ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

It was not close. FSU, baby!

Nope, this was a straight up whooping. FSU played their best ball of the tourney. Flashback to the round of 32, that was the WORST ball FSU has played and that wasn't due to a bad matchup, just played like crap. Sure hope FSU brings last night's squad, Michigan can shoot. Oh, and hope Michigan DOESN"T go to a zone D.

Nope, this was a straight up whooping. FSU played their best ball of the tourney. Flashback to the round of 32, that was the WORST ball FSU has played and that wasn't due to a bad matchup, just played like crap. Sure hope FSU brings last night's squad, Michigan can shoot. Oh, and hope Michigan DOESN"T go to a zone D.
Michigan did shoot lights out yesterday but that performance was way above their season averages. Let's just hope they return to norm against us.

Michigan did shoot lights out yesterday but that performance was way above their season averages. Let's just hope they return to norm against us.

I am sure UVA saying the same thing to themselves makes them feel better when they looked at the Retriever's highlights! :) Definitely hope they come back to Earth for Saturday.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I know it doesnt equate to NFL success but watching the Wyoming Pro day highlights, Josh Allen has an elite arm. His deep throws are just so effortless.

Ryan ahem Leaf.

I dont think this kid is the mental midget Leaf turned out to be, and he has a better arm but time will tell on all questions.

It will be interesting to see who comes out as the best pro QB from this years draft choices, all have BIG question marks but probably 4 are going top 10

I dont think this kid is the mental midget Leaf turned out to be, and he has a better arm but time will tell on all questions.

It will be interesting to see who comes out as the best pro QB from this years draft choices, all have BIG question marks but probably 4 are going top 10
I agree with you, but I was merely giving an example of how having the biggest arm in a class doesn't necessarily equate to pro success. (JaMarcus Russell is another instance.)

He has around $100,000,000 reasons.

Fiji or other Texas lawyers correct me if I am wrong. I've posted this before, but I think that most people, probably including Jimbo and his agent, don't realize that his "guaranteed" $75 million contract is not enforceable under Texas law unless the legislature makes an exception. Mike Leach now understands this point.

Fiji or other Texas lawyers correct me if I am wrong. I've posted this before, but I think that most people, probably including Jimbo and his agent, don't realize that his "guaranteed" $75 million contract is not enforceable under Texas law unless the legislature makes an exception. Mike Leach now understands this point.

I have seen this posted a few times and read the Mike Leach articles. My question would be, is it possible Sexton was aware of this Texas law and had the contract structured in a way that the payment was issued by the boosters vs the university thereby protecting Jimbo

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I have seen this posted a few times and read the Mike Leach articles. My question would be, is it possible Sexton was aware of this Texas law and had the contract structured in a way that the payment was issued by the boosters vs the university thereby protecting Jimbo
Yep. When the precedent has been set, those coming after know how to find the necessary loopholes.

Excellent question. I would hope that a competent lawyer/agent especially of Sexton's stature would structure it properly, but you would be amazed how often deals are screwed up because of people not understanding the subtleties. Most contracts, even if the law is well understood, leave a lot to interpretation.

If anything, Sexton structured the contract so that he would get his cut of the $75 million up front.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I haven't decided which I would rather see: Jimbo fired half way into his contract, or A&M stuck with a lame duck coach who goes 7-6 but talks about "process."

7-6, 8-5, 9-4, 8-5 and 5-7 over 5 years sounds good to me. Of course, the Aggies sensing momentum go ahead and sign him to a massive extension after yr.3. That money haunts them on the books for many years. And all of Jimbo's money is lost in a bad investment (going all-in on a hedge fund that speculates on West Virginia coal and hair restoration products)...at which time Candi has to support the family.

Nobody gets hurt, but Jimbo and the program get screwed.

I haven't decided which I would rather see: Jimbo fired half way into his contract, or A&M stuck with a lame duck coach who goes 7-6 but talks about "process."

7-6, 8-5, 9-4, 8-5 and 5-7 over 5 years sounds good to me. Of course, the Aggies sensing momentum go ahead and sign him to a massive extension after yr.3. That money haunts them on the books for many years. And all of Jimbo's money is lost in a bad investment (going all-in on a hedge fund that speculates on West Virginia coal and hair restoration products)...at which time Candi has to support the family.

Nobody gets hurt, but Jimbo and the program get screwed.

His first 3 years won't be a cakewalk. This year alone they have to play Clemson, Bama, Auburn, LSU and South Carolina. Next year I think they play cross division against Georgia

I don't think A&M will sniff an SEC title during his tenure, let alone an MNC. He doesn't have the favorable circumstances there that he did at FSU.

I've seen it posted on both Texas and OU boards that Jimbo is not allowing their committed players to visit other schools. That's not a smart idea. Same boards also saying Jimbo and staff are making heavy use of negative recruiting.

I don't think A&M will sniff an SEC title during his tenure, let alone an MNC. He doesn't have the favorable circumstances there that he did at FSU.

I've seen it posted on both Texas and OU boards that Jimbo is not allowing their committed players to visit other schools. That's not a smart idea. Same boards also saying Jimbo and staff are making heavy use of negative recruiting.
That recruiting style would be contrary to what he did here. Maybe message board rumors since one of the most successful recruiters is now in direct competition with them?

That recruiting style would be contrary to what he did here. Maybe message board rumors since one of the most successful recruiters is now in direct competition with them?

That crossed my mind but coming from two different fan bases was interesting. I know those practices are a 180 from FSU. One of the Texas sites has quotes from some recruits talking about A&Ms negative recruiting. I'll see if I can find it again.

Jimbo is a successful recruiter but I think the rubber meets the road at A&M. He had more favorable circumstances at FSU and FSU isn't as hard a sell as A&M

That crossed my mind but coming from two different fan bases was interesting. I know those practices are a 180 from FSU. One of the Texas sites has quotes from some recruits talking about A&Ms negative recruiting. I'll see if I can find it again.

Jimbo is a successful recruiter but I think the rubber meets the road at A&M. He had more favorable circumstances at FSU and FSU isn't as hard a sell as A&M

Looking at the whole thing, the only better thing he got at A&M was more money and maybe more control. The school is obviously willing to pay whatever it takes to play. But in almost every other statistic that job was a step down. Harder schedule, the school has less of a national name, harder recruiting battles, etc... It would have been one thing to take the job at Texas, but going to A&M just shows that this was more about his relationships souring here than it was about being a better opportunity.

In the end I think he'll be an upgrade, and maybe they make it to one or two SEC Championship games with him, but there's no way he ever gets them anywhere near a National Title. Truth be told, I'd come to that conclusion here. Every year had been a step down since Jameis first year. That year we happened to have just recruited an NFL defense and had Jameis at QB. We won in spite of his coaching and because of his recruiting. He hasn't hit that lightning in a bottle since.

Looking at the whole thing, the only better thing he got at A&M was more money and maybe more control. The school is obviously willing to pay whatever it takes to play. But in almost every other statistic that job was a step down. Harder schedule, the school has less of a national name, harder recruiting battles, etc... It would have been one thing to take the job at Texas, but going to A&M just shows that this was more about his relationships souring here than it was about being a better opportunity.

In the end I think he'll be an upgrade, and maybe they make it to one or two SEC Championship games with him, but there's no way he ever gets them anywhere near a National Title. Truth be told, I'd come to that conclusion here. Every year had been a step down since Jameis first year. That year we happened to have just recruited an NFL defense and had Jameis at QB. We won in spite of his coaching and because of his recruiting. He hasn't hit that lightning in a bottle since.
Yeah I think A&M will get a bump in performance for a couple years. Just by nature of a new coach/message and more consistent recruiting.

Unless Fisher changes as a human being (something he required of his players) then his shelf-life won't be too long.

I see it the same way. Now, you can't take away the fact he had the staff and they recruited these guys, but the 2013 team was one of the greatest NCAA teams, if not the greatest, ever assembled. I still get mad to this day at how little fanfare they got (and still get) looking at the perfection on both sides of the ball. So many future NFL players. They destroyed everyone. And even then, still almost got upset by Auburn due to not being able to somehow predict Craig would be able to steal the called plays.

But if not for that assembled team in 2013-that carried over into 2014, Jimbo was always going to blow some games to people he should not. Like the 2012 game against NC State. We pulled a lifetime of close wins where we should have dominated out during his run. Like the entire 2014 season was a miracle. Last season was like we were paying our debts for the prior close wins.

Add to this , I clearly think he lost his drive. Combination of the amazing run and winning it all plus the divorce took away the hunger. I sometimes think he really did not leave over money but more as a way to try to somehow get that passion and fire back.

Reactions: F4Gary
I see it the same way. Now, you can't take away the fact he had the staff and they recruited these guys, but the 2013 team was one of the greatest NCAA teams, if not the greatest, ever assembled. I still get mad to this day at how little fanfare they got (and still get) looking at the perfection on both sides of the ball. So many future NFL players. They destroyed everyone. And even then, still almost got upset by Auburn due to not being able to somehow predict Craig would be able to steal the called plays.

But if not for that assembled team in 2013-that carried over into 2014, Jimbo was always going to blow some games to people he should not. Like the 2012 game against NC State. We pulled a lifetime of close wins where we should have dominated out during his run. Like the entire 2014 season was a miracle. Last season was like we were paying our debts for the prior close wins.

Add to this , I clearly think he lost his drive. Combination of the amazing run and winning it all plus the divorce took away the hunger. I sometimes think he really did not leave over money but more as a way to try to somehow get that passion and fire back.

There is no doubt it’s a win-win that he left. We won by replacing him with an energised young coach who can recruit just as good if not better than Jimbo did. He wins by being about a tenth of the way to a billion dollars and by having an all new shot.

So did you all see that JC Flowers broke his jaw in that second base collision during the UNC game? Ouch. He is out for 6-8 weeks.

So did you all see that JC Flowers broke his jaw in that second base collision during the UNC game? Ouch. He is out for 6-8 weeks.

That stinks. I was starting to get excited about this year’s team and then the last two or three weeks happened and now I’m back to “standard FSU baseball team, guaranteed to underwhelm and break your hearts”.

Oh there is no question that A&M is a step down from Florida State. That's not even debatable. Having more funds in your war chest doesn't make you a destination job or a blue blood program. I would say Oregon is similar to A&M in some respects, mainly the money part.

I think Jimbo will find the recruiting battles much tougher at A&M. He isn't walking into a situation where A&M's rivals or recruiting competitors are down like he did at FSU. Lincoln Riley and Tom Herman can flat out recruit and they are at bigger programs. If these rumors are true about negative recruiting and not allowing committed prospects to visit other schools, that signals to me that he realizes he is in a tougher situation. Texas A&M will never be able to cherry pick the best Texas talent......unless they start sending recruits envelopes full of cash like the did in the Jackie Sherrill days.

Oh there is no question that A&M is a step down from Florida State. That's not even debatable. Having more funds in your war chest doesn't make you a destination job or a blue blood program. I would say Oregon is similar to A&M in some respects, mainly the money part.

I think Jimbo will find the recruiting battles much tougher at A&M. He isn't walking into a situation where A&M's rivals or recruiting competitors are down like he did at FSU. Lincoln Riley and Tom Herman can flat out recruit and they are at bigger programs. If these rumors are true about negative recruiting and not allowing committed prospects to visit other schools, that signals to me that he realizes he is in a tougher situation. Texas A&M will never be able to cherry pick the best Texas talent......unless they start sending recruits envelopes full of cash like the did in the Jackie Sherrill days.

The part that’s 100% true is that Jimbo got to take advantage of not just Miami and Florida being down, but Jawja being below its potential.

The part I’m not entirely on board with you is that aTm is facing tough opposition from its instate rivals. The state still looks pretty wide open to me.

The part I’m not entirely on board with you is that aTm is facing tough opposition from its instate rivals. The state still looks pretty wide open to me.

My post said A&M's "rivals and recruiting competitors". I didn't say in-state rivals.

This past year Texas signed 6 out of the 10 most highly rated recruits in the state. 8 of the top 15. Of those top 15 players, A&M signed 3. That's according to Rivals.

According to 247's rankings, Texas signed 11 of the top 15 players in the state. A&M had 3.

I don't know about you but that's tough in-state opposition.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, LSU, Kansas State and Arkansas all heavily depend on Texas recruits. Of that group, Oklahoma is usually the biggest threat to Texas and A&M.

Herman has turned on the jets in Texas. I doubt you'll see Ohio State and Alabama swooping in and taking whoever they want anymore. Mack Brown was able to build modest success at UT by mainly staying in Texas. You never really saw other big programs, with the exception of Oklahoma, coming into Texas and taking top shelf talent when Mack was the coach. Herman is taking UT's recruiting national which is something Mack never really did.

Texas and Oklahoma are hitting Jimbo's weak spots in recruiting. The state of Texas is LOADED with WR talent this year and 2 of the very best, Arjei Henderson and Theo Wease, are considering A&M. I've read on other boards that OU is using Jimbo's lack of WR development against him on those two guys.

Can't really consider it negative recruiting if it's 100% true.

Doesn't help A&M's cause either with Tim Brewster trying to be urban and hip on Twitter. He's getting crucified by other schools for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT