ADVERTISEMENT

New FUTBOL thread (old one is broken)

How could Pogba go to Barcelona? I was under the impression they were under transfer restrictions and couldn't sign anyone until the January transfer window.

How could Pogba go to Barcelona? I was under the impression they were under transfer restrictions and couldn't sign anyone until the January transfer window.

They can sign players, but can't join until Barca until next window. i.e. have to send on loan. So for a player like Pogba, it likely would be a full year loan since he likely wouldn't be loaned to a non-UCL team.

Real and Athletico are facing the same penalty (assuming their appeals go the same way as Barca's did last year) this summer.

re: Remy, latest rumour is that Chelsea have pulled him off the market.

I wouldn't characterize his Athletico time as a fluke as he was doing well at Monaco prior to his ACL injury (better than 1 goal every 2 games). Usually takes more than a year to get back to 100%, but I'd be shocked if he ever got his quick acceleration back fully again since he's on the downside of his career now (29).

Real transfer ban is s joke and is being ignored for good reason. Unlike barcelona's shady kid signings and atleticos non spanish youth teams Real youth signings would make the IRS proud.

I think it sucks at the money that is thrown around and the way the rules don't seem to apply to Real and Barca, and that's why you almost never see the 10th place team in La Liga stand a chance against Barca/Real. Espanyol lost to the Big 2 by scores of 5-0, 3-0, 2-0 and 4-1 (14-1 aggregate). Crystal Palace went 1-3 against Chelsea and City (7-3 aggregate), losing two games by a goal. The EPL is far more balanced.

Allegedly, RVP to Fenerbahce (really?!?!) of all places, is a done deal.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

He's only 31. He should be capable of playing at a million more attractive places than there.

Podolski also sold to Galatasaray, though that actually makes sense.

Allegedly, RVP to Fenerbahce (really?!?!) of all places, is a done deal.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

He's only 31. He should be capable of playing at a million more attractive places than there.

Podolski also sold to Galatasaray, though that actually makes sense.

Fenerbahce is offering a 4 year deal, so the security might make more sense for him. His problem is the soft injuries, and at his age, not being able to bounce back from those injuries. United also opens up a £200,000 wage spot, so losing VP, Anderson, Falcao and possibly Nani, that's about £700,000 in wages that can be used for incoming transfers. I highly doubt that United would have signed VP to an extension for after 2015/16. Looks like the transfer fee is about £4.25 million, so this is more of a salary dump for United than anything. His incoming transfer was for about £25 million, so for 3 years, his fee was about £7 million a year + wages, which wasn't all that bad seeing how the transfer fees have grown the past couple of years.

Fenerbahce is offering a 4 year deal, so the security might make more sense for him. His problem is the soft injuries, and at his age, not being able to bounce back from those injuries. United also opens up a £200,000 wage spot, so losing VP, Anderson, Falcao and possibly Nani, that's about £700,000 in wages that can be used for incoming transfers. I highly doubt that United would have signed VP to an extension for after 2015/16. Looks like the transfer fee is about £4.25 million, so this is more of a salary dump for United than anything. His incoming transfer was for about £25 million, so for 3 years, his fee was about £7 million a year + wages, which wasn't all that bad seeing how the transfer fees have grown the past couple of years.

Yeah, RVP strictly a wage dump, since his transfer cost will still be on United's books for the year. Last year of the deal anyways so that money was always going to be on the FFP books.

Fenerbache was the rumour for the past ~ 2 months or so, so not surprised.

Only team in a big league that I ever heard associated with him were the 2 Milan teams, and neither has European football this year, so would have been difficult to justify the expense. Neither of those teams I think were serious about RVP, seemed like typical newspaper transfer rumour bs to me.

As for Podolski, Turkey ok landing spot for him, but I think he probably could've got a job on a German team in Europe this year. Seemed like he went for the money though (or will assuming his transfer goes through).

As strange as this sounds, been a quiet transfer period so far as there hasn't been the huge names moving. I'm hoping that Chelsea doesn't wait until the deadline to make moves, but rather in the next couple of weeks so that they can have most if not all of training camp to get comfortable with their new teammates.

EDIT: I guess we need the first big domino to move so that everyone starts to go. Maybe everyone waiting to see what happens with Pogba? Speculation. Not sure who else really could be holding back the dominoes from falling. Sterling? Bale? Don't think either of those 2 actually move.

I don't think Bale goes anywhere, and for the pricing Pool wants, Sterling won't be going anywhere either...IMO. I am still waiting to see what happens with De Gea. I still think United was hoping to get Cech to replace him, but with his move to Arsenal that is out of the question.

As for other moves, I have a feeling Copa America ending will speed up the pace on moves. I don't think teams really wanted to make moves while guys were still playing in that tournament.

I don't think Bale goes anywhere, and for the pricing Pool wants, Sterling won't be going anywhere either...IMO. I am still waiting to see what happens with De Gea. I still think United was hoping to get Cech to replace him, but with his move to Arsenal that is out of the question.

As for other moves, I have a feeling Copa America ending will speed up the pace on moves. I don't think teams really wanted to make moves while guys were still playing in that tournament.

I've always heard Lloris as United's first choice for De Gea's replacement. I'm just hoping they aren't able to hijack Chelsea's signing of Begovic.

I've always heard Lloris as United's first choice for De Gea's replacement. I'm just hoping they aren't able to hijack Chelsea's signing of Begovic.

United still in talks with Stoke over Begovic. Just a few years ago Begovic signed with Stoke over Chelsea because Begovic didn't want to sit behind Cech. If he has the choice, he'll pick United over Chelsea because he will not see the pitch much with Courtois in front of him, maybe a few league Cup matches and that's about it.

United will not give away De Gea to Real, and I think they will get another year out of him rather than accept the insulting offer of £13 million and then let him walk at the end of the year (United is probably seeking something in the £33 million that Juvi paid for Buffon way back in 2001, which still stands as the highest transfer for a keeper). If Begovic is signed and De Gea isn't sold, De Gea will sit the year behind Begovic, count on it. United has offered upwards of £225-250,000 a week to De Gea, but he is getting a lot of pressure from the girlfriend to return to Spain. I might be wrong and could be thinking of another player, but I thought that De Gea grew up disliking Real and if that's the case, I would think he would prefer a move to Barcelona. Can Real wait it out another year? Iker is done and cost Real/Spain a lot of weak goals last year, and sticking with Iker means another trophyless year for Real, IMO, they can't get past Barca with Iker.

I might have been thinking of Butland going to Stoke instead of Chelsea and not Begovic.

They can't get past Barca b/c of Messi, Neymar, and Suarez...the same reason no one else can get by Barca.

Real finished 2 points behind Barca and I think that De Gea can help make up that two point difference, although with a year under their belt, the Messi, Suarez and Neymar trio will be tough to beat. It'll be interesting to see if Rafa can get more out of the players than Ancelotti did.

As amazing as the barca offense is, its the defense that keeps winning the trophies, and keeper i totally agree!

Sure a balanced attack vs one man real helps, but last year alone Barcelona d and keeper only gave up 21 goals in la liga to 38 for madrid. Casillas has been bad for years but pepe and ramos are always good for a gaffe or lazy marking. Im stunned Benitez isnt picking up a better CB to start with Varane and letting Ramos go. Pepe id dump first.

De Gea would be a massive upgrade id pay anything United wanted, no other top team has had a goalie as over the hill as Casillas.

I might have been thinking of Butland going to Stoke instead of Chelsea and not Begovic.

Real finished 2 points behind Barca and I think that De Gea can help make up that two point difference, although with a year under their belt, the Messi, Suarez and Neymar trio will be tough to beat. It'll be interesting to see if Rafa can get more out of the players than Ancelotti did.

Butland did choose Stoke over Chelsea, but it was thought Begovic was going to be sold at the time. Instead, Butland's spent 2 years as a backup/on loan rather than as a starter in the PL.

Begovic has been a Chelsea target for seemingly 5 years (off and on).

just re: De Gea's alligiance's, don't think that's right about him and Real as it seems like I've read that they're his dream for probably his entire time at United (Manch and the rest of MUFC supporters' are probably sick of hearing about that by now).

If the wages you wrote (£225+K/week) are accurate, he'd be the highest paid GK by a mile in all of footy not just the PL. I could be wrong, but I think Iker is the highest paid currently at ~ 150K/wk but Euros not £s.

As amazing as the barca offense is, its the defense that keeps winning the trophies, and keeper i totally agree!

Sure a balanced attack vs one man real helps, but last year alone Barcelona d and keeper only gave up 21 goals in la liga to 38 for madrid. Casillas has been bad for years but pepe and ramos are always good for a gaffe or lazy marking. Im stunned Benitez isnt picking up a better CB to start with Varane and letting Ramos go. Pepe id dump first.

De Gea would be a massive upgrade id pay anything United wanted, no other top team has had a goalie as over the hill as Casillas.

There was a big difference b/w the teams in 2013/4 and 2014/5 as Real had Xabi Alonso and Modric (after Khedira got hurt) manning the gap (with Di Maria essentially a 3rd AM/4th F on that 13/4 team) and in 14/15 having Kroos and whoever was healthy back there (since Modric missed so much time and Khedira was essentially out for the year). James while great on O, is virtually non-existent on D and Ronaldo ain't tracking back for anyone. Bale got all the blame, but really it was their 6 Forward O that should've got the blame as Uncle Carlo couldn't get anything resembling a D out of them last campaign.

If they can sign a guy to plug up the middle and Modric can remain healthy they'll be fine in 15/16. Trick will be convincing James to do some tracking back.

Kroos' signing was a huge mistake for them last year especially after signing James. Only one of the 2 should've been signed since they both should be playing in the 10 hole. That destroyed any semblance of balance they had.

Real probably would've won the league last year if Modric doesn't get hurt. His injury was the most critical for them (even more than James' injury IMO).

Rishi,
Agreed with pretty much all youve said. Trying to turn isco into a d mid 2 years ago, and then Kroos last year did not work. And ronaldo because of his work ethic was often in better defensive position than Bale. Part of thst is CR7 is a monster defensive header on set pieces and is often in his own box to start counter, Bale had poor fundamentals heading so they leave him up top. But Bale wants no part of defense which is odd with his past as a wing back. His effort really bothers me on defense.

Im not sure what dmid is out there to grab but id be surprsed if Kroos plays as much as he did unless they move out Benzema and move cR7 central, with more balance around him.

As you said after modric got hurt they lost the two way shape it was either 3 v 6 on offense or 6 v 3, leaving counter exposed. Ancelotti couldnt figure it out without him, id have benched Bale.

Once again Barcelona has a perfect system for Messi, he runs 1-2 miles less per game, and is therefore fresher for the long season. Madrid im hoping with potential cr7 to center forward stops asking him to run so dang much, put that on the wingers to get back. What more do they want him to do? Ibrahimovich and Van Persie and Eto etc... Never had this much to do. Its why barcelona are the best, perfect system for their personnel that keeps messi and now some other attackers fresher

[QUOTE="Rishi, post: 456813, member: 2970"If the wages you wrote (£225+K/week) are accurate, he'd be the highest paid GK by a mile in all of footy not just the PL. I could be wrong, but I think Iker is the highest paid currently at ~ 150K/wk but Euros not £s.[/QUOTE]

I read that United offered De Gea as much as £250K a WEEK, which is staggering, and even more staggering is that he said no, which tells me that if there is a transfer, then Madrid is going to have to come up matching the £250K a week. If De Gea walks at the end of the year, he might not get that much from Real, so the right move for De Gea would be to sign a five year extension with United at £250K a week, then get sold to Real, forcing Real to match the weekly wages and also come up with a respectable transfer offer. Of course if De Gea walks, United would probably offer De Gea the £250K a week again, thus forcing Real to match, but then Barca or even someone else could sneak in and offer £250-300K a week.

If Real had De Gea this past year, they would have won La Liga, IMO, so they should just make a respectable offer so that they don't have to watch Barca lift all those trophies again.

United is linked to Ramos, which I do not want to see happen. I'd be pissed at a De Gea/Ramos swap.

[QUOTE="Rishi, post: 456813, member: 2970"If the wages you wrote (£225+K/week) are accurate, he'd be the highest paid GK by a mile in all of footy not just the PL. I could be wrong, but I think Iker is the highest paid currently at ~ 150K/wk but Euros not £s.

I read that United offered De Gea as much as £250K a WEEK, which is staggering, and even more staggering is that he said no, which tells me that if there is a transfer, then Madrid is going to have to come up matching the £250K a week. If De Gea walks at the end of the year, he might not get that much from Real, so the right move for De Gea would be to sign a five year extension with United at £250K a week, then get sold to Real, forcing Real to match the weekly wages and also come up with a respectable transfer offer. Of course if De Gea walks, United would probably offer De Gea the £250K a week again, thus forcing Real to match, but then Barca or even someone else could sneak in and offer £250-300K a week.

If Real had De Gea this past year, they would have won La Liga, IMO, so they should just make a respectable offer so that they don't have to watch Barca lift all those trophies again.

United is linked to Ramos, which I do not want to see happen. I'd be pissed at a De Gea/Ramos swap.[/QUOTE]
IMO, the Ramos to United talk is just him and his agent trying to find some leverage in their contract negotiations.

I cant buy that united offered 100 for Bale, and then were declined. Idiotic on both ends if true

Yup, I would be pissed, as 100 million is a defensive mid, a striker and a center D.

Read that PSG offered 137 million for Ronaldo.

I agree that Ramos is using United for leverage, everyone does.

Looks like United signed Bastian Schweinsteiger. Multiyear extension is what I'm not a fan of, but short term will definitely help MUFC.

Unfortunately for United, this means they likely lose out on Morgan Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin is 5 years younger and a much more physically dominant presence in the middle of the pitch. I'm hoping Chelsea makes a move for Morgan, but I suspect he wouldn't sign with Chelsea b/c he wouldn't be a guaranteed starting 11 player whereas he likely would've been with United (maybe not anymore) and Arsenal. Would be a great squad player and likely would play ~ 40 games with Chelsea but maybe only 20ish starts, plus him being homegrown would help with the numbers.

Looks like I was wrong about Schneiderlin as it's been reported that he too signed with United. Going to be interested to see who United sell now as they've got a lot of "extra" players. It's one thing to have depth, it's another to have huge contracts on the bench who never play. That's going to happen to 2-3 players at United if they aren't able to sell them.

Looks like I was wrong about Schneiderlin as it's been reported that he too signed with United. Going to be interested to see who United sell now as they've got a lot of "extra" players. It's one thing to have depth, it's another to have huge contracts on the bench who never play. That's going to happen to 2-3 players at United if they aren't able to sell them.

Ya, and they've just dumped about £700K is wages this past month or so. I would like to see Di Maria shipped to PSG to free up transfer fees for a CD, S and K. Getting the Sch's is outstanding, Felaini just about has no where to play and he was outstanding last year. Herrera should excel with the help he has now.

Gotta say I like the new Arsenal away kit--a LOT.

m74756890_ms

Just read that Vidal is going to Bayern for €35M. Great move for Bayern IMO and very happy he's not going to Arsenal. I'm guessing Timmy is smiling uncontrollably after he read about the transfer.

I'm a big Vidal fan. Thought he was awesome Chile in the Copa America, and his prowess at Juve was already well documented. Didn't really think he was coming to Arsenal, as AW is convinced (perhaps rightly) that his midfield is deep enough, but I was hoping...

IMO, if we weren't gonna get Shneiderlen, we needed him.

No one really left to go after at DM other than William Carvalho, but he's out for 3 months w/a stress fracture in his tibia, so can't imagine AW will go after him now.

Coquelin is great IMO, and I fully expect he'll continue his great form from last season, but Arteta as his backup is unacceptable if Francis goes down to injury.

I'm hoping that Javi Martinez of Bayern is made available now. I know that Pep wants to play him at CD, but he is one of the best DM in the world and Bayern was awesome in 2013 with Martinez and Schweinsteiger running the middle of the pitch. That was a virtually perfect double pivot - pretty much what everyone wants when running a 4-2-3-1.

I'm hoping that Javi Martinez of Bayern is made available now. I know that Pep wants to play him at CD, but he is one of the best DM in the world and Bayern was awesome in 2013 with Martinez and Schweinsteiger running the middle of the pitch. That was a virtually perfect double pivot - pretty much what everyone wants when running a 4-2-3-1.

Rishi and guys, what do you think of Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger both playing that defensive minded game out on the pitch together? Does that allow United to open it more up top, with Schneiderlin playing more of an offensive role, much like Carrick does.

Wow...Mexico wins after converting a last-minute aet OT gift penalty vs. Costa Rica in the Gold Cup quarters. Officials had been letting both sides play the whole match and then that call??

Reactions: seminoleed
Rishi and guys, what do you think of Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger both playing that defensive minded game out on the pitch together? Does that allow United to open it more up top, with Schneiderlin playing more of an offensive role, much like Carrick does.

I guessing you meant Defensive role like Carrick. I think that's definitely what he'll be asked to do. Bastian will probably be more of a typical box-to-box (Lampard type, but better defensively) role with what United looks to be doing. I'm assuming more of a 4-2-3-1 look with Depay on the Left, Herrera in the 10 and Mata on the Right cutting in. Could reshape that same "midfield 5" to make it a 4-3-3 with Herrera dropping deeper to play CM along with Schweinsteiger and Carrick/Schneiderlin holding up in the middle.

I think what'll be really interesting is if they play both Carrick and Schneiderlin as a double pivot against teams with stronger midfields eg. the Arsenals, Chelseas, Citys and UCL big boys how will the team adapt to going forward. I could definitely see those 2 playing in those games with Schweinsteiger in the 10 or even a 4-3-3 setup with Bastian being the one to drop deeper. Definitely won't be as easy to control the middle of the park against United this year with Schneiderlin there (I'm a big fan of his).

I guess I'm interested to see who's going to orchestrate the O, Schweinsteiger or Mata? If Mata plays the 10 at all, he could be back to his Chelsea (pre-Mourinho) form with the weapons that United has assembled. That's assuming that Rooney doesn't fall off the planet in terms of his form and that Depay has a "normal" adjustment and not a "looks great 1 week, terrible the next 3 weeks" type EPL indoctrination.

Also, not sure if United with play a high line and pressing system, b/c if they do, Mata isn't the best in that system -> doesn't have the gas tank or natural inclination to do it. In moments, sure he can, but not over the larger portion of a match or campaign (hence the reason he's not at Chelsea).

Wow...Mexico wins after converting a last-minute aet OT gift penalty vs. Costa Rica in the Gold Cup quarters. Officials had been letting both sides play the whole match and then that call??

GIft isn't the word for it; travesty is more appropriate. And the player who took the dive should have been straight rec-carded earlier for the scissors kick he used. Thought the Costa Rica coach was very classy in not questioning the call; Lord knows, I couldn't have been in his position.

I guessing you meant Defensive role like Carrick. I think that's definitely what he'll be asked to do. Bastian will probably be more of a typical box-to-box (Lampard type, but better defensively) role with what United looks to be doing. I'm assuming more of a 4-2-3-1 look with Depay on the Left, Herrera in the 10 and Mata on the Right cutting in. Could reshape that same "midfield 5" to make it a 4-3-3 with Herrera dropping deeper to play CM along with Schweinsteiger and Carrick/Schneiderlin holding up in the middle.

I think what'll be really interesting is if they play both Carrick and Schneiderlin as a double pivot against teams with stronger midfields eg. the Arsenals, Chelseas, Citys and UCL big boys how will the team adapt to going forward. I could definitely see those 2 playing in those games with Schweinsteiger in the 10 or even a 4-3-3 setup with Bastian being the one to drop deeper. Definitely won't be as easy to control the middle of the park against United this year with Schneiderlin there (I'm a big fan of his).

I guess I'm interested to see who's going to orchestrate the O, Schweinsteiger or Mata? If Mata plays the 10 at all, he could be back to his Chelsea (pre-Mourinho) form with the weapons that United has assembled. That's assuming that Rooney doesn't fall off the planet in terms of his form and that Depay has a "normal" adjustment and not a "looks great 1 week, terrible the next 3 weeks" type EPL indoctrination.

Also, not sure if United with play a high line and pressing system, b/c if they do, Mata isn't the best in that system -> doesn't have the gas tank or natural inclination to do it. In moments, sure he can, but not over the larger portion of a match or campaign (hence the reason he's not at Chelsea).

Rishi, ya, that's what I was asking. LvG has so many options now, it's tough to even try to figure out which way he is gonna go. First, Di Maria needs to be sold out, it appeared to me that he just didn't want to be there last year, and with the stockpile of wingers that LvG has, he makes the most sense to leave and get some cash back for him. I doubt Real would take him back, but I have heard Di Maria for Bale come up enough, with both teams losing what they paid for each player.

Heard a rumor this morning that United has offered some ungodly amount, like 100 million, for Muller. After Schweinsteiger, that would be quite the coup. How long before He Who Talks Worse Than Ol' Whisky Nose ruins him as well?

I can't believe ManU is seriously thinking of selling Angel Di Maria to PSG. I really can't. Unless there is some sort of genuine conflict between he and LVG, I don't see how you give up on him after only one year. He's one of the 10 best footballers in the world, IMO...at the very least easily one of the 10 best attacking footballers. You just don't get that many cracks at that level of player.

That said, I hope they sell him! :)

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT