ADVERTISEMENT

COVID booster shot

Is not a substitution for a vaccine, however.

Next month we could all be on a once a month pill that would render all this moot.
At this point nothing would surprise me.

Reactions: SteveT1
It won't be. Vaccines help prevent diseases before you are infected. They know what that treatment can do and it isn't prevention. I'm sure if they thought it was a good candidate for prevention then it would currently be undergoing trials. That would make sense but it isn't happening, at least as far as I know.

Next month we could all be on a once a month pill that would render all this moot.
At this point nothing would surprise me.
As long as it works and is safe. Praying for nothing but positive outcomes for you. The more ways out of this mess the better.

It won't be. Vaccines help prevent diseases before you are infected. They know what that treatment can do and it isn't prevention. I'm sure if they thought it was a good candidate for prevention then it would currently be undergoing trials. That would make sense but it isn't happening, at least as far as I know.
I know. I’ll get the Booster after the approved interim,
But I’m not the only person who’s fed up with the ever evolving “expert” advice.

I know. I’ll get the Booster after the approved interim,
But I’m not the only person who’s fed up with the ever evolving “expert” advice.
I love watching science and policy play out and mesh in real time. Maybe it's just me.

I'll probably get the booster in the first half of next year I just wish the CDC would release a timeline for it.

I love watching science and policy play out and mesh in real time. Maybe it's just me.

I'll probably get the booster in the first half of next year I just wish the CDC would release a timeline for it.
I'm not sold. As of now they don't know if the vaccine wanes or not and how long it lasts. Until they can come out with something concrete or at least believable then I'm going to pass on the booster. There is no timeline because they don't know or haven't made it up yet.

I thought the vaccine helped from being hospitalized or serious infection. Now your saying it prevents it before your infected.

Gottlieb said there are lots of breakthroughs now among the vaccinated especially as you get further away from your first two shots.

Reactions: MagNoleA
we should just all be happy that most treatments are readily available to us in the US. the UK NHS didn't get access to monoclonal antibody treatments until the third week of September and that is limited to hospitalized patients which is an abject waste of time.

here's the latest UK data charted out comparing the portion of unvaccinated cases and deaths to the total cases and deaths experienced during the past three weeks. it has been this way for months though.

uk datatotal casesunvaxxunvaxx %total deathsunvaxxunvaxx %
<18313,716255,75581.5111090.9
18-2984,50326,71431.612975.0
30-39122,36727,45722.4402562.5
40-49154,67115,92010.3914448.4
50-59117,7227,1526.123210244.0
60-6968,1812,7394.054815127.6
70-7934,4551,0673.199115315.4
80+11,8635404.61,75118110.3

the percentage share of cases in the UK vaccinated population continues to exceed the percentage vaccinated in most age groups, especially the most vulnerable age groups. Conversely, although the number of deaths is substantially higher in the vaccinated group the unvaccinated population among the most vulnerable age groups has a greater chance of death by the approximate factors as shown below:

50-59 - 5x
60-69 - 4x
70-79 - 3x
80+ - 2x

I thought the vaccine helped from being hospitalized or serious infection. Now your saying it prevents it before your infected.
Vaccines are highly effective at preventing infection in the months after you get the shot(s), but that begins to wane after the first few months. I saw some data that said by the 6 month mark, we are roughly at flu vaccine efficacy level. Prevention against hospitalization/death/serious illness has not been shown to wane yet.

I was lazy and didn't want to type it all out, but what I meant when I said "prevent" was what I explained above.

Gottlieb said there are lots of breakthroughs now among the vaccinated especially as you get further away from your first two shots.
How are you feeling since the antibody treatment? Most I’ve spoken with felt it sped up recovery, one had a poor reaction but it was short-lived (less than 24 hrs).

Reactions: goldmom
Feeling a lot better, thank you. Smell is coming back a little.
My smell is returning as well. My nostrils were really traumatized a few weeks ago, but finally I'm beginning to smell once again. Its amazing of some of the smells I can pick up now.

I'm most concerned about breakthroughs regarding my toilet paper. Those days of one ply and two ply are long gone. Thank you very much. :)

I'm most concerned about breakthroughs regarding my toilet paper. Those days of one ply and two ply are long gone. Thank you very much. :)
Hopefully they don't manufacture another shortage like last year. Stick to Gatorade or something else we dont use.

CDC directives state people should get a booster after 6 months.

I will be getting my booster pretty soon.

Itll become a yearly thing. Go to the doctor for yearly physical and conveniently get the shot. Easy as that.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
I can't get the Booster for 90 days since I had the Regeneron treatment, but it has an 8 month protection against severe illness.

Reactions: MagNoleA
Not me. Done with the shots. Only did the one for family and they still won’t be around us so we’re done.
Did I read that the in-laws have shunned you since you will not “isolate”? Like you have to live in lock-down if you want to see them?

Sorry, that’s funny to me….wish my in-laws would adopt a similar “rule.”

Itll become a yearly thing. Go to the doctor for yearly physical and conveniently get the shot. Easy as that.
Yep and pay the $400 bucks plus the co pay to cover the shot and all folks without insurance. 400 x 330 or so million every year. Not a bad haul even after everyone gets their cut. Add in all the updates and boosters plus the regular flu shot that will get added into the mix. That's a good mandated income right there.

Did I read that the in-laws have shunned you since you will not “isolate”? Like you have to live in lock-down if you want to see them?

Sorry, that’s funny to me….wish my in-laws would adopt a similar “rule.”
Yes, they are terrified of Covid. They live 5 miles from us. I really like them. Great people. But simply terrified of the virus. First it was they would not see us without vaccine, so I got it for my wife. I loved my parents but was never as close as she is to her mom. This has been awful for her.

But we can't and won't stay home. We have jobs. Lives. And won't lock down.

It is funny in the abstract. It sucks in the concreteness of our actual lives though.

Yes, they are terrified of Covid. They live 5 miles from us. I really like them. Great people. But simply terrified of the virus. First it was they would not see us without vaccine, so I got it for my wife. I loved my parents but was never as close as she is to her mom. This has been awful for her.

But we can't and won't stay home. We have jobs. Lives. And won't lock down.

It is funny in the abstract. It sucks in the concreteness of our actual lives though.
I know a few people like that. Petrified of it. One of them wears a mask outdoors alone and isolates after they go to the grocery store. Its really scary that the media has managed to scare some people into believing this is airborne Ebola and if you come near it you'll hemorrhage from your butt until dead.

I can't get the Booster for 90 days since I had the Regeneron treatment, but it has an 8 month protection against severe illness.
Get that booster ASAP! And report for duty for the coming new year. I heard there is a Booster give away in Tally on Jan 8.

How are you feeling since the antibody treatment? Most I’ve spoken with felt it sped up recovery, one had a poor reaction but it was short-lived (less than 24 hrs).
I’m happy to say that I’m feeling fine. But I am nervous about the Omicron variant since the Regeneron treatment means I cannot get the booster until at least early February.
Am I the only one who is just about fed up with this immunity/booster/variant stuff from Fauci and the CDC?

I’m happy to say that I’m feeling fine. But I am nervous about the Omicron variant since the Regeneron treatment means I cannot get the booster until at least early February.
Am I the only one who is just about fed up with this immunity/booster/variant stuff from Fauci and the CDC?
Why didn't you just get the booster instead?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT