Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Retained and wife takes fall

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Retained and AD takes fall

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Other (please add your scenario)

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
If he was an average coach they'd let him go. He's good at what he does. As such, he stays. Winners do not get fired.
Yep like it or not there are layers of justice based on who you are, how good you are at your job, how much money you have etc. Even if they have the goods to fire him it is very expensive so they will likely do their best to keep him. Not to mention like him or not he is a great coach with a team that has a very good chance to win a title this year.

Reactions: Random_John
I personally feel this article doesn’t carry that much weight since it was written out of Florida.

If it were written by a respected reporter out of Ohio, or had quotes from Tebow himself...I don’t see it holding much weight in the grand scheme of things.
Don't hold your breath on that one. Just as Florida reporters never saw anything at uf; the same is true in Ohio and osu.

Reactions: cmanole
I see it this way. He will escape but the media will finally expose his past. Still not sure how the attempted murder story did not become huge deal when Aaron murdered people later. If you want to see UF uncomfortably put through ringer, Urban staying might be better outcome.

I dont care about people or institutions being put through the ringer. I care about things like this being cleaned up. What does putting UF through the ringer do at this point? Meyer is gone, FOley is gone, etc. It would essentially be trying to punish people who had nothing to do with it. I already posted the NYT article about FLorida under Meyer after the Hernandez murder, so that has already been covered anyway. I just want to see coaches held to the same standard as players, and honestly, to even a higher standard since they are paid millions and are actually the adults.

I don't care about people or institutions being put through the ringer. I care about things like this being cleaned up. What does putting UF through the ringer do at this point? Meyer is gone, Foley is gone, etc. It would essentially be trying to punish people who had nothing to do with it. I already posted the NYT article about Florida under Meyer after the Hernandez murder, so that has already been covered anyway. I just want to see coaches held to the same standard as players, and honestly, to even a higher standard since they are paid millions and are actually the adults.
Isn't that true about almost every NCAA investigation and punishment? I agree that under the current system players who had nothing to do with the infraction take the brunt of the punishment and that's not right. I've always been a proponent of hitting the offending institution with severe financial penalties.
After the fact penalties are designed to act as a deterrent in the future. If uf was complicit by looking the other way when meyer was there, they should not be able to just skate.

I figured something was up when her parents seemingly blew all the allegations off and was unwilling to help her through the ordeal.Then to come out and publicly support the alleged abuser over her own daughter? Maybe its one messed up family but that's a pretty big blow to her allegations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured something was up when her parents seemingly blew all the allegations off and was unwilling to help her through the ordeal.Then to come out and publicly support the alleged abuser over her own daughter? Maybe its one messed up family but that's a pretty big blow to her allegations.
wonder if there is any budget left for the osu recruits this cycle?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
This would hardly be the first time that a family has disbelieved their own daughter when they make claims of abuse. I've seen it a lot. If Zach is truly a narcissist, then he's good at gaslighting everyone.

IT's looking more and more like there's two sides to this story. While Zach is certainly no angel, and a pretty miserable guy, Courtney seems to have a few issues of her own. Hell hath no fury....

Now it’s coming out that smith had a DUI back in ‘13.. that was pleaded down.. McMurphy tweets the the judge is an OSU grad and presidents club member at the university.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and DanC78
Now it’s coming out that smith had a DUI back in ‘13.. that was pleaded down.. McMurphy tweets the the judge is an OSU grad and presidents club member at the university.
If it was his first, I am not sure how uncommon this is. Pleading down also, would mean the prosecutor agreed to it. He seems like trash, but I'm not sure anything erroneous happened with this.

If it was his first, I am not sure how uncommon this is. Pleading down also, would mean the prosecutor agreed to it. He seems like trash, but I'm not sure anything erroneous happened with this.

I agree. Just another strike against his character

Reactions: runkpanole
Thing is, meyer fired him for something. If he's as innocent as he claiming, wouldn't you expect some kind of wrongful termination lawsuit since his career coaching at that level is probably over now?

It's not just coming out, Courtney Smith is making it come out. This really seems more and more like she's trying to ruin Zach Smith and Urban Meyer any way she can.

It's not just coming out, Courtney Smith is making it come out. This really seems more and more like she's trying to ruin Zach Smith and Urban Meyer any way she can.
Meyer is doing that on his own. It could all be the truth or all be lies, none of that changes the fact that Urban Meyer himself stood up in front of the media and knowingly and intentionally lied about his knowledge of the situation.

This is what gaslighting looks like.

I never did anything wrong, I'm the victim, you're making this all up...

Isn't that true about almost every NCAA investigation and punishment? I agree that under the current system players who had nothing to do with the infraction take the brunt of the punishment and that's not right. I've always been a proponent of hitting the offending institution with severe financial penalties.
After the fact penalties are designed to act as a deterrent in the future. If uf was complicit by looking the other way when meyer was there, they should not be able to just skate.

It seems the NCAA is more interested in punishing coaches and players these days though. If a coach does something wrong, they typically lose their job and for the most part cant coach for a certain period, or a player is declared ineligible. But the institution itself typically isnt punished, or if they are it is a slap on the wrist. I mean, OSU is the perfect example. Tressel was punished, but the school was able to hire another great coach and win a national title within a couple years of that.

And it is also kind of a stupid business model to punish institutions, because it is a good way to run off big fan bases and make things less interesting in big rivalry games and things of that nature.

Reactions: fsUTampa
It seems the NCAA is more interested in punishing coaches and players these days though. If a coach does something wrong, they typically lose their job and for the most part cant coach for a certain period, or a player is declared ineligible. But the institution itself typically isnt punished, or if they are it is a slap on the wrist. I mean, OSU is the perfect example. Tressel was punished, but the school was able to hire another great coach and win a national title within a couple years of that.

And it is also kind of a stupid business model to punish institutions, because it is a good way to run off big fan bases and make things less interesting in big rivalry games and things of that nature.
Attendance may be down but the chances of running off a fan base like Ohio state is slim to none. If anything they rally with more gusto.

Attendance may be down but the chances of running off a fan base like Ohio state is slim to none. If anything they rally with more gusto.

I think it would depend on the extent of how they are punished, and I am not suggesting the fan base would be done forever. But regardless, it just doesnt make sense to me to punish people who had nothing to do with it, and it doesnt make sense to me to intentionally hurt the product. Because keep in mind, it wouldnt just be the specific school that is affected. The Michigan-OSU for instance, is a huge game obviously, that garners national attention outside of the two fan bases. But, is anyone really going to care if one team is severely short handed? Probably not. Granted, there are times that one team is just better and those types of big games arent great, but at least wasnt done intentionally.

That’s exactly what you suggested.

No, it isnt. If a team is put on some sort of severe probation that hurts the quality of the team, then people will obviously lose interest. It happens all the time when teams have down years. I never said they wouldnt be back when probation was over and they were back to normal again. So the point, is why does it make sense from a business perspective to do that?

Meyer has also defended himself, claiming he knew of the 2015 incident, reported it through the proper channels and accidentally lied about it during the Big Ten Media Days.

By definition, there is no such thing as an accidental lie. Urban is a liar.
Lying at every level is the new normal. People don't even care who's lying. Do you think even one OSU fan, student or alum gives one poo about Urban lying? If your cult leader lies you go along. Period. That's the way it is today...

Last edited:
Lying at every level is the new normal. People don't even care who's lying. Do you think even one OSU fan, student or alum gives one poo about Urban lying? If your cult leader dies you go along. Period. That's the way it is today...

Sports are weird like that, and I actually think college fan bases are worse than pro fan bases in this regard, though it certainly applies to both. But, if Meyer were at another Big 10 school and this was happening, not a single OSU fan would defend him. And vice versa, whatever school he was with, those fans would probably be defending him just like OSU fans. And I dont get it. It is one thing to have some level of bias, but it is completely another thing to be completely hypocritical.

Sports are weird like that, and I actually think college fan bases are worse than pro fan bases in this regard, though it certainly applies to both. But, if Meyer were at another Big 10 school and this was happening, not a single OSU fan would defend him. And vice versa, whatever school he was with, those fans would probably be defending him just like OSU fans. And I dont get it. It is one thing to have some level of bias, but it is completely another thing to be completely hypocritical.
There is absolutely no question that pro fan bases are exponentially worse than college fan bases. It's not remotely close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT