ADVERTISEMENT

Ya beer snobs make fun of Natty Lite

When I worked at the Northwood Mall Publix we had some “strategery” going as to beers. We mopped the floor every night, so everybody put a sixer in the frozen food cooler just before swabbing the decks. When we finished and hit the cash register on the way out, those babies were tooth bustin cold.
A pack of Busch long necks, or Old Milwaukee if that was your choice, went for $1.12. The catch was each bottle had a 3 cent deposit, so you were all in at $1.30.
A cold long neck of almost any swill is welcome after work, and a pack served as a cheap primer for the events to follow.
I worked at the Publix where the Hobby Lobby currently is and we used to do something similar, mainly the few annual occasions when we had to strip the floors. We would end up in the parking lot at 3 or 4 in the morning knocking back cold ones and playing football. Good times.

Reactions: billanole
There was no Light/Lite beer when I was there, so it was just Bud, Miller, or Schlitz beer.
I learned to drink beer at Fred’s... both the Dry Dock and Back Door served Schlitz on draft for 35 cents a pour. That was the only beer they served.

7202.jpg

olympia_beer-2253_0.jpg

For the Delts at UWF 87-88, Busch was the normal, staple, Killian's Red or Michelob was a high end treat. There was lots of icehouse, though. At one point, one of them started selling cans with the old pull tops and some guys started buying them for the novelty and to make a chain. That chain soon crisscrossed the living room of our "frat house."

Now I have to confess that when I first arrived I didn't like beer at all. The only kind I had ever liked, even a little, was Miller Lite. So for the first semester or so, I was drinking these. Yep, I was just like Bruce Willis... Bad thing about wine coolers is the headache the next day is so much worse...
th

Anybody ever experience Blatz? Cheep. Hamms, Strohs, Olympia, and so many others have been covered herein... this thread reaches deep into cheep and helps the Locker Room millionaires connect with their roots.

When I was in high school a store would sell 2.99 twelve packs of Milwaukee's Best if you could see over the counter. I'd hate to see Milwaukee's worst

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
Hamms is nasty. My wife's family drinks it when we're at their place in Minnesota lake country.

After a week in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, the guy that picked us up had Hamms on ice in the van. One the best beers of my life.

Boundary Waters? Damn, that's way up past Duluth. I drank one Hamms the first time I went up there. Couldn't stomach another one. Hell, I found Schmidt and Grain Belt to be more enjoyable than Hamms.

Who ever came up with this Light Beer syndrome? Same clown who promotes decaf Joe?

Living in Holland, we could drink Amstel, not Amstel Light. Much better.
I thought the "Light" was just for marketing purposes? I remember reading or being told a long time ago that Amstel was just lower in calories than the average beer, so they didn't have to make a different "light" version. Of course, I could be totally making this up in my head or thinking of a different beer.

Isn't that, by definition, what a "light beer" is?
What I'm saying is in Holland, there is only one beer. The "Light" was just added in the U.S. for marketing purposes, because the original beer already fit the criteria for a light beer. F4Gary is saying there are two separate beers, one "regular" Amstel and Amstel Light. My understanding is they are one in the same and just slap a "Light" sticker on the bottles they export to the U.S.

Living in Holland, we could drink Amstel, not Amstel Light. Much better.
I thought the "Light" was just for marketing purposes? I remember reading or being told a long time ago that Amstel was just lower in calories than the average beer, so they didn't have to make a different "light" version. Of course, I could be totally making this up in my head or thinking of a different beer.

There is also a version called Amstel Bright that used to only be sold in the ABC islands. My wife and I had it in Aruba and Curacao. Supposedly made with desalinized water.

What I'm saying is in Holland, there is only one beer. The "Light" was just added in the U.S. for marketing purposes, because the original beer already fit the criteria for a light beer. F4Gary is saying there are two separate beers, one "regular" Amstel and Amstel Light. My understanding is they are one in the same and just slap a "Light" sticker on the bottles they export to the U.S.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT