ADVERTISEMENT

What would you think if you got this text from a lower level employee?

Sled dog don't care who beats it...

p29758_p_v8_aa.jpg

Just wanted to thank all for this thread. Made my AM.

Answering, completely agree, less is more in the notice of "not today, The Man, not today." She clearly told you no matter what, she wasn't coming in, had better plans for hump day. If routine issue, you know what to do. Some days, you just don't want to go to work. Don't we all have that?, hers was today.

Not only are entry level people easy to replace, entry level jobs are easy to find. I will say, seeing all the CPAs around me, what a shitty time of year. At least you get Xmas off, not like retail.

Reactions: cmanole
oh, and @SeaPA , I am taking ACCT5500 right now, why would you do this to yourself? So much fun, I might be taking it again next semester...

early in the morning before you headed to your office:

"Good morning, I just wanted to let you know I'm not going to make it in today; I was sick last night and as it turns out my husband needs my car anyway, his is broken down and he didn't have another way to work."

o_O

If they have the leave and it’s one day who cares?

I only care if it’s multiple days in a row unexpected or if they’re out of paid leave and want unpaid leave which is an annoyance to me as I have to spend an hour in the HR system setting it up.

I took more than a few “Screw it Days” when I was a government drone, so I don’t expect my salaried minions to be more invested in my profits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I took more than a few “Screw it Days” when I was a government drone, so I don’t expect my salaried minions to be more invested in my profits.
On point.
As another poster mentioned, while entry level employees maybe easy to replace (although good and great ones not), for the employee, entry level jobs are also replaceable and to the extent you don't love your company, boss, or reward, might as well spread your elbows a bit and see what kind of wiggle room you can carve out for yourself.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
On point.
As another poster mentioned, while entry level employees maybe easy to replace (although good and great ones not), for the employee, entry level jobs are also replaceable and to the extent you don't love your company, boss, or reward, might as well spread your elbows a bit and see what kind of wiggle room you can carve out for yourself.

Exactly, it is easy to blame the employees as "people have no loyalty to the business", but I would submit over the last 30 years, businesses have become even LESS loyal to the employees. Mom and pop's aside.

I’m thinking she

1. Doesn’t like her job
2. Is sick and cannot make it in
3. Doesn’t care what you think about her not coming in

I’m thinking she

1. Doesn’t like her job

Or

2. Is sick and can make it in

And 3...she doesn't know the art of how to get out of work.

True but it’s pretty #^%*y management style if employees feel they have to trick their managers to take leave. Treat employees like children and they have to act like children. Let employees manage their own schedule and benefits and lo and behold 95+% act like adults. If they don’t then counsel them and if they don’t figure it out after counselling THEN can them. But leave is a contracted for benefit for them to use not some gift from a manager.

Unless you have reason to not trust this person who works for you then probably she is sick and is either venting about her husband's "need" for the car, or she's just too ignorant to know when to stop writing.

True but it’s pretty #^%*y management style if employees feel they have to trick their managers to take leave. Treat employees like children and they have to act like children. Let employees manage their own schedule and benefits and lo and behold 95+% act like adults. If they don’t then counsel them and if they don’t figure it out after counselling THEN can them. But leave is a contracted for benefit for them to use not some gift from a manager.

wouldn't say it's crappy management, just a little old school...and really to be expected when you work a small business.

But my first thoughts when I read the text is that she isn't happy working there and doesn't really care what SeaPA thinks about her not coming in, ( I edited my original post to reflect this).

wouldn't say it's crappy management, just a little old school...and really to be expected when you work a small business.

But my first thoughts when I read the text is that she isn't happy working there and doesn't really care what SeaPA thinks about her not coming in, ( I edited my original post to reflect this).

You could say I have a small business depending on how you look at it. We only have about 25 full time staff and about 20 part time/prn staff. Now if you throw in independent contractors who are doing the billing, cooking, tech servicing, janitorial, and some alternative modalities like yoga, acupuncture and chiropractic you might be able to double it. So probably around 100 people working at my direction although only 25 getting bennies, and I’m not approving all leave as the three department heads are (medical, nursing and behavioural health). But I made it abundantly clear that our leave is to be granted automatically without question if it’s vacation time requested two weeks out and not on a holiday or sick leave that’s less than three days in a row not around a holiday. Only three plus days of unscheduled sick leave and scheduling around the holidays get bumped up to me.

As I read her email again, it seems very clear to me that she is telling you her husband is at work and she's home alone, so come on over. And as long as her vehicle is not in the driveway you are good to go.

Please let us know how it goes.
Reminds me of the guy at work long ago (we were working night shift) who counseled me when a mechanical shut down sent us home early. He said to knock on the front door and run around to the back and see who is leaving...
Oh, BTW Sea... we got your back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT