ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN reporter suspended for ripping towing company employee

Originally posted by NoleManDan17:
Originally posted by Semiologist:
Originally posted by DefNotPanHandler2007:

Originally posted by 12Nole:
If you've ever had your car towed in Tallahassee you can understand where she is coming from. Those people are damn sharks. Sucks she got caught on camera but damn did the over weight lady with no teeth behind the glass have the last word by looking her up and releasing the video. Well played.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yea, I'm not even mad. If it was a situation like Tally or New Orleans where it's just an outright scam and cash grab, then I don't think anything she said was wrong. She just got caught.

No reason to be nice to the people that are robbing you.
Where in Tallahassee are they towing cars? I don't live there, and never had my car towed in the twenty years of season tickets.
I'm guessing you haven't lived in Tallahassee in a while. The tow companies in Tallahassee are vultures. Especially with the apartment complexes. I never had my car towed but I know of plenty of horror stories. They'll camp out and wait for someone and have them hooked up in a matter of minutes. I know someone who got towed while running into their own apartment to get a notebook they forgot. Then they'll offer to unhook the car if you pay them half the amount, upfront in cash (which the driver undoubtedly pockets himself). If you have the cash they just go and hook up another car in a matter of minutes. The speculation was that they had a deal with the apartment complexes to restrict the amount of visitor spots. There was never enough visitor parking in Tallahassee.
It wasn't like that when I lived in Tally. And I worked for London Town Apartments. We didn't tow cars until they had been investigated to see if they were abandoned.

She played soccer at Satellite Beach and went to Stetson.

Here is a blog interview she did with Jeff Pearlman who used to work at SI and has written many books.

http://www.jeffpearlman.com/tag/britt-mchenry/

One very interesting statement from McHenry:

"Roses. We're a culture that loves visual stimulation, even if what's beneath the surface stinks."

Originally posted by NoleManDan17:
Originally posted by DefNotPanHandler2007:

Originally posted by 12Nole:
If you've ever had your car towed in Tallahassee you can understand where she is coming from. Those people are damn sharks. Sucks she got caught on camera but damn did the over weight lady with no teeth behind the glass have the last word by looking her up and releasing the video. Well played.
Yea, I'm not even mad. If it was a situation like Tally or New Orleans where it's just an outright scam and cash grab, then I don't think anything she said was wrong. She just got caught.

No reason to be nice to the people that are robbing you.
Where in Tallahassee are they towing cars? I don't live there, and never had my car towed in the twenty years of season tickets.
I'm guessing you haven't lived in Tallahassee in a while. The tow companies in Tallahassee are vultures. Especially with the apartment complexes. I never had my car towed but I know of plenty of horror stories. They'll camp out and wait for someone and have them hooked up in a matter of minutes. I know someone who got towed while running into their own apartment to get a notebook they forgot. Then they'll offer to unhook the car if you pay them half the amount, upfront in cash (which the driver undoubtedly pockets himself). If you have the cash they just go and hook up another car in a matter of minutes. The speculation was that they had a deal with the apartment complexes to restrict the amount of visitor spots. There was never enough visitor parking in Tallahassee.
It wasn't like that when I lived in Tally. And I worked for London Town Apartments. We didn't tow cars until they had been investigated to see if they were abandoned.

Oh it was when I was there.... They towed for being parked on the white line of the parking space even if by a fraction...no warnings, just a tow. They would take at least 5 cars a night.

This was in the Timbers.

Originally posted by F4Gary:
I wonder what she'd look like without the makeup, whitened teeth, fake boobs, and fake blonde hair color.
Probably like the lady who was taking her money.

Originally posted by seminole1992:

Originally posted by SeaPA:

Originally posted by Rhino_nole:

Have no problem with anything she said, & don't think she should've faced any discipline. Towing companies that operate in that part of the towing business are scum, and in all likelihood everything she stated was 100% accurate.
Nah, you don't treat people like that. And you don't treat waiters/waitresses and tow truck companies like that for a few reasons, this big chic didn't tow her car, a driver did and reason number 2, they still have possession of your vehicle and they can do all kinds of shiz to it.

Ole Britt has a degree but it's a degree in journalism, let's pump those breaks. I'm not diminishing a degree in journalism from Northwestern but let's not pretend she went through the rigorous course work to get her degree as a particle physics.

She was also told she was on camera and nary an eff was given, she went into her temper tantrum anyways. Really dumb for someone who's "one TV".
Maybe you've seen a full video of the entire time she was there; only thing I've seen was a selectively edited series of clips of a handful of comments she made. There was nothing showing anything said by the fat toothless assistant-to-the-extortionist, and nothing showing the general tone of what was going on and why tv chick was so confrontational. In my couple of dealings with towthieves, I'm inclined to assume that the people at the tow company likely treated her shabbily.
Sad you have this opinion.
IMO it's sad that anyone could develop any strong opinion on this based solely on the video that I saw - a collection of clips of the tv girl's comments. You have no context at all with which to judge what she said, it's quite possible that they were responses to comments made by the towing cashier.

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart,
and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his
heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Luke 6:45

Originally posted by seminole1992:

Originally posted by Rhino_nole:

Have no problem with anything she said, & don't think she should've faced any discipline. Towing companies that operate in that part of the towing business are scum, and in all likelihood everything she stated was 100% accurate.
Nah, you don't treat people like that. And you don't treat waiters/waitresses and tow truck companies like that for a few reasons, this big chic didn't tow her car, a driver did and reason number 2, they still have possession of your vehicle and they can do all kinds of shiz to it.

Ole Britt has a degree but it's a degree in journalism, let's pump those breaks. I'm not diminishing a degree in journalism from Northwestern but let's not pretend she went through the rigorous course work to get her degree as a particle physics.

She was also told she was on camera and nary an eff was given, she went into her temper tantrum anyways. Really dumb for someone who's "one TV".
Maybe you've seen a full video of the entire time she was there; only thing I've seen was a selectively edited series of clips of a handful of comments she made. There was nothing showing anything said by the fat toothless assistant-to-the-extortionist, and nothing showing the general tone of what was going on and why tv chick was so confrontational. In my couple of dealings with towthieves, I'm inclined to assume that the people at the tow company likely treated her shabbily.
Sad you have this opinion.
IMO it's sad that anyone could develop any strong opinion on this based solely on the video that I saw - a collection of clips of the tv girl's comments. You have no context at all with which to judge what she said, it's quite possible that they were responses to comments made by the towing cashier.
I think what you are saying is a stretch though....The chances that the lady was looking for trouble and lashed out at the blonde bombshell out of the blue for no reason is very very slim. And even if that were the case, the comments she made and the tone and manner she said them came across as extremely immature. I don't see Chris Burman saying that he was on TV and was going to sue them and that she was fat and needed to lose weight...I see a spoiled entitled ungratful brat saying this because they have no other reasonable line of defense to say....it's being desperate.

BUT...if it turns out the lady said you are an ugly blond with bad teeth and would never make it on TV....then it would make sense she said those things back....but I HIGHLY doubt that is the case.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:13 AM by DanC78

1. If she were a man, he'd be fired, not suspended.

2. If she were a gator, she would have just broken into the tow lot and stolen her car back, and no one would prosecute either felony.

SeaPa, I posted this reply to your post in the P&GSF.

I had my car towed from a church parking lot, while I was inside the church hall, the pastor even called the tow company stating that they shouldn't have towed my car, but nope, $90 later I got my car back. Tow truck drivers make money by towing cars are usually nothing but filth, and the people I dealt with were just that, filth.

I too applaud McHenry. I too ran my mouth at the slob behind the screen until her meth addicted (this was about 10 years ago, so I doubt it was meth, more like heroin because on a morning when it was 80 degrees and humid as hell, they both wore long sleeve), skin head boyfriend came into the office and asked if I had a problem, not wanting to get shot, I just left after they opened the gate.

A few years later, I see that skinhead in the news for 3 armed robberies, I guess ripping off car owners just wasn't supporting his habit anymore.

Originally posted by Manch.:

I had my car towed from a church parking lot, while I was inside the church hall, the pastor even called the tow company stating that they shouldn't have towed my car, but nope, $90 later I got my car back. Tow truck drivers make money by towing cars are usually nothing but filth, and the people I dealt with were just that, filth.

I too applaud McHenry. I too ran my mouth at the slob behind the screen until her meth addicted (this was about 10 years ago, so I doubt it was meth, more like heroin because on a morning when it was 80 degrees and humid as hell, they both wore long sleeve), skin head boyfriend came into the office and asked if I had a problem, not wanting to get shot, I just left after they opened the gate.

A few years later, I see that skinhead in the news for 3 armed robberies, I guess ripping off car owners just wasn't supporting his habit anymore.
If your car is towed illegally then call the police. That is essentially grand theft auto, especially if it is done intentionally. The problem with this specific incident, is that it seems her car was legitimately towed. Unless you think there should be no parking restrictions what so ever, then I dont see how anyone can defend this woman.

She was so frustrated that this stuff just spewed out of her mouth and I am sure she is extremely embarrassed that this "inferior" human (insert sarcasm here) had power over her at the moment.

I bet her parents are very embarrassed at her behavior, regardless of her age. Sometimes our mouths get in the way of our brains and this is the result. I'd say she's on very thin ice in terms of her career right now.

Originally posted by goldmom:

She was so frustrated that this stuff just spewed out of her mouth and I am sure she is extremely embarrassed that this "inferior" human (insert sarcasm here) had power over her at the moment.

I bet her parents are very embarrassed at her behavior, regardless of her age. Sometimes our mouths get in the way of our brains and this is the result. I'd say she's on very thin ice in terms of her career right now.
The amazing thing, is that the woman even told her she was on camera, and she couldn't have cared less and went right on with her rant. If she said those things knowing she was on camera, then I would hate to see how she talks to be when she knows she isn't on camera. And yeah, if I am ESPN I am getting rid of her. The fact she is a low level reporter that has stirred up this amount of negative press, it doesn't seem worth it to keep her on.

"If you've ever had your car towed in Tallahassee you can understand where she is coming from. Those people are damn sharks"

Agree - yes, they can get you out a jam if you need them, but they make a lot of their $$ adding misery to the world.

Originally posted by FreeFlyNole:

I don't think she should have been suspended, those places are predatory rip off artists.

Tallahassee is the worst.

She should have burnt the place to the ground.

There aren't enough horrible things you can say to those dirtbags.

Even though I don't like anything to do with Espn,
I agree with free

This story sounds completely fabricated. Are you saying some random tow truck company just came to a church and towed your car for no reason? And then you paid the towing company?

Guess this girl is from Satellite Beach where I live, the local paper is reporting that on her time off from ESPN, she has been invited by the local minor league team to speak about bullying to elementary school kids before a game. I am willing to pay out of pocket for her car to be towed from the stadium lot and see her reaction. I'd also be willing to give the damsel in distress a ride to the bar and home afterwards.

Originally posted by given2fly:

This story sounds completely fabricated. Are you saying some random tow truck company just came to a church and towed your car for no reason? And then you paid the towing company?
I dont know if it is fabricated or not, but if anyone were to tow my car from a legal parking spot I would be pressing charges, certainly not paying them.

Look, I got my car towed once before too, it sucks balls. BUT, and here's the big part, tow truck operators are very highly regulated! No they cannot just tow your car, they have to have reason and proof. The vast majority of tows are from property that the driver has no business parking on. Like in a stores parking lot, the tow truck companies have contracts with those places and tow cars that don't belong. At my condo the association has a contract, if anyone parks with even a blade of grass touching their tire tow the car. The company takes a picture then tows the car.

What she did was basically threw up the "do you know who I am", and the "I'm so important, I can't believe that you little people are bothering me". So she decided it was OK to insult and degrade a women that worked behind the counter. Mocking her education, her weight and her appearance, all the while showing what an arrogant ass she is. She's fluff, that's why she's hired, that's why she can hold a mic and pretend she's a reporter..

Originally posted by given2fly:

Yes, the church leased out the back half of the lot to the city for parking for the high school across the street. I was parked in the first row of the non-leased side, and was towed anyway. After the pastor called the tow company and told them that they towed from the wrong section, they still wouldn't release the car without the $90 fee. The police said it was a civil matter and wouldn't dispatch a car. Seeing that the tow company was under contract with the city, the church couldn't do much about it. It was not the first time that they towed from the wrong section. Eventually the church didn't renew their contract with the city, and instead, rented out the spots to individual students/teachers and card were towed at the church's discretion and not the tow company. At first we were polite and thought they would release the car when the pastor explained to him that they towed incorrectly, but they refused and the girl behind the desk spoke at me and my friend in a manner in which we spoke back in the way she spoke at us. Does this sound fabricated now? Why would I fabricate a friggin tow story, to justify what that POS from ESPN did? If he's not towing, he's not making money.

He's homeless!! I guess there's just not enough money in towing, unlike the stupid "reality" show Lizard Lick towing..

The folks here who get their cars towed regularly are doing something wrong. Just asked four folks at my table how many times they've been towed in Tally. Answer is once in a cumulative 125 years of living here. Feed the meter and don't park in front of a hydrant. You're welcome.

Most of us would verbally fight back any idiot who gave us crap. So she needs to be fired for this? Hell no, her aggressiveness is just how she got to the position she's in... good for her.

To go off on a person who is working to make a living is wrong. All she does is work in the office, she should not be attacked for making a living. I'm for firing the espin reporter. After the treatment they have given Jameis, fire them all!!

The people at ESPN turned on her, that includes many of her co-workers. Apparently the rumor is true, she's not liked at all..

It takes some complete self involvement to get your car towed. The laws state about signs, and placement, and other rules. If you ignore the signs, you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself (and we all know that's not going to happen). If there's no signs, and your car is gone, call the police. Tell them it's stolen and you want to make a report. Otherwise, take your punishment.

Sorry, that's not the real world. I live in a tourist town and they abuse the system. Very few people want to call cops and go through all of that. Go get your car, berate them and go on about your business is something a lot of them are used to, they expect it. They aren't all bad but they sure aren't all legit either.

I've given this a lot of thought and think she ought to be given the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, haven't we all reacted totally different at different times when faced with the same situation? One day somebody can cut you off in traffic and you'll go ape chit and another day the same thing will happen and you'll just ride. Same thing at a restaurant, at a fast food joint, in the grocery with a neighbor, friend or relative. On a message board even.

She really just could have been having a bad day and was provoked into the rant. Something other than just being towed could have set her off and she went off on a tangent...

She presents herself as a young, entitled diva. About time ESPN got some flack of something. Plus you have another ESPN reporter, Erin Andrews (UF grad) who is dating a hockey guy who was just arrested on a drug charge. Down with ESPN!!!!!!!

Originally posted by canefan61:
She presents herself as a young, entitled diva. About time ESPN got some flack of something. Plus you have another ESPN reporter, Erin Andrews (UF grad) who is dating a hockey guy who was just arrested on a drug charge. Down with ESPN!!!!!!!
Erin Andrews is not an ESPN reporter and has not been for a couple years now. She is at FOX.

As for Britt McHenry, yes she does present herself as a young, entitled, better than anyone else bitch. I don't think she needs to be fired for this, but she definitely needs to catch a ton of flack for it. Imagine if this were some star athlete. ESPN would be all over it, trashing the person non-stop.

Originally posted by cmanole:
I've given this a lot of thought and think she ought to be given the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, haven't we all reacted totally different at different times when faced with the same situation? One day somebody can cut you off in traffic and you'll go ape chit and another day the same thing will happen and you'll just ride. Same thing at a restaurant, at a fast food joint, in the grocery with a neighbor, friend or relative. On a message board even.

She really just could have been having a bad day and was provoked into the rant. Something other than just being towed could have set her off and she went off on a tangent...

Dude...we are on message board, of course we can't do that! We are all perfect human beings that make zero bad decisions. Clearly why we are all CEOs and humanitarians during our daily lives.

But for real, one time when I was drunk as a skunk and told the bouncer at Spinnaker the ole "do you know who I am" line when he told me my ID was fake...which it was. I was hell bent serious about it too...told him my dad was the owner and I was going I have his job.

That was a douche move on my part...I was also 19.

I have no sympathy for this girl, she got caught....I always think she is probably a very good person and had a bad day...Goldie made the best points about it IMO.

Tallahassee tow companies are notorious vultures. One hooked up my roommates car in our own driveway in Indian Village while we were home because his tire was touching grass. We heard him when he lifted the car and ran out. My roommate said he would move the car into the middle of the driveway. POS tow truck driver said too late, pulled out a tire iron and said he was leaving with the car.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT