ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward and Tennessee St intersection

Drove past one of the old entrances to the sinks last week on our way to Shell Point and it’s part of the Apalachicola National Forest.

Reactions: billanole
Drove past one of the old entrances to the sinks last week on our way to Shell Point and it’s part of the Apalachicola National Forest.
Ahh, that’s right. I just edited a prior post wondering if it was St. Joe Paper land prior to becoming state property.
Another great spot was the River Sinks, further South on 319 and off to the left. That ground was owned by the Miller (?) family whose property down at the coast became an important training camp for amphibious troops, including the men of D Day. https://www.visitflorida.com/travel-ideas/articles/carrabelle-camp-gordon-johnston-wwii/

Reactions: goldmom
Shumann missed the 1976 year at FSU due to his injury. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Shumann

I had moved away from Tally before Big Dismal became part of the Leon Sinks Geological area. I had always assumed the landowner and the state struck a deal. That was possibly St. Joe Paper property… https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/florida/recarea/?recid=83619
Maybe that was for the best, as people were always trashing the sinkholes. Spending the day going from sink to sink was always a blast. We would sometimes stop for all you can eat fried chicken at Tuckers just south of the Fairgrounds.
Tuckers waitress: "You boys wawnt the cheeken?"

All you could eat fried chicken biscuits sweet tea and black eyed peas for under $5. You had to get there before 6:00 p.m. though or the chicken was refried.

And Sonny's had all you can eat barbecue chicken, garlic bread, sweet tea and baked beans for $5.

That was often the only meal I ate on Sunday because I was a starving college student and the fraternity did not serve meals on the weekend.

"You boys wawnt the cheeken?"

All you could eat fried chicken biscuits sweet tea and black eyed peas for under $5. You had to get there before 6:00 p.m. though or the chicken was refried.

And Sonny's had all you can eat barbecue chicken, garlic bread, sweet tea and baked beans for $5.

That was off and the only meal I ate on Sunday because I was a starving college student and the fraternity did not serve meals on the weekend.
Classic joint. Juke box on every table, or do I have them confused with somewhere else?

I don’t remember if I posted about it on here or a thread on HROT, but I am very familiar with that ditch. When I was there, it was an open ditch from Dewey (about a block north of the McDonalds at the corner of Tennessee and Dewey. It ran between Degraff Hall and the ATO house- we referred to it as the Moat. It was about 20 feet deep, and probably 20 yards wide. We had a little platform at the back of the house & would drink brew & shoot at the rats with pellet guns.
Right near Tennessee Street, it went into a concrete culvert that went under campus & popped out near where the band practice field, Theta Chi house, and a few other frat houses. A few times a semester, we would get hammered & hike through it - it was h probably 10 feet high and about the same width.
The things a drunk college kid will do for entertainment….

I don’t remember if I posted about it on here or a thread on HROT, but I am very familiar with that ditch. When I was there, it was an open ditch from Dewey (about a block north of the McDonalds at the corner of Tennessee and Dewey. It ran between Degraff Hall and the ATO house- we referred to it as the Moat. It was about 20 feet deep, and probably 20 yards wide. We had a little platform at the back of the house & would drink brew & shoot at the rats with pellet guns.
Right near Tennessee Street, it went into a concrete culvert that went under campus & popped out near where the band practice field, Theta Chi house, and a few other frat houses. A few times a semester, we would get hammered & hike through it - it was h probably 10 feet high and about the same width.
The things a drunk college kid will do for entertainment….
When I was a kid, there was some version of a golf course along the ditch and it was used for game day parking. We walked across a rickety bridge to get to the stadium.
During one bad storm, a kid was apparently gathering stray golf balls and got swept away in the storm runoff. He went into the culvert and his body was recovered way down stream…
Sucked.

I remember that ditch…wasn’t it right behind the Pike house? Also weren’t the delta tau delta house there as well…maybe some others?
I was in SAE when I was there early ‘80’s

When I was a kid, there was some version of a golf course along the ditch and it was used for game day parking. We walked across a rickety bridge to get to the stadium.
During one bad storm, a kid was apparently gathering stray golf balls and got swept away in the storm runoff. He went into the culvert and his body was recovered way down stream…
Sucked.
When I was at FSU there was a student swept away at the beginning of the ditch up by Frenchtown when the remnants of TS Allison came through. We had like 10 inches of rain or something crazy like that over 2 days. They’ve since covered that area.

When I was at FSU there was a student swept away at the beginning of the ditch up by Frenchtown when the remnants of TS Allison came through. We had like 10 inches of rain or something crazy like that over 2 days. They’ve since covered that area.

It would turn into a raging river for an hour or so after a typical afternoon downpour. After the one hurricane/TS when I was there it was world-class whitewater rapids.

ADVERTISEMENT