ADVERTISEMENT

What vitamins/supplements do you take?

QuaZ2002

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Ive never really taken vitamins or any supplements before but with cold season coming up I'm thinking of trying some things to avoid my annual nagging cold/respiratory infection. Does anyone have anything they swear by? Obviously Vit C and zinc seem to be most popular and I've heard echinacea can also help. I'm always skeptical that any of this stuff actually works but it doesn't hurt to try.

Reactions: Lurker1999
I love echinacea but it doesn't work for some people. Worth a try you'll know within 12 hours if it helps.

Fish oil
Multi
Collagen
ZMA
Creatine
Beta alanine
Citrulline malate
Leucine
Glutamine
BCAAs

Enzyte

smiling_bob.jpg

Ive never really taken vitamins or any supplements before but with cold season coming up I'm thinking of trying some things to avoid my annual nagging cold/respiratory infection. Does anyone have anything they swear by? Obviously Vit C and zinc seem to be most popular and I've heard echinacea can also help. I'm always skeptical that any of this stuff actually works but it doesn't hurt to try.

Multivitamin, fish oil, coq-10, turmeric, Japanese knotweed/resveratrol, garlic, cinnamon and collagen. I guess I'm trying to season myself for our alien overlords.

Dang, so you guys taking all this stuff, do you feel a difference or is it a matter of reading that those things are good for you?

Reactions: EconSean
I was watching my son’s soccer practice years back with another dad when this subject came up. Brian and I would hang out down at one end of the pitch away from others in order to enjoy distance from the soccer moms and other loud ones.
Until they moved away, he was a general practitioner in our family doctor’s practice. We were talking smack and checking up on each other as we usually did and he asked about my health. I told him all seemed good and followed up with my own question which the OP has raised. “Should I be taking vitamins or supplements?”
Brian asked about my general health and well being ( he did not know details as another Doc is my primary) and I told him all seemed well. He asked if we ate a well rounded diet with fresh vegetables and fruit routinely included. I said yes as we could... He replied that unless there is a certain need for a vitamin, mineral or supplement (iron poor blood for instance), there is basically no need for supplements as we would get our needs accounted for in our routine diet. Iodine in table salt is an example he cited, not that we use much salt. A small amount goes a long way.
The other thing he mentioned is now in question due to a recent article in the New England Journal of Medicine(?). He suggested that I consider taking a baby aspirin per day, but recent evidence suggests this may not be of benefit. Again, this was some 12-15 years ago.
Understand that I am not an avid weight lifter or workout warrior, but rather a physically active guy both at work and play. I don’t do muscle building supplements or the like, but can understand those who do.

Dang, so you guys taking all this stuff, do you feel a difference or is it a matter of reading that those things are good for you?

I'm 99% sure that fish oil cured my migraines.

From 2001-2010, I got brutal migraines twice a month. I got auras and extreme pain for 7 hours straight; it felt like someone was scraping my brain with a knife. It was horrible. I saw neurologists and Doctors and they gave me crappy medicine that did nothing.

I started taking fish oil in 2011, and my migraines practically disappeared. I'll get a few a year now and they are 10% of the intensity as they were. Fish oil (Omega 3) reduces inflammation in the brain and body which causes pain.

It's been a Godsend. I always recommend fish oil to anyone with migraines.

A multi-vitamin, but only because they come in gummy bear form

Magnesium
Japanese Knotweed
Turmeric
Vit D3 w K2
Multivitamin
Fish Oil
Joint supplement
CoQ10

I also take herbs for Lyme

I'm 99% sure that fish oil cured my migraines.

From 2001-2010, I got brutal migraines twice a month. I got auras and extreme pain for 7 hours straight; it felt like someone was scraping my brain with a knife. It was horrible. I saw neurologists and Doctors and they gave me crappy medicine that did nothing.

I started taking fish oil in 2011, and my migraines practically disappeared. I'll get a few a year now and they are 10% of the intensity as they were. Fish oil (Omega 3) reduces inflammation in the brain and body which causes pain.

It's been a Godsend. I always recommend fish oil to anyone with migraines.

Wow thank you. I've been experiencing some very bad migraines recently. I'll start taking fish oil daily. Some buddies at the gym said it will also get me jacked! Any truth?

Reactions: 12Nole
Honestly a bit of both.

Anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidants you truly can never know because these are imperceptible.

But with echinacea or beta-alanine for workouts you must certainly will know.

Feel free to pm me I have I don't know how many thousands of clients and research papers.

But with echinacea or beta-alanine for workouts you must certainly will know.
I assume you're referring to paresthesia, which is, I'm sure you're aware, a harmless side effect. However, you'll definitely know it's in your system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT