ADVERTISEMENT

Youth basketball rules help

wbnolefan

Star Player
Aug 23, 2002
Nole fans I need a little help with some nine and 10-year-old basketball league rules. Just wondering if you guys had kids play in city leagues, wondering about everything from goal height to game lengths, defensive styles allowed, what you did with fouls/foul shots etc. 4v4 or 5v5? I appreciate the help

Nole fans I need a little help with some nine and 10-year-old basketball league rules. Just wondering if you guys had kids play in city leagues, wondering about everything from goal height to game lengths, defensive styles allowed, what you did with fouls/foul shots etc. 4v4 or 5v5? I appreciate the help

My son plays in a 9 and 10 yr old rec league. Off the top of my head -

Goal is 9 ft for 9 and 10 yr olds but we play some games against 10 and 11 yr olds in the neighboring town and they play on a 10 ft goal. The kids seem to prefer the 10 ft goal because that's what they typically practice on and they are fully capable of making baskets.

Games are 4 10 minute quarters and I believe they have a running clock until the last 2 minutes

Defense can be zone or man but no full court press - you can't engage man on man until the ball crosses mid-court

Foul shots are from the regular foul line at this age group

We play 5v5.

Here's a resource - http://jr.nba.com/rules/

Not a fan of the low rims...My nephew played in a league when he was in 5th// 6th grade and there were several kids dunking on a 9 ft. rim. Not to mention most public courts are going to be 10 ft. so if a kid shoots around at a public place then has to play games on a 8 or 9 ft. rim it doesn't do the kid any favors.My kids always played 10 ft. rims. My kids played school ball then AAU afterwards which everything was allowed in it. Some leagues though don't allow pressing,don't allow zone and various other rules. It really just depends on the league. Some leagues that are for 'fun' are more relaxed on things and leagues that are more 'competitive' go by regular rules. I've never seen a 4v4 league btw

Reactions: DMoriarty
Pretty much what Moriarty said. I would add that they typically don't call for fouls by the shooter on free throws, as long as he doesn't just sling it and follow it in for the rebound.

Just snake the rules from here:

xyrabcscvwpvod4exl9a.jpg

I help coach my son's 8U team. We play on an 8.5' goal with a girls size basketball. No guarding outside the 3 point line unless your team is down and then it's only allowed in the last 2 minutes. We play 4 6 minute quarters with normal clock stoppages. The first quarter they will stop the game for things like double dribble and walk but it won't be a turnover. They just explain what not to do. After the first quarter they call all of those things normally. Free throws are from the normal line, but depending on the gym we're at it could be 15' or a little shorter. Some gyms use goals that hang on the front of the 10' rim so it shortens the free throw length a little.

Last year the 10U league used 9' goals but for some reason this year they've gone to 10'. I don't like that for our kids because they'll be jumping from 8.5' to 10'.

Reactions: wbnolefan
I'm old school hoops coach:
- Teach basketball skills & drills, not game prep(plays/sets for full practice)
- No pressing until 12U. No need to turn games into pure chaos
- Man defense & motion offense so kids learn how to actually play the game
- 10 foot rims starting in 10u
- Kids talk to ref and automatic T. Leave NBA stuff at door
- Four 10 min quarters
- 28.5 size ball until 13u

Every league seems to have it's own rules.
From rim height to defense, time outs allowed, etc, there are many variances.
Most use HS rules, with their own exceptions.

I'm old school hoops coach:
- Teach basketball skills & drills, not game prep(plays/sets for full practice)
- No pressing until 12U. No need to turn games into pure chaos
- Man defense & motion offense so kids learn how to actually play the game
- 10 foot rims starting in 10u
- Kids talk to ref and automatic T. Leave NBA stuff at door
- Four 10 min quarters
- 28.5 size ball until 13u

I'm coaching my son's 13/14 team at a local church league. So not super competitive. I have never coached his teams in any sport (except flag football at 5 years old) because I don't have real coach skills, and because I already teach him whatever I know, so me coaching deprives him of what he might learn from another coach. But they literally had nobody to coach if I didn't step in.

The first thing and third thing on your list is the #1 thing I had in mind. It always drove me crazy how much time through the years they were wasting practicing set plays, which never actually worked in a game, and aren't used at any level.

Because of these kids age, I sent out an email to parents before the season to let them know what to expect (in slightly subtler terms).
- The goal of the season if the the kids to have fun, and in my mind fun = playing well, individually and as a team. Winning maybe, but it's really about playing well.
- At this age, the kids are only on this team if they didn't make their middle school teams. At this point, if your kid doesn't have certain skills, we're kind of past the development point. I'm not going to try to teach them to dribble with their left hand, or shoot with proper form, or cross over, to prepare them for "the next level" (there is no next level for these boys, unless they grow to 6'10"). I don't have the coaching chops for it, and we're not going to make that happen in 90 minutes a week with 10 boys.
- We're going to concentrate on defense, pushing the ball on the fast break on every opportunity, and getting up lots of good shots. I want the kids to take good shots at every opportunity, as soon as it's available

We mostly work on drills for passing, shooting, getting open. Mostly it's been getting the kids to absorb the philosophy...get open, get the ball, shoot. Find the open guy so they can shoot. It's amazing with this casual church youth ball, for every kid that's a total ball hog with no conscience, there's five kids that are totally hesitant to shoot the ball, are afraid to miss, and are used to being told to go through a series of screens and ball rotations that are supposed to lead to a shot. F-- that noise. If we can find an open shot off one or two good passes, that's what we want. We fast break like crazy.

It's been a blast so far. They had a pretty elaborate evaluation process to try to create as evenly constructed teams as possible. Either that failed miserably, or I'm a great coach. Out of 10 players, I've got one kid with autism, and nine kids that can seriously play (for kids that can't actually seriously play). I feel like Leonard Hamilton being able to roll out two full lines that can put it on you.

I would feel irresponsible with this approach with younger kids, where they're expected to learn something or "get better", but any kid who has any shot at high school ball is long gone from these leagues by now. Individually all I really try to teach them is how they should be using the skills they do have, i.e. the bigger kids should not be getting the ball under the basket and dribbling AWAY from the rim for a fall away jumper. The kids that have a crossover, when they should be using it and how. That sort of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT