ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

I can't believe ManU is seriously thinking of selling Angel Di Maria to PSG. I really can't. Unless there is some sort of genuine conflict between he and LVG, I don't see how you give up on him after only one year. He's one of the 10 best footballers in the world, IMO...at the very least easily one of the 10 best attacking footballers. You just don't get that many cracks at that level of player.

That said, I hope they sell him! :)

Hell, I'd have no problem with The Arsenal picking him up.

I can't believe ManU is seriously thinking of selling Angel Di Maria to PSG. I really can't. Unless there is some sort of genuine conflict between he and LVG, I don't see how you give up on him after only one year. He's one of the 10 best footballers in the world, IMO...at the very least easily one of the 10 best attacking footballers. You just don't get that many cracks at that level of player.

That said, I hope they sell him! :)

He was just not that DiMaria for us last season. It almost feels like he didnt want to be in England and just seemed disconnected without any cares. I was super excited when we got him but if he's not happy and his play is affected by that, then we've got to send him off. I'd love for him to stay and play up to his ability and give his best effort, we'd have quite a strong attack force with him... but I don't see him coming around and changing his attitude.

Last year someone here invited me to join their Fantasy League at fantasy.premierleague.com...I think it was run by a family member of theirs over in England. By chance is that league being run again, and if so can I get an invite again? If it is not, is anyone around here planning to run an EPL Fantasy League this year?

Last year someone here invited me to join their Fantasy League at fantasy.premierleague.com...I think it was run by a family member of theirs over in England. By chance is that league being run again, and if so can I get an invite again? If it is not, is anyone around here planning to run an EPL Fantasy League this year?

I think it was me. Funny, we must have the same morning schedule. The league code is 7573-37913. Anyone else who wants to join is welcome. Trying to get as many as possible.

I think it was me. Funny, we must have the same morning schedule. The league code is 7573-37913. Anyone else who wants to join is welcome. Trying to get as many as possible.

Thanks. When I went in to setup my team this year it automatically added me to the league since I was a member last year. This year I named my team Arsenal Resurgence...trying to predict the future here. Now I just need to figure out what the new features are with bench scoring, triple captain, and all out attack. I didn't realize we had a wildcard transfer week last year until February.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the USA's devastating loss to Jamaica in the Gold Cup semis. How far does this set us back exactly in our effort to be considered "world class"? What a very, very disappointing defeat on our home soil. Now there's no chance to travel to Russia for the '17 Confederations Cup to get acclimated for the WC in '18. Plus, I've taken a hit on a personal note as I had been bragging to non-soccer fans about how good our USMNT had been looking in recent months. This sucks.

Last edited:
Regarding the Confederations Cup, we very much still can qualify for that. Because we won the last gold cup we will play the winner of this gold cup for the opportunity to go to Russia in 2017.

That said, the fact remains that the loss to Jamaica was a devastating one. Hard to tell how much this will set us back, but it certainly won't make our bandwagon any bigger.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the USA's devastating loss to Jamaica in the Gold Cup semis. How far does this set us back exactly in our effort to be considered "world class"? What a very, very disappointing defeat on our home soil. Now there's no chance to travel to Russia for the '17 Confederations Cup to get acclimated for the WC in '18. Plus, I've taken a hit on a personal note as I had been bragging to non-soccer fans about how good our USMNT had been looking in recent months. This sucks.

http://floridastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/gold-cup-thread.24891/

Friggin rookies.

Lets all sign up for nole31906's fantasy league. He put the league code in his post. It can be the unofficial PGSF League.

I never realized there were so many Arsenal supporters on Warchant. My father-in-law will be proud.

Last edited:
Regarding the Confederations Cup, we very much still can qualify for that. Because we won the last gold cup we will play the winner of this gold cup for the opportunity to go to Russia in 2017.

That said, the fact remains that the loss to Jamaica was a devastating one. Hard to tell how much this will set us back, but it certainly won't make our bandwagon any bigger.

I obviously didn't realize that. I feel a little better now. Still can't believe we were beat by a track nation.

I am not sure this will set the USMNT back very much. I look at how the team is being built and it reminds me of "the process" Jimbo is always talking about. I really don't think this is the team Jurgen wants to have, and I think the loss will give him the excuse to make changes sooner rather than phasing people out over time.

Yes, this team looked good recently, but those were friendlies. With the number of subs, and both Holland & Germany getting ready for European Qualifiers the following week, they really weren't playing for the sole purpose of winning. IMO the USMNT didn't look very good early on in the Gold Cup, so losing wasn't a huge shock to me...especially knowing Jamaica had the Copa AMerica to warm up for the Gold Cup.

Just my .02 cents.

I obviously didn't realize that. I feel a little better now. Still can't believe we were beat by a track nation.

I had to chuckle the day after the game while listening to Sirius/XM FC 94. One show had a bunch of callers calling in stating they think the reason the US isn't an elite soccer country is because we lack technical ability across the pitch. Instead we rely too much on physical play and our athleticism. Most callers agreed on this point, as did the show hosts.

Then the next show the experts commented on how Jamaica seemed to be more physical & more athletic than the US, and just about every caller agreed.

Odd how the US isn't elite because we are too physical & athletic, but we lost because the other team was MORE physical & athletic.

that is amusing. The best attribute of the US in the 90s was our work ethic and athleticism, but other countries have caught up now so it's irrelevant now.
USA lost again today, after being outshot 25-5 by mighy Panama. I didn't watch. Jurgen shouldn't last the night but Gulati made his bed with him. The worst thing Jurgen has done is not develop any good U23 guys, they should be playing by now and pushing the vets, and we have almost none.

Other than Tottenham vs MLS All-Stars, I think all of the pre-season matches are just about over.

Next up, the Community Shield - August 2nd.

With Arsenal's luck, AW will finally beat Mourinho, when it doesn't count.

I can't wait for this season to start!

Other than Tottenham vs MLS All-Stars, I think all of the pre-season matches are just about over.

Why doesn't it count, Les? In England, it sure does--not on the level of winning the Premiership or the CL, to be sure, but it's like winning a big bowl game. I guarantee you Wembley will be sold out for this game that "doesn't count". If The Arsenal wins it, it coulb be the catalyst to a great season; Josie was on record yesterday as saying Wenger will challenge for the title this year.

Ahhhh....such optimism before the season gets under way (and then will come the first head-scratching road loss to Watford).

Reactions: LesClaypool
Why doesn't it count, Les? In England, it sure does--not on the level of winning the Premiership or the CL, to be sure, but it's like winning a big bowl game. I guarantee you Wembley will be sold out for this game that "doesn't count". If The Arsenal wins it, it coulb be the catalyst to a great season; Josie was on record yesterday as saying Wenger will challenge for the title this year.

Of course the game counts, maybe not in the standings, but it counts. Today, teams use the match more of a tune-up, but in past years, the game was played as if it were the first game of the year, and top teams were in it and bragging rights and silverware were all on the line.

United has 20 Cups (16 wins, 4 draws and 9 losses) and Liverpool has 15 Cups (9 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses). Arsenal has 13 Cups (12 wins, 1 draw and 7 losses).

Benzema on a plane to London? Could be having a medical with Arsenal soon. I have never been a big fan of Benzema, but he will help out the Gunners.

Of course the game counts, maybe not in the standings, but it counts. Today, teams use the match more of a tune-up, but in past years, the game was played as if it were the first game of the year, and top teams were in it and bragging rights and silverware were all on the line.

United has 20 Cups (16 wins, 4 draws and 9 losses) and Liverpool has 15 Cups (9 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses). Arsenal has 13 Cups (12 wins, 1 draw and 7 losses).
I hope we win it, and I'll be thrilled if we do.

I was happy we won the Barclay's Asia Cup and the Emirates Cup this year...but those aren't silverware. They're preseason scrimmages.

That said, the Community Shield isn't (real) silverware either, and Wenger will still be winless, officially, against Mourinho, in my eyes, regardless of the outcome of this match.

For that matter, if Arsenal would beat Chelsea in the League Cup, I'd still not consider it a REAL win. Top teams play their B-sides in the League Cup, thus it isn't legit to me. If Arsenal ever wins the League Cup, I won't personally consider it a trophy (but I do realize that lesser sides can use it as a chance to get into the Europa League, I think, so for some teams it IS legit...just not for Arsenal, or ManU, or Chelsea, or Man City, or even Liverpool. Tottenham - definitely a real cup for them though, as they are bottom-feeding losers :D.)

The only thing that counts is the Premier League, the Champions League, and the FA Cup. Everything else is a scrimmage.

Just my $.02

Benzema on a plane to London? Could be having a medical with Arsenal soon. I have never been a big fan of Benzema, but he will help out the Gunners.
I'm a huge fan of Benzema's. He's a tiny bit prone to laziness, but he's a top class finisher. Plus he'd push Giroud and Welbeck to bring out the best in them. No brainer if this deal is true.

Cech
Bellerin Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal
Cazorla Coquelin
Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
Benzema

THAT team, w/Wilshere, Walcott, Giroud, and company on the bench, can honestly challenge for the title, IMO...and I say that as a long-suffering Arsenal fan who honestly believes only bad things can ever happen to this club. LOL

Les, as far as the League Cup, IMO, with the top 4-5 teams buying so many players, that I believe the top 5 are using B+/A- teams to win this trophy now a days to help account for the money they have spent, especially if they make it to the quarters. United played a sh!t team last year and lost early. United generally will play a weaker side, but when teams aren't winning the CL or EPL, they will go after this Cup. 9 out of the last 11 winners of the FA and League Cups have come from the top 6 teams (United, City, Chelsea, Arse, Spurs and Liverpool). Out of those 4 matches not won by a top 6 team, City and Arse lost in a final, so even though it appears that the top teams play their reserves, which they might early on, but when it gets close to the quarters, you will see top flight football. Of course, Liverpool fans think the League Cup > Champions League.

Past winners: League Cup/FA Cup/EPL Champ
2015: Chelsea---Arsenal---Chelsea
2014: Man City---Arsenal---Man City
2013: Swansea---Wigan---United
2012: Liverpool---Chelsea---Man City
2011: Birmingham City---Man City---United
2010: United---Chelsea---Chelsea
2009: United---Chelsea---United
2008: Tottenham---Portsmouth---United
2007: Chelsea---Chelsea---United
2006: United---Liverpool-Chelsea
2005: Chelsea---Arsenal---Chelsea

Arsenal stuck w/their B- team the year they lost the league cup final vs Birmingham City and its a popular decision by many managers to play your backup GK in the FA Cup.

I get it. You spend a bazillion dollars you wanna see those players take the pitch.

Great research though!

Remember when Pompey won the FA Cup? That was something else!

As a Chelsea fan, I can assure you that this definitely counts! This is a big match I've been looking forward to.

Chelsea has another after the Community Shield against Fiorentina on Wednesday at Stamford Bridge. Could be an awkward "friendly" if the Salah situation isn't fully sorted out by then.

As a Chelsea fan, I can assure you that this definitely counts! This is a big match I've been looking forward to.

Mourinho and Chelsea have never treated it with any respect in the past. I do believe he will treat it with a bit more (like he did in 2005 when incidentally we played Arsenal) only because it's Arsenal. Not full out like we will come Aug. 8th against Swansea, but none the less: Chelsea/Jose Mourinho vs Arsenal/Arsene Wenger, that alone makes it impossible for competitiveness not to come out.

I'm a huge fan of Benzema's. He's a tiny bit prone to laziness, but he's a top class finisher. Plus he'd push Giroud and Welbeck to bring out the best in them. No brainer if this deal is true.

Cech
Bellerin Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal
Cazorla Coquelin
Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
Benzema

THAT team, w/Wilshere, Walcott, Giroud, and company on the bench, can honestly challenge for the title, IMO...and I say that as a long-suffering Arsenal fan who honestly believes only bad things can ever happen to this club. LOL

As long as Mertesacker is a bang on starter, I consider Arsenal less than a full challenger. I do think they'll be better this year because they have a legit GK in Cech and it's virtually impossible to have the same injury concerns they had last year (although if anyone can do it's Arsenal).

I still like Chelsea's chances with our basic squad now (assuming we add a LB eg. Baba Rahman between now and the end of the transfer window) vs the Arsenal squad (even if they do add Benzema).

City still is a bigger threat to the title IMO. I also believe that City will add at least one more piece (likely a CD) before the end of the window.

United still have some holes on the back end and if they do end up selling De Gea (I'm sure the pressure's mounting up on both sides now) they may end up closer to 5th than 1st (still like their chances over Liverpool and Spurs there). Not sure who United would get at GK if De Gea leaves at this point (not sure Lloris is a viable option this late). Valdes doesn't inspire confidence IMO.

Chelsea desperate for Stones is curious. Im hoping he starts for Everton this season to me hes solid but not worth the 25+ chelsea is offering. Makes me wonder what Mourinho has planned. Everton cant unload him now with Distin finally gone.

Benzema, i like him but hes not world class. He absolutely disappears in big games which is why most expect him to stsrt the season in the bench with cr7 taking over central striker. So selling him makes sense now. Hes got lots of quality, but a poor work rate, id put him ahead of giroud for sure though. If Jese keeps looking good i think benzema is gone.
Keep in mind te morons of La Liga are starting their season really late before Euros for some unknown reason, still a month off.

On a postive note, if Hotpants can't beat an MLS All-Star team that had all of what, 2 practices?, I think St. Totteringham's Day will be coming very early this year.

Reactions: LesClaypool
That 16 yr old Italian keeper got in today in shootout loss for AC. He started some games in Serie B last year at 15.

Looks like De Gea to Real and Jasper Cillessen will be headed to United, and Di Maria to PSG with Nicolás Gaitán coming to United along with Pedro. If all this happens, United still needs a center back, IMO.

Of course this all means absolutely nothing until the kits are pulled over the heads.

Interesting stuff on Cillissen getting cap tied wednesday With Ajax but his injury might give them more time to get that done.

I am frankly amazed that this thread lasted as long as it did before breaking. Consequently, I'm going to start a new one to avoid the problem, and start a new year of footie off with a rousing victory by The Arsenal over Josie and the Chavs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT