ADVERTISEMENT

2015 LR weight loss/fitness challenge??

DanC, what's your diet like during the week? The easiest way to stop the binging is to incorporate those foods, in moderation.

It's a pain to count calories and measure the majority of my food, but it shows me to be flexible and eat all of the foods I enjoy.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
DanC, what's your diet like during the week? The easiest way to stop the binging is to incorporate those foods, in moderation.

It's a pain to count calories and measure the majority of my food, but it shows me to be flexible and eat all of the foods I enjoy.

Right now it's low carb, no booze. I eat a lot of ground turkey meat and egg beaters during the day and then chicken, fish, or pork loin for dinner with vegetables and salad....a lot of grilled chicken salad as well, which I love. For dessert I do a yogurt every night.

I am completely happy with my diet during the week, never feel like I'm suffering or depriving myself.

Friday night I cut loose a little with 3 beers and had gyro wrap for dinner. Saturday I had pancakes and eggs for breakfast, two pieces of fried chicken for lunch (at the beach), and a filet mignon with new potatoes, steamed squash (w/ butter), and slice of apple pie and ice cream for dessert. I also drank 9 Landshark throughout the whole day. Sunday I skipped breakfast, had two pieces of fried chicken and potato salad for lunch after church, and then I had 6 ribs (with bbq sauce) and one piece of sausage that I smoked for dinner, and potato salad, also had 5 Landshark throughout the whole day. I didn't eat any dessert.

Doing cross fit, low carb probably isn't the beat diet for you. The fact that you're binging on almost entirely carbs in the weekend shows that while you may not "feel" like you're depriving yourself, you really are.

Just off first glance, I'd try and cut your beer consumption down to the 5-7 range for the weekend. I know it's difficult and all, but maybe think like 2 on Friday, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

Also, try to drink water while you're drinking beer so that you don't feel so hungry when you're drinking. You're probably consuming more food because you're getting hungry as you drink spread out throughout the day.

17 beers @ 150 calories/beer = 2,550 calories; 7 beers @ 150 calories/beer = 1,050 calories

So just off the less beer consumption you'll be saving 1,500 calories.

Just off first glance, I'd try and cut your beer consumption down to the 5-7 range for the weekend. I know it's difficult and all, but maybe think like 2 on Friday, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

Also, try to drink water while you're drinking beer so that you don't feel so hungry when you're drinking. You're probably consuming more food because you're getting hungry as you drink spread out throughout the day.

17 beers @ 150 calories/beer = 2,550 calories; 7 beers @ 150 calories/beer = 1,050 calories

So just off the less beer consumption you'll be saving 1,500 calories.

Great feedback....I had 17 beers over the weekend, damn..didn't feel like that much. Cutting back is never fun. I upped my calorie intake this week, but only using good foods to do so (no junk foods or breads/pastas) I did have white rice once this week and yellow rice once. It wasn't a lot, maybe a cup of it. But like someone said earlier. I can't keep going on eating like I was for the rest of my life, it's difficult and not realistic.

So this week was chicken, fish, pork loin, with salad, and some rice. Yogurts for desserts, fruit during the day, egg beaters and turkey meet again (it' actually very good) I would love to lost the weight off my gut and the back rolls...but I would have to go to a new level with diet to do that. Not sure if I'm motivated enough to do right now..or have the time to plan it out and shop for it, that is prolly more of the issue.

Reactions: fsu123187
I'm finally moving in the right direction. Down to 255 from a high of 268 last year. I was around 240 with a 38" waist when I was 40 and was at that weight from probably 35-45. At 45 I got put on some meds that really caused my weight to balloon. I've recently either gotten off them or am now tapering off them and I'm losing weight without even trying. It has given me some incentive to actually start trying again. I went for a long time dieting and exercising and not being able to lose any weight so this is encouraging...

Reactions: DanC78
I have had a good last couple weeks and shed 3lbs when weighing in this morning. I am traveling for work Sun-Wed so hopefully I don't lose the momentum. I have been sticking to my boot camp class three days a week and on Fridays I double up with a TRX class right after.

I think that I lessened the severity of my diet-- not as much salad, and have been much more lax when it comes to carb consumption due to my earlier success.

Been holding steady in the low 220's for a month. Certainly not a bad thing, but I'm going to have to find the will to push through for that final 20 pounds.

Hit a new low of 212 as of this morning. I'm six weeks into The Juggernaut Method training program and Renaissance Periodization's Renaissance Diet. Following their macros my new training have been a big boost in just the last couple of weeks

I'm glad i'm just getting healthier and losing weight... you guys w/ all this power lifting stuff is soo far beyond anything I am even capable of lol.

I can't stop eating like a maniac on the weekends. My working out is going great, my diet Monday through Friday afternoon is decent as well. But by Friday night I slowly start turning to the dark side. By Sunday I'm normally all in...pizza and ice cream with brownies. Killing all my hard work during the weekdays.

I have a new goal of July 1. I want to lose 2 to 3 inches off my waist line. I have back fat right now...needs to be gone. Other than that I feel good about my appearance and the way I feel physically.

Cross-fit has really changed me for the better. I highly recommend for anyone who played sports in high school and gets bored in the gym as an adult. I've gotten a few other people to join gyms in their neighborhoods, men and women. They have all taken to it big time. My niece can't stop thanking me for introducing her. She has lost 15 lbs and is in the best shape of her life after 3 months. She LOVES it and will be doing it for a long time to come.

Try counting your bites, brah. You are probably eating like 50 bites. Drop that to 15-20 per meal.

Lastly, pics of neice? (Provided she's at least 18)

What's everyone's macro split? I try to follow a 35 p/30 f/35 c split, but as long as I hit my protein goal, I'm not as concerned about the fat-carb split.

Workout days I go 228 C/ 198 P/ 76 F.
Rest/conditioning days are 105 C/ 200 P/ 90 F.

I was aiming for hitting protein then just making sure I stayed within 10% of my calories, but since I've started hitting my macros nearly gram for gram my body composition has changed pretty quick

Workout days I go 228 C/ 198 P/ 76 F.
Rest/conditioning days are 105 C/ 200 P/ 90 F.

I was aiming for hitting protein then just making sure I stayed within 10% of my calories, but since I've started hitting my macros nearly gram for gram my body composition has changed pretty quick
Man, that seems like a significant caloric deficit for someone your weight and activity level. I don't think I could do that.

I've been trying to stay around 2,800 calories per day and have dropped about seven pounds since the beginning of the year. I'm currently at 192 and lift 5-6 days a week and do cardio/interval training 4 days a week.

I'm at a 1000 cal deficit on my workout days, and about 325 on my off days. My workouts are geared towards powerlifting so the overall volume isn't as much as someone doing cross fit or a bodybuilding routine. My workouts are very intense weight wise, but I do less than 110-125 total reps for any given workout. My conditioning days consist of 25-30 minutes of hiit circuits

Its not easy but I've only got 6 weeks left on my cut, plus I can still fit a lot of food into 2300 calories. Once I'm done Im moving straight into a 12 week bulk so I'll be upping my calories by over 1500 per day in just a few weeks

Last edited:
Ugh ... I don't want to do this. But ... here goes.

Between 6'2 & 6'3, weighing in at ~235 (I'll weigh myself before lunch). I also have a body fat % device I'll use to keep this updated. Guessing I'm ~24%. (Edit: Weighed in exactly 235 & had a 24.3% BF. At least I know where I stand lol)

Goal by September is to be around 220 & 19% body fat. Shouldn't be that hard considering I'm fat right now and I eat like it. Clean it up, clean it up, clean it up.

I'll re-establish goals come September. If I can do what I need to do to get to my September goals, I'd like to be around 210 & 16% by EOY.

Last edited:
I'm finally moving in the right direction. Down to 255 from a high of 268 last year. I was around 240 with a 38" waist when I was 40 and was at that weight from probably 35-45. At 45 I got put on some meds that really caused my weight to balloon. I've recently either gotten off them or am now tapering off them and I'm losing weight without even trying. It has given me some incentive to actually start trying again. I went for a long time dieting and exercising and not being able to lose any weight so this is encouraging...

I know everyone is different, but how could you be a 38' waist at 240??? My waist is
38' and I'm 5'11 and 206.

I'm 5'11 and 206. I feel gross. I want to get down to 190 by Labor Day.

The way I lose weight is by counting bites. I try not to eat more than 15 bites a meal.

I know everyone is different, but how could you be a 38' waist at 240??? My waist is
38' and I'm 5'11 and 206.

I'm 6'1 212 with a 36' waist. Its all about body composition. Basing your diet around how many bites you take might have something to do with it

I'm 6'1 212 with a 36' waist. Its all about body composition. Basing your diet around how many bites you take might have something to do with it

What's your point? 6'1 and 212 with a 36' waist seems reasonable. Weighing in at 240 and having a 38' waste for a 6 foot tall middle aged man that doesn't work out seems unreasonable to me.

Also, losing weight through counting bites is extremely effective; it's just portion control made simple.

Last edited:
My point is he has 30 lbs on me yet my waist is nearly the same size as his.

Losing weight through counting bites may work for you, but its not an efficient way to change body composition. You said you feel gross @ 206, dropping 16 lbs may make you feel better but unless you're able to efficiently monitor your protein, carb, and fat intake you'll most likely end up looking skinnyfat

Dang, wish I would have clicked on this thread back in Jan.

Been dieting the last two weeks, signficiantly overweight.

6'7, 265, would like to get to 225 at least. Started at 268.

I have been doing the no carb diet like Atkins, I'm the same way Dan78 is, great M-F, weekends is where I crave. Dont have time for the gym, live in the boonies, doing workouts M-F like Jillian Micheals, T25 for cardio, then run/walk for 30 mins after that. Finding it extremly difficult to lose weight, was 235 in November and just balloned over the winter, I ate terrible though.

Dang, wish I would have clicked on this thread back in Jan.

Been dieting the last two weeks, signficiantly overweight.

6'7, 265, would like to get to 225 at least. Started at 268.

I have been doing the no carb diet like Atkins, I'm the same way Dan78 is, great M-F, weekends is where I crave. Dont have time for the gym, live in the boonies, doing workouts M-F like Jillian Micheals, T25 for cardio, then run/walk for 30 mins after that. Finding it extremly difficult to lose weight, was 235 in November and just balloned over the winter, I ate terrible though.
Track your calories and macros. When you start recording everything you eat, you start to become more accountable to yourself. I've dropped about eight pounds since the beginning of the year without any real effort.

I use MyFitnessPal. I'm sure there are others.

Has anyone tried Glucomannan? It's a fiber that's available in pill form. It makes you feel full for a long time.

Has anyone tried Glucomannan? It's a fiber that's available in pill form. It makes you feel full for a long time.

I could use it!

I can't get control of my diet for more than a couple days at time....at best I'll do well Monday through Friday but will go nuts on Sat and Sun..which I had mentioned above. BUt to be honest, I think I'm done trying. The workouts I'm getting at Crossfitt (that's right folks, crossfit, crossfit, crossfit...can't say it enough...love my crossfit!!) but as I was saying, the workouts I'm getting there are satisfying me...I feel great, I don't feel self-conscious when looking at myself...and that is really all that matters. Being ripped like I would prefer to look is just something I may have to let go of at this point in my life.....too much work.

yesterday I had a publix ultimate sub for lunch, spaghetti for dinner, and one pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream right before bed...prolly the worst day of eating during the week that I have had in 6 months.

I could use it!

I can't get control of my diet for more than a couple days at time....at best I'll do well Monday through Friday but will go nuts on Sat and Sun..which I had mentioned above. BUt to be honest, I think I'm done trying. The workouts I'm getting at Crossfitt (that's right folks, crossfit, crossfit, crossfit...can't say it enough...love my crossfit!!) but as I was saying, the workouts I'm getting there are satisfying me...I feel great, I don't feel self-conscious when looking at myself...and that is really all that matters. Being ripped like I would prefer to look is just something I may have to let go of at this point in my life.....too much work.

yesterday I had a publix ultimate sub for lunch, spaghetti for dinner, and one pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream right before bed...prolly the worst day of eating during the week that I have had in 6 months.

Yeah, those Ben & Jerry's pints are brutal. I never buy them because I'll crush entire pint with my hands.

My wife is doing shakeology...I'm going to diet with her, not shakeology, but am going to cut out beer, sweets, fried food, and pastas for a month.

Wish me luck.

My point is he has 30 lbs on me yet my waist is nearly the same size as his.

Losing weight through counting bites may work for you, but its not an efficient way to change body composition. You said you feel gross @ 206, dropping 16 lbs may make you feel better but unless you're able to efficiently monitor your protein, carb, and fat intake you'll most likely end up looking skinnyfat

I obviously have more muscle mass...

6', 250

I'm in. I think I posted on last year's and never went through with it. I lost a ton of weight in the past (low carb), but put most all of it back on over a decade through lack of discipline, a more demanding schedule, and slowing of my metabolism with age.

At 43, it's starting to catch up with me, and I'm ready for a change. I've been slapped in the face on a couple things recently about how out of shape (not just overweight) I am, to the point of getting scary. There were things I could at 30 years old, weighing the same, and having just as a non-active lifestyle, that I can't do now (run a mile, swim 100 yards). I was truly shocked how short I was of being able to do things that I did easily. Some of the other health issues associated with being overweight have started creeping up on me as well.

Goals are to be able to run a 5k, and to pass the Boy Scout swim test required for water activities (if I want to go on certain trips with my son). And then I'll take it from there.

First thing on my agenda is to actually be able to RUN again. I was disappointed in past half-hearted attempts at how much leg pain was being caused, and bailed. I've learned that you have to strengthen your muscles and ligaments and ease into it. So a couple weeks ago I got a gym membership and have been working up from walking, to alternating walking and running. It's going well and making progress. I can't figure it out, but at least so far, it's the first time I'm really looking forward to the workouts.

I've cut out the junk food and sugar and watching the diet pretty closely, avoiding most carbs. Again, a couple weeks in, and feeling good about it.

I'd like to get to 220 and a basic foundation of fitness (which is still overweight obviously), and then get some weight training involved and work slowly down to 200-210. While that might be a few extra pounds, I'm pretty comfortable with that weight if there's some muscle mass and if I'm feeling fit. I don't need to be skinny, just not morbidly obese.

I obviously have more muscle mass...

I did this water chamber thing a couple weeks ago to find out my body fat index, supposed to be the most accurate way to measure. It told me I was 18% fat, which seemed high to me. It measured out at average for my age, but the owner of the tank said his scale was based on athletes, so it was average for athletes ( just had to throw that in there). To be well below average I would have to lose 12lbs (get to 170) while keeping my carbs, fat, and protein intake where it needs to be while working out at an intense level (right now I'm above average, but not by much. I work out 3-5 times a week for an hour). All this translates too.....never gonna happen. Not unless I win the lotto and find 3 to 6 months to dedicate to training....so again, ain't never gonna happen.

Quick something to share. My wife found a killer banana pancake recipe.

two eggs
1 banana
couple sprinkles of cinnamon
mix together (I use my nutri-bullet, but a fork works fine too)
Then cook like a pancake

Holy crap is it good. Taste and looks just like a pancake without all the carbs. Blew me away with how good it was. I eat them all the time now.

I'm a little late to the party but I've been working on it since Feb. I'm 5'10" and started at 219. Boot camp 5-6 times per week and currently at 204 and dropping. Look better (albeit older) than I probably ever have. No real target - just wanted a lifestyle change.

I did this water chamber thing a couple weeks ago to find out my body fat index, supposed to be the most accurate way to measure. It told me I was 18% fat, which seemed high to me. It measured out at average for my age, but the owner of the tank said his scale was based on athletes, so it was average for athletes ( just had to throw that in there). To be well below average I would have to lose 12lbs (get to 170) while keeping my carbs, fat, and protein intake where it needs to be while working out at an intense level (right now I'm above average, but not by much. I work out 3-5 times a week for an hour). All this translates too.....never gonna happen. Not unless I win the lotto and find 3 to 6 months to dedicate to training....so again, ain't never gonna happen.

Quick something to share. My wife found a killer banana pancake recipe.

two eggs
1 banana
couple sprinkles of cinnamon
mix together (I use my nutri-bullet, but a fork works fine too)
Then cook like a pancake

Holy crap is it good. Taste and looks just like a pancake without all the carbs. Blew me away with how good it was. I eat them all the time now.

18% is good. 11-22% is the goal for most people so you're doing well. I was at 34.5% a few weeks back and my goal is to get to that 22% number by the end of the year. I have no idea if that's even possible but I'm going to try...

Reactions: booker20 and DanC78
18% is good. 11-22% is the goal for most people so you're doing well. I was at 34.5% a few weeks back and my goal is to get to that 22% number by the end of the year. I have no idea if that's even possible but I'm going to try...

giphy.gif

6', 250

I'm in. I think I posted on last year's and never went through with it. I lost a ton of weight in the past (low carb), but put most all of it back on over a decade through lack of discipline, a more demanding schedule, and slowing of my metabolism with age.

At 43, it's starting to catch up with me, and I'm ready for a change. I've been slapped in the face on a couple things recently about how out of shape (not just overweight) I am, to the point of getting scary. There were things I could at 30 years old, weighing the same, and having just as a non-active lifestyle, that I can't do now (run a mile, swim 100 yards). I was truly shocked how short I was of being able to do things that I did easily. Some of the other health issues associated with being overweight have started creeping up on me as well.

Goals are to be able to run a 5k, and to pass the Boy Scout swim test required for water activities (if I want to go on certain trips with my son). And then I'll take it from there.

First thing on my agenda is to actually be able to RUN again. I was disappointed in past half-hearted attempts at how much leg pain was being caused, and bailed. I've learned that you have to strengthen your muscles and ligaments and ease into it. So a couple weeks ago I got a gym membership and have been working up from walking, to alternating walking and running. It's going well and making progress. I can't figure it out, but at least so far, it's the first time I'm really looking forward to the workouts.

I've cut out the junk food and sugar and watching the diet pretty closely, avoiding most carbs. Again, a couple weeks in, and feeling good about it.

I'd like to get to 220 and a basic foundation of fitness (which is still overweight obviously), and then get some weight training involved and work slowly down to 200-210. While that might be a few extra pounds, I'm pretty comfortable with that weight if there's some muscle mass and if I'm feeling fit. I don't need to be skinny, just not morbidly obese.

Ok, just an update. Was 238 this morning, down from 250. .

More importantly, the running is picking up better than I'd hoped. Started the first week, walking 30 minutes. The running 1 minute, walking 4, for 30 minutes the second week. I'm now up to walking 1 minute, running 14 minutes. I'm doing it five days a week, and can see running 30 minutes straight on the near horizon.

Today was my off day, but I brought my gym stuff to the office and went to the gym on my lunch break to run a mile anyway. This has been good for me.

Last year I weighed 214 at 6'1 and was rather jiggly. Leaned down to 182 over the course of five months. Started bulking and got back up to 201. Started cutting again and got back down to 178 this time, but when looking at before and after pics I was much more full in the muscles even though I weighed four pounds less. Just started bulking again, but am trying reverse dieting, so we'll see how it goes.
IIFYM is a beautiful thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT