ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Business Quote book: FSU administrators, BoT members lay out reasons for ACC filing

Here's a collection of quotes from Peter Collins, Richard McCullough, Michael Alford and Drew Weatherford on why they feel FSU's lawsuit against the ACC is the only path forward for the university's best interest.

There are clearly 2 tiers of programs in the playoff hunt...which one are we?

The tier 1 programs get the bulk of the 5*'s out of HS and hold on to the ones that live up to their rankings. They supplement their few holes through the portal. Not surprisingly, they are the programs winning most if not all the NC's. The tier 2 programs get the occasional 5*, and pick up the kids in the portal that don't quite live up to their 5* status through the portal, but are still good/very good players. These are the programs that will fill in the bottom half of the 12 team playoff moving forward. They will occasionally challenge for a NC, but seldom if ever win them.

We need to up our NIL commitment or Miami will dominate the next decade

Some of you may laugh and make jokes about Cristobal but this is serious. Miami is throwing way more money than us and kicking our ass on the recruiting trail. If we don't match their commitment, Miami is going to dominate the next decade, mark my words. It's pay to play these days and Miami is paying more than we are. If we let them have Cam Ward and Armondo Blount, forget about beating them any time soon. It's not just about those 2 players, it's about our level of commitment as a whole. And no, Cristobal is not such a bad coach that he can't win with one of the most talented rosters in the country. They obviously made major strides on the field in the past year and played us tough. This is a critical point in the future of our program. We cannot let Miami surpass us in recruiting.
  • Haha
Reactions: Nole_Corleone

Luke Kromenhoek

Let's get a little bit excited here. Just my opinion, but I think this kid has the potential to be the best QB we have had in quite a while. He has the measurables at 6' 3" with a strong arm, he is an athlete who can move and extend plays, he is well spoken and seems to be intelligent, and he is all Nole. He look like he can be a great leader and is a perfect culture fit of who we want at QB. Obviously, I hope we don't see him in any meaningful playing time until at least one, if not two years from now. It looks like he will have some very good, if not elite talent around him, and if the OL by that time continues to take even baby steps forward, he could be the leader of an extremely potent offense.

The future is bright.

Football Recruiting Strength of FSU's signing class is in depth of playmakers

Florida State’s 2024 signing class represents the significance of relationships strengthened or built through the years. And especially in Florida and Georgia, the home states of 17 of the 22 signees.

"We wanted to be prominent within these two states and be able to go after the best players in those states, and to get them here to Florida State," FSU coach Mike Norvell said.

Let’s acknowledge the elephants in the room before we get to the depth and quality of the class. FSU saw a pair of five-star commitments (KJ Bolden and Armondo Blount) flip to Georgia and Miami, respectively, on Wednesday. While Blount’s was expected, Bolden’s was not anticipated. The Seminoles were also in the mix late for the nation’s top receiver, Jeremiah Smith, before he signed with Ohio State.

But let’s get back to the good news and it starts with a few key points. FSU’s class is 11th in the Rivals team rankings, third in the ACC behind No. 4 Miami and No. 10 Clemson but also well ahead of No. 20 Florida. This is the best signing class produced Norvell and his staff by a wide margin, although all of his classes have been in the top 30 (No. 26 in 2023, No. 20 in 2022, No. 27 in 2021 and No. 20 in 2020).

Movie Moneyball…

I’ve seen this movie many times. Last night, it came on my tv and as I was watching it hit me. This movie reminds me so much of ours program. A new general manager comes in sees the talent and understands he doesn’t have a chance to compete with the Red Sox / Yankees ect. He used a new technique that had never been used before. The A’s went on an unprecedented run ( Like we did this yr ), but in the end they fell short to talent.

Although there are differences they are many similarities. The new technique Norvell chose was saving $ to retain players and portal players and boy did we have success. We got screwed at no fault to our own. The A’s were also lost their top talent. I don’t know about Anyone else but the incredible amount of not just avg players but elite are declaring or portaling left and right leaving us in a position of desperation for talent in many spots. Because the 1 or 2 yr guys we relied on. This caused Norvell to have to make some hard decisions very hard decisions. The fact is we don’t have blue blood $$ who can throw around $$ at portal guys and elite hs guys, so CMN has to be strategic and figure out a way to not let the program take a big step back.

One area we have to change and that’s recruiting the ALPHA dawgs, the program changers those top 50 players. I loved Bobby’s style of recruiting as that is what made him and made the program. CMN is so much like Bobby in recruiting, but problem is it’s going to continue to leave him alone at the alter when it comes to the Top Alphas. I think he may want to think about cutting back on all the wining and dinning these Top guys which cost a lot of money. IMO you can let know they have an offer bring in on an OV and after that sit back and
Wait to find out the price tag. Many would be shocked how much $ is spent on the wining and dining. It’s very obvious, you gotta pay. Kirby is a great coach but he didn’t flip a switch and make UGA dominate with Mid level 4* and high 3*. Now, with that said we landed solid talent, but man we are top heavy in certain positions and in others we need an EBT card to keep us alive.

Until or if we ever get to place where we can compete or at least be in the convo with the blue bloods we gotta find some “Different” or that “New” technique. One thing is for sure and that is we will NEVER EVER be able to accomplish anything like we want on a consistent basis or period ( CFP Committee) if we don’t get out of the ACC. I can guarantee you this if we don’t we will die a slow death and imo will slowly fall into a place we can’t recover or it will be damn near impossible. I know it’s easy for us fans to say just pay the buy out or offer whatever to players, but the $ must come from somewhere. One thing is for certain we need to find a way to pay the buy out and get out or the football only facility and Doak renovation will me absolutely shit!! I absolutely HATE what CFB has become ( Wild Wild West ) but me or you hating it will not change it. We all need to either do our part with helping $ wise until hopefully some regulations are put on NIL or we have to stop complaining and except it is what it will be.

Think about this . . .

Our recruiting class this year ranked #11 nationally with an avg star rating of 3.59

In 2023 our class ranked #26 with an average star rating of 3.56

In 2022 our class ranked #20 with an average star rating of 3.47

If you look at what CMN has done with the recruits he has brought in and then added to through the portal I am very optimistic with this year's class and some help through the portal to fill a few holes, FSU is on its way back to being a consistent player on the national stage.

For those of you that all caught up in recruiting and the signing day disappointments that have happened and will continue to happen every year going forward, you only need to look at aTm, #1 class in 2022 and # 14 last year to remember recruiting is only a portion of a successful program.

BTW does anyone remember where JT13 ranked as a recruit coming out of HS, how about Jared Verse? JT13 was a three-star who wasn't even ranked among the top QBs in the state much less nationally. And Jared Verse, he didn't get one single star coming out of HS. The list of examples like these are endless, FSU will be fine as long as our coaches continue to develop the kids we bring in.

ESPN Had "Lots of Meetings" with Bill Hancock About Excluding FSU

I can't believe he's admitting this, but there it is. Herbstreit emphatically admitting:

• They don’t want to do the right thing. ✅ (but we knew that)
  • Multiple meetings with Bill Hancock to emphasize not doing the right thing. ✅ (they DID??)

I'm starting to believe there really may indeed be an antitrust case here.

Login to view embedded media
he-admit-it-admit-it.gif

Football Recruiting Five-star FSU DE commit Armondo Blount flips back, signs with Miami

Five-star FSU defensive end commit Armondo Blount has flipped back to Miami and signed with the Hurricanes. Expected at this point but still a blow to the Seminoles' class which is now 11th in the Rivals rankings.

Reactions: 12Nole

Noles on this board get a grip

This recruiting class is one of the best in the nation. KJ Bolden getting bought off is probably a
good thing. Do you really want someone like that in the locker room?. Norvell and staff are rocking
the recruiting and people are bitching about it. I will always take a 22-23 year old from a non-power 5
conference over most of these high school 5-stars who only want bank. Trust the evaluation process
because internet recruiting is usually fool's gold. Noles will be fine in the ACC for the time being, I'm
sure that will change sooner than later. Bitching about everything ain't changing anything. Just my
opinion

FSU Mock Class 2023

QB
Luke Kromenhoek (Benedictine Military School) 6'4-180

Comments:
Luke is considered the best quarterback to sign out of high school since Mike Norvell took over. He has all the physical tools from size, to arm strength to athletic ability. Luke will get the chance to sit and learn year one and should be ready to be the guy in 2025. (Grade B)

RB
Kameron Davis (Dougherty-Albanay, GA) 5'10-200
Micahi Danzy (Florida State University School-Tallahassee, FL) 6'1-170

Comments:
Danzy has one elite trait: SPEED. He is one of the fastest running backs in the country. He is a one step and go type back. Davis reminds us of a better version of Cam Akers. If he turns out to be that good, FSU hit a home run. (Grade A)

WR/TE
Jeremiah Smith (Chaminade Maddonna-Hollywood, FL) 6'3-210
Lawayne McCoy (Miami Central-Miami, FL) 6'1-170
Elijah Moore (Good Counsel-Onley, MD) 6'3-190
Camdon Frier (Lake City Columbia-Lake City, FL) 6'0-170
Landen Thomas (Colquitt County, Moultrie, GA) 6'4-220

Comments:
FSU landed the top slot receiver in Florida (Frier), they landed the top outside receiver in (Smith). Moore and McCoy are icing on the cake. This is one of the best receiving corps signed in the country. You round the class out with a top tight end prospect in Landen Thomas. (Grade A+)

OL
Jonathan Daniels (Pine Forest -Pensacola,FL) 6'3-290
Tye Hylton (Ovideo HS-Oviedo, FL) 6'4-270
Manasse Itete (Central Catholic-Modesto, CA) 6'6-290
Jayden Todd (West Laurens HS-Dublin-GA) 6'6-320

Comments:
This OL class is solid. You have Daniels who can play tackle but is also versatile enough to move inside and play guard/center at the next level. Itete gives FSU a legit tackle in the class. Hylton may have the most impressive film as he dominates the line of scrimmage. Todd will be a nice developmental prospect and a depth piece. (Grade B)

DT
Jamorie Flagg (Booker T. Washington, Miami,FL) 6'3-290
D’Nas White (Robinson HS-Concord, NC) 6'6-315

Comments:
You would like to have landed Blount or McCray. Those two would give you a better grade. Right now both seem to be leaning towards other programs. FSU needed to hit a home run and may be lucky to get a single or double in this situation. (Grade-C)

DE
DD Holmes (Gonzaga-Washington,DC) 6'6 240

Comments:
The only thing that can save the defensive end class is if Blount stays committed to FSU and they land 2 other prospects out of the portal. Landing only Holmes at this point would be a bit of a disappointment. (Grade C-)

LB
Jayden Parrish (Delray Atlantic-Delray Beach,FL) 6'2-210
T.Hickman-Collins (Indian Land-Fort Mill, SC) 6'0-210

Comments:
I am a big fan of Parrish. I have seen him 3 times over the past two seasons play in person. He is always one of the best players on the field. He plays running back and could end up a short yardage guy at FSU. On defense he displays a great nose for the football. (Grade C-)

S
KJ Bolden (Buford HS-Buford, GA) 6'2-180

Comments:
Bolden is the best safety prospect FSU has landed since Derwin James. We know how that worked out. Bolden is a day one contributor and we expect him to start at some point of his freshman season. He is the only true safety prospect FSU will sign in this class. They could always move Howard or Bates over. (Grade A)

CB
Ricky Knight (Cardinal Newman-West Palm Beach, FL) 6'0-170
Jamari Howard (Miami Norland, Miami, FL) 6'3-180
Charles Lester (Venice HS-Venice, FL) 6'2-180
Cai Bates (Orlando Edgewater-Orlando, FL)6'2-180

Comments:
Knight is an ideal slot corner. Howard gives you a big, physical safety who can make plays both in the passing and run game. Lester is another shut down corner. Bates may end up the best player in a loaded defensive back class. (Grade – A)

Ath.
BJ Gibson (Wilcox County, Rochelle, GA) 6'0 - 190

Comments:
Gibson can play running back, receiver or defensive back. He has the tools to be a very good player in college. He is the type of player you sign and worry about where to play him once on campus. (Grade B+)

K
Jake Weinberg (Delray Beach, FL) 5'10 - 160

Sign Elsewhere

DE-Armondo Blount
- Blount has gone back and forth with his commitment between FSU and Miami. The home town Hurricanes win out. Blount will sign with UM tomorrow and be part of one of the best DL classes in the country. It will be interesting to see how his career pans out.

DK-LJ McCrray- This kids recruitment reminds me of so many that go to Auburn. Go back to Corey Lemonier. This is just the type of recruit that Auburn gets to switch on NSD.

FSU women's hoops routs Alabama State

FSU sports information:

The No. 21 Florida State Women’s Basketball team (9-3) raced past Alabama State (0-10) in a 110-45 win as the team celebrated Holiday Hoops on Wednesday night at the Tucker Center.

The Seminoles nearly made history, as they were four points shy of matching a 32-year long record of points scored in a game. The record of 114 points has stood since February 6, 1991, when Florida State defeated Stetson.

FSU has reached at least 110 points in consecutive years after defeating Bethune-Cookman last season, 113-50.

Ta’Niya Latson led the Noles in scoring with 23 points, marking her 24th career 20-point game. She went 10-of-11 from the free throw line and drew six fouls.

The Seminoles had plenty of players with double-figure scoring including Latson scoring 23, Alexis Tucker 15, Sara Bejedi 15, Makayla Timpson 14, Brianna Turnage 11, and O’Mariah Gordon 10. It marked the first time this season FSU had six players reach double digits.

Timpson grabbed eight rebounds to lead a shutdown defensive effort that held Alabama State to 25 percent shooting (17-of-69) and forced 18 turnovers.

FSU raced out of the gates as they started off with a 17-0 run to begin the game. They went on to outscore the Hornets 34-9 in the first, with Latson leading all scorers with 11 points. It tied FSU’s season high for points in a quarter and was the fourth time this season the Seminoles reached 30+ in a quarter.

The Seminoles continued to dominate to round out the first half, as they outscored Alabama State 26-9 during the second quarter to bring the first half score to 60-18. Latson once again led the quarter in scoring, bringing her first-half total to 18.

Florida State made the most of the Hornets’ turnovers, scoring 14 of their first half points off turnovers. The team was also on a hot streak from the foul line, shooting a near perfect 93 percent (14-of-15) from the charity stripe.

The Noles carried over their first-half success into the second, as they went onto outscore Alabama State 24-9 in the third quarter to bring the score to 84-27. Tucker led the Noles in scoring during the third with 10 points. FSU finished the fourth quarter scoring 26 points.

The Seminoles will break for the holidays before they return home to the Tucker Center on Dec. 29 at 2 p.m., to begin ACC play against Georgia Tech. The first 100 fans will receive a Let’s Go Noles T-Shirt.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT