ADVERTISEMENT

What would be your go to Self-Defense move?

In a Run. Hide. Fight. situation and when weapons are not an option.

@ponchfrog response & recommendations welcomed.

It depends on the situation and location. Everything is a weapon when it's used correctly.

Throat punch can work but that means that you're danger close. If you are that close to your attacker, your attacker is that close to you.

If you do have to hit, strike fast, strike hard and GTFO of there!

If it's just me and the situation is very dangerous, I would try to run and get away if I thought it were an option. If I couldn't do that I'd try to talk. If talking didn't work and it came to fighting, I'd just have to kick his arse.

If my family were around I'd stand in front of them, talk him down. If he attacked, I would take control of his wrist by grabbing them tightly; you take away a lot of their options by holding wrist. I'd then get behind him while maintaining wrist control. From there I'd get him to ground and put him in choke hold if possible, or just wear him down by putting all my weight on him with legs wrapped around waist, and maintaining wrist control. He would be out of juice in less than 60 seconds.

81704953.gif

The leg crusher.....

If my family were around I'd stand in front of them, talk him down. If he attacked, I would take control of his wrist by grabbing them tightly; you take away a lot of their options by holding wrist. I'd then get behind him while maintaining wrist control. From there I'd get him to ground and put him in choke hold if possible, or just wear him down by putting all my weight on him with legs wrapped around waist, and maintaining wrist control. He would be out of juice in less than 60 seconds.

You are a judo black belt?

You are a judo black belt?
Not judo, but 10 years of wrestling; went to state every year, placed jr year, injured myself sr year. I would have placed, maybe won.

I'm old and out of shape, but I'm still good for maintaining wrist control and slipping behind someone and then riding legs. If I get legs in they will get choked out no problem.

Not judo, but 10 years of wrestling; went to state every year, placed jr year, injured myself sr year. I would have placed, maybe won.

I'm old and out of shape, but I'm still good for maintaining wrist control and slipping behind someone and then riding legs. If I get legs in they will get choked out no problem.

10 years of wrestling. Legit. I wish I had taken up that sport rather than football. Learning something similar now with BJJ. It would have been a lot easier learning as a youth.

10 years of wrestling. Legit. I wish I had taken up that sport rather than football. Learning something similar now with BJJ. It would have been a lot easier learning as a youth.

I never did BJJ, but seems to be something you can do late into your life. Also more practical for real life self defense.

I enjoyed wrestling, but not sure I'll recommend it to my sons. It's insainly hard on your body, not just the wrenching on it, but the dieting more so. It's a full time sport too. You can't halfass wrestling and expect to be good. You have to practice technique for 1-2 hours a day and then do cardio for 1-2 hours a day, and then go home and literally only eat peanuts, all while maintaining your school work. Need to lift weights and do a wrestling club or camp during summer, and massive amounts of running during the fall in preparation for season....sounds fun, right!?!?

The biggest bummer of wrestling is this: once you graduate high school, chances are you will never wrestle in your life again. There aren't that many local intermural wrestling clubs; and again, even if there are, you have to be in incredible good shape to actually enjoy participating.

I'll recommend to my kids they play soccer and golf. They can play those sports for life and with little injuries and abuse to your body.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I would whip out my extraordinary telepathic and telekinetic powers.

giphy.gif

Depends on the situation. If it's seriously a danger then I'm taking out a knee or ankle with a kick/stomp or breaking fingers if he grabs me. It's not kosher in competition but extremely effective in real life. If I'm grabbed and put in a hold then I'm stomping or grabbing the family jewels with a free hand if I have one, and can't get a good finger lock on them. Eye gouges aren't out of the question either.

If it's not so serious the. Usually I just grab their wrists when they swing and control them until they calm down. Or deflect their attacks a few times and maybe take them down.

Most people won't try to fight me though. I'm not physically intimidating, but I've got really good crazy eyes. The right stare can let poeple know that they don't want to risk it.

It's been a long time since I've been in a real fight though. Last time. A guy swung at me for touching his hat and i caught his wrist. He then swing with his left and I caught that one also. I pinned him up against the bar and slid a barstool between us with my leg so he couldn't knee me or try to trip me backwards. He struggled for a couple of minutes and then eventually calmed down and I let him go. The bad thing is he had a friend that wanted to hit me over the head with a pool cue, but the good thing is we were at my local bar and surrounded by friends of mine.

Not involved anymore, but way back in the day I was a blue belt in Tang Soo Do.

I never did BJJ, but seems to be something you can do late into your life. Also more practical for real life self defense.

I enjoyed wrestling, but not sure I'll recommend it to my sons. It's insainly hard on your body, not just the wrenching on it, but the dieting more so. It's a full time sport too. You can't halfass wrestling and expect to be good. You have to practice technique for 1-2 hours a day and then do cardio for 1-2 hours a day, and then go home and literally only eat peanuts, all while maintaining your school work. Need to lift weights and do a wrestling club or camp during summer, and massive amounts of running during the fall in preparation for season....sounds fun, right!?!?

The biggest bummer of wrestling is this: once you graduate high school, chances are you will never wrestle in your life again. There aren't that many local intermural wrestling clubs; and again, even if there are, you have to be in incredible good shape to actually enjoy participating.

I'll recommend to my kids they play soccer and golf. They can play those sports for life and with little injuries and abuse to your body.
Many do choose to do what you do with weight which is really tough. But when I wrestled I wrestled at my natural weight even after eating and stuff. I only wrestled 1year. Wish I had done it more. Very underrated sport. When you get older you can always transition to BJJ. Just learn it will be fine to be on your back as opposed to wrestling.

Reactions: DanC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT