and a rotation of a few guys who all live far apart. The communication is instantaneous. We play across formats, computer, consoles, VR. Everything works with minimal troubleshooting.

This is true on the go as well. My son has a Switch. He wanted to play fortnite with me at a hotel we were staying at. I took out my iPad pro and an xbox controller, connected to the microsoft xbox cloud service, loaded up fortnite, joined a group with him, and we played a game. That's really quite incredible compared to where things were 30 years ago. That's cross platform, streamed, nearly instantaneous integrated gaming. If only my old eyes were as good :)

Last edited:
Though speaker technology for floorstanders isn’t dramatically different, accessibility to good audio is great. I still use bowers and Wilkins speakers I bought 20 years ago as the core to my atmos theater. But, in my bedroom I’ve got a Sonos arc, subwoofer and surrounds. The dsp/engineering on those is impressive. Car audio is a huge improvement, with the availability of much better engineered systems even in low tier vehicles.

The accessibility of Apple Music library anywhere is a major luxury. The diversity of music now is amazing.

Electronic drums today are fantastic compared to what they were. I had one of the original Roland E-kits in the 90s, which I used in my dorm room at mccollum hall. Those were cool, but nothing compared to what is available now. The dynamic range improvements are incredible, especially the new hi hat, ride and snare developments. Also, the integration with computing is impressive. To practice, I've got an ipad bluetooth connected to my kit. I can mix myself into music. There are programs available, e.g., Musora, which allow simultaneous view of sheet music and performance and drumless tracks. I can slow down performance to work out tricky parts. There's an integrated metronome. Also, there are now remote performer DAW integrations. I can collaborate with people who live far away to write music. Love my Edrums

I have something going on at work. And, I was just sitting in my office waiting. And I’ve got a quest 3. Put a huge Netflix screen on one wall and browsing the Internet 🛜 on another tethered to my phone for Internet. Flawless.

The ability to make phone calls cheaply from anywhere. Smart phones are an obvious one.

Lighting. Love my hue lights. So convenient. And very cool to be able set lighting scenes easily.

Audibook access. Ebooks.

CarPlay.

Banking. Mobile deposits. Phone based trades. Zelle. Venmo. All make life much easier.

I still use a pair of Klipsch speakers I bought 30 some odd years ago, and those damn things still crank it out like nobody's business. One nice thing about the heat in SW Florida is that I have to keep all the windows closed, thus preventing irate old fart neighbors.

Audibook access. Ebooks.

CarPlay.

The only thing with the banking conveniences is that it also improves access for scammers. Venmo and Zelle both seem to have issues and I would be leery of connecting them to main accounts or sending money to people I don't know. I only use Zelle, and I limit it to family members. It's sad but you have to protect yourself these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT