Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Retained and wife takes fall

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Retained and AD takes fall

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Other (please add your scenario)

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
I didn't know about the politician part, and honestly didn't know about the wrestling case until one article either. But ALL the skeletons will start to fall out. Hadn't heard of the diving coach either.

Completely agree on the sentiment. NCAA has always focused on the low hanging fruit and don't seem to really understand how to run an investigation into issues that matter with severity. Perhaps they do understand if they bite the hand that feeds them too may times, the hand will go away.

This story isnt going away, and if he isnt fired it will be a storyline every game OSU plays.

And didnt get that bad? ALmost the entire last hour of sportscenter has been on this topic.

Guess we will see. Since I can't sleep I did a little research. Watching the 0200 sports center now and it took them 10 minutes to actually get into this story and it was more about proving urbie may not have been totally forthcoming and disproving the wife beaters statement. Oh they also covered how osu had their best practice ever and paul finniebaum gave his useless thoughts. They spent about 10 minutes on the whole story.

ABC news has nothing on their website; they do have a story abiout how lebron and trump don't like each other and one about lotto winners.

NBC news has a story about urbies released statement if you scroll down about 1/2 of their page. Their 1st sports story is about the UFC.

CBS about the same as NBC
FOX news about the same but their 1st story is about Corey Booker crying because Trump sucks so much.

IMO urbie survives and in a couple weeks it will be all about playing games. Don't get me wrong urbie is a really bad guy; but to many people on here are looking at this from a personal dislike of urbie; which he deserves. This is osu and they are not getting rid of urbie unless this goes national and the pressure really ramps up. Best guess the AD goes, osu does a national mea culpa, urbie talks about how he is re-evaluating his leadership/mentoring and the wife gets paid off. We will see and if I am wrong I will be the first to admit it.

Guess we will see. Since I can't sleep I did a little research. Watching the 0200 sports center now and it took them 10 minutes to actually get into this story and it was more about proving urbie may not have been totally forthcoming and disproving the wife beaters statement. Oh they also covered how osu had their best practice ever and paul finniebaum gave his useless thoughts. They spent about 10 minutes on the whole story.

ABC news has nothing on their website; they do have a story abiout how lebron and trump don't like each other and one about lotto winners.

NBC news has a story about urbies released statement if you scroll down about 1/2 of their page. Their 1st sports story is about the UFC.

FOX news about the same but their 1st story is about Corey Booker crying because Trump sucks so much.

IMO urbie survives and in a couple weeks it will be all about playing games. Don't get me wrong urbie is a really bad guy; but to many people on here are looking at this from a personal dislike of urbie; which he deserves. This is osu and they are not getting rid of urbie unless this goes national and the pressure really ramps up. Best guess the AD goes, osu does a national mea culpa, urbie talks about how he is re-evaluating his leadership/mentoring and the wife gets paid off. We will see and if I am wrong I will be the first to admit it.

Those arent sports websites. This is a huge sports story, but I dont know it is a huge political or news story.

https://www.cnn.com/search/?q=urban+meyer
CNN has had stories on it since it broke.

https://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=urban meyer
ABC has stories since it broke.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pages/search/?q=urban+meyer

ANd NBC. i am just not sure what you are expecting. ESPN covers sports, and they covered it for hours. The other networks have covered it, like I have linked, but they arent just sports channels. Of course other things will get attention. The top story on ABC is about the missing University of Iowa student, which is in the real world a mucher bigger deal than whether a guy who coaches a game will be fired or not. I would much rather know whether she is found safe or not, than I care about Urban Meyer getting fired at OSU. ANd I think most news outlets would be on that tip more than what happens to a coach of a game. I am sorry, but politics and news in general, is always going to take precident over sports stories, outside of obviously a Penn St situation.

Nytimes has had articles about it since it broke too.
https://www.nytimes.com/search?query=urban meyer

ANd here is where the NYtimes had a whole article about Meyer at Florida.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/...y-arrested-at-florida-in-the-meyer-years.html

Last edited:
Those arent sports websites. This is a huge sports story, but I dont know it is a huge political or news story.

https://www.cnn.com/search/?q=urban+meyer
CNN has had stories on it since it broke.

https://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=urban meyer
ABC has stories since it broke.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pages/search/?q=urban+meyer

ANd NBC. i am just not sure what you are expecting. ESPN covers sports, and they covered it for hours. The other networks have covered it, like I have linked, but they arent just sports channels. Of course other things will get attention. The top story on ABC is about the missing University of Iowa student, which is in the real world a mucher bigger deal than whether a guy who coaches a game will be fired or not. I would much rather know whether she is found safe or not, than I care about Urban Meyer getting fired at OSU. ANd I think most news outlets would be on that tip more than what happens to a coach of a game. I am sorry, but politics and news in general, is always going to take precident over sports stories, outside of obviously a Penn St situation.

Nytimes has had articles about it since it broke too.
https://www.nytimes.com/search?query=urban meyer

ANd here is where the NYtimes had a whole article about Meyer at Florida.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/...y-arrested-at-florida-in-the-meyer-years.html

I guess we will see. Hopefully you are correct and urbie gets what he has had coming for a while. I just think he survives. I don't have much faith in how justice is handed out when the person is protected.

I guess we will see. Hopefully you are correct and urbie gets what he has had coming for a while. I just think he survives. I don't have much faith in how justice is handed out when the person is protected.

I dont think he does, but if he does, it isnt do to the media. The media covers and reports stuff, they have no hiring/firing power. But if he coaches at OSU again, I actually think it becomes an even bigger story about how college coaches are so out of touch, and even make the NCAA answer some really tough questions. THis isnt Penn state, but at the same time, tolerating this would be a huge story after Penn State. I can't possibly see how he survives this.

Reactions: noleclone2
I dont think he does, but if he does, it isnt do to the media. The media covers and reports stuff, they have no hiring/firing power. But if he coaches at OSU again, I actually think it becomes an even bigger story about how college coaches are so out of touch, and even make the NCAA answer some really tough questions. THis isnt Penn state, but at the same time, tolerating this would be a huge story after Penn State. I can't possibly see how he survives this.

You are making more out of this than is really there. Comparing this to psu isn't realistic. That was a serial case of pedophilia; not a single case of failing to report domestic abuse. Sure urbie is a bad guy who over his career has covered up a bunch of stuff; but you are not going to get the same level of outrage from that as psu and pedophilia. Kind of why I make the comment about looking at this through those that know urbie/FSU fans vs/ the rest of the world.

Unfortunately I think you have predicted the outcome exactly. Chinless One escapes again!!

I see it this way. He will escape but the media will finally expose his past. Still not sure how the attempted murder story did not become huge deal when Aaron murdered people later. If you want to see UF uncomfortably put through ringer, Urban staying might be better outcome.

Reactions: WeatheredWarrior
I know we all think urbie is a bad guy; but what about his wife? You get pictures like that, get told things like that from another woman and do nothing? Even if what is being said about her; she is bi-polar, alcoholic, etc. is true how do you stand by when a man is beating up his wife?
I know I have made comments about owning your screw ups and lying on here; but it is funny I knew urbie was full of crap and would be bad news before he ever coached a game at uf.
When he was hired he was the hot coach nd and uf wanted him bad. He took the uf job and said something like this " uf has been my dream job". Now I knew he had ties to nd and osu but nothing to uf. My thought was you could say any number of things to show your happiness about getting the uf job; but "dream job". I knew the guy was full of it right then.

I voted other but do think the AD takes the fall with a nice check and some sweet job to cover his losses. I think urbie gets like a 4 game unpaid suspension with the salary loss going to a domestic violence group. osu would much rather have a 9-4 or so season this year, keep urbie and have to deal with the bad press than have to find someone to replace him. I think the guy is a pure scum bag but he can coach/recruit. They will get a singular message and spew that without deviation. Expect urbies wife to be by his side as well and the woman who was a abused to get a big check to keep quiet. The ja%%% who beat his wife is already covering for urbie so things will fall into place real soon. By the way if you think uf could hide, pay off and cover things up wait till you see how good osu is at it.

I voted other but do think the AD takes the fall with a nice check and some sweet job to cover his losses. I think urbie gets like a 4 game unpaid suspension with the salary loss going to a domestic violence group. osu would much rather have a 9-4 or so season this year, keep urbie and have to deal with the bad press than have to find someone to replace him. I think the guy is a pure scum bag but he can coach/recruit. They will get a singular message and spew that without deviation. Expect urbies wife to be by his side as well and the woman who was a abused to get a big check to keep quiet. The ja%%% who beat his wife is already covering for urbie so things will fall into place real soon. By the way if you think uf could hide, pay off and cover things up wait till you see how good osu is at it.

This is legit. But I think he broke the cardinal rule—you are not bigger than the program. If he had stayed quiet and let the university figure out their fall guy or gall, he would keep his job. But throwing the university and AD under the bus probably is his death knell

For anyone interested, a rally has been organized to support Urban and it will be held in the next few days at OSU..

I’m glad the media is hot on the trail now, but where were they the past 10 years?

I think they’re embarrassed they bought into the Urban holier than thou BS and are going to make up for it this time around.

I’m glad the media is hot on the trail now, but where were they the past 10 years?

I think they’re embarrassed they bought into the Urban holier than thou BS and are going to make up for it this time around.

I dunno it doesn't seem like the media is hot on the trail; except maybe some print/internet stuff. Everything I have seen on espn/sc lately is about his statement and how good practice has been. No mention of anything at uf other than the 2009 incident. Admittedly I haven't seen much media other the sc and some articles I read.
I will say this the rally to support urbie is a terrible idea and may change the outcome. urbie can survive as long as this stays sports media focused; but if it goes national I may change my opinion.
I also don't think the sports media bought into the holier than thou bs; I just don't think they cared. urbie was a hot commodity and helped ratings that was all they cared about. Which is interesting since based on how espn has structured their line up lately it doesn't seem like they care about ratings as much anymore.

I remember Penn State students rallying to support Joe Paterno too.

Very Penn-state like. Paterno didn’t do the diddling, but he knew about it and was happy to employ those who did. The Ohio State supports The Abuse of a Wife. A platform the State can get around. Way to go guys. These people are warped.

Very Penn-state like. Paterno didn’t do the diddling, but he knew about it and was happy to employ those who did. The Ohio State supports The Abuse of a Wife. A platform the State can get around. Way to go guys. These people are warped.
I wonder if the rally is university supported. That would be a very bad look for them IMO.

I wonder if the rally is university supported. That would be a very bad look for them IMO.

I wouldn't think so. Surely they are smart enough to stay silent and conduct an investigation in private. Local mob mentality brings nothing to a nationally exposed issue.

Where is Rolling Stone on the subject, they seem to like to jump before looking.

I dont know what you mean by a litmus test. The story broke 2 days ago and has had coverage around the clock. That is how media works, so I dont understand the "litmus" aspect to it. IF this story broken labor day weekend with games going on, it would also get a ton of coverage. And sure, this time of year baseball is about the only thing going on, and obviously other things will be covered when the season gets closer, but covering other things doesnt equate to this story going away.
Litmus test is a standard. Your standard is very low (sports enter during the dog days of summer with MLB regular season and a couple NFL holdouts as your only leads). Pretty simple to say it's not that bad. Nowhere near other recent cfb scandals...closer to the attention Nasser got with Michigan State.

Given the wrestling scandal AD is gone for sure.

I'm not going to cast stones about fans because plenty of fsu fans have defended poor actions.

If what Urban said last is true, and he reported the abuse up the ladder, there are two possible scenarios -
The Ohio State investigated and decided the allegations were true, but not serious enough to fire Smith.
The Ohio State didn't investigate because they thought the legal system would sort it out.

Physical abuse is horrible and should not be tolerated. That said, at what point should the university act when the victim has, up to that point, not followed through with law enforcement? There's clearly a lot of he-said she-said going on here as well.

I don't think Meyer should be fired over hiring Smith, or lying to the media. I applaud Meyer for firing Smith when charges were brought, even though those charges seem a little harsh if what is being reported is true.

I do think if Urban keeps his job, he gets no more chances on how he handles players or coaches getting into trouble.

What I'm wondering is why didn't Urbie talk to the wife to smooth things over and make everything disappear like he did when Aaron Hernandez punched a restaurant manager and ruptured his ear drum? That approach seemed to have worked out well for everybody. Urbie saw his career continue until faking a medical problem so he could bail on a sinking ship for a better job, the restaurant manager got paid off by UF, Aaron went on to do great things, including killing a murderer ...

If what Urban said last is true, and he reported the abuse up the ladder, there are two possible scenarios -
The Ohio State investigated and decided the allegations were true, but not serious enough to fire Smith.
The Ohio State didn't investigate because they thought the legal system would sort it out.

Physical abuse is horrible and should not be tolerated. That said, at what point should the university act when the victim has, up to that point, not followed through with law enforcement? There's clearly a lot of he-said she-said going on here as well.

I don't think Meyer should be fired over hiring Smith, or lying to the media. I applaud Meyer for firing Smith when charges were brought, even though those charges seem a little harsh if what is being reported is true.

I do think if Urban keeps his job, he gets no more chances on how he handles players or coaches getting into trouble.

She did go to police several times didn't she? Police didn't follow through, but that's not necessarily uncommon.

That is a valid question however as to what to do when police investigate and decline to press charges. In some ways, I don't want Universities or companies trying to do investigative work. That's the duty of the police. I would like to see us start pressuring police to stop screwing up their investigations however.

What I'm wondering is why didn't Urbie talk to the wife to smooth things over and make everything disappear like he did when Aaron Hernandez punched a restaurant manager and ruptured his ear drum? That approach seemed to have worked out well for everybody. Urbie saw his career continue until faking a medical problem so he could bail on a sinking ship for a better job, the restaurant manager got paid off by UF, Aaron went on to do great things, including killing a murderer ...

Reportedly, that is what he did in the first event back in 2009--pressured her not to pursue charges because that would mean he would be out of a job, etc.

Whatever the excuses or justifications, this was Meyer protecting a connected assistant coach. Nobody wanted to know anything, so nobody asked too many questions. Easier that way, until now.

This is one of the reasons I think he stays. If urbie hid it then he is done, but it seems like he said something to the AD. The stuff that happened at uf doesn't matter here. If they had stuff that showed urbie lied or hid stuff then sure he is gone; but if it hasn't surfaced by now then they don't have something that they can fire him about.
My only hope is that this gets a few actual journalists looking into urbie and his history; but I won't hold my breath.

This is one of the reasons I think he stays. If urbie hid it then he is done, but it seems like he said something to the AD. The stuff that happened at uf doesn't matter here. If they had stuff that showed urbie lied or hid stuff then sure he is gone; but if it hasn't surfaced by now then they don't have something that they can fire him about.
My only hope is that this gets a few actual journalists looking into urbie and his history; but I won't hold my breath.

And yet, JoePa tried that "I told the AD" excuse, too. Yeah, it's a damned different topic, and every head was going to roll, but in this era of Me-Too I'm not sure it'll fly.

And yet, JoePa tried that "I told the AD" excuse, too. Yeah, it's a damned different topic, and every head was going to roll, but in this era of Me-Too I'm not sure it'll fly.
Agreed but there is a big difference between serial pedophilia and a failure to fire/report 1 guy for domestic abuse. I think to many people are wrapped around the urbie thing and the "me too" movement.
I have my thoughts about the "me too" movement, but generally I think it is a good thing; the problem is it is more politically motivated than trying to fix a real problem. I will leave it at that so we can stay on topic.

What about about the 23,000+ who signed a petition in support of Urban Meyer?

I know we're not supposed to judge, but good gravy, that's the biggest FUPA I've ever seen.

Dj8lGgxXsAYvzog.jpg:large

If he was an average coach they'd let him go. He's good at what he does. As such, he stays. Winners do not get fired.

Reactions: RangerNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT