ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Metraux tied for lead going into final round of Olympics

FSU sports information:

Florida State All-American Morgane Metraux, who is playing for her home country of Switzerland, eagled her final hole of the third round and is in a tie for first place heading into Saturday’s fourth and final round of the Olympic Women’s Golf Tournament at Le Golf National. Metraux, who has held the lead following the second and third rounds, shot a 1 under par score of 71 on Friday and has a three-round total of 9 under par 207. She is tied for first place with Lydia Ko of New Zealand.

“My hybrid,” she said when asked which club she hit her approach shot on 18. “I hit my driver a little too short. I was in between 5-iron and hybrid.”

The final round of the championship is set for Saturday.

Live scoring of the championship can be found here.

Metraux played at Florida State from 2016-2019 and is looking to become the first Seminole golfer to earn a medal at the Olympics. Four Seminoles -- Gabby Carle, Soccer (Gold), Kaleigh Rafter, Softball (Bronze), Casey Short, Soccer (Bronze), and Head Softball Coach Lonni Alameda, Softball (Silver), most recently earned medals at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

“I stayed patient today,” said Metraux. “That was the key. I focused on myself and didn't let what everybody else was doing get to me. I know this course is very difficult, and any hole can get to you at any point. Nelly (Korda) was a perfect example yesterday. She had a great round and just one hole cost her a lot. So you have to just be on the whole time and focus on yourself, and I was able to do that today.”

Metraux began the third round in first place in the standings. She moved into the leaders spot with an eagle and birdie-filled second round score of 66.

With only one birdie on the back nine, and having gone from overnight leader for the first time in her career, to two strokes off out of the lead, Metraux approached over her second shot on the par-5 18th. She then hit her best shot of the day, to 19 feet of the hole, and made an eagle-3. Her eagle took her from over par to under par on the day as she finished with a 1 under par score of 71.

The eagle also allowed her to move back into first place with a share of the lead at 9 under par.

“Today was fun. It was a lot of fun,” said Metraux following her round. “I was a lot more calm and serene than I thought I was going to be. It really helped playing with girls I knew and who are super nice, too. Yes, I had a lot of fun, and things just didn't quite drop for most of the round for me. But I stayed really patient and it paid off on last hole.

“I came in this week, just telling myself, it's medal or nothing. So just give it everything, obviously without attacking too much but within reason. I think I need to go into every event with that mentality because it seems to be working well. It's fun to play in front of so many people. It’s fun to play in front of so many people, to have so much support and play so close to home, too. It's really a lot of fun.”

Metraux will play in the coveted final group beginning at 6:39 a.m. (ET) with Ko and Rose Zhang of the United States.

The Golf Channel will broadcast Saturday's round beginning at 3 a.m.

Football Recruiting Josh Petty set to decide between FSU and Georgia Tech on August 12th

As Josh Petty's commitment date nears there is a lot of talk about Georgia Tech making a late surge to take the lead in his recruitment. There are five total FutureCast in the Rivals Network for Petty. Three of those as of right now have Petty committing to the Seminoles.

That number used to be four, but Rivals National Analyst Sam Spiegelman has flipped his prediction to Georgia Tech. Of the two other national recruiting service sites, one has two predictions both for GT, while the other has three predictions with one to FSU and two to GT.

There have been rumors that GT has gone "all in" on Petty and earlier this week there was a rumor that Ohio State was making a late push for the offensive tackle.

According to one source inside the Rivals network GT has made a big push from an NIL standpoint and his family would like him to stay close to home. That same source said that of last weekend Petty was leaning toward FSU and heading into this weekend he is leaning towards GT.

Petty took unofficial visits to GT and FSU during the last weekend in July. He has a sister that will be a freshman at FSU this year.

Either way Petty seems ready to get to his commitment date. Petty spoke with GT Rivals site earlier this week and here are a couple of quotes from that article.

"To be honest, I'm beyond excited,” said Petty after Fellowship Christian’s practice on Thursday evening. “It's hard to describe my feelings almost. I've been wanting this moment since I was a kid. I said it over and over again that I wanted to be in the position I'm in, and it blew up beyond expectation to be honest. I was shocked at how this recruitment came and how blessed I was in this opportunity in this field of football. Yeah, it's just a little bit of everything right now. I've got butterflies running through me. I've got everything.

"I'm ready to check it off the box big time,” added Petty. “Yeah, I've been waiting to do this for God knows how long. Just being able to check that box and tell the other coaches that I'm thankful they recruited me but this is what is happening now. Being able to announce the decision and get everything off my chest will be really good."

From his comments he seems to have made a decision already but with three days left this could go back and forth a couple of times.

Recruiting is always fluid but seems more so than ever with the NIL.

Football Ron Dugans pushing for more consistency from FSU receivers halfway through camp

Ron Dugans has seen what everyone who has watched FSU this preseason has seen from the wide receiver room.Some moments of brilliance and serious speed amongst too many mistakes.

"We've made some really good plays, but we've left some out there also."

Football Kyle Morlock named to Mackey Award watch list

FSU sports information:

Redshirt senior tight end Kyle Morlock earned a spot on the Mackey Award Watch List as one of the country’s best tight ends.

Morlock, from Blairsville, Ga., started 11 games for the Seminoles last season after transferring from Shorter College, where he was a two-time All-American. Morlock caught 19 passes for 255 yards and was FSU’s Offensive Newcomer of the Year. His 63-yard reception at Pitt was the longest of his career and the longest for a Seminole tight end since 2019.

Football Maurice Smith named to Rimington Trophy watch list

FSU sports information:

Redshirt senior offensive lineman Maurice Smith was named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List, presented annually to the nation’s top center, Friday.

Smith, a preseason All-ACC selection, has started in 41 of his 45 appearances during his career, with 39 of those starts coming at center. The senior from Miami is a two-time All-ACC selection and last year was also on the All-ACC Academic Team. He started all 12 games he played in 2023, helping Florida State to its 16th ACC title behind a 13-0 regular season. Smith blocked for an FSU offense that led the conference in scoring offense, total touchdowns, rushing touchdowns, yards per completion, fewest interceptions thrown and fewest turnovers while protecting Jordan Travis, the ACC’s Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year. Travis, who finished fifth in Heisman Trophy voting, led the ACC in passing efficiency, yards per attempt and fewest interceptions while also breaking Florida State career records for total offense and touchdown responsibility.

Florida State has won the Rimington Trophy once before, when Bryan Stork earned the honor while leading FSU to a national championship in 2013. Smith was previously named to the Wuerffel Trophy Watch List and was FSU’s Good Works Team nominee in recognition of his community service.

Florida State, the defending ACC Champions, will open the season August 24 at 12:00 p.m. ET in Dublin, Ireland, for the Aer Lingus College Football Classic against Georgia Tech on ESPN.

Preseason Watch Lists
Rimington Trophy – best center – OL Maurice Smith
Davey O’Brien Award – best quarterback – QB DJ Uiagalelei
Walter Camp Player of the Year – QB DJ Uiagalelei
Lou Groza Award – best placekicker – K Ryan Fitzgerald
Ray Guy Award – best punter – P Alex Mastromanno
Wuerffel Trophy – community service – OL Maurice Smith
Thorpe Award – best defensive back – DB Shyheim Brown
Nagurski Trophy – best defensive player – DL Joshua Farmer
Outland Trophy – best interior lineman – DL Joshua Farmer & OL Darius Washington
Maxwell Award – best player – QB DJ Uiagalelei
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT