ADVERTISEMENT

Who is dreading holiday visitors?

NYCNole

Star Player
Apr 1, 2002
X-mas is ruined as mother-in-law is staying with us from 12/22-12/27. Then my non stop talking bro-in-law & girlfriend are squatting from 12/28-1/1. Hiding out at my brothers place is only option.

Looking forward to watching college football playoffs on New Years Eve with family members who don't follow sports.

Anyone else hosting Cousin Eddie types?

My in-laws will be visiting but they're here all the time as it is. I get along with them just fine. They're going to be moving here by the end of the year.

My wife's brother is driving down with his wife and three boys and those are the visitors I'm dreading. Their oldest kid is an obnoxious smart mouth, the middle child is a wimp who cries all the time and gets babied by his mother and the youngest grunts and knocks furniture over. Thankfully my wife talked them into staying at a hotel nearby :D

Sounds like one of those times when alcohol "is" the answer.

I just dread Christmas in general. Probably my least favorite holiday. Doesn't help that the media/stores/etc start pushing it at Halloween.

My in laws will be visiting sometime before Christmas. It's not too bad, the kid loves having them here and they help out alot.

Maybe my wife. I look forward to it as I don't see my family very often. They don't stay with us, so it's not too taxing. Her folks visit in the summer. They tend to stay too long.

My wife's family all live on the island or just on the mainland, so that biggest discussion is who is hosting. No long term stays. We'll be out of town every weekend up until Christmas and then going to hill country Marriott the weekend after Christmas. So there will not be a lot of time with her family. Probably won't even make tamales this year -- which saddens me.

I don't dread it, minus the 20 Questions I'll get about when I'm going to meet a women or get married.

My sister's husbands family is great and we all get along very well so that has made Holidays better since my Grandma passed away and my Dad moved out of Houston. Also, there's a house full of four Labradors so that makes it more fun!

Both my family and my wife's are local and always around as it is. We'll see everyone during the holidays but only short visits, never an overnight stay. I'm curious how this will change when we move in a couple years. I'm sure there will be times when family wants to come see us and times when they want us to visit them. My preference will be to say F 'em and head to Vegas or Key West for Christmas but we'll see what the wife prefers to do.

one of the best decisions I ever made was to start our own family tradition after I got married - boundaries are important but Holiday boundaries even more so

They don't visit. We have to go there. And because my wife's parents are divorced, and have new families from the next marriages, and there is a group of her siblings who won't go anywhere....it's another three house Christmas...wheeeeeee!

Another thread with NYC not getting along with somebody.

As for me, it will just be the wife, my son and I. Of course the in laws will be in just after Christmas for my son's birthday party, but I'll survive. Maybe with the help of Jack Daniels, but I'll survive.

Another thread with NYC not getting along with somebody.

As for me, it will just be the wife, my son and I. Of course the in laws will be in just after Christmas for my son's birthday party, but I'll survive. Maybe with the help of Jack Daniels, but I'll survive.
Try having visitors in your house for 10 days, extremely taxing. I haven't argued with a neighbor in years! Pretty popular guy in the new hood.

MIL last year as kids opening gifts, "is the coffee ready yet, it's cold in here". Lovely family moment.

Try having visitors in your house for 10 days, extremely taxing. I haven't argued with a neighbor in years! Pretty popular guy in the new hood.

MIL last year as kids opening gifts, "is the coffee ready yet, it's cold in here". Lovely family moment.
Oh, trust me I know. I open my house up to family and friends all the time. I guess I just have better luck with my visitors.

X-mas is ruined as mother-in-law is staying with us from 12/22-12/27. Then my non stop talking bro-in-law & girlfriend are squatting from 12/28-1/1. Hiding out at my brothers place is only option.

Looking forward to watching college football playoffs on New Years Eve with family members who don't follow sports.

Anyone else hosting Cousin Eddie types?

My wife and I were just talking about this a few days ago. I think we have come to the conclusion that we are going away for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We hate bouncing from house to house for the holidays.

Yeah, staying 10 days plus the bitching would piss me right off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT