ADVERTISEMENT

How will covid effect this season

Take $20 bill and follow what it says on back, IN GOD WE TRUST! Personal choice and Doak should be at capacity.

the flu vaccine isn't long lasting but still uses the standard approach of dosing inactive virus or weakened live virus to stimulate an immune response. where it is compromised is that each year the viral load used is representative of the best guess as to the prevalent strain for the upcoming flu season.

moderna is now attempting through clinical trials to bring an mRNA flu vaccine.
I was speaking to the fact that traditionally vaccines were developed to prevent the recipient from contracting whatever the vaccine was intended to prevent. The Covid vaccine (and flu vaccine) are intended to prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. They will also have to be adjusted as the virus mutates. Whereas MMR, shingles, tetanus always remain the same.

Last edited:
Take $20 bill and follow what it says on back, IN GOD WE TRUST! Personal choice and Doak should be at capacity.
A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"
To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Now you have naturally acquired immunity, which is extremely likely to be better than the vaccines.
Tell that to my neighbor who had covid earlier and is now in the UAB ICU on a ventilator and the ECMO machine. Also needed a tracheotomy and is very near dialysis for the past three weeks........ No change. Acquired immunity is a joke with the variant. She wasn't vaccinated.

Reactions: goldmom
at least @ChiefWB is willing to entertain a debate on this.

lets just start with this:

vac•cine văk-sēn′, văk′sēn″​

►​

• n.
    A preparation of a weakened or killed pathogen, such as a bacterium or virus, or of a portion of the pathogen's structure that upon administration to an individual stimulates antibody production or cellular immunity against the pathogen but is incapable of causing severe infection.

vac·cine
/vakˈsēn/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.
    "there is no vaccine against the virus"

vac·cine
/vakˈsēn/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.
    "there is no vaccine againstthe virus"
Education is important. But beer is more importantier.

Covid education is like the benefits of eating dried grapes; just raisin' awareness. :cool:

This has been theorized for some time but it looks to be gathering some tangible results. Good news for those who consider the Covid vaccine “rushed”.

Reactions: GbrNole
You arrived at the conclusion you wanted, with no help from my post. You are welcome.

If you have natural immunity, there is absolutely no need for the vaccine. In fact, there are specific contraindications to taking the vaccine when you already have natural immunity.

However, there are millions of people who have received 'false positive' Covid tests, had no symptoms, and think they have 'recovered.' These people have no immunity. They may need to be vaccinated, depending on their risk profile and medical history.

I suspect that many are encouraging "people who have had Covid" to get the vaccine for this very reason; False positive = no immunity. Others, of course, want to vaccinate every living person in America - booster shots to follow annually.

I was simply trying to keep my post to Goldmom positive and encouraging.

The COVID vaccine has been proven to help prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. Plus, if you get COVID after having been vaccinated, then you also get all the wonderful benefits of natural immunity.

Best of both worlds.

You get that wonderful natural immunity without having to risk serious illness, hospitalization and death.

It's a win-win!

Excellent argument for vaccination.

Tell that to my neighbor who had covid earlier and is now in the UAB ICU on a ventilator and the ECMO machine. Also needed a tracheotomy and is very near dialysis for the past three weeks........ No change. Acquired immunity is a joke with the variant. She wasn't vaccinated.
Did your neighbor have Covid, as demonstrated by Covid symptoms and a positive Covid test? Or did she have a positive test with no symptoms? If she had a positive test with no symptoms, she was most likely a false positive, didn't have Covid, and so acquired no immunity.

Since I'm vaccinated it's a moot point.
Hi, I forget…didn’t you have a Covid scare or actually have Covid several months ago? If so, the variant seems to bypass the original Covid antibodies and vaccinations in some cases. I’m glad you’re better.

The COVID vaccine has been proven to help prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. Plus, if you get COVID after having been vaccinated, then you also get all the wonderful benefits of natural immunity.

Best of both worlds.

You get that wonderful natural immunity without having to risk serious illness, hospitalization and death.

It's a win-win!

Excellent argument for vaccination.
You just shifted the terms of the debate, which is what people do after they lose.

Perhaps you believe every COVID development is an "excellent argument for vaccination."

(As noted above, it's not a vaccination at all, but that's how people talk about it. This is one reason some people just call it "the jab." More accurate, and easier to say.)

Odd that you believe a COVID vaccination failure is an "excellent argument for vaccination." At least it's what 99% of people would consider a failure. You got vaccinated, you got COVID: fail. "Hey, I got vaccinated! What the heck?"

Odd that you believe wonderful natural immunity benefits which accrue from the vaccination failure is somehow an "excellent argument for vaccination."

Odd that you appear not to be aware there are known and unknown side effects from COVID vaccination, and that many thousands have died from the vaccination. Is that an "excellent argument for vaccination?"

The legitimate argument for COVID vaccination is that it appears to be successful in significantly reducing hospitalizations and deaths, as you noted. Of course that is good, even though they have playing "math games" with the numbers to make the vaccine success better than it is.

A more honest post would have been, "Yeah, but the COVID vaccine has been proven to help prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. Excellent argument for vaccination!"

Did your neighbor have Covid, as demonstrated by Covid symptoms and a positive Covid test? Or did she have a positive test with no symptoms? If she had a positive test with no symptoms, she was most likely a false positive, didn't have Covid, and so acquired no immunity.
False positives with PCR tests are very low.

You just shifted the terms of the debate, which is what people do after they lose.

Perhaps you believe every COVID development is an "excellent argument for vaccination."

(As noted above, it's not a vaccination at all, but that's how people talk about it. This is one reason some people just call it "the jab." More accurate, and easier to say.)

Odd that you believe a COVID vaccination failure is an "excellent argument for vaccination." At least it's what 99% of people would consider a failure. You got vaccinated, you got COVID: fail. "Hey, I got vaccinated! What the heck?"

Odd that you believe wonderful natural immunity benefits which accrue from the vaccination failure is somehow an "excellent argument for vaccination."

Odd that you appear not to be aware there are known and unknown side effects from COVID vaccination, and that many thousands have died from the vaccination. Is that an "excellent argument for vaccination?"

The legitimate argument for COVID vaccination is that it appears to be successful in significantly reducing hospitalizations and deaths, as you noted. Of course that is good, even though they have playing "math games" with the numbers to make the vaccine success better than it is.

A more honest post would have been, "Yeah, but the COVID vaccine has been proven to help prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. Excellent argument for vaccination!"
As noted above. It is a vaccination. Arguing the semantics of this is just plain stupid. “This is why people call it the jab” is laughable. People have been calling vaccinations getting a “shot” since I was a child. So strong points. I’d also be quite interested in the thousands of people who have died as a result of getting a covid shot. What’s the biologic reason for their death as caused by the vaccine (yes, it’s a vaccine).

Reactions: Mercutio
As noted above. It is a vaccination. Arguing the semantics of this is just plain stupid. “This is why people call it the jab” is laughable. People have been calling vaccinations getting a “shot” since I was a child. So strong points. I’d also be quite interested in the thousands of people who have died as a result of getting a covid shot. What’s the biologic reason for their death as caused by the vaccine (yes, it’s a vaccine).
He's likely talking about the VAERS database, which is largely self-reported and at best solely provides that someone died after getting the vaccine. Anti-vaxxers take this as proof that the vaccine is killing people, however, it's essentially meaningless information. The studies on VAERS have shown there is not any evidence that any of the deaths on there had anything to do with the vaccine and the ones they have looked into the people died of other causes.

In the end it doesn't really matter, the people that still spout their incorrect information just ignore it when you point that out. They've made up their minds and no actual information will change it.

Reactions: NoleOne and ChiefWB
As noted above. It is a vaccination.
your definition just reinforced my argument. the definition you chose and provided said

" a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.
"there is no vaccine against the virus "

the mRNA drugs are not prepared from the causative agent of COVID. they instead induce your body to create a protein to combat the virus if exposed to it. moderna and pfizer themselves don't even call it a vaccine. they specifically refer to the drug as gene therapy, which it is.

now the J&J drug on the other hand is more typical of a vaccine as we know it (astra zeneca too but that is not approved in the US) since it uses viral vector, but J&J has been vilified by the media. viral vector vaccines have been around for about 50 years.

your definition just reinforced my argument. the definition you chose and provided said

" a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.

the mRNA drugs are not prepared from the causative agent of COVID. they instead induce your body to create a protein to combat the virus if exposed to it. moderna and pfizer themselves don't even call it a vaccine. they specifically refer to the drug as gene therapy, which it is.

now the J&J drug on the other hand is more typical of a vaccine as we know it (astra zeneca too but that is not approved in the US) since it uses viral vector, but J&J has been vilified by the media. viral vector vaccines have been around for about 50 years.

The CDC and Pfizer both consider it a vaccine.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Overview and Safety​

Updated June 24, 2021
Languages
Print
CDC Monitoring Reports of Myocarditis and Pericarditis
CDC has received increased reports of myocarditis and pericarditis in adolescents and young adults after COVID-19 vaccination. The known and potential benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis. We continue to recommend COVID-19 vaccination for anyone 12 years of age and older.
Learn When to Seek Medical Care

General Information​

Name: BNT162b2
Manufacturer: Pfizer, Inc., and BioNTech
Type of Vaccine: mRNA
Number of Shots: 2 shots, 21 days apart
How Given: Shot in the muscle of the upper arm
Does NOT Contain: Eggs, preservatives, latex, metals
Full List of Ingredients

Also from Pfizer's own website:

Our Path to Developing the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine​

In the end it doesn't really matter, the people that still spout their incorrect information just ignore it when you point that out. They've made up their minds and no actual information will change it.
Precisely. And that's one of my issues reading these posts. And I'm looking at you, too, Pops. And NoleOne. Your responses to GbrNole are classic examples of "They've made up their minds and no actual information will change it."

Precisely. And that's one of my issues reading these posts. And I'm looking at you, too, Pops. And NoleOne. Your responses to GbrNole are classic examples of "They've made up their minds and no actual information will change it."
Do you have season tickets? Will you be at the ND game?

“Synthetic substitute”. Did you miss that?

She had a positive test with symptoms. Again, having covid previously does not prevent someone from getting covid or the variant at this point.
That is a fact. Any other argument is completely moot and irrelevant to the facts.

I just got news that a former co-worker died of COVID today. Nice man with a family...well liked. He was from Maine and had that "Up East" accent. Pretty healthy or so it seemed. No vaccination. 😔

Nah. Same debate.

You downplay the benefit of preventing serious illness, hospitalization and death and the natural immunity someone would acquire after avoiding serious illness, hospitalization and death but still getting COVID.

You seem overly concerned about semantics and perception.

Never said side effects are an argument for a vaccine.

Nothing really to add. There is no changing your mind. Good luck.

I just got news that a former co-worker died of COVID today. Nice man with a family...well liked. He was from Maine and had that "Up East" accent. Pretty healthy or so it seemed. No vaccination. 😔
I’m sorry…such a waste….needless.

Nah. Same debate.

You downplay the benefit of preventing serious illness, hospitalization and death and the natural immunity someone would acquire after avoiding serious illness, hospitalization and death but still getting COVID.

You seem overly concerned about semantics and perception.

Never said side effects are an argument for a vaccine.

Nothing really to add. There is no changing your mind. Good luck.
I guess I can't help you with your reading comprehension problem. I tried.

As to "changing my mind," see if you are able to describe my opinion on the issue of vaccines. I haven't expressed one in this thread. You describe, and then I'll post my opinion (briefly).

Your opinion appears to be "Everyone or almost everyone should be vaccinated."

She had a positive test with symptoms. Again, having covid previously does not prevent someone from getting covid or the variant at this point.
That is a fact. Any other argument is completely moot and irrelevant to the facts.
LOL.

I'm not scared. I've been vaccinated. I am just cautious and I feel like wearing a mask and practicing safe distancing is much less burdensome than being intubated in an ICU.
The mask isn't going to do anything for you and it's looking like your experimental vax isn't working either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT