ADVERTISEMENT

#100pagesnatty Thread 11/08/18 #63pagesnattynumber1 #106pagesnattynumber2

Now I want to see how that Chicken turned out. lol
2A8681B300000578-3158953-image-a-48_1436890977225.jpg

The more I see Taggart’s behavior at the same time I see Jimbo’s, the more I think we REALLY lucked out with aTm taking him off our hands.
At first I was angry at the thought that he would even consider leaving, then I was sad that we were losing him. But the more I stepped back and looked at how bothered I really had been about his behavior and coaching the last few years the more I realized that it wasn't that awful, and especially once I saw how much Taggart truly loved FSU. I think we might have won the lottery.

Now I might take that all back in three years if we're at 500 and Tag can't coach. We don't know yet, but so far he's knocked everything out of the park.

At first I was angry at the thought that he would even consider leaving, then I was sad that we were losing him. But the more I stepped back and looked at how bothered I really had been about his behavior and coaching the last few years the more I realized that it wasn't that awful, and especially once I saw how much Taggart truly loved FSU. I think we might have won the lottery.

Now I might take that all back in three years if we're at 500 and Tag can't coach. We don't know yet, but so far he's knocked everything out of the park.

this! I have this fantasy of him being here 20+years and having a statue right next to Bobby's. But I'm trying to be realistic about next year. it's a tough schedule they say..

Reactions: funksouljon
I'm not going to judge him (Unless it's just terrible and we go like 4-8 or something) off of next year. Any coach needs three years. So it's too early to saint him, but I'm hopeful.

Reactions: NoleLizards

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but be realistic. In general, even the greatest coaches take until at least year 2 to take off. (Two has been the magic number for Taggert during his HC career). Plus, this going to be a very tough schedule from week 1.

Personally, I'll be more concerned with what the new staff gets out of the team than a specific record. If you want to pin me down, I think we go anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2 this season. I just don't want to see people freaking out if the win total is on the lower end year one.

As far as Jimbo goes, he's bitten off a huge chunk at aTm. I'll honestly be shocked if he wins even just a division title there before WT does here.

By the way, KC...I'm cautioning everyone...not you in particular.

I hope the excitement doesn't lead to a large disappointment. I think 8-4 the first year is where the bar should be set, and if we do better than that it is like icing on the cake. Unfortunately I think there are people out there that are all tied up in the hype and think FSU should be a 10+ win team in 2018.

As for the former coach, I don't think he will do any better than Taggart does here at FSU. If he makes an SECCG in his tenure there I would be surprised.

As for the former coach, I don't think he will do any better than Taggart does here at FSU. If he makes an SECCG in his tenure there I would be surprised.

Agreed. He'd have to get his team to play at the very least to the level of their talent to even have a chance in a division with the likes of Bama, LSU, and Allbarn. I have no reason to think he's capable of doing that for a whole season.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
agreed with FSUDawg. I'll be happy next year at 8-4. It's going to take time to teach a brand new system and get all the players in to run his. But within three years that needs to be 10 wins.

I hope the excitement doesn't lead to a large disappointment. I think 8-4 the first year is where the bar should be set, and if we do better than that it is like icing on the cake. Unfortunately I think there are people out there that are all tied up in the hype and think FSU should be a 10+ win team in 2018.

It’s definitely the toughest schedule I can ever remember us having.

Virginia Tech
Samford
at Syracuse
Northern Illinois
at Louisville
at Miami
Wake Forest
Clemson
at NC State
at Notre Dame
Boston College
Florida

I think 9-3 or 8-4 is our most likely record and 10-2 would be amazing coaching. Because I think you’re looking at one guaranteed loss (Clemson) and we’ll split at Notre Dame, at Miami, at NC State and at Louisville. That would get us to 9-3 and we could lose 3/4 of the tough roadies or have an upset loss to VT, Boston College, Northern Illinois or Florida to get us to 8-4. If we make it to 10-2 that means we upset Clemson or won 3/4 of the tough roadies.

Reactions: NoleLizards
It’s definitely the toughest schedule I can ever remember us having.

Virginia Tech
Samford
at Syracuse
Northern Illinois
at Louisville
at Miami
Wake Forest
Clemson
at NC State
at Notre Dame
Boston College
Florida

I think 9-3 or 8-4 is our most likely record and 10-2 would be amazing coaching. Because I think you’re looking at one guaranteed loss (Clemson) and we’ll split at Notre Dame, at Miami, at NC State and at Louisville. That would get us to 9-3 and we could lose 3/4 of the tough roadies or have an upset loss to VT, Boston College, Northern Illinois or Florida to get us to 8-4. If we make it to 10-2 that means we upset Clemson or won 3/4 of the tough roadies.
I would hope the days of the nearly annual off-the-wall upset have ended with the previous staff's departure.

Last edited:
This is still a Top 5 team, talent-wise. With coaching/enthusiasm/care, why can't this be a 10-win team? Only 2 years ago we were a Top 10, 10-win team in the country, with arguably less talent, less coaching, and less caring.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is still a Top 5 team, talent-wise. With coaching/enthusiasm/care, why can't this be a 10-win team? Only 2 years ago we were a Top 10, 10-win team in the country, with arguably less talent, less coaching, and less caring.

Two years ago we had three losses in the regular season despite a softer schedule (at Notre Dame instead of neutral with Ole Miss and Virginia Tech on the schedule instead of North Carolina with Northern Illinois being roughly on par with USF). Plus we had a “window” in that two years with our defensive talent that we missed because of Jimbo’s whiffs at QB with John Franklin and Malik Henry transferring and JJ Cosentino not developing into a decent QB. That window closed and with some poor recruiting at LB, I’m not sure we have the quality defensive players we need to get back to the same level as two years ago without some new blood from Taggart’s recruiting.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Two years ago we had three losses in the regular season despite a softer schedule (at Notre Dame instead of neutral with Ole Miss and Virginia Tech on the schedule instead of North Carolina with Northern Illinois being roughly on par with USF). Plus we had a “window” in that two years with our defensive talent that we missed because of Jimbo’s whiffs at QB with John Franklin and Malik Henry transferring and JJ Cosentino not developing into a decent QB. That window closed and with some poor recruiting at LB, I’m not sure we have the quality defensive players we need to get back to the same level as two years ago without some new blood from Taggart’s recruiting.
Plus Jimbo recruited to run a slow, plodding, offense that tried to wear the defense down. That's a stark difference to what Taggart hopes to run. Not every player is going to fit his system perfectly. I don't think 10 wins is impossible, just less likely and I think we need to be ok with that considering the difficulty of this season combined with the massive changeover. It's going to take some time to gel.

I would hope the days of the nearly annual off-the-wall upset have ended with the previous staff's departure.

This. Jimbo had so many flaws that it is hard to pick “the biggest,” but this is right up there. We lost to chumps like GT, BC, Wake, Virginia, UNC and NCSU, none of whom were in our league talent-wise. This happened every single year he was here, except for.....wait for it....the years Winston QB’d the team.

At some point we'll have to win and that point will come soon...but yeah for now there is a bit of a honeymoon where things are just plain refreshing.

As to the actual coaching, Harlon Barnett has done a nice job at Michigan State and I already saw some stuff at the spring game that indicates we'll have an instant upgrade in pass defense. Just think we'd be easily 8-4, quite possibly 9-3, without the 3rd and Kelly.

At some point we'll have to win and that point will come soon...but yeah for now there is a bit of a honeymoon where things are just plain refreshing.

As to the actual coaching, Harlon Barnett has done a nice job at Michigan State and I already saw some stuff at the spring game that indicates we'll have an instant upgrade in pass defense. Just think we'd be easily 8-4, quite possibly 9-3, without the 3rd and Kelly.
At the very least I see defense, offensive line, and hopefully receivers being an upgrade in coaching. I'm not convinced we have the QB to run his offense effectively yet which could hold us back. If he simplifies it while getting his recruits then maybe we'll be fine.

At the very least I see defense, offensive line, and hopefully receivers being an upgrade in coaching. I'm not convinced we have the QB to run his offense effectively yet which could hold us back. If he simplifies it while getting his recruits then maybe we'll be fine.
I'm pretty well convinced we don't have the QB or o-line situation conducive to running this offense. However, there's enough weapons where we should be able to win.

IMHO Cam Akers will get some looks at QB (3-6 snaps a game) and prove pivotal to our fortunes. Also IMHO I don't necessarily see simple as being good in this transition year. The hybrid can be very effective, Clemson basically runs some tempo and some more traditional.

FMFFM indeed! Still awaiting the first Cane off the board in the draft. :Face with Tears of Joy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT