ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

5101020000.jpg

Man Jimbo doesn't look good and it is not even football season yet.You will never convince me he will have more success at A&M than he did at FSU. I get all the arguments, money, facilities etc.; however when you consider he has a single title and the team that got him there at one time had 22 players on NFL rosters and 11 draft picks. Those are crazy numbers.

He did a great job organizing the program, more consistent recruiting, and demanding the infrastructure we needed. I'll forever be grateful for that.

Beyond that he was an average at best coach. The only times our team really excelled was when we had team leaders who could put guys at ease and let them play a bit. His schtick will work well at A&M for a couple years and then fizzle because the guys will realize yelling isn't coaching. The problem is he doesn't have the meager opposition FSU faced when Fisher was rising 7 years ago. Back then UF, Miami, and most of the ACC was pretty easy pickings.

Reactions: noleclone2
He did a great job organizing the program, more consistent recruiting, and demanding the infrastructure we needed. I'll forever be grateful for that.

Beyond that he was an average at best coach. The only times our team really excelled was when we had team leaders who could put guys at ease and let them play a bit. His schtick will work well at A&M for a couple years and then fizzle because the guys will realize yelling isn't coaching. The problem is he doesn't have the meager opposition FSU faced when Fisher was rising 7 years ago. Back then UF, Miami, and most of the ACC was pretty easy pickings.

Not to mention what happens when A&M losses to a bottom dweller in the SEC by 30. I expect him to have multiple 8 or so win seasons and likely beat a top 10 team now and then. While I am grateful for what he did at FSU; I am even more grateful that A&M took him off our hands. Just don't understand what A&M was thinking; they were a stable program, not a rebuild. How they could look at what he did or didn't do with FSU level talent and think he will have similar or even close to similar success isn't logical. While he may get some better recruits he is facing young gun coaches at UT and OU that will likely out recruit him regularly. Throw in the SEC recruiting and schedule and his road to even a conference title is much harder.

Beyond that he was an average at best coach. ........

For me, this is the biggest contribution to FSU he made. He got his benjamins out of FSU, but at the end of the Bobby era, FSU needed a lot of work to move the program forward and NOT have a drop off replacing a legend. For that, I am a bit soft on my criticism of Jimbo. I don't want to forget the huge effort and work he put in for the first 5+ years. He still could have left more gracefully tho.

Jimbo was the right coach at the right time for us. He was able to make a successful transition from Bobby (Which is saying a lot) and do so respectably of both the program and Bobby. He was also able to modernize FSU where we'd fallen well behind in approach and were close to becoming a has been program. He also managed, in those early years at least, to put together a team of recruiters who could pull in players in amazing numbers.

The problem was that he's just not a very good coach, and he also didn't demand that his assistants were very good coaches either. The fact that he looked at our O-line year after year and felt that was good enough showed enough. He'd demand excellence out of his players but never demand the same from his coaches, and that's never a good look.

I'll be forever grateful that he brought us through a rough patch and managed to put together one of the greatest teams of all time and bring home a title. But after that title, it all started to go down hill and it had been becoming more and more clear that it was time to move on. Him making the decision for us actually made that so much simpler because we didn't have to look like the bad guys who fired a coach who everyone else seemingly respects.

Now I'm just hopeful for a future with Taggart. He's still a bit unproven, but so would anyone else we'd bring in. I like his fire, I like his recruiting, and the players seem to be responding well. He's got three years (Unless things are just absolutely on fire) to prove he can win at a high level with this team. I'm not demanding a title, but we need to be competing for ACC championships and winning the games we're supposed to win easily at the very least.

How much different do you think Fisher's coaching style is than Saban's? The primary difference is in the number of championships not in how they approach the job.

How much different do you think Fisher's coaching style is than Saban's? The primary difference is in the number of championships not in how they approach the job.

I think you can have whatever style you want and players will put up with it if they see you getting them into the NFL and winning championships. Saban could berate their mother's at every practice and they'd still show up for him because he wins games.

Fisher somehow adopted Saban's attitude without adopting much of his aptitude it seems. Saban's one of the best defensive minds in the game and his defense's show up each and every week. He also holds his coaches to incredibly high standards, and if they don't perform, he moves on. That's not true with Fisher's. His supposedly genius offenses underperformed almost every week once Jameis was gone, and he allowed mediocre coaches to remain unchallenged for years.

I think you can have whatever style you want and players will put up with it if they see you getting them into the NFL and winning championships. Saban could berate their mother's at every practice and they'd still show up for him because he wins games.

Fisher somehow adopted Saban's attitude without adopting much of his aptitude it seems. Saban's one of the best defensive minds in the game and his defense's show up each and every week. He also holds his coaches to incredibly high standards, and if they don't perform, he moves on. That's not true with Fisher's. His supposedly genius offenses underperformed almost every week once Jameis was gone, and he allowed mediocre coaches to remain unchallenged for years.
Saban also has unlimited financial resources and complete autonomy to run the program however he wishes. Neither was true here.

Reactions: BelemNole
Saban also has unlimited financial resources and complete autonomy to run the program however he wishes. Neither was true here.

I'm sure he chafed at that. He has it now. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Their administration better jump when he tells them too, or he'll purposely stop doing his job properly.

Jimbo has it now with a 10 year deal. In Saban's last 10 years, he has 2 seasons with less than 12 wins (10-3 and 11-2) and 5 national championships. Jimbo is a solid CEO and head coach, but does anyone think he will come close to that type of performance? The admin/boosters could be better, but I don't think giving Jimbo guaranteed $75mil and control over the Kingdom would have gotten us Saban-like results.

Jimbo has it now with a 10 year deal. In Saban's last 10 years, he has 2 seasons with less than 12 wins (10-3 and 11-2) and 5 national championships. Jimbo is a solid CEO and head coach, but does anyone think he will come close to that type of performance? The admin/boosters could be better, but I don't think giving Jimbo guaranteed $75mil and control over the Kingdom would have gotten us Saban-like results.
They may not have. The point I was trying to make was that Jimbo's style of coaching has proven to be very successful at both the collegiate and professional levels and is not unique to him.

Reactions: noleclone2

Jimbo built it up in his mind that unlimited financial resources and total autonomy were the reasons for his shortcomings. Those are also known as excuses.

He'll find other ways to blame shift his mistakes and shortcomings now.

Jimbo was the right coach at the right time for us. He was able to make a successful transition from Bobby (Which is saying a lot) and do so respectably of both the program and Bobby. He was also able to modernize FSU where we'd fallen well behind in approach and were close to becoming a has been program. He also managed, in those early years at least, to put together a team of recruiters who could pull in players in amazing numbers.

The problem was that he's just not a very good coach, and he also didn't demand that his assistants were very good coaches either. The fact that he looked at our O-line year after year and felt that was good enough showed enough. He'd demand excellence out of his players but never demand the same from his coaches, and that's never a good look.

I'll be forever grateful that he brought us through a rough patch and managed to put together one of the greatest teams of all time and bring home a title. But after that title, it all started to go down hill and it had been becoming more and more clear that it was time to move on. Him making the decision for us actually made that so much simpler because we didn't have to look like the bad guys who fired a coach who everyone else seemingly respects.

Now I'm just hopeful for a future with Taggart. He's still a bit unproven, but so would anyone else we'd bring in. I like his fire, I like his recruiting, and the players seem to be responding well. He's got three years (Unless things are just absolutely on fire) to prove he can win at a high level with this team. I'm not demanding a title, but we need to be competing for ACC championships and winning the games we're supposed to win easily at the very least.
Agree, also let's give FSU admin some credit for how they handled the transition. Much better than other places.

What went downhill is a) personal life/stress; and b) letting reason "a" coax him into believing he was the program, that if he simply demanded something, it would appear.

Three years with Willie seems right for a grace period. I may be in the minority but I'll trade a couple ACC titles in exchange for having a good honest man at the helm.

Jimbo built it up in his mind that unlimited financial resources and total autonomy were the reasons for his shortcomings. Those are also known as excuses.

He'll find other ways to blame shift his mistakes and shortcomings now.
Yes, this stems from ego...he told the players not to read their own press clippings but forgot to listen to his own advice.

It was close enough. The problem is Fisher is copying something that's not part of the fiber of his true self. Saban wakes up and wants to get each player better. Fisher wakes up and wants a result.

Another one of the big issues I have is JF quit on the team; that has become very apparent and when you make millions there is no excuse for that. Even as his personal life was becoming a mess he could have taken a break; no doubt the FSU admin would give him a pretty long leash. By quitting who knows how many possible athletes that may have had a shot at the NFL don't now. Coaches can elevate players and bring their play level down and JF by mailing it in for well over 6 weeks hurt not just the players but the program. WT should be commended for what he has already done in attitude improvement.

The budget for football at Alabama is $51 million which is more than double FSU's.
Doesn't matter in the sense we have what we need. I'm not arguing the numbers I'm saying the functionality is not anywhere close to double.

Didn't hurt our recruiting, assistant coach or head coach salaries, all top 10 in Fisher's time here. We have more than enough to win.

#100pagesnatty

Doesn't matter in the sense we have what we need. I'm not arguing the numbers I'm saying the functionality is not anywhere close to double.

Didn't hurt our recruiting, assistant coach or head coach salaries, all top 10 in Fisher's time here. We have more than enough to win.

That is the key WIN. Sure being the highest paid whatever is nice but, let's say FSU has done what bama has the last decade or so. Do you really think we lose a coach because college X will give him 2 million more. I doubt it, because if FSU had all those titles in the last decade money would come from wherever we needed it.

That is the key WIN. Sure being the highest paid whatever is nice but, let's say FSU has done what bama has the last decade or so. Do you really think we lose a coach because college X will give him 2 million more. I doubt it, because if FSU had all those titles in the last decade money would come from wherever we needed it.
And no one would care how that coach acted.

Reactions: funksouljon
Sure, winning gets you a long leash. I can't stand Saban. I think he's a pretty terrible person, but he's proven that he knows how to get the best on a football field, and as long as you're not cheating to the point that you sink the program, most schools will let you get away with murder if you get results.

I don't think Saban is getting his results because of money though. The money is just a nice side effect of getting the results. He was getting those results (The Dolphins aside) everywhere he's been. Jimbo had plenty of money to be getting far better results than he was. Ok, maybe he doesn't have what it takes to win as many national titles as Saban had, but we damned well shouldn't have been losing the games we were.

In the end, he's simply not as good of a motivator or a coach as Saban is and I think his ego got to his head and the players started to quit on him a bit the last few years.

Reactions: BelemNole
True to an extent but Art Briles and Bobby Knight might have something to say about this. Personally I think Saban is very underrated as a decent person but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Bottom line is Fisher had plenty enough to win and sold out because he was hollow inside. I'd argue with UF, Miami and most of the ACC being down, half Alabama's budget is completely fair for a coach to excel. Recruiting is easier, you won't lose to your rivals so much (happier fans), and the bonuses and top tier bowls are more available. Funny how when Clemson got better,we added Lousiville, all of a sudden the same coach with more resources did worse...

True to an extent but Art Briles and Bobby Knight might have something to say about this. Personally I think Saban is very underrated as a decent person but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Bottom line is Fisher had plenty enough to win and sold out because he was hollow inside. I'd argue with UF, Miami and most of the ACC being down, half the budget is completely fair for a coach to excel. Recruiting is easier, you won't lose to your rivals so much (happier fans), and the bonuses and top tier bowls are more available. Funny how when Clemson got better and we added Lousiville the same coach with more resources did worse...

That's fair. Compared to the likes of Art Briles, Bobby Knight, and Bobby Petrino; Saban is a saint. He doesn't cheat (As far as anyone knows), there's no known moral failures, he's not using prostitutes to lure recruits (That we're aware of), etc... He's just a really hard person to work for, but if you can put up with it he does pull the best out of you. I don't think we always saw Jimbo being able to pull the best out of his players, especially QBs or many of his coaches, and I think that's where much of the difference is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT