ADVERTISEMENT

Westworld

Couple little things. Anyone else think the photo the "dad" found looms weird? The face seems to be photoshoped on.

Was watching Pale Rider last night and one of the bad guys said the young girl she looked "juicy as a fresh water clam". Edit - that was also in Episode 3.

Last edited:
The cofounder, Anthony, or whatever the persons name was...anyone think that is Ed Harris?

Not sure how anyone could stay there for 30 years at 40k a day.

Didn't see much episode 3 discussion.

Story is really moving along. I like that Deloris is changing, is Bernard helping her or trying to find some link to bring his son back?

I also found it interesting that now Deloris' story is changing. She was able to pull that trigger and kill the other Host in the barn. Also what did we see with Teddy and the new guest in the desert? I am not sure I am following what is going on here.

I love the western feel and look of these scenes. The whole show is well done and very captivating.

This show has exceeded my expectations, I think its because its a true sci-fi show that is not afraid to be just that. I hope its captivates as many people as it does me because I would like to see a nice long run based on what we've been given so far.

The cofounder, Anthony, or whatever the persons name was...anyone think that is Ed Harris?

Not sure how anyone could stay there for 30 years at 40k a day.

I was wondering the same thing about the MiB = Arnold. But his quest for the maze... if he was a founder wouldn't he know about this maze thing? And what exactly is it that some random kid host know about it. Unless it was put in after Arnold "died".

And Delores being able to jump the programming and use the gun. Thought that was interesting when the guard and programmer commented about only 1 in the posse could use the axe so they were stuck in a loop. Then home slice host decides to hit/push the guard and commit suicide. Bet he gets retired.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I will say this, every time the people sit down with the hosts in the chairs and have their little chats, I'm convinced one will reach out and snatch them up. Evan Rachael Wood (Dolores), she does such an amazing job at making her face so stoic and unnatural during her conversations with Bernard. You really forget she is a person cause it looks so robotic, which also adds to the "you better restrain them, they gonna snatch you up here shortly".

I will say this, every time the people sit down with the hosts in the chairs and have their little chats, I'm convinced one will reach out and snatch them up. Evan Rachael Wood (Dolores), she does such an amazing job at making her face so stoic and unnatural during her conversations with Bernard. You really forget she is a person cause it looks so robotic, which also adds to the "you better restrain them, they gonna snatch you up here shortly".

I have the same feeling watching the meetings between the programmers and the hosts. It seems inevitably dangerous.

I think Jimmi Simpson's character is a flashback to 30 years ago in Westworld, and he turns out to be the MIB.

I think Jimmi Simpson's character is a flashback to 30 years ago in Westworld, and he turns out to be the MIB.

My wife said the same thing after Episode 2. I was watching closely, and there was nothing in Episode 3 to indicate that she was wrong. I didn't see any continuity issues that would have indicated that he wasn't present in a flashback. I thought that it was telling that they made a big deal of his virtuous nature and he picking a "white hat" for his wardrobe.

Wait, you think the guy from Its Always Sunny is Ed Harris? That we are seeing flashbacks to when he was young?

He's the guy that just arrived in episode 2, and chose the white hat, and his buddy is kind of an a-hole. At the end of episode 3, he's the one who catches Dolores when she passes out. He seems to be a good guy, not interested in the sexual percs of the park. I think his character's name is William.

And what about the devilish looking host the girl saw...that would have freaked me the hell out!

I just don't see it but an interesting theory. With 7 more episodes left it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
The only reason that I keep thinking about him being in flashback, is that when that character's story is on, the tone of his story is different than what I would perceive as being "present day" in the park. I agree it's a stretch theory, but something just seems off about his story.

one particularl thing that throws me off with the whole concept, is the resting of the host.

How often does this happen? Did I miss this part?

It appears that the host reset every 24 hours, no?

one particularl thing that throws me off with the whole concept, is the resting of the host.

How often does this happen? Did I miss this part?

It appears that the host reset every 24 hours, no?
It is hard to say, but maybe just an average sleep wake schedule for their role.

Reactions: DanC78

I am guessing they have mannequins painted up like the actors for some of that effect.
But you are right there is some very good acting done on this show.

From one of my initial thoughts on this show, I wondered if they would portray Ford with having empathy for his creations and possibly starting this virus. But when he took the scalpel and cut one of their faces while saying these are not human it appears at this time that is not the case.

I fell asleep during some of this episode and will have to watch 3 again to see what I missed.

Maybe there is something to William/MIB being the same. Wonder if they aren't doing concurrent story lines with flashback sequencing?

I really believe that this is the case. I thought that it all appeared a little different, but couldn't put my finger on it.

As far as who planted the "virus," I think that this is all Bernard's doing. He mourns the loss of his son and wants to create a lifelike version. He is trying to develop true artificial intelligence so that he can make a true to life copy of his son.

I still cannot get a sense for how long the host adventures last. Are they different for each situation?

Did they say it cost 40K a day?

They did say it was 40k a day.

And this was the point to my question above. How long does the experience last? I would want a seamless experience where all the host remembered all my interactions with them at all times. It would get old having the same dude come up and ask you if you wanted to go find the same bad guys everyday. Which makes me wonder how anyone could stay there for 30 freaking years. I would think a week would do it for me.

And this was the point to my question above. How long does the experience last? I would want a seamless experience where all the host remembered all my interactions with them at all times. It would get old having the same dude come up and ask you if you wanted to go find the same bad guys everyday. Which makes me wonder how anyone could stay there for 30 freaking years. I would think a week would do it for me.

I think he said he had been coming to visit the park for 30 years not that he had been in the park for 30 years.

Still a valid point - seems like a lot of time to be dealing with repetitive situations / hosts.

This show has exceeded my expectations, I think its because its a true sci-fi show that is not afraid to be just that. I hope its captivates as many people as it does me because I would like to see a nice long run based on what we've been given so far.

Agreed. Think they spent 7-8 yrs writing Season 1 and $100M production. Away from my laptop but I think that was two headlines I read earlier.

Curious about this too. How often are the host memories "reset"? Also, it would make more sense if a group of guests all arrived and departed at the same time. If guests are coming and going to/from the park every day, that would seem to create a disjointed mess.

Do we know if the guests have real bullets?
Could a guest on an outlaw fantasy be killed by a guest on a hero fantasy by accident? With the two not knowing the other was a guest?

Do we know if the guests have real bullets?
Could a guest on an outlaw fantasy be killed by a guest on a hero fantasy by accident? With the two not knowing the other was a guest?

I don't think they are real. The Host who greeted the one guy said when asked are the guns real "Real enough, you can't shoot anything your not supposed to"

Reactions: DanC78 and ParNole
'Dissonance Theory' was great. This show just keeps paying off.

Thoroughly enjoyed the scene with Maeve and Hector. The bullet. The Shade. None of this matters.

The Maeve "drawings" scene about The Shade was fantastic.

The scene with Dr. Ford and Cullen.

The very short conversation between the guest and the MiB.

The MiB's conversation with Lawrence before meeting Armistice when he explicitly mentions Arnold.

Elsie speaking her mind.

We don't know what Logan's family business is yet and why they would invest more in the park but William should think long and hard before that marriage.

Bernard speaking to Dolores about The Maze.

Dolores having the church vision flashback when discussing the maze with Lawrence's "Daughter".

Still wondering about the photo of the woman that Dolores' "Dad" found in an earlier episode.

Reactions: nynole1
Sorry, I was a little late finding Westworld - despite this thread. Don't worry though - I watched all four episodes last night.

I like it a lot so far. I don't watch enough science fiction stuff to probably catch on to things as quickly as others, but I enjoy reading what people think could happen anyway.

So far I definitely dig Armistice the most: an evil blonde woman with a full body tattoo...

Reactions: HulaNole
This show is awesome. I woke up this morning and had time to watch one show: Westworld or season premiere of TWD. I didn't even hesitate.

The Shade and the conversations surrounding them have a striking similarity to other sci-fi content that deals with alien abduction, couldn't help thinking that.

Did I miss something with the MiB? How did he get those explosives?

Logan and William annoy me. William for what I feel like are obvious reasons and Logan because he ruins the whole spirit of "the game" by walking around shooting everyone and not worrying about being shot himself.

Anthony Hopkins shows once again why he is one of the greatest actors to ever appear on the big or small screen. How can an elderly man make me feel so uneasy?

Did I miss something with the MiB? How did he get those explosives?

The way the showrunners have explained the MiB in interviews is that he is an Expert Gamer. He knows how to play this game. He knows how to get items. Notice the two low-charge explosives requests went to the Monitors. It was probably just items he could have purchased in his closet room when he first arrives at the park before taking the "train" into Westworld. He knows how to get put in prison so there is no reason to waste show time showing that and can use the time to actually show the reason for getting put in the prison.

I was distracted during the Ford/Cullen segment. Was Ford threatening her I mean really threatening her harm if the board didn't stay out of his way?

Last edited:
Not physically I don't believe. Just threatening her not to cross him because people in her role have come and gone over the 30 years but this is his world. He has control in the park and also even with the current Board compared to her. This was the table that she sat at as a child and he is sitting exactly where her father sat during that meal. He knows about her relationship with Bernard and will use that if he has too also.

From the showrunners on the conversation between Dr. Ford and Cullen:

"...we were also excited about this moment where you were reminded about the sheer power that Ford can command as the creator of this place. You can imagine Walt Disney having a lunch at Ariel’s Grotto in the middle of Disneyland and commanding all the roller coasters to stop all at once. There’s an extraordinary power there."

"In the pilot, Ford felt a bit like the Lion in Winter, that he might be stepping back. Here, we’re reminded that you underestimate this guy at your peril. He has his own designs of what he wants this place to be. You’re also reminded he has an extremely controlling relationship with the hosts. Like the moment when he cuts a host’s face open and you realize why they’re all stripped bare in cold storage, that it’s a very practical measure on his part to make sure nobody makes Arnold’s mistake again, that treating these hosts as machines is vital to ensure that the techs who work with them don’t mistake them for people. You’re reminded that Ford is not a friend to the hosts. He’s a father figure and that can go a number of different ways."

Not physically I don't believe. Just threatening her not to cross him because people in her role have come and gone over the 30 years but this is his world. He has control in the park and also even with the current Board compared to her. This was the table that she sat at as a child and he is sitting exactly where her father sat during that meal. He knows about her relationship with Bernard and will use that if he has too also.

From the showrunners on the conversation between Dr. Ford and Cullen:

"...we were also excited about this moment where you were reminded about the sheer power that Ford can command as the creator of this place. You can imagine Walt Disney having a lunch at Ariel’s Grotto in the middle of Disneyland and commanding all the roller coasters to stop all at once. There’s an extraordinary power there."

"In the pilot, Ford felt a bit like the Lion in Winter, that he might be stepping back. Here, we’re reminded that you underestimate this guy at your peril. He has his own designs of what he wants this place to be. You’re also reminded he has an extremely controlling relationship with the hosts. Like the moment when he cuts a host’s face open and you realize why they’re all stripped bare in cold storage, that it’s a very practical measure on his part to make sure nobody makes Arnold’s mistake again, that treating these hosts as machines is vital to ensure that the techs who work with them don’t mistake them for people. You’re reminded that Ford is not a friend to the hosts. He’s a father figure and that can go a number of different ways."
Gotcha, I wasn't sure if he was implying he would have a host harm her or have the waiter host intimidate her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT