ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

Rishi

Contributor
Mar 31, 2002
hopefully a mod can start/pin one.

This post was edited on 3/25 6:09 AM by DFSNOLE

Re: Need a new FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

Up north, we have NESN, which is owned by the Red Sox who own Liverpool. NESN will broadcast Liverpool shows every week and the last half hour of this show "Liverpool Match Extra", is showing Liverpool and West Ham U21's and Liverpool wins 5-0, but that Kevin Stewart kid has one hell of a left foot shot from around the 18. He is listed as a defender or central mid, but he scored a beautiful goal from the 18.

I try to follow the U21's from time to time, hoping for that next class of 1992.....
laugh.r191677.gif
. Seriously, it helps me keep track of some of the highly touted kids that United has down on the farm (and I get to watch Falcao play!). I have been following Serbian keeper Vanja Milinkovic-Savic who is 18 and is on loan to Vojvodina, who are a couple of points away from qualifying for the Europa first round qualifying. He was born is Spain, so I have no idea who he will play internationally for, but he has played in 16 of the 18 games and has done well for the Serbian team. Following these kids also helps me follow leagues like Serbia, leagues I normally wouldn't change the channel for.

Does anyone else try to follow the reserves/U21's?

Now they are showing the Liverpool U18 highlights, a 3-2 win Leicester.

Originally posted by Manch.:
Up north, we have NESN, which is owned by the Red Sox who own Liverpool. NESN will broadcast Liverpool shows every week and the last half hour of this show "Liverpool Match Extra", is showing Liverpool and West Ham U21's and Liverpool wins 5-0, but that Kevin Stewart kid has one hell of a left foot shot from around the 18. He is listed as a defender or central mid, but he scored a beautiful goal from the 18.

I try to follow the U21's from time to time, hoping for that next class of 1992.....
laugh.r191677.gif
. Seriously, it helps me keep track of some of the highly touted kids that United has down on the farm (and I get to watch Falcao play!). I have been following Serbian keeper Vanja Milinkovic-Savic who is 18 and is on loan to Vojvodina, who are a couple of points away from qualifying for the Europa first round qualifying. He was born is Spain, so I have no idea who he will play internationally for, but he has played in 16 of the 18 games and has done well for the Serbian team. Following these kids also helps me follow leagues like Serbia, leagues I normally wouldn't change the channel for.

Does anyone else try to follow the reserves/U21's?

Now they are showing the Liverpool U18 highlights, a 3-2 win Leicester.
Lol at watching Falcao in our U21s. Manch, where can I see our U21s play down here in Orlando? Is there a stream besides MUTV?

The locker room is anti soccer, pretty much the opposite of the American public. Mls has been smart to grow slowly until the last few years when I think they're going a bit too fast. It's amazing how when I was a teenager only my friends who played soccer could talk inter milan and barcelona. Now, many friends who never played the sport are up on the chsmpions league and they all follow the World Cup. The fans at USA games had changed dramatically too, used to be middle aged to older now it's getting younger. How many sports can claim that? Certainly not baseball.

A World Cup here in 2026 would explode the sport. 94 was an re-introduction, 26 would be massive but I never trust fifa so I won't hold my breath.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

On Bale,
The problem with unloading him which needs to happen is his value has plummeted. It's clear he's not a world class player and was overpaid so how does madrid eat all that money? Aka Kaka 2.0

Kaka was hurt badly at Madrid.

He was World Player of the Year the year before he was transferred from AC Milan.

Kaka, in his prime, was 10x the player Bale could ever hope to be.

Originally posted by Naught-Nole-Buc:

Lol at watching Falcao in our U21s. Manch, where can I see our U21s play down here in Orlando? Is there a stream besides MUTV?
laugh.r191677.gif
Not to mention that Valdes and Rafael also played in that U21 game.

You can catch the MUFC U21's on MUTV, which, I believe you have to pay for. I see quite a few links and highlight packages in some of the threads at Red Cafe.com. Also, Youtube is great for picking up highlights and sometimes, the entire games.

Originally posted by Manch.:

Originally posted by Naught-Nole-Buc:

laugh.r191677.gif
Not to mention that Valdes and Rafael also played in that U21 game.

You can catch the MUFC U21's on MUTV, which, I believe you have to pay for. I see quite a few links and highlight packages in some of the threads at Red Cafe.com. Also, Youtube is great for picking up highlights and sometimes, the entire games.
I didn't even think to look in the threads on the Cafe... considering they're always posting links for the senior team i guess they'd have the U21s also.

How has Raf looked down there since coming back? I really think if he's back to his fast-paced attacking and tenacious defending, then he could really make a big difference for us in Valencia's place. I love Tony's work ethic, but good lord, does he kill an attack like no one else.

I agree on Valencia killing some attacks, and I think that Rafael is great coming down the wing and getting the ball across the box. Rafael can be a defensive liability, but as of right now, he's probably better on the wing than Di Maria.

This just doesn't make any sense. Di Maria was the best player on the World Cup runner ups this past summer...by a mile, over Messi.

He was LETHAL his whole time at Real Madrid.

His falling off doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
This just doesn't make any sense. Di Maria was the best player on the World Cup runner ups this past summer...by a mile, over Messi.

He was LETHAL his whole time at Real Madrid.

His falling off doesn't make any sense to me at all.
He would disappear for stretches while at Real, but it could be hidden by the great team surrounding him and the fact that if he played great, CR7 would play even better. If he played poorly, Real would win anyway and we wouldn't hear much about his poor play.

He was easily the best player on the pitch against Atletico in the Champions League Finals.

I think his drop off this year has been because United have just started to gel as a team and he hasn't grasped LVG's system yet. He will come around, and when he does, goals coming from the left side will be a plenty. I think confidence is also a problem, he doesn't look comfortable out there. There have been numerous times when he shoots and most feel that he should be passing at the time, and there have been numerous times when he is passing when he should be shooting.

At times, it appears to me that he is so uncomfortable that he doesn't want to be out there, for instance, the grabbing of the ref's shirt against Arse in the FA Cup and his fair catch against Liverpool on Sunday, it appears to me that he is purposely trying to get booked so that he isn't even eligible to play.

I am dumbfounded by his confidence issues, because in the World Cup, he was in fact one of the best players in the competition and he was the sole reason that Real was able to come back and win the Madrid Derby, aka, the Champions League Final.

I guess the next question then is: who comes off for Di Maria? My guess is Ashley Young, but he's been very good. If it's Mata, you lose his incisive passing (which the rest of the "good 11" is lacking at his level IMO). Another question is who comes off when RVP is healthy? Fellaini? If so, you lose "the bull" in midfield that he's become (again) in the last few appearances. All good questions that I'm glad Van Gaal has to answer (hopefully in a media session
3dgrin.r191677.gif
).

Yup Di maria was very up and down at madrid, he's got a temper and was easily baited by other players. IMHO he's looked much calmer at United, but not as effective

Di Maria was way more up than down at Madrid.

His negatives there are being drastically overstated in this thread, IMO.

Anybody see the highlights (or lowlights, if you prefer) of the Russia/Macedonia match yesterday? Keep stretchered off after being hit by a lit flare in the back of the head, another player showing the ref something thrown at him, and the game suspended at that point, with some pushing and shoving on the pitch at the end. Sometimes European games can be scary to attend.

And Welbeck named Man of the Match for England with a goal and as assist!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by seminoleed:

And Welbeck named Man of the Match for England with a goal and as assist!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
And if Rooney didn't hit the post twice, he would have passed Bobby Charlton for career English goals!

Di Maria was way more up than down at Madrid.

His negatives there are being drastically overstated in this thread, IMO.
I am not sure if I was overstating Di Maria's negatives while at Real, but he did have stretches where he was invisible, probably far less than when he was brilliant.

I love having him at United, but for the price as of right now, Nani probably would have the same stats or better and coming a lot cheaper.

It's nice to see Wales making a decent run, they might not ever qualify for the WC, but I would like to see them at Euro 2016.

The Netherlands could be in trouble, they are either too old or too young, and of course they have a new manager.

Group D is going to be a scrum, with Poland (10 points) leading the way over Germany, Scotland and Ireland (all with 7 points).

I think the English, Slovakians, and the Czechs have just about punched their ticket out of the group stage.

I agree what on earth the Netherlands is doing I don't know, but similar stubbornness to madrid in their refusal to switch from ineffective 4-3-3 during stale games. Considering I'm gonna be at Euros they'd better get it done! Love the Dutch.

Portugal finally on a roll but still 4 games to go. The goal Serbia scored was unreal.

Slovakia has been a shocker, but how about one seed Greece with 1 point? Group F, no one had Romania and Northern Ireland predicted to this point. Both will get slaughtered next summer.

Russia has been poor too. I wonder what Uefa does for that terrible incident in Montenegro.

On England, it's a weak group but I'm sure the British press will be predicting the title as usual next summer. I will give them credit for not taking it easy as we've seen both Germany and Spain look bored at times while dropping points to inferior teams.

Belgium has a huge game vs Israel I think tomorrow. Hoping belgium gets going

With the extra teams making it in for 2016, Netherlands aren't in that much trouble. 5 points out of automatic qualifying (albeit that is a lot) but in a playoff spot currently.

Rishi,
The issue is the playoff is coefficient based, so you often get say Netherlands(high rank) vs belgium (low rank as they were bad for ages until lately) in one, and Scotland vs Hungary in another. Not a gane Id want to play, last World Cup Portugal got Sweden in playoff.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Rishi,
The issue is the playoff is coefficient based, so you often get say Netherlands(high rank) vs belgium (low rank as they were bad for ages until lately) in one, and Scotland vs Hungary in another. Not a gane Id want to play, last World Cup Portugal got Sweden in playoff.
kooter, that sucked for Sweden in the WC qualifying, but that 2nd tie was one of the best matches that I have ever seen. It was the Ibra vs Ronaldo show, and was better than any WC match.

It reminded me of the Bird/Dominique Game 7 in 1988.

That Sweden/Portugal WC qualifying playoff WAS sick. Int'l football at its best.

I can't remember any single match WC match being better except for MAYBE Brazil/Chile. That was a pretty great match.

That Sweden/Portugal WC qualifying playoff WAS sick. Int'l football at its best.

I can't remember any single match WC match being better except for MAYBE Brazil/Chile. That was a pretty great match.
Forgot about that Brazil/Chile draw. Brazil had a few chances to win in OT but the Chile keeper made a few great saves and Chile hit the woodwork twice, I think, that would have won it, but I still think the Portugal/Sweden game was better, as I think I jumped off of my couch 3 or 4 times (the combined 5 goals in a 30 minute span in the 2nd half was insane).

didn't realize that kooter, thought it was a "draw" - I'm always suspicious of the draws in all FIFA/UEFA sanctioned events.

Originally posted by Rishi:
I'm always suspicious of the draws in all FIFA/UEFA sanctioned events.
Ya think?
laugh.r191677.gif

The only thing worse than FIFA/UEFA sanctioned draws is FIFA/UEFA "awarded" competitions! They are 1,000 worse than the IOC.

Some decent matches today as Israel hosts Belgium for control over 2nd place in Group B, and in a friendly, the Spaniards travel to Amsterdam seeking revenge on the ass kicking that the Dutch laid on them in the 2014 World Cup. David De Gea is expected to start for Spain.

I agree with all on that Porto Sweden match it was sensational. Nice comparison Manch to Bird /Wilkins.

One positive of the coefficient seeding Is fifa and Uefa can't screw with it, it's all a formula so no "blind" draw possible to screw anyone

Well, thank you Jozy for running your mouth and getting red carded. That certainly helped our chances against Switzerland. A draw was fine, but this could have been a win over a decent European team.

And now he's gone vs Mexico.

Dutch spanked the Spanish again.

Courtois was awesome in goal, vs. Israel. MOTM performance for sure.

I wish he'd take Timmy Chandler with him. Seriously, how is this guy still getting playing time, besides having German ties? And I still can't believe we have a country of 350 million people yet can't find 4 competent defenders.

Originally posted by fsUTampa:

I wish he'd take Timmy Chandler with him. Seriously, how is this guy still getting playing time, besides having German ties? And I still can't believe we have a country of 350 million people yet can't find 4 competent defenders.
If the club where my daughter is any indication of youth clubs across the country, I see why we cannot find 4 competent defenders. I consistently hear from other parents (both boys & girls) that all teams are never in balance and they are overweight with forwards. Essentially coaches are continually trying to force players into offensive roles instead of trying to develop complete defenders.

Dutch spanked the Spanish again.

Courtois was awesome in goal, vs. Israel. MOTM performance for sure.
Interesting take on Courtois, on the Chelsea site I frequent daily they said he could have hung a hammock and taken a nap for much of the game and basically said he only made 1 save of any consequences all match.

He made 3-4 great saves, and he was under fire for the final 30+ as Kompany had been sent off, and Belgium were down to 10 men.

Goalkeeping and defending have never been worse globally IMHO. On defense, if you've ever seen John Terry or a David Luiz or a Marcelo practice it's easy to understand. None want to be defenders they only work on their offensive game away from drills, it's maddening. Defending doesn't make exciting video clips.
I don't know this but I can guess the USA guys are the same. I know our historically effective tandem of balboa and Lalas wanted and were thrilled to work at their craft. Cosches I hear today see very little of that on defense. Every team has 18 wannabe forwards from under 9 to professional.

Paolo Maldini and Allesandro Nesta are both yelling at all of these aforementioned defenders above to get off of their lawns!

3-Nil at the half!!

Bellerin and Sanchez w/great goals! Ozil w/a goal on a free kick poorly played by Mingolet. Goons really firing today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT