ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people love Briles so much?

Noleway85

Starter
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2018
Boca Raton, FL
There is no doubt that Briles offense scores points against mediocre to poor defenses. He is clearly an upgrade from Taggart offense, but I am not ready to vote for him to be my head coach any time soon. Some people think Briles is an offensive genius and there appears to be a lot of evidence to the contrary. Let's start with 88th ranking on 3rd down conversions. If you watch the games maybe you notice that his receivers normally catch balls 2 to 3 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down. It happens too often for it not to be coaching. And then there is this Clemson 253 yds 14 pts., Miami 203 yds 10 pts. His offense does not work against good defenses with equal to better athletes. It appears that he does not use the middle of the field effectively and his offense cannot put together drives and against good teams you have to be able to use the whole field and drive the ball. Yes the chunk plays are exciting and we get some breakaway scores. However my guess is his offense will not fare well against Florida because they have equal athletes and so far I am not convinced his offense is good enough against those type of teams. I know some will argue that he does not have a QB that can run his system and they may be right, but he could make adjustments with the players he does have and he rarely does. So before we anoint Briles the next Coach in Waiting as @dotcom stated in his coaching nuggets, take a factual look at Briles and really ask yourself does he have a championship caliber offensive system and my guess is probably not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News