ADVERTISEMENT

2015 LR weight loss/fitness challenge??

I'll join. Clocked in for 2015 at 6'3 240 lbs. I'd like to get down to 215-220 range by the end of the year. Took up sweat therapy here in TLH and will continue running as I did a half marathon last year.

My big issue is diet, and not partaking in Scotch.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What diet is everybody on? I'm on very low carbs right now. Have been in Lipolysis/Ketosis since last Wednesday. Going to keep it going for as long as I can then go full fledged Paleo. And for me that means minimal, next to zero, processed sugar. Sweets are what kill me. After I get to my target weight if I can keep the sweets out of my diet for good I'll have no problem staying fit. I'm active enough and eat good enough most of the time...

I follow a flexible diet. I have specific calorie and macro goals for my lifting, conditioning, and off days. As long as I hit my goal numbers I stay at a small caloric deficit. 80% of my calories come from "clean" while foods, but once I've hit my protein and day goals I generally have room for pop tarts or some ice cream.

It makes it very easy to stay on course, and I never feel like having to have a cheat meal because I'm always eating foods I enjoy in moderation

2,500-3,500 calories per day
1g of protein per pound of body weight
Complex carbs (whole oats, sweet potatoes, quinoa, rice)
Fiber
Healthy fats (almonds, olive oil, avocado)
Lean meats (chicken, fish, a little red meat)
Keep processed foods, sugars, fried foods to a minimum

Originally posted by cmanole:
What diet is everybody on? I'm on very low carbs right now. Have been in Lipolysis/Ketosis since last Wednesday. Going to keep it going for as long as I can then go full fledged Paleo. And for me that means minimal, next to zero, processed sugar. Sweets are what kill me. After I get to my target weight if I can keep the sweets out of my diet for good I'll have no problem staying fit. I'm active enough and eat good enough most of the time...
Not necessarily following a specific diet. Over the past year I've made gradual changes to the foods I eat, while embracing those I really like and are good for the body, too. I've nearly eliminated all processed food, though I do have some bread from time to time. I still don't eat enough green leafys, but knowing this I consciously seek them out. If you defined it, it's close to paleo though not as extreme as grass-fed meats, bean/cheese avoidance.

I'll be following the fundamentals of the Paleo diet as well. Everyone I have spoken with that uses this diet raves about it and says its the best they ever felt and that it's super easy to stick with...doesn't feel like a diet, but more a lifestyle change.

Originally posted by DanC78:

I'll be following the fundamentals of the Paleo diet as well. Everyone I have spoken with that uses this diet raves about it and says its the best they ever felt and that it's super easy to stick with...doesn't feel like a diet, but more a lifestyle change.
Keto but normal caloric intake mixed in with eat stop eat where I don't eat anything for for 24 hour period 1 to 2 times a week.

In. Starting "Body for Life." Currently weighing in at a slender 5'9 and 235lbs. My goal for the next 45 days is to to be under 220 lbs. The goal for the complete 90 days is to be under 205lbs.

I will start the 90 days this Wednesday as I will be going to the store to prepare my food for the week. My challenge will end on April 13th.

5' 11" 257
This post was edited on 1/12 10:09 PM by Rufus11

I'm doing a twice a day green smoothie deal....you should do to. I use a Nutria Bullet to make, if you don't have a Nutria Bullet I highly recommend you get one. They are great to have a very affordable.

First thing in morning I do

Kale/Baby Spinach mix (you get a Publix)
Cayenne Pepper
Lemon juice
One fruit (banana or apple is my choice, I've been told pear is also good )
Water

Post workout I do

1 scope of vanilla protein powder
Kale/Baby Spinach mix
Cayenne Pepper
Unsweetened Almond Milk

I don't know exactly why I'm putting some of the ingredients in there, but I've been told that it helps promote weight loss, healthy skin, muscle mass and other healthy stuff. The one I do first thing in the morning is little tough to get down, the post work out one actually taste pretty good.

I also do protein and water 30 minutes to an hour before a work out.

Dan, I'll ask my wife where she gets her smoothie recipes from. They're all green smoothies but some of the are actually what ordinary not hippies would consider tasty and most are at least tolerable. Only a tiny handful have been bad (mostly those involving peaches or mango as while I love those flavors they're not usually strong enough to cover up the healthier unsavory bit.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:
Dan, I'll ask my wife where she gets her smoothie recipes from. They're all green smoothies but some of the are actually what ordinary not hippies would consider tasty and most are at least tolerable. Only a tiny handful have been bad (mostly those involving peaches or mango as while I love those flavors they're not usually strong enough to cover up the healthier unsavory bit.
Yeah, let me know for sure.

I did find some great recipes online and have been told a few from some people at the gym. My thing is, I don't want to over complicate the process. I want to stick with 4 or 5 ingredients only. No big deal if it's 6 or 7, I just don't want to get in a situation where I have to buy some off the wall ingredient just to make it work.

If that makes sense.

Trying to stick with the, Keep It Simple Stupid methodology.

Here's some.

http://simplegreensmoothies.com

She signed up for their recipe email and gets most of them from there. She made one recently where in addition to the spinach and chia seeds, the principal ingredients were dates and apples and it tasted amazing, like good enough to voluntarily drink diet or not.

A couple of hints we found were 1) anything with peach, mango and apricot were unlikely to be strong enough to overpower the healthy ingredients, 2) if the smoothie is too sour (mainly those heavily on grapefruit or if the oranges aren't sweet), blend it back up with one medjool date and it will be perfect, 3) Nectar roadside lemonade seems to be the flavor and variety that overpowers the smoothies the least, you can add it to any of the others and it doesn't add much off or overpowering flavor. In fact, a little nectar roadside lemonade and some chia seeds are added to almost all of ours, 4) stick to spinach not kale or other greens, it's cheaper and has the least offensive flavor.

I'm doing a twice a day green smoothie deal....you should do to. I use a Nutria Bullet to make, if you don't have a Nutria Bullet I highly recommend you get one. They are great to have a very affordable.

First thing in morning I do

Kale/Baby Spinach mix (you get a Publix)
Cayenne Pepper
Lemon juice
One fruit (banana or apple is my choice, I've been told pear is also good )
Water

Post workout I do

1 scope of vanilla protein powder
Kale/Baby Spinach mix
Cayenne Pepper
Unsweetened Almond Milk

I don't know exactly why I'm putting some of the ingredients in there, but I've been told that it helps promote weight loss, healthy skin, muscle mass and other healthy stuff. The one I do first thing in the morning is little tough to get down, the post work out one actually taste pretty good.

I also do protein and water 30 minutes to an hour before a work out.
I assume the Cayenne pepper is to boost your metabolism.

You should also include caffeine per-workout. It's a stimulant + metabolism booster.

I do a breakfast shake. We use frozen spinach, frozen bananas, white almond milk, chocolate almond milk, and pb2. Just got the vitamix for Christmas and it is awesome. Never thought I would want a blender for Christmas!

I definitely prefer the spinach over the kale and freezing the spinach and bananas makes it where we don't have to add ice that waters it down.

I freeze my fruit...actually, I just buy a big bag of frozen mixed fruit from Sams. I used to buy fresh fruit and then cut and freeze, but the bananas would stick, it was a pain in the arse. Buying it frozen is the way to go, and it's much affordable when you buy at SAMs.

That's all the frozen anything I need in fruit smoothies, the protein will fluff it up. On the green vegetable smoothie, I prefer watery and easy drink. I put them down fast as I can.

Pre workout-4 Ibuprofen and dollop of peanut butter. Works great for me. You will be shocked how much energy PB will give you...and without any crash. I used to take a 5hour Energy, but once it wore it off it felt like I had lost all my powers and workout would be shot.

I haven't had any issues with inflamed shoulders since I started taking the Ibuprofen. It has been a miracle drug for me and my working out. Before I started taking I couldn't do more than handful of pull-ups and other exercises before the inflammation would occur...at that point my whole work out would pretty much be done. Today, I could prolly get by without taking it...matter of fact I have done a few workouts where I forgot and was able o make it without major burns. I worked hard on increasing my mobility and strength in my shoulders, but to be safe, I simply take 4 to 5 before hand...why risk it.

How are we going to keep track of progress? And motivate each other? :) I had a very bad day yesterday and went and had 3 stouts at Brass Tap :-/

Originally posted by NolegirlY2K:
How are we going to keep track of progress? And motivate each other? :) I had a very bad day yesterday and went and had 3 stouts at Brass Tap :-/
Sorry about your day...did you have a large amount of ass holes to deal with??

Ba-doom, pishhh

I'm so funny, but for real. I had 6 craft beers on Saturday and a Sonny's pork sandwich on Sunday. Sometimes it just happens, especially on the weekends...at least for me.

Ba-doom, pishhh

I'm so funny, but for real. I had 6 craft beers on Saturday and a Sonny's pork sandwich on Sunday. Sometimes it just happens, especially on the weekends...at least for me.
Hahaha!! No, just the life of a PhD student really sucks sometimes and when one thing goes wrong it seems like everything does. And if I was still working at the hospital it would have been dealing with a bunch of vagina's! (LD nurse) nursing....The most trusted profession and the most crass.
Anyway, Even though I had 3 beers I still only consumed 1,646 calories and I had run that am and went to the gym, and yesterday I didn't workout but definitely didn't eat enough and only consumed 900 calories. I'm tracking everything on myfitnesspal.......my username is Nole_Nurse00

Reactions: lurker2001

Ba-doom, pishhh

That would have been funny...if you were quoting NoleFan2U
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by OrlandNole:

Ba-doom, pishhh

That would have been funny...if you were quoting NoleFan2U
wink.r191677.gif
lol I don't if would have been at this point.

Have someone enter a simple goal, starting weights, and macros on a spreadsheet. Make weigh ins every couple weeks on same day/time. Email results to "stat keeper", and pin spread sheet.
If people are up to it, include a photo of yourself.
Motivation is as simple as posting vids of best lifts, asking questions and more questions, and positive affirmation from all.

I saw the thread a couple of weeks ago but was curious as to who has had a positive results with any fat burners.

I used the original OxyElite Pro a few years ago. I lost a lot of weight, but it was from the diet and workout I started while using it. It was great preworkout for energy, but as far as "fat burning," that came from the calorie deficit I was in

I will be stepping on the scale Friday. I wasn't about to last week after I traveled to Miami for work and ate nothing but chicharones and empenadas for three days.

I'm still in, down 7 lbs from the start. I'm losing faster than I like so I'm slowly adding calories back in. My goal was to go from 222-223 down to 198-200 over the course of the year while adding 100 lbs to my deadlift and 55 lbs to my squat 1rm

This post was edited on 1/26 5:24 PM by fsu123187

Yay! Updates! I know the feeling about having bad days. I will have a high calorie day followed by a waaaaay to low day. So far it's working but that wasn't my intent. I had about 1:40 min of cardio today 80+ min of running followed by 15-20 min of walking. Ate just under 1700 calories which is very high for me.

Just started last week with a new workout and diet regiment so I'll be waiting to step on the scale for a couple more weeks.

I usually don't see any weight change for at least 3 weeks, but then it's rapid.

Im in, 5'7 180. Started after the Rose Bowl at 188 and down to 180. You all can keep all that dieting, Im with the psoter who mentioned flexible dieting and iifym. One thing Ive learned is there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, just unhealthy quantities. I still eat pizza, burgers, oreos, ice cream etc and have managed to drop weight. Its all about eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight.

Originally posted by 1nole2:
Im in, 5'7 180. Started after the Rose Bowl at 188 and down to 180. You all can keep all that dieting, Im with the psoter who mentioned flexible dieting and iifym. One thing Ive learned is there is no such thing as unhealthy foods, just unhealthy quantities. I still eat pizza, burgers, oreos, ice cream etc and have managed to drop weight. Its all about eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight.
Dropping weight doesn't equal fit or healthy.

Originally posted by OrlandNole:

Dropping weight doesn't equal fit or healthy.
What's your definition of fit and healthy?

This guy gets it. Read up on Alan Aragon as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT