ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

She's ours now, so let's hope that she is healthy and ready to learn from Coacha!

Reactions: ParooKid
Back to another recent post, it sure seems like the softball program is headed in the wrong direction when it comes to public relations for keeping its fan base informed (during the season or otherwise).

Looking at the Arizona State Website, they seem to think Loyalty will be a nice pickup for us if Coacha can fix her inconsistency.

I sure hate to lose BB. You would think our hitting coaches (whoever they are) could fix her offensive woes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ParooKid
I hope Hartley is having a great summer.
For the WCWS to be in our plans this coming year, we are going to need for the pitching staff to carry us.
DuBois and Royalty need to be the real deals.

Reactions: ranger43
I never had that thought. I always said either Hartley or Harding. (obviously for different reasons)

I can see Harding because of her rocket for an arm. Can she handle the fielding part?

Sad to hear about Brooke. Sat with her parents at Clearwater and she was super excited about coming to fsu. What I gathered after the elite was that they wish that they had redshirted her for the season but it was too late in the year. They continued to play her in spots. I think she even got one more chance to start in a doubleheader but bat wasn’t coming around and there were even some mis-plays in the field. Muffley continued to do what Muffley does. She was making sports center top 10 plays and was very effective at the bottom of the lineup working pitches and great at sacrifice bunting. When the spot needed a little more pop, you’d see Brooke inserted. But with muffley doing her thing, there was no position for brooke. So a top recruit sees the situation with Muffley back for another year, 3rd is not Brooke’s position and other teams dying to get her and now she puts her name in the transfer portal. It is where we are now with the portal and going after top recruits.

I can see Harding because of her rocket for an arm. Can she handle the fielding part?
I believe she was a catcher out of High School. Should have good glove and arm and would fill the hitting void at third. JMHO

Sad to hear about Brooke. Sat with her parents at Clearwater and she was super excited about coming to fsu. What I gathered after the elite was that they wish that they had redshirted her for the season but it was too late in the year. They continued to play her in spots. I think she even got one more chance to start in a doubleheader but bat wasn’t coming around and there were even some mis-plays in the field. Muffley continued to do what Muffley does. She was making sports center top 10 plays and was very effective at the bottom of the lineup working pitches and great at sacrifice bunting. When the spot needed a little more pop, you’d see Brooke inserted. But with muffley doing her thing, there was no position for brooke. So a top recruit sees the situation with Muffley back for another year, 3rd is not Brooke’s position and other teams dying to get her and now she puts her name in the transfer portal. It is where we are now with the portal and going after top recruits.
I say again they wasted a year of her eligibility.

She did not look very impressive at first in the ACC Championship Game.
1st is a very different position. Her pulling spot duty at 1st shouldn't be held against her. Reps help. She did make some very nice plays at 1st throughout the season at times.

I think she'd be much more consistent as an every day player at either 1st or 3rd.

Looking forward to seeing what Lonni ends up doing.

Reactions: FLSnole
Not impressed with Harding's defensive reactions in the outfield or at 1st. Yes has a cannon arm. Maybe this is why she was a catcher. Can Edenfield be taught to play 1st when Leonard pitches, then her last 2 seasons? What options are there for the outfield that can also hit?

We all need to follow the fall season as closely as possible.

What are we going to do with Katie Bright? She was the #26 rated player in the country coming in. Hartley was #18 and Brooke was #5). She can't be Edenfield's back-up for 4 years. Yet, she is only listed as a catcher. Edenfield to first?

Reactions: NoleLizards
So Extra Innings changed their ranking system in the last few years. He used to do one (occasionally two) player(s) per slot, now there are as many as 4 or 5 per slot. so although one may be ranked in the twenties there maybe 50 something names in front of them. No knock on any of the kids you mentioned, but again these rankings are very, very subjective, slightly deceptive, and play no material or objective factor in how a player is going to perform in college. I haven't done the math but I would guess the 2021 player Top 100 contains about 250 kids (and I am sure he does it to get subscriptions), but there is no real correlation between Brent's rankings and actual performance and there is no way he has done a thorough evaluation of all 250 kids. (BTW, Max Preps and Flo Softball are worse.) I just looked at the 2020 Top 100 which includes a lot more than 100 kids and I don't see Kalei Harding (a great player) anywhere to be found. So although the rankings might present some good initial conversation fodder, I don't think the player's "ranking" is a barometer of their ability to perform at FSU's level and trust actual performance during games and/or trust the coaches ability to evaluate these kids at practice every single day and trust they put the best players on the field to win, especially since it is their job to do so (and have been very, very successful in doing so). In short, I trust Coacha, TWill, TCam, and Rafter a lot more than i trust Brent Eadds, travel ball coaches (and parent), and the MaxPreps algorithm.

Last edited:
Good to see all of the new interest in FSU Softball on this board. Historically, especially in the off season. there has been just a handful of us. Thanks to everyone for contributing to a sport that many of us follow. Yes Dot, there are sports besides football.

Maybe they should pin the softball and soccer threads on the TC to get more traffic. Outside of football, the softball team is my favorite program to follow. I never knew there was a thread until this past season.

So Extra Innings changed their ranking system in the last few years. He used to do one (occasionally two) player(s) per slot, now there are as many as 4 or 5 per slot. so although one may be ranked in the twenties there maybe 50 something names in front of them. No knock on any of the kids you mentioned, but again these rankings are very, very subjective, slightly deceptive, and play no material or objective factor in how a player is going to perform in college. I haven't done the math but I would guess the 2021 player Top 100 contains about 250 kids (and I am sure he does it to get subscriptions), but there is no real correlation between Brent's rankings and actual performance and there is no way he has done a thorough evaluation of all 250 kids. (BTW, Max Preps and Flo Softball are worse.) I just looked at the 2020 Top 100 which includes a lot more than 100 kids and I don't see Kalei Harding (a great player) anywhere to be found. So although the rankings might present some good initial conversation fodder, I don't think the player's "ranking" is a barometer of their ability to perform at FSU's level and trust actual performance during games and/or trust the coaches ability to evaluate these kids at practice every single day and trust they put the best players on the field to win, especially since it is their job to do so (and have been very, very successful in doing so). In short, I trust Coacha, TWill, TCam, and Rafter a lot more than i trust Brent Eadds, travel ball coaches (and parent), and the MaxPreps algorithm.
Ditto

Not impressed with Harding's defensive reactions in the outfield or at 1st. Yes has a cannon arm. Maybe this is why she was a catcher. Can Edenfield be taught to play 1st when Leonard pitches, then her last 2 seasons? What options are there for the outfield that can also hit?

We all need to follow the fall season as closely as possible.
This is interesting - I agree we need to play Bright somewhere and I think Harding can play 3rd if given reps (she obviously would fill the needed hitting vacuum at 3rd and has a cannon for an arm) . Maybe Edenfield can play 1st but I am sure Coacha needs to give Keen a opportunity to play. Ross needs to play somewhere (maybe can take an outfield position) . (By the way - we keep recruiting a catcher every year and they all can't start/play - we have 2 there now and have Frey coming this year--2022 - and Beachum C/3b the year after etc. etc.--2023 ) -- I have said before the next few months will define our program for the next 3 years.

redsoxnole, You seem to have some legit info.
Are we through with the portal this summer?
No CFer or 3B?

Reactions: ranger43
This is interesting - I agree we need to play Bright somewhere and I think Harding can play 3rd if given reps (she obviously would fill the needed hitting vacuum at 3rd and has a cannon for an arm) . Maybe Edenfield can play 1st but I am sure Coacha needs to give Keen a opportunity to play. Ross needs to play somewhere (maybe can take an outfield position) . (By the way - we keep recruiting a catcher every year and they all can't start/play - we have 2 there now and have Frey coming this year--2022 - and Beachum C/3b the year after etc. etc.--2023 ) -- I have said before the next few months will define our program for the next 3 years.
You left out LoPreste who will be back from back surgery.

Just read where Royalty first visited UF and then came to FSU where she signed. Would be interesting to know if the Gators offered (or not).

So the only pitcher we sign, first goes to the Gators and then travels to us. I guess our travel budget is still a little tight. A little of the luster may be off from her signing for me, till she makes the Gators pay next season. Disclaimer: I know none of the particulars from her Gainesville trip.

Reactions: FletchCC
Just read where Royalty first visited UF and then came to FSU where she signed. Would be interesting to know if the Gators offered (or not).

So the only pitcher we sign, first goes to the Gators and then travels to us. I guess our travel budget is still a little tight. A little of the luster may be off from her signing for me, till she makes the Gators pay next season. Disclaimer: I know none of the particulars from her Gainesville trip.
People usually want the last visit. Not sure why this is an issue.

Reactions: redsoxnole
I know in football, being the last visited school is preferred. However, within the last month, we read where FSU was interested in the Arizona State ss and the Michigan pitcher. Both visited Oklahoma first and, when offered, shut their recruitment down. I also believe there was someone that went to Oklahoma State before coming here - and committed without ever giving us a chance.

I know in football, being the last visited school is preferred. However, within the last month, we read where FSU was interested in the Arizona State ss and the Michigan pitcher. Both visited Oklahoma first and, when offered, shut their recruitment down. I also believe there was someone that went to Oklahoma State before coming here - and committed without ever giving us a chance.
Not sure I’d compare Oklahoma and anyone else at this point. They get who they want and if a top player has an OU offer it’s likely seen as a national championship as well.

FSU should certainly be interested in kids that could play at OU, but the chances of anyone pulling a kid that OU wants is pretty slim.

Not sure I’d compare Oklahoma and anyone else at this point. They get who they want and if a top player has an OU offer it’s likely seen as a national championship as well.

FSU should certainly be interested in kids that could play at OU, but the chances of anyone pulling a kid that OU wants is pretty slim.
Could not disagree more. OU has a great program but so do we. I believe our Coach is light years better.

Reactions: runningnole
Could not disagree more. OU has a great program but so do we. I believe our Coach is light years better.
What exactly did I say to disagree with? OU pretty much gets who they want. You don’t believe that to be true after the example that we were interested in two top transfers who went to Norman and committed without visiting anywhere else?

They’ve won four of the last six national championships. No one said anything about our coach or their coach, but their program is on a different level from everyone else.

What exactly did I say to disagree with? OU pretty much gets who they want. You don’t believe that to be true after the example that we were interested in two top transfers who went to Norman and committed without visiting anywhere else?

They’ve won four of the last six national championships. No one said anything about our coach or their coach, but their program is on a different level from everyone else.
Oklahoma just picked up Cydney Sanders from Arizona State. Sanders was the Pac 12 Freshman of the Year, Top 3 for National Rookie of the Year and First Team All American. Additionally, Sanders finished second on the Sun Devil roster with a .425 batting average in 2022, notching 21 home runs; 63 RBIs; and a slugging percentage of .952. Her home run total set a new single-single ASU program record.

• Angry
Reactions: bryanscho
Oklahoma just picked up Cydney Sanders from Arizona State. Sanders was the Pac 12 Freshman of the Year, Top 3 for National Rookie of the Year and First Team All American. Additionally, Sanders finished second on the Sun Devil roster with a .425 batting average in 2022, notching 21 home runs; 63 RBIs; and a slugging percentage of .952. Her home run total set a new single-single ASU program record.
They may have 9 all Americans starting

• Wow
Reactions: NoleLizards

This is the part I disagree with "but the chances of anyone pulling a kid that OU wants is pretty slim.". I believe our coach does a great job of developing relationships and we can compete on those HS players we have identified and go after. The portal players want to play right now as they may not have much time left so that is their major consideration. OK had major attrition and needed help now at some positions-- they will be good but can be beaten. We also lost or have the potential of losing (one way or another ) about 9 players from last years roster- so we need help too. We have 5 coming (right now) so we will see. JMHO

I am of the opinion that Harding is best left in RF. Third base requires great jump on the ball, lateral quickness, fearlessness, and a great arm. A high game IQ, and a stout bat sure help. Coacha needs to find that type of player.

Reactions: ParooKid and Tom81
This is the part I disagree with "but the chances of anyone pulling a kid that OU wants is pretty slim.". I believe our coach does a great job of developing relationships and we can compete on those HS players we have identified and go after. The portal players want to play right now as they may not have much time left so that is their major consideration. OK had major attrition and needed help now at some positions-- they will be good but can be beaten. We also lost or have the potential of losing (one way or another ) about 9 players from last years roster- so we need help too. We have 5 coming (right now) so we will see. JMHO
I like almost all of your takes, but I disagree here.
OU is getting all or at least many of their #1 wants. We are not, not even close! Name one portal player we have beaten OU for? Name one HS player we have beaten them for!
It may happen, but not often.

Reactions: cnole1
I like almost all of your takes, but I disagree here.
OU is getting all or at least many of their #1 wants. We are not, not even close! Name one portal player we have beaten OU for? Name one HS player we have beaten them for!
It may happen, but not often.
Maybe you missed the part “ identified and went after” in relation to HS talent-- HS recruiting is more about relationships and fit. Syd came here and had an offer from OK-- some say they only offered walk on - but I do not know the back story on that-- I do know we got her and I am glad she came here. There is not many recruits we mutually identify ( ours occurs mainly thru camps ) and offer. Portal acquisition is a whole different animal -- its more frenzied , forceful and like a used car salesman (of course these days NIL is a big part of that) . We really don’t recruit aggressively for portal players in my mind. Some of this may just be fit - Coacha likes players who fit a certain profile- she is not going to disrupt team continuity or chemistry for 1 player who may be a short timer. I stand by my statement- at least until August when we see those who commit who may be on everyone’s lists - including OK. We do have several who fit that mold this recruiting cycle (2024) and I believe we will offer and then I may have a current example-- or if we re unlucky - maybe not.

Last edited:
So LIndsay Lopez a pitcher from ASU with a 2.12 ERA over 112 innings goes to UW.
Royalty may end up being fine, but in terms of innings and ERA she was 4th on the ASU staff
at 4.86 over 31.2 innings.
She may have battled injuries, but her freshman year was 11-6 with a 3.20 ERA. :(
We need a 2nd pitcher in the ballpark of KJH or Sandercock!
The only way to beat OU will be to have at least 2 Sandercocks, both on their game!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT