ADVERTISEMENT

WOW Airlines deals

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
LAX or SFO to several cities in Europe for under $100. Looked a roundtrip to Edinburgh in March...$899.00 roundtrip for two tix (including taxes). I presume there are a lot of add on fares...but not a bad price at all.

LAX or SFO to several cities in Europe for under $100. Looked a roundtrip to Edinburgh in March...$899.00 roundtrip for two tix (including taxes). I presume there are a lot of add on fares...but not a bad price at all.

NYC to several cities in Europe one way for $69. Getting back is more costly but it still works out to about $260-280 round trip as long as you're willing to travel very light and be ridiculously uncomfortable and fly in and out of smaller airports rather than the main hubs.

NYC to several cities in Europe one way for $69. Getting back is more costly but it still works out to about $260-280 round trip as long as you're willing to travel very light and be ridiculously uncomfortable and fly in and out of smaller airports rather than the main hubs.

For that price, I'd travel with a back pack and buy clothes when I land.

If you haven't done so already, go to seatguru.com and find your plane you'll be flying on. Will tell you all the specs. I suggest this b/c a lot of those ultra low-cost providers have 28" pitches (the room between the seats) whereas your standard 767 or A330 type of plane flown by Delta or American has a 31" pitch. (Google Flights generally has this info as well.)

Hopefully yours won't have that issue, but I wouldn't fly 8-10 hours in a seat that small, God forbid smaller, ever again.

I'm 6'1" and I flew from Atlanta to Paris on an Air France flight that had a 30" pitch. Worst flight of my life. So damn uncomfortable.

Which airports are considered smaller in Europe? I'm considering this offer.

Which airports are considered smaller in Europe? I'm considering this offer.
I know in London, for example, you wouldn't fly to Heathrow or Gatwick, but rather to Luton, or another small one that I can't recall at the moment. No idea where Luton is, just know it's not one of the biggies.

They start here (Pittsburgh) in June. We're thinking about checking out Reykjavik, just for the hell of it.

Google map says its about 35 miles north of London. Not awful.
Actually I just went to WOW's site and it appears they DO fly to LGW (Gatwick). That's excellent b/c both Gatwick and Heathrow have direct train service into London. I don't think those other smaller airports do.

Paris flies into Charles de Gaulle (CDG), Amsterdam's Schiphol (AMS), and Barcelona's El Prat (BCN)...all of the biggies.

Looks like WOW doesn't get the same treatment as the RyanAir's of the world.

I checked it out. Miami to Paris first week of June two people $757 round trip. That is unreal. Fly through Reykjavik.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Business or pleasure your trip to Edinburgh?

I checked it out. Miami to Paris first week of June two people $757 round trip. That is unreal. Fly through Reykjavik.

I looked them up on the seatguru. For their A 331 flights from the east coast to Europe, the seat pitch is 31" and width is 17". There is power supply (110W) between each seat. One free small carry-on and a small personal item. And f you wanted to do an extend layover in Iceland on the way to Paris, there isn't an extra charge.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Business or pleasure your trip to Edinburgh?

Pleasure. I have never been to Europe. Thought about doing a week bumping around the island. But looking at deals in Iceland...some really good airbnb deals in the city as well as cabins in the country.

Reactions: RTM58
I looked them up on the seatguru. For their A 331 flights from the east coast to Europe, the seat pitch is 31" and width is 17". There is power supply (110W) between each seat. One free small carry-on and a small personal item. And f you wanted to do an extend layover in Iceland on the way to Paris, there isn't an extra charge.
Sounds like you're golden!

Pleasure. I have never been to Europe. Thought about doing a week bumping around the island. But looking at deals in Iceland...some really good airbnb deals in the city as well as cabins in the country.

I have to say I loved Scotland in general and Edinburgh in particular. I did that as part of a two week trip where I flew into London spent a day there doing some touristy stuff like the Tower and Brit Museum then took the Chunnel over to Paris for three days then took the Chunnel back to London and immediately hopped on the high speed Flying Scotsman to Edinburgh where I rented a car. Spent a couple of days in Scotland and then spent about 4 days in Wales before heading back to London to fly back.

Wales was nice enough but you did get tired of seeing giant castle after giant castle so I don't feel the need to go back. London was underwhelming honestly, like a %*^*er NYC with far worse food. I did think that the West End performances were better in quality than the Broadway plays I've seen but the Brit wasn't as nice as either the Met, the Louvre or the Orsay so it's only impressive if you've never been to a world class Museum. The rest of London...meh, I liked places like Philly and San Fran better. Paris was absolutely amazing, five stars all around except for the constant gypsey scams/attempted theft in tourist areas. But Scotland was great. Oddly enough I found the food FAR better in Edinburgh than in London and it's by far a nicer looking city.

Morale of the story is I would go back to Scotland and Paris in a heartbeat. London, England and Wales...not until I've hit up a LOT of other places would I do a do-over. Sure the West End was great but it wasn't THAT much better than Broadway and NYC >>>>> London for everything else.

In the interest of equal time, I'll say that I've been to London 4x and have plans to go back many more times in my life. It's a spectacular city. Very welcoming. Go into any pub and tell them you're an American. They'll scoff and tease a bit, especially now that Trump's been elected, but they'll want to talk to you all night. Generally friendly people, even if they're not necessarily overly outgoing. Excellent ethnic food options in every neighborhood. Incredible (all free) museums. Excellent, easily navigable public transportation. I can't say enough great things about it.

By the same token, I went to Paris once, for 3 days, and would never visit again. Dirty, filthy, graffiti-ridden, most mean-spirited global city I've ever been to. Zero redemptive quality. Horrible public transport. I wouldn't go back if you gave me a free plane ticket and €500 spending money. This is a very popular sentiment among travelers by the way. Paris tends to be a surprisingly disappointing/underwhelming destination for many who go abroad, espcially first-time travelers. Then there are many who love it like Tribe (and I don't doubt his sincerity).

Different strokes...

Oh and I cannot stress enough how awesome it is to stay at Dalhousie Castle just outside of Edinburgh. It is very pricey (I want to say I spent somewhere between $500-600 a night) BUT that included an amazing five star dinner (better than any I had on the two week trip including Michelin starred places in Paris and London) in the dungeon and a five star breakfast in an all glass sunroom that was also the best of the trip. Plus for a relatively modest fee we had falconry lessons and went on a hunt with falcons and hawks from the onsite mews. We stayed in the main tower bedroom that Mary Queen of Scots stayed in for a time and were treated by the staff like actual royalty. And as a huge bonus there's a secret room off the library accessible via a door hidden in the library racks that serves as a full service bar. If you go to Edinburgh this is absolutely a must do.

http://dalhousiecastle.co.uk/

21944919.jpg

Dalhousie_Castle_0543.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

dalhousie-castle-hotel-edinburgh_151220141036449100.jpg

215055119.JPEG

2d52ac1b54290ebd85fd374c9d2a4270

085_85.JPG

I also highly recommend eating and drinking at the Arcade Bar Haggis and Whiskey House for a relatively cheap but awesome meal. Trust me you'll love haggis after staying here. Get the Diana style haggis and if there's two of you one of you should get their fish and chips. It's also a good place to get a full Scottish breakfast in one pan (back bacon, black pudding, beef banger, beans, pan roasted mushrooms and tomato, eggs and toast).

http://www.arcadepub.co.uk/

princess-diana-s-haggis.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

Also make sure you do a ghost tour in Edinburgh. They're lame%*% wastes of time in other cities but in Edinburgh it's amazing.

Last edited:
In the interest of equal time, I'll say that I've been to London 4x and have plans to go back many more times in my life. It's a spectacular city. Very welcoming. Go into any pub and tell them you're an American. They'll scoff and tease a bit, especially now that Trump's been elected, but they'll want to talk to you all night. Generally friendly people, even if they're not necessarily overly outgoing. Excellent ethnic food options in every neighborhood. Incredible (all free) museums. Excellent, easily navigable public transportation. I can't say enough great things about it.

By the same token, I went to Paris once, for 3 days, and would never visit again. Dirty, filthy, graffiti-ridden, most mean-spirited global city I've ever been to. Zero redemptive quality. Horrible public transport. I wouldn't go back if you gave me a free plane ticket and €500 spending money. This is a very popular sentiment among travelers by the way. Paris tends to be a surprisingly disappointing/underwhelming destination for many who go abroad, espcially first-time travelers. Then there are many who love it like Tribe (and I don't doubt his sincerity).

Different strokes...
I went to Europe for the first time a couple summers ago and loved both cities. Honestly not sure which I preferred, they were both amazing in my mind.

I don't think I would have to tell them. I assume after speaking a few words, they'll know. :)
Actually a sort of funny/quasi-– embarrassing thing happened to me once when I was in a pub. Being a good boy from the south, I said yes ma'am and no sir and please and thank you, etc. The bartender asked me, "are you Canadian? You're so polite."

D'oh!

To me, London is easier and Paris is prettier. The people in London seem more accommodating and genuinely like Americans. (Or they're too polite to say otherwise). A lot has to do with the common language.

Paris is harder to get to know and make your way around but there's just something special about the city.

No question that both cities are major, multicultural hubs, just like most of the other major European cities.

To me, London is easier and Paris is prettier. The people in London seem more accommodating and genuinely like Americans. (Or they're too polite to say otherwise). A lot has to do with the common language.

Paris is harder to get to know and make your way around but there's just something special about the city.

No question that both cities are major, multicultural hubs, just like most of the other major European cities.

Well perhaps it's because I can speak high school level French and the Parisians like tourists who try but I found the Parisians far more friendly than any of the non-Canadian and non-Kiwi city I've been to. Certainly far more friendly than the locals in most tourist destination cities that have to put up with idiots from everywhere. The museums in Paris blow away the London museums it's not even close. Even the Orangerie and Museé Rodin which are probably the fifth and sixth best museums in Paris are as enjoyable as the British Museums London's top of the line museum. And the food is amazing once you get away from tacky tourist areas and avoid chains (although as a note within walking distance of tourist spots it can be hard to find actual French food, there's a ton of German, Italian and American restaurants in the tourist spots). London's restaurants were pricier than their NYC equivalents and nowhere as good, I got some of the worst steak I've had anywhere at one of their famous high end places, subTallahassee level at ten times the price.

But I would read up on the gypsey tricks and scams before going. They are omnipresent at the tourist spots and you will be inundated with cute young women begging for money for special needs schools or wounded veterans and dudes asking if they've found your ring.

Well perhaps it's because I can speak high school level French and the Parisians like tourists who try but I found the Parisians far more friendly than any of the non-Canadian and non-Kiwi city I've been to. Certainly far more friendly than the locals in most tourist destination cities that have to put up with idiots from everywhere. The museums in Paris blow away the London museums it's not even close. Even the Orangerie and Museé Rodin which are probably the fifth and sixth best museums in Paris are as enjoyable as the British Museums London's top of the line museum. And the food is amazing once you get away from tacky tourist areas and avoid chains (although as a note within walking distance of tourist spots it can be hard to find actual French food, there's a ton of German, Italian and American restaurants in the tourist spots). London's restaurants were pricier than their NYC equivalents and nowhere as good, I got some of the worst steak I've had anywhere at one of their famous high end places, subTallahassee level at ten times the price.

But I would read up on the gypsey tricks and scams before going. They are omnipresent at the tourist spots and you will be inundated with cute young women begging for money for special needs schools or wounded veterans and dudes asking if they've found your ring.

I can teach them the famous New Orleans "I bet you I know where you got 'dem shoes" scam.

Seriously..."that guy" is on every street in New Orleans!

Yes! And I'll say I got them on my feet, then he will say, I know what state you got them in, I go, I got them in Louisiana and it seems like the answers change every time I go over there. Always fun.

If you haven't done so already, go to seatguru.com and find your plane you'll be flying on. Will tell you all the specs. I suggest this b/c a lot of those ultra low-cost providers have 28" pitches (the room between the seats) whereas your standard 767 or A330 type of plane flown by Delta or American has a 31" pitch. (Google Flights generally has this info as well.)

Hopefully yours won't have that issue, but I wouldn't fly 8-10 hours in a seat that small, God forbid smaller, ever again.

I'm 6'1" and I flew from Atlanta to Paris on an Air France flight that had a 30" pitch. Worst flight of my life. So damn uncomfortable.
I doubt they care about comfort if they are willing to pay 300 round trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT