ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube Rabbit Holes

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Do you ever innocently search something on YouTube that leads you down a rabbit hole? I was looking for videos on Pink Floyd's David Gilmour today and ended up watching multiple reaction videos on Comfortably Numb. Probably spent 45 minutes to an hour watching them. I was mostly shocked by the lack of knowledge of these YouTubers on Pink Floyd and the best guitar solo in rock history.

Not trying to take your thread off topic however, music is very subjective. I am not going to debate with you who is the greatest guitarist, or which is the greatest solo of all time. I will share with you who Jimi Hendrix, who knows more about the subject than I do, claimed was the greatest guitarist in the universe. (BTW, I do agree)

Terry Kath has left behind a legacy of brilliant guitar playing with the band Chicago. In the late 1960s the band Chicago did some shows with Jimi Hendrix. The legendary guitar player Jimi Hendrix was blown away by Terry Kath’s guitar playing. When first hearing Terry Kath play, Jimi Hendrix was quoted as saying that he thought Terry Kath played guitar better than he did. It was later on reported that Jimi Hendrix also called Terry Kath the “Best Guitarist in the Universe.”

Fans and critics should positively take note of Jimi Hendrix’s comments about Terry Kath. We are talking about a legend in Hendrix who has been regarded by many as the greatest guitar player of all time, pointing to Chicago’s Terry Kath as being a better player. Was Jimi Hendrix right or was he just inspired by great musicianship? One close listen to Terry Kath’s guitar solo on Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4,” confirms that Hendrix was spot on.

Terry Kath is the greatest guitarist in the universe

Reactions: seminoleed
Not trying to take your thread off topic however, music is very subjective. I am not going to debate with you who is the greatest guitarist, or which is the greatest solo of all time. I will share with you who Jimi Hendrix, who knows more about the subject than I do, claimed was the greatest guitarist in the universe. (BTW, I do agree)

Terry Kath has left behind a legacy of brilliant guitar playing with the band Chicago. In the late 1960s the band Chicago did some shows with Jimi Hendrix. The legendary guitar player Jimi Hendrix was blown away by Terry Kath’s guitar playing. When first hearing Terry Kath play, Jimi Hendrix was quoted as saying that he thought Terry Kath played guitar better than he did. It was later on reported that Jimi Hendrix also called Terry Kath the “Best Guitarist in the Universe.”

Fans and critics should positively take note of Jimi Hendrix’s comments about Terry Kath. We are talking about a legend in Hendrix who has been regarded by many as the greatest guitar player of all time, pointing to Chicago’s Terry Kath as being a better player. Was Jimi Hendrix right or was he just inspired by great musicianship? One close listen to Terry Kath’s guitar solo on Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4,” confirms that Hendrix was spot on.

Indeed!

Don't know about best but this pair is pretty special?

Last edited:
Indeed!

Don't know about best but this pair is pretty special?

Awkward Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Reactions: F4Gary
This just happened to me this morning on the train. I am woman enough to admit that I really to a liking to Taylor Swift, not so much to say I am a Swiftie, but enough to watch her videos while commuting. I feel she is great role model for young and old and definitely has a DILLIGAF attitude, which I love. Today I ended up with Miley Cyrus, and Metallica on Howard Stern singing Nothing Else Matters. Which then lead to Carpool Karaoke with Miley, Britney Spears, then JLo and then more searching until I reached my destination.

The time sure went fast!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Interesting fact.. This was only the third performance in front of a live audience for the new bassist Fami who just turned 21. Despite their greatness, I doubt Jimmy, David, or Terry could have pulled off such a feat with such aplomb or expertise in their third performance in front of a live audience.

Last edited:

Superb guitarist! With apologies when I think of that tune I only remembered the horns. Guess the radio version at the time cut out a majority of Terry's solo work. So what is the meaning of “25 or 6 to 4,” ?

Superb guitarist! With apologies when I think of that tune I only remembered the horns. Guess the radio version at the time cut out a majority of Terry's solo work. So what is the meaning of “25 or 6 to 4,” ?

You must listen to the complete version; it really is amazing. Once when reviewing the song and guitar work, a writer was not going to credit it among the greatest guitar work since there were two guitarists playing the solo. When he learned it was only Terry Kath playing the writer was in disbelief and immediately acknowledged it as the greatest guitar solo of all time.

25 or 6 to 4 refer to the time keyboardist Robert Lamm wrote the song, 3:35 / 3:34 OR 25 or 6 to 4. (Thus the reference to, "Waiting for the break of day")

Interesting fact.. This was only the third performance in front of a live audience for the new bassist Fami who just turned 21. Despite their greatness, I doubt Jimmy, David, or Terry could have pulled off such a feat with such aplomb or expertise in their third performance in front of a live audience.
Its ok. Not really my flavor of ice cream though.

You must listen to the complete version; it really is amazing. Once when reviewing the song and guitar work, a writer was not going to credit it among the greatest guitar work since there were two guitarists playing the solo. When he learned it was only Terry Kath playing the writer was in disbelief and immediately acknowledged it as the greatest guitar solo of all time.

25 or 6 to 4 refer to the time keyboardist Robert Lamm wrote the song, 3:35 / 3:34 OR 25 or 6 to 4. (Thus the reference to, "Waiting for the break of day")
3:35 or 3:34 would be 25 or 26 to 4. ;)

I did and it was an eye opener. After all these years all I heard was the radio version which clearly featured the horn playing.

Speaking of 2 guitarists in over 60 years I have never seen 2 guitarists play so well together than Midori and Miyako of Lovebites. Musically, the group may not be your cup of tea but the talent of the entire group is phenomenal. All are classically trained and have over a 60 song discography which is hard to find a single bad song among all of them.

Rabbit Hole available for 46 of them.

Oh and for the record I am not a die hard heavy metal fan, Played in cover bands from the early 60's until 2000.
From doo wop ,English rock, country, reggae, ,new wave, disco, Southern rock etc. covered just about all genres,

The band teacher at my high school was a huge Chicago fan. When Kath died we had a moment of silence at a band assembly. True story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT