ADVERTISEMENT

Ya beer snobs make fun of Natty Lite

I'm surprised that anyone drinking Natty Light would have student loans. Or a TV.

You didn't drink the Natty in college. Generally, the year started off with us buying the finest ale like Heineken or Zeigenbock...but as the financial aide dwindled...the quality of the beer fell precipitously. The Natty cases and kegs were usually purchased after the Thanksgiving cash (the case parents gave you after thanksgiving) ran out...

Reactions: cmanole
You didn't drink the Natty in college. Generally, the year started off with us buying the finest ale like Heineken or Zeigenbock...but as the financial aide dwindled...the quality of the beer fell precipitously. The Natty cases and kegs were usually purchased after the Thanksgiving cash (the case parents gave you after thanksgiving) ran out...
I am familiar with Zeigenbock! I mostly drank malt liquor in college. It was cheaper than Natty Light, and much more potent.

hamms-6-pack1.jpg

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Yep. When Natty Lite was on sale anywhere, everyone ran to get it as quickly as possible. If you had some extra cash laying around and wanted the good stuff, then Bud Light was the way to go.

Growing up, my dad drove a beer truck for a while. As such I had one of these Hamm's beach towel ponchos when I was a kid

Fun job. Had all those freebies too. I did it in between jobs for about a year after I first got married. Have never been in better shape than I was when I left that job...

I remember back late 90s Tally beer prices for 12 packs were like $4 for the beast/busch lites, $5 for the icehouse/red dogs, $7 for bud lites/coors lights. Wanna splurge and get all high falutin? The best you could get were generic imports by todays standards and had to splurge on Heinekens or Guinness for a whopping $5 per 6 pack.

I remember back late 90s Tally beer prices for 12 packs were like $4 for the beast/busch lites, $5 for the icehouse/red dogs, $7 for bud lites/coors lights. Wanna splurge and get all high falutin? The best you could get were generic imports by todays standards and had to splurge on Heinekens or Guinness for a whopping $5 per 6 pack.
Our splurge was on Canadians. Molson, Moosehead, etc.

That was the cheap beer of choice when I was at FSU. Couldn't even venture a guess of how much of that crap beer I guzzled.

Otherwise known as nickle beer. Guaranteed hangover.

Our splurge was on Canadians. Molson, Moosehead, etc.

Damn Canadian firewater...was out with some Canucks in Toronto several years back. Double fisting boilermakers of Molson and Jameson. No bother to tell me hat Canadian beer can be used to strip paint.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Back in the early ‘70s you could buy a 6 pack of Old Milwaukee for $1 at the Little Owl bar in Lake Worth on US 1.
When I worked at the Northwood Mall Publix we had some “strategery” going as to beers. We mopped the floor every night, so everybody put a sixer in the frozen food cooler just before swabbing the decks. When we finished and hit the cash register on the way out, those babies were tooth bustin cold.
A pack of Busch long necks, or Old Milwaukee if that was your choice, went for $1.12. The catch was each bottle had a 3 cent deposit, so you were all in at $1.30.
A cold long neck of almost any swill is welcome after work, and a pack served as a cheap primer for the events to follow.

We all reminisce fondly of course but thank good god almighty that shyte is no longer in the drinking lineup.

I still guzzle cheap beer one weekend a year, when I play in a golf tournament in Daytona Beach. I figure if I'm hanging out n a sketchy area, I should drink like the locals so I fit in with them. Usually smash Old Milwaukee that weekend.

Reactions: LesClaypool
s-l300.jpg

Anyone else drink Brigade while at FSU? We found it at walgreens circa 1994 and it was like $5.99 for a case with a two dollar mail in rebate that we’d actually attempt to redeem.

Awful beer. But super cheap.

Anyone remember “ABC Ale”? It was some private-label swill sold by ABC. Pretty cheap, but pretty horrible.

PBR is popular with hipsters for some reason. It's not bad to drink but hurts coming out.
It's become too mainstream now that everyone has caught on. Hipsters only drink it to be ironic. They've migrated to craft beers.

Keystone Light was our go to cheap beer in college, usually the Tall Boys. About a year ago, I was feeling nostalgic passing through the beer aisle at Publix and picked up some Keystone. Only made it through two sips. Not sure how I drank so much of that garbage.

Ziegenbock and Michelob Amber Bock are one in the same. They just call it Ziegenbock in Texas as a ploy to compete with Shiner.

Hamms is nasty. My wife's family drinks it when we're at their place in Minnesota lake country.

If I remember correctly, kegs of Nat Lite were $29, making them the obvious choice for bladder busts, keg parties, etc. My group of friends were so high brow we'd splurge for the Bud Light Keg at like $50 a keg. If we were feeling really fancy we'd get the Killian's Red for another $5. I thought Icehouse was craft beer in those days.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
If I remember correctly, kegs of Nat Lite were $29, making them the obvious choice for bladder busts, keg parties, etc. My group of friends were so high brow we'd splurge for the Bud Light Keg at like $50 a keg. If we were feeling really fancy we'd get the Killian's Red for another $5. I thought Icehouse was craft beer in those days.

Haha, yeah. Miller promoted both Icehouse and its brother, Red Dog, as being craft/microbrews. Both of 'em are horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT