ADVERTISEMENT

X-Files

SoddyNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 9, 2009
Did anyone watch it last night? I don't know if they could have done a worse job with the acting, script, story line ect ect. I kept thinking are they even trying? I will give it one more shot tonight.

Did anyone watch it last night? I don't know if they could have done a worse job with the acting, script, story line ect ect. I kept thinking are they even trying? I will give it one more shot tonight.
Yep thought if was a pretty weak start hopefully it gets better.

I think they tried to rush and squeeze as much stuff as they could into 1 hour. Only having 6 episodes will do that. Don't like the Joel McHale character. And I have a hard time believing that Skinner is still in the same job plugging along.

But I still love it and am looking forward to the next 5 episodes.

Reactions: peezy28
I think they tried to rush and squeeze as much stuff as they could into 1 hour. Only having 6 episodes will do that. Don't like the Joel McHale character. And I have a hard time believing that Skinner is still in the same job plugging along.

But I still love it and am looking forward to the next 5 episodes.
Good points all the set up made it choppy.

Some people just live to complain and wallow in misery. As opposed to half empty people you should open a window and feel some sunshine. Then "choppy" would be tightly edited, "rushed" would be fast paced, etc...

I thought it was a great return for the XFiles and on par with the best seasons (2-4) of the series and much better than the poorly financed season 1 or listless last couple of seasons.

Reactions: FSUSarah
I love the X Files and was glad to see it return. I never really cared for the on going alien conspiracy but loved the stand alone serial killer or urban legend episodes. I hope they can squeeze one of those in the next 5 episodes.

I love the X Files and was glad to see it return. I never really cared for the on going alien conspiracy but loved the stand alone serial killer or urban legend episodes. I hope they can squeeze one of those in the next 5 episodes.

It's six episodes total, 3 standalones I believe with the early reviews being that the third episode of the series is amazing and on par with the absolute best episodes of X-Files. It's called Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster and is in the style of their "comedy" episodes. It's got the quirky humor, warmth and real horror of the best X-Files episodes per the reviewers.

Looking forward to the Episode 2 tonight. I never watched the original series so except for the first movie it's all new to me.

Exactly how I feel about the series. The stand alone series were so good. It always reminded me of the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker series reruns I watched as a kid.

Exactly how I feel about the series. The stand alone series were so good. It always reminded me of the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker series reruns I watched as a kid.

Do NOT try to rewatch Kolchak. I bought some DVDs for next to nothing for the series and even if it was a penny I would want my money back. It does not stand the test of time. It's a cool idea that should have been successfully revamped but the execution....should commence it was awful and deserves death.

When I went back to marathon XFILes I found that the first season is ALMOST unwatchable as well. Just low budget and horribly hokey production plus the actors hadn't nailed down the characters yet. Fortunately seasons 2-4 and parts of 5 still do hold up.

Now if you want to see a Kolchak/XFILes clone the closest we've come to a successful one is Fringe although Threshold is worth a watch on Netflix if it's still there.

I feel you OP. Some of the scenes were really poorly acted. Thinking of the one where Scully went out to Mulder's house and they're on the porch. For a couple of decent actors that was some crap acting. Should have been reshot.
As far as the story-line goes, it seems to contradict the X-files movie (which they were showing again this weekend) if Mudler is right about it all being a con. Or does he forget the enormous UFO filled with aliens he saw fly off at the end of that film?

So by the end they will have found their son I'm hoping.

The quote fro next weeks episode made me laugh...Mulder, the Internet is no place for you! Hahaha

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Do NOT try to rewatch Kolchak. I bought some DVDs for next to nothing for the series and even if it was a penny I would want my money back. It does not stand the test of time. It's a cool idea that should have been successfully revamped but the execution....should commence it was awful and deserves death.

When I went back to marathon XFILes I found that the first season is ALMOST unwatchable as well. Just low budget and horribly hokey production plus the actors hadn't nailed down the characters yet. Fortunately seasons 2-4 and parts of 5 still do hold up.

Now if you want to see a Kolchak/XFILes clone the closest we've come to a successful one is Fringe although Threshold is worth a watch on Netflix if it's still there.
4tnQMd.jpg

Peter Drinklage was Threshold's only redeeming quality.

I loved it and will enjoy it while it lasts. I like the alien conspiracy episodes and can't wait to see how this wraps up. Boy, the CSM must be part super solider. Hope they explain how he survived a missile to the face.

As far as the story-line goes, it seems to contradict the X-files movie (which they were showing again this weekend) if Mudler is right about it all being a con. Or does he forget the enormous UFO filled with aliens he saw fly off at the end of that film?
Since the government/Illuminati are using alien tech as part of their ruse, it isn't all a con and confirms that aliens have been coming here. So, some of our hero's alien encounters could be outside of the master plan, along the lines of the standalone monster of the week episodes. Haven't seen the movie in a while, so I don't doubt that there are some contradictions though.

Since the government/Illuminati are using alien tech as part of their ruse, it isn't all a con and confirms that aliens have been coming here. So, some of our hero's alien encounters could be outside of the master plan, along the lines of the standalone monster of the week episodes. Haven't seen the movie in a while, so I don't doubt that there are some contradictions though.

Well the Lone Gunmen are supposed to be coming back so their deaths must be in the process of retconning as well.

X had a strong debut Sunday night with 16 million viewers and had 9.6 million viewers on its regular time slot on Mobday. X averaged 9.1 million viewers during its final season and the 9.6 last night was higher than every episode of Gotham which normally airs at that time slot. Maybe we will get another season.

I liked it but like others in this thread I felt like it was rushed along due to time constraints.

Resurrecting this thread due to 5 shows into this season. What do you think so far? I have found it very entertaining so far and the Lizard man episode was hilarious. To me they have captured the glory days of this show. Looking forward to the finale and hope they continue in the future.

Resurrecting this thread due to 5 shows into this season. What do you think so far? I have found it very entertaining so far and the Lizard man episode was hilarious. To me they have captured the glory days of this show. Looking forward to the finale and hope they continue in the future.
I have enjoyed it I don't think they have recaptured the magic completely. It seems a little rushed at times 8 or 10 episodes probably would have been better.

Absolutely loved the new season, it's as good as seasons 2-4 when it was in its prime.

And the Were-Lizard episode may have been the best episode of all time. Just absolutely hilarious and actually pretty deep when it describes the modern American human condition warts and all.

"Guy Mann/Werelizard: "Because I gained the one Darwinian advantage humans have on other animals: the ability to BS my way through anything."

You think the younger versions of Scully and Mulder signal a way they might continue the series?

Reactions: peezy28
You think the younger versions of Scully and Mulder signal a way they might continue the series?

No it was too on the nose. It was basically an episode showing how the older versions of themselves could still work with the Season 1 version of their partners. I'm guessing one or more of the nubes may die in the next episode.

I have enjoyed it. But thought this latest episode was a little heavy handed with the current anti Muslim issues. But I was happy to see The Lone Gunmen again!

As much as I love Xfiles, I don't want it continued if Mulder and Scully aren't the leads. They tried it once, and it didn't work.

The finale needs to be longer than a hour, but I doubt it will be.

I have enjoyed it. But thought this latest episode was a little heavy handed with the current anti Muslim issues. But I was happy to see The Lone Gunmen again!

As much as I love Xfiles, I don't want it continued if Mulder and Scully aren't the leads. They tried it once, and it didn't work.

The finale needs to be longer than a hour, but I doubt it will be.
Agree

I've enjoyed it and also wish it were more than 6 episodes.

Since I only watched originally from about season 4-5 I have this in my Netflix queue. I will start it right after I finish watching "Fringe" which should take a month or 2.

Finally watched the finale. First instead of "The truth is out there" it read "This is the end".

I actually really liked it. Insane cliffhanger.

I hope they take the Sherlock route and get together every couple years and put some new episodes together. Get a couple mythology and monsters of the weeks.

Finally watched the finale. First instead of "The truth is out there" it read "This is the end".

I actually really liked it. Insane cliffhanger.

I hope they take the Sherlock route and get together every couple years and put some new episodes together. Get a couple mythology and monsters of the weeks.

Well my favorite episode of the season was the Werelizard by a mile. That was a complete 10/10 as good or better than the best of the series. I've actually rewatched it twice in total and the two segments of the Werelizard talking about his introduction to humanity a number of times. Just absolutely fantastic writing. The second best imo was the tag team episode with younger "first season" versions of their partner and how the grizzled version knew best how to work with the younger version. I'd give that one a 9/10. The two weakest episodes imo were the two book ending "mythology" shows. Still good like a 6/10 or maybe 7/10 but they didn't have the "joy" and "fun" of the other episodes.

Well my favorite episode of the season was the Werelizard by a mile. That was a complete 10/10 as good or better than the best of the series. I've actually rewatched it twice in total and the two segments of the Werelizard talking about his introduction to humanity a number of times. Just absolutely fantastic writing. The second best imo was the tag team episode with younger "first season" versions of their partner and how the grizzled version knew best how to work with the younger version. I'd give that one a 9/10. The two weakest episodes imo were the two book ending "mythology" shows. Still good like a 6/10 or maybe 7/10 but they didn't have the "joy" and "fun" of the other episodes.

I agree.

My wife yelled at the TV, "will you stop talking and save him!" when Scully was yappin away as Mulder was dieing.

Cancer man needs to die. It freaks me out watching him put a cig in his Trach hole and smoke. By the way can you speak normally without a voice box with a hole in your trach?

The show exceeded expectations and I hope they continue.

Yeah I said, less talking...More stabbing with needles!

Werelizard was absolutely fantastic!

I thought it was amusing that Fox (the channel not the person) advertised that show Lucifer right as the CSM was standing, looming large in front of his big fireplace, while Mulder was dying on the floor.

The first episode was horrible. The editing made the acting worse. It got better as it went.

I watched them all. They were just bizarre IMO.

Wait a damn minute, that last episode was the finale? WTF?! that was a huge cliffhanger. So, next year we get more episodes, or do we have to wait 10 years?

We have no idea Eric. I think they wanted to see how it was received before committing to anything longer. They both have other stuff going on and the timing has to be right I guess. Hopefully the fans will here one way or another soon.

The ratings were very good for this series and Chris Carter is quoted as saying they will most definitely come back.

Enjoyed it - the closing scene was typical X-files....the only question is when will they re-visit? I hope it's soon - I enjoyed all of the episodes, but agree the lizard one was certainly an instant classic episode of TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT