ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

You guys never consider that Coacha has just 12 total scholarships to work with, few players get full rides, and upper class women typically see more money — that ratio year by year is typically defined going in and coaches are hesitant to take promised money away.

Transfers are going to go the places that also offer them a fair proportion of scholarship money, especially if from out of state, and FSU has fewer holes (save for OU) than most/all schools, despite what some her say.
Concur with this. BUT-- Most coaches can balance the money out with additional Pell grants , academic scholarships ( especially Florida which has a good program for academic scholarships (Bright Futures) with those who are good students)--- Florida also has a program where parents can pay tuition ahead-- for instance my son got academic help (Bright Futures ) as well as Florida pre-paid (paid by Dad over 15 years ) so when he got in he really did not need any help (until he got to Stetson Law). Many of our Florida players have some of these available.

SO Coacha can balance by doing an initial wallet test and then cover the rest via scholarship- often for Florida HS players only 50% is needed (even without Pell) . Out of state players (assuming they went to HS out of state) need more but Pell and other options are available. I promise you most of our players are getting their needs met through some of these options.

I also see the new NCAA proposals seem to allow for schools to give as more scholarships if they want. We will see. All of this is to say I assume Coacha planned for meeting her needs and had an economic solution available in case she needed to bring in Portal help. Not good planning if she didn't.

Agree with this. Oklahoma lost a ton. We essentially lost our all-world everything 3rd baseman and our #2 starter. Not a lot of holes to fill. A giant hole but could easily be remedied with what is already on the roster with a few moves and some offseason improvement. I’m preparing for Kat to make a senior year statement like King did her jr year. Saw she is already pitching somewhere out west for summer. I think this team will show up much more prepared next year. Hate to say but a home regional loss might just propel us.
I expect Kat will have yet another great year - just like last year. However, Oklahoma will have 3 top pitchers - once again. We owe it to Kat to surround her with the best - in return for the extra year she is giving us - whether its in the pitching staff, a replacement for third, or arguably a better option in centerfield. Hopes, wishes, and feelings are one thing. But if it's true that Coacha is in Canada while the top players are being pulled out of the portal, personally I am disappointed. Refresh my memory, wasn't she in Canada this time last year getting ready for the Canadian Olympic team while the portal was its most active?

Does anyone have a list of where our players are playing this summer? Returnee's I mean.
You can Google it but a lot are playing in the FGCL.

The Florida Gulf Coast League is a collegiate softball league that takes place in Sarasota, Florida. After two successful seasons, with talent from across the country, it is back for season three, with more teams and more players.

Florida State has five players that have committed to the league for the upcoming season in 2022.

Kaia LoPreste- Sarasota Circus

• LoPreste in 2022: .211 BA / 19 AB / 4 H / 1 2B / 1 RBI / .263 SLG% / 3 BB / 1 SO .318 OBP
Brooke Blankenship- Lakewood Ranch Rodeo

• Blankenship in 2022: .214 BA / 56 AB / 14 R / 12 H / 1 3B / 1 HR / 7 RBI / .304 SLG % / 11 BB / 5 SO / .362 OBP
Chloe Culp- Siesta Key Phinz

• Culp in 2022: .164 BA / 61 AB / 4 R / 10 H / 1 2B / 2 HR / 9 RBI / .279 SLG% / 2 BB / 18 SO / .212 OBP
Hallie Wacaser- Siesta Key Phinz

• Wacaser in 2022: .167 BA / 90 AB / 6 R / 15 H / 3 2B / 1 HR / 8 RBI / .233 SLG% / 10 BB / 12 SO / .257 OBP
Krystina Hartley- Bradenton Lynx

• Hartley in 2022: .200 BA / 10 AB / 6 R / 2 H / 1 2B / 1 RBI / .300 SLG % / 6 SO / .200 OBP

FSU in the FGCL​

In the past two seasons, Mack Leonard, Devyn Flaherty, Kaia LoPreste, and Michaela Edenfield have participated. Former Seminole, Carsyn Gordon, the Head Coach of the Sarasota Circus, lead her team to a FGCL championship title in 2021.

Flaherty discussed her experience with the league, “It’s just like a college level league and it’s just for whoever wants to go (play) from JUCO to division one. Last year it was huge. Our first year it was kind of small. Last year it got a lot bigger and it was really cool. To see some of our freshmen who redshirted last year to get some at bats this summer; girls just come in and want to get their work in, maybe they didn’t play as much last year or they got hurt. It’s an awesome opportunity and I really think it’s doing a lot to grow the game of softball so I’m really excited to see how it grows.”

All games take place at Miss Sarasota Fields, and first games start on Wednesday June 16th.

Last edited:
Just renewed my booster pledge and gave extra to the softball/coaches club. C'mon everyone give a little, or a lot, to the ladies. They can use it.:)
I do not believe this money goes directly to the players. Some are advocating that we have a NIL program (sport specific) so the average fan can contribute to it and then the player can do things like appearances to earn extra $. I believe that is coming in our future.

I expect Kat will have yet another great year - just like last year. However, Oklahoma will have 3 top pitchers - once again. We owe it to Kat to surround her with the best - in return for the extra year she is giving us - whether its in the pitching staff, a replacement for third, or arguably a better option in centerfield. Hopes, wishes, and feelings are one thing. But if it's true that Coacha is in Canada while the top players are being pulled out of the portal, personally I am disappointed. Refresh my memory, wasn't she in Canada this time last year getting ready for the Canadian Olympic team while the portal was its most active?
YES- but I assume she is staying connected with possible player acquisitions. It does not seem like we have 100% focus on the portal for whatever reason.

YES- but I assume she is staying connected with possible player acquisitions. It does not seem like we have 100% focus on the portal for whatever reason.
If I am the Florida head coach, the Oklahoma coach, the Oklahoma State coach, etc, am I going to place the recruitment of a 5 star, difference maker player in the hands of an assistant? In our case, would you rather have Coacha attempting to seal the deal, or have TWill or TCam (who has no experience in recruiting college kids). What could possibly be more important going on at the international level than competing for superstars in the transfer portal for your real job that puts food on the table. Hopefully she isn’t in Canada when we are trying to get commitments from high schoolers each year.

Reactions: FletchCC
I am the Florida head coach, the Oklahoma coach, the Oklahoma State coach, etc, am I going to place the recruitment of a 5 star, difference maker player in the hands of an assistant? In our case, would you rather have Coacha attempting to seal the deal, or have TWill or TCam (who has no experience in recruiting college kids). What could possibly be more important going on at the international level than competing for superstars in the transfer portal for your real job that puts food on the table. Hopefully she isn’t in Canada when we are trying to get commitments from high schoolers each year.
I did see on Social media where she appeared to be at a team Canada type event. If you follow her on Twitter it will show the post here is the link

Lonni Alameda
@Coach_Alameda

I do not believe this money goes directly to the players. Some are advocating that we have a NIL program (sport specific) so the average fan can contribute to it and then the player can do things like appearances to earn extra $. I believe that is coming in our future.

I designated it for the Coaches Club only. As long as it doesn't go to the football team I'm happy with that.

Reactions: SanfordNole
I designated it for the Coaches Club only. As long as it doesn't go to the football team I'm happy with that.
I personally want the money to go to the players. I am exploring how I can contribute to a future Softball NIL type arrangement. The Coaches club is fine-and I do that but we need to be competitive in NIL too.

Just asking because I don't know how these things work, but isn't that the schools job?

You can Google it but a lot are playing in the FGCL.

The Florida Gulf Coast League is a collegiate softball league that takes place in Sarasota, Florida. After two successful seasons, with talent from across the country, it is back for season three, with more teams and more players.

Florida State has five players that have committed to the league for the upcoming season in 2022.

Kaia LoPreste- Sarasota Circus

• LoPreste in 2022: .211 BA / 19 AB / 4 H / 1 2B / 1 RBI / .263 SLG% / 3 BB / 1 SO .318 OBP
Brooke Blankenship- Lakewood Ranch Rodeo

• Blankenship in 2022: .214 BA / 56 AB / 14 R / 12 H / 1 3B / 1 HR / 7 RBI / .304 SLG % / 11 BB / 5 SO / .362 OBP
Chloe Culp- Siesta Key Phinz

• Culp in 2022: .164 BA / 61 AB / 4 R / 10 H / 1 2B / 2 HR / 9 RBI / .279 SLG% / 2 BB / 18 SO / .212 OBP
Hallie Wacaser- Siesta Key Phinz

• Wacaser in 2022: .167 BA / 90 AB / 6 R / 15 H / 3 2B / 1 HR / 8 RBI / .233 SLG% / 10 BB / 12 SO / .257 OBP
Krystina Hartley- Bradenton Lynx

• Hartley in 2022: .200 BA / 10 AB / 6 R / 2 H / 1 2B / 1 RBI / .300 SLG % / 6 SO / .200 OBP

FSU in the FGCL​

In the past two seasons, Mack Leonard, Devyn Flaherty, Kaia LoPreste, and Michaela Edenfield have participated. Former Seminole, Carsyn Gordon, the Head Coach of the Sarasota Circus, lead her team to a FGCL championship title in 2021.

Flaherty discussed her experience with the league, “It’s just like a college level league and it’s just for whoever wants to go (play) from JUCO to division one. Last year it was huge. Our first year it was kind of small. Last year it got a lot bigger and it was really cool. To see some of our freshmen who redshirted last year to get some at bats this summer; girls just come in and want to get their work in, maybe they didn’t play as much last year or they got hurt. It’s an awesome opportunity and I really think it’s doing a lot to grow the game of softball so I’m really excited to see how it grows.”

All games take place at Miss Sarasota Fields, and first games start on Wednesday June 16th.
Yikes

For coaches use. There was a former player who was running an NIL program that benefited all of the softball players on the team. Her name escapes me.

I think it was Caylan Arnold

It is, I have ordered items from her company. Superb service. I ordered the wrong size and emailed the company and asked if they would exchange it for me. Caylan, herself, answered back and assured me they would. Upshot was they got right on it and even paid the shipping back, though I offered to pay it. Top notch in my estimation.

Last edited:
Lexi Kilfoyl plucked from the transfer portal by Oklahoma State. What's the old saying, "If you aren't moving forward, you are losing ground." (or something like that).

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State made great moves in the off season. Good thing we didn't need another high quality pitcher.

Lexi Kilfoyl plucked from the transfer portal by Oklahoma State. What's the old saying, "If you aren't moving forward, you are losing ground." (or something like that).

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State made great moves in the off season. Good thing we didn't need another high quality pitcher.
I echo your frustration. I just don't get it. I know we have some higher quality HS recruits coming over the next 2 years- but we need help now. JMHO

I don't keep up with everyone in the Portal, but I did hope we would pluck both Kilfoyl and Goodnight.
Both would be upgrades at their positions. (To be clear, I'm saying Kilfoyl would be an upgrade for a #2 pitcher)

I don't keep up with everyone in the Portal, but I did hope we would pluck both Kilfoyl and Goodnight.
Both would be upgrades at their positions. (To be clear, I'm saying Kilfoyl would be an upgrade for a #2 pitcher)

I am disappointed in CoachA in that respect. Her apparent lack of enthusiasm along those lines saddens me. We need help to make us a complete team. Other teams are not standing still. CF-3B-P must be addressed for us to stay competitive with the good teams. We could also use an upgrade in her coaching staff. She would do well to recognize/address the fact that losing Syd is a tremendous blow, both from the loss of her physical talents to her leadership qualities.

I don't get it.

Last edited:
Most of those seven losses were bad, bad. The earlier ones should have been both humbling and motivating, but the final two proved otherwise. If improvements are not made, I doubt the team will be top 8. Weaknesses were exposed, and if not addressed, with the loss of Syd will be difficult to overcome. Also alarming is that I have seen little to no interest from portal players to attend FSU. Is Coacha not answering the phone, or is it that no one is calling?

Most of those seven losses were bad, bad. The earlier ones should have been both humbling and motivating, but the final two proved otherwise. If improvements are not made, I doubt the team will be top 8. Weaknesses were exposed, and if not addressed, with the loss of Syd will be difficult to overcome. Also alarming is that I have seen little to no interest from portal players to attend FSU. Is Coacha not answering the phone, or is it that no one is calling?
That's one way to look at the season. We also won a ton of games against great competition. The character (and elite talent) of this team showed up over and over again.

To suggest that Lonni isn't answering her phone or actively trying to improve her roster is ridiculous. I just think we need to keep things in perspective. We are in good hands.

Or, they’re going to teams (except for OU), who are more desperate to fill holes than FSU and thus receiving more promises/scholarship dollars.

So I am assuming the recruits she has recruited are not good.

No, that is not the case by any means. I support her big time. The thing is we all can improve some things in our lives, and that needs improvement. She is ace's with me. I don't send the softball team money because I dislike her.

We need help, I just send my suggestions. Believe me, she won't pay a dimes worth of attention to them.

We have excellent recruits coming in, but not necessarily at those positions. I also suggest she take advantage of the transfer portal, it can be a big help. She has used it in the past.

So I am assuming the recruits she has recruited are not good.
Which recruits. The ones we have now? Most of them (maybe except Ross) have been given multiple opportunities to just take a job (see Mudge for example) and for whatever reason did not.

Are you talking about the 4 coming this year (Frey--(Catcher) , Weisbrook --(SS), Balk --(RP) and Reid --LP) -- All these are highly rated but the 2 position players are not in a current position of immediate need and the 2 Pitchers are likely to red-shirt-- although Reid had a great year and is a lefty.

Or- are you talking about the committed group which will sign in November (there are currently 4 in that category and they all are high rated recruits (Danley the Pitcher is the highest and Beachum is a major masher)

All of the above are future possibilities but we have major needs NOW so many of us are looking to have them filled thru the portal but that is becoming an unrealistic possibility with the fall registration date rapidly approaching.

I personally think Hartley, Blakenship, and Bright who were only freshman can be very good. I guess time will tell.

I personally think Hartley, Blakenship, and Bright who were only freshman can be very good. I guess time will tell.
First, let me say my wife and I received GREAT enjoyment from watching last year's team. We were lucky enough to attend not only the home games but Clearwater, the ACC Tournament and Gainesville. There is nothing greater than leaving those locations as winners.

No one on this board disagrees with the fact that we had a good team with a number of very good players. As the season went on we had only one dependable star pitcher who had to shoulder most of the burden. She is now giving us a fifth year year. Can you imagine where our pitching would be in 22-23 without her fifth year We also lost Syd - who leadership, offense and defense will not be immediately replaced by any one player on this current team. I agree that the three may be very good one day - but based upon last year's performance, it won't be this year.

I won't speak for anyone but myself on this board. What I am trying to say is that other top teams are crushing it in the transfer portal - teams like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State used to fill starting vacancies. Top SEC teams are hitting the portal hard as well. But we don't. Coacha (either purposely or not) is choosing not not integrate the portal with the success of other top tier teams/coaches. Or maybe she does and strikes out. Oklahoma lost one of their "top three starting pitchers" and immediately replaced her with a top pitcher from the portal. Our pitching depth is horrendous. It is viewed as a shame by many of us who want to not only return to, but win, the CWS. A "top" pitcher, a 3rd baseman with Syd's attributes (or even close), as well as a speedy/productive cf would accomplish that. Offensively, believing that the bottom third of the lineup were automatic outs last season, doesn't help. I agree with others who watch and still question the value of our newest assistant coach (who had no softball coaching experience when Coacha brought him on) who lost his third base coaching position mid season for whatever reason. And lastly, despite all our great wins last season, we played and lost to teams at home this season who did not even make the ACC Tournament. We were much better on the road with that team than we were at home - why?

Reactions: cnole1 and FletchCC
Oklahomas #1 pitcher last year was a transfer from North Texas not exactly a powerhouse program so who's to say a very good pitcher from Boston University can't do it at this level also. Again, I guess we will see.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
Coacha does an outstanding job of building a culture and for the most part recruits well!
There has been a noticeable gap in her recruiting of pitchers for the last 3+years.
If the assessments herein are too objective or unkind please forgive me.
The 18 class (18/19 season) was excellent with Sandercock and Herzog both top ranked pitchers.
Unfortunately we lost Herzog or maybe we have another natty.
They also brought in Bianca Cruz who was not highly rated.
They also brought in Bilodeau from Aub who was not a top notch prospect.
In 19 they brought in Emma Wilson (not highly ranked)
Briana Enter (not highly ranked)
Transfer portal brought us Danielle Watson and Caylan Arnold (I would characterize them as good but not great pitching prospects.)
In 20 we added Jeya Prasad from high school (not highly rated) already gone.
in 21 we added Morgan Kendrick from the high school ranks (not highly rated) already transferred.
A transfer was Ali DuBois a grad transfer from Boston university. She had great stats and sat out this past year
for reasons unclear to me. We'll see how she translates from BU to the big time.
22 Makenna Reid from Oregon a good HS pitcher but not highly rated nationally. We'll see
Madi Balk had a 0.67 ERA and over 2 SOs per inning. Again a very good HS pitcher but not rated highly nationally. We'll see.

My point is not to degrade any of the ladies above, b/c to be good enough to pitch at a D1 school makes you a rare athlete.
FSU is a different level and Coacha has not recruited FSU level HS pitchers in 3 years. This year is undecided, but the rankings make you wonder. Her transfer pitchers have been pretty good, but other than Hanson (previous conection), they haven't been great.

FSU deserves great. IMO Kilfoyl would have been an upgrade over recent portal pitchers.
Who knows, maybe DuBois translates to FSU very well, and maybe one of the Freshman is ready for the big time.

It is fair to criticize Coacha's recent efforts at recruiting pitchers!

You may be right- and I would put Ross in that group --I liken (maybe unfairly) all recruits to Mudge . She was an underclass player --but when given the opportunity she just took the job.

Reactions: benzynole
Coacha does an outstanding job of building a culture and for the most part recruits well!
There has been a noticeable gap in her recruiting of pitchers for the last 3+years.
If the assessments herein are too objective or unkind please forgive me.
The 18 class (18/19 season) was excellent with Sandercock and Herzog both top ranked pitchers.
Unfortunately we lost Herzog or maybe we have another natty.
They also brought in Bianca Cruz who was not highly rated.
They also brought in Bilodeau from Aub who was not a top notch prospect.
In 19 they brought in Emma Wilson (not highly ranked)
Briana Enter (not highly ranked)
Transfer portal brought us Danielle Watson and Caylan Arnold (I would characterize them as good but not great pitching prospects.)
In 20 we added Jeya Prasad from high school (not highly rated) already gone.
in 21 we added Morgan Kendrick from the high school ranks (not highly rated) already transferred.
A transfer was Ali DuBois a grad transfer from Boston university. She had great stats and sat out this past year
for reasons unclear to me. We'll see how she translates from BU to the big time.
22 Makenna Reid from Oregon a good HS pitcher but not highly rated nationally. We'll see
Madi Balk had a 0.67 ERA and over 2 SOs per inning. Again a very good HS pitcher but not rated highly nationally. We'll see.

My point is not to degrade any of the ladies above, b/c to be good enough to pitch at a D1 school makes you a rare athlete.
FSU is a different level and Coacha has not recruited FSU level HS pitchers in 3 years. This year is undecided, but the rankings make you wonder. Her transfer pitchers have been pretty good, but other than Hanson (previous conection), they haven't been great.

FSU deserves great. IMO Kilfoyl would have been an upgrade over recent portal pitchers.
Who knows, maybe DuBois translates to FSU very well, and maybe one of the Freshman is ready for the big time.

It is fair to criticize Coacha's recent efforts at recruiting pitchers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT