ADVERTISEMENT

2022/23 Women's basketball

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Brooke Wyckoff has exceeded my expectations, but she needs to recruit more top level players like Latson
to consistently be in the top 15 or so. What say you?

This offseason will be key. Talent acquisition. There are a lot of teams with better depth of talent than we have.
Timpson and Latson are studs. Bejedi is good, but she has to hit FTs better.
This is our incoming 'croot class
Lucía Navarro (wing, Valencia, Spain)

Carla Viegas (wing, Malaga, Spain)

Sakyia White (forward, Jones College, Tuscaloosa, Ala.)

Avery Treadwell (forward, Knoxville, Tenn.)
Underwhelming. White is an inside force for rebounding. How does she translate?
Viegas is an outstanding 3 point shooter. That should help. Can she create her own shot.
Treadwell is not in the ESPN 100. For reference Latson was 14.
We have to hope that Viegas and White translate well to our level.
We can also hope Brooke finds gold in the portal.

Reactions: NOLES-RULE
Brooke exceeded my expectations, too. Florida State was the first women's hoops team in the ACC to 20 wins and there is a realistic shot at 25 wins before the team leaves the conference tournament in Greensboro. That would be a wow when looking at the big picture.

The last two results were disappointing, but especially the missed free throws down at Miami. In a week where you needed to split between the road games against Miami and Va. Tech, not coming away with a win hurts.

ESPN's Charlie Creme has FSU as a 6 seed as of Tuesday, which I'd argue feels low:

Through Sunday's games, FSU leads the ACC in:

Scoring offense (82.31 points)
Rebounding (43.6)
Defensive rebounds per game (30.9)
Blocks (5.93)

FSU is second in FG percentage defense (.358)
FSU is second in 3-point FG made (7.31)
FSU is also third in scoring margin (15.28 points). Only ND and VT are better

Ta'Niya Latson leads the ACC in scoring (22.07) and is second in FT percentage (86.6)
Makayla Timpson leads the ACC in FG percentage (59.7), is second in blocks (2.28) and second in offenseive rebounds (3.45)

Here is where the rubber meets the road for a coach and her team, the post season.
We barely slipped by a WF team on the road that we beat at home by nearly 30.
Do we finish strong and play our best basketball in the last few weeks of the season.

What Brooke has done to this point has been better than expected. Finish strong!

I agree that this off season is a big one for Brooke and Co. Obviously the first task being to keep Latson/Timpson out of the portal.

I think out of our four incoming players, White is probably the only one ready to compete at this level. She has division one experience before going Juco and is a monster rebounder. Treadwell looks like a shorter (and less heralded) version of Baldwin at this point. Historically our foreign signees take a couple years to get adjusted to the American game (i.e. Rodriguez/Conde), so I don’t think we will see much from those two next season.

Since we struck out on the elite talent in the ‘23 class, I think we need to add at least one impact transfer. This team could really use some length on the perimeter. Another big wouldn’t hurt either.

Definitely need to capitalize on having Latson here and adding some quality talent around her. Something we struggled to do when Natasha was here. It is slightly easier to do this day in age with the portal.

Reactions: Tom81
I know many of us were concerned about our 7 outgoing transfers last season and I was curious as to how they would do at their new schools and if the would improve as I know many of us have questioned our player development in the past.

To be honest the only player that transferred and made an impact is Puisis. She is killing it for USF avg 16 pts and shooting lights out from 3. I think she would have really thrived here in the new system.

Jones was a 1st team all-ACC selection here and was a go to player. She and Walz haven’t mixed all season and is now coming off the bench avg less than 10 minutes a game the past few contests. It’s interesting because she said she transferred to compete for a title and be put in a better position for the W. Sometimes the grass isn’t always greener. Sucks because she is truly talented but fit/style of play matter and Louisville wasn’t the best place for her.

Baldwin, Jackson, Weber are all playing limited minutes off the bench at their new schools. Numbers well below what they were while here.

The bright side to all those transfers was that it gave an opportunity for Latson to shine early and brought in new energy into the program.

I could be wrong, but with transfer portal and NIL opportunities, it is imperative to not only keep Latson and Timpson, but to add some serious talent around here ( transfer portal).
Otherwise, we could fall off the map for top talent and be a mid to lower tier ACC Team.
OTOH, if we do keep both and add some serious talent, we could challenge for the ACC next year and hopefully reap the rewards on the trail.

Reactions: semispear
Not finishing strong at this moment.
FSU is teetering on the edge right not.
Need to finish strong in the tourney, keep Latson and Timpson and add some portal talent; otherwise, it will
be a rapid descent into mediocrity like the men this year. JMHO

Reactions: semispear
The 2024 class will be an important one. Brooke was known as a solid recruiter under Semrau, I’m not sure if Brooke has that star recruiter on her bench as of now.

We struggled closing with portal transfers last off-season and the 2023 class isn’t one to move the program into the upper echelon. I think the coaching change had an effect on this and hopefully we see better results this summer. With that said Brooke seems to be all about finding the rightfit and although there will be some talented portal players, I suspect they will be picky with who they target. We see how other teams who loaded up on transfers this season struggled with chemistry on the court.

But the biggest key is keeping Latson here. She already has fans of other elite programs like SC tweeting her about how great she would be there if she were to leave FSU. So hope she isn’t influenced by SM and that Brooke can attract quality talent to put around her to push the program forward.

2024 Recruiting Notes:

#1 Jaloni Cambridge (5-6 PG)
#2 Joyce Edwards - (6-2 F)
#30 Lexi Blue (6-0 G)
#36 Eris Lester (5-11 G)
#38 Tahj Blom (6-3 F)
#45 Ava Grace (5-6 PG)
Kayla Nelms (6-2 F)

(All recruits listed above have made an unofficial visit to Tallahassee)

Other 2024 Offers:

#6 Kiyomi Miller (5-7 PG)
#11 Zamareya Jones (5-4 PG)
#22 Taliyah Parker (6-1 G)
#32 Imari Berry (5-10 G)
#44 Bryanna Preston (5-8 PG)

Season Officially Over.

Nice season from 1st year HC Brooke Wyckoff who finished with a 23-10 recod.

Looking ahead to next season. The noles have some talented pieces to build around in All American T. Latson and All conference KK Timpson. If we can add some talented players from the portal, next years team will have a lot of potential. Latson has potential to be the POY in the ACC and Timpson is the arguably the best returning big in the conference with Kitley graduating.

Returnees/Newcomers:

Gordon/
Bejedi/Vieagas
Latson/Turnage/Navarro
Valenzuela/White
Timpson/Treadwell

IMO, this team would benefit from adding 2 to 3 players. A quality rebounding big (6’3+), a athletic wing who can defend the bigger guards in the conference, a sharpshooter from 3.

I would consider adding another PG as well . I love Gordon but she has dealt with injuries in her first two years including off season surgery last year and ended this season with another leg injury. Bejedi has shown she is not a floor general. Latson is ball dominant but the team would benefit from having an additional playmaker on the court who can hit shots.

I will add a seperate post of transfers to keep an eye on this off-season.

Transfer Portal Players of Interest:

Jayda Curry
: Soph 5’6 PG, Cal. 15.5 ppg & 3.5 apg
McKenzie Forbes: Gr 6’0 W, Harvard. 13 ppg & 40% 3pt shooter.
Maria Gakdeng: Soph 6’3 Post, BC. 12ppg & 7 rbs

Transfer Portal Players of Interest:

Jayda Curry
: Soph 5’6 PG, Cal. 15.5 ppg & 3.5 apg
McKenzie Forbes: Gr 6’0 W, Harvard. 13 ppg & 40% 3pt shooter.
Maria Gakdeng: Soph 6’3 Post, BC. 12ppg & 7 rbs
There have been a ton of talented players who entered the portal the past few weeks and many have chosen a new home already. Hopefully Brooke is able to land someone. 2/3 players mentioned above have transferred to ACC schools.

Brooke mentioned they were looking to add size on the perimeter this off season. Forbes would be a good fit. Havent heard us mentioned with any other players.

The women picked up two transfers: Alexis Tucker (UCSB) and Amaya Bonner (Cal).

Both are Wings and add much needed size on the perimeter. Neither are three point threats which is something I thought we needed to add. Ferrara mentioned after the Bonner signing that the class was complete. So we will have 12 players going into next season.

Kinda disappointed/surprised that they couldn’t attract any of the top 100 players in the transfer portal. I know Brooke is big on personality fits so that could be part of the reason but this team still lacks quality depth/talent compared to the rest of the conference. Next years team is gonna heavily rely on Latson/Timpson again.

Other ACC teams (VT, Louisville, Miami, UVA etc) all got multiple talented players from the portal. We still lack depth in the post and freshman Treadwell will be our tallest player at 6-3.

2024 Recruits Recently visited

Jordan Lee
: 6’0 G out of Cali, ranked #9 in the class.
Zamareya Jones: 5’4 PG out of NC, ranked #14 in the class.
Harper Peterson: 6’3 F out of Cali, ranked #51 in the class

Other recruiting news:

Bry Preston: 5’8 G out of Atl, ranked #40 lists FSU in her top 7 schools.

Transfer News:
Talaysia Cooper: former HS AA has entered the portal out of South Carolina. FSU made her final four schools and could be a landing spot for her next destination. Former AAU teammate of Latson as well

Looks like we will be without Mariana Valenzuela this upcoming season. Per her IG, she suffered a major injury while competing for Mexico in the Fiba AmeriCup games.

This hurts our already limited post depth. Valenzuela was the only returning big who can stretch the floor and she was the most accurate three point threat on the team.

Looks like we will be without Mariana Valenzuela this upcoming season. Per her IG, she suffered a major injury while competing for Mexico in the Fiba AmeriCup games.

This hurts our already limited post depth. Valenzuela was the only returning big who can stretch the floor and she was the most accurate three point threat on the team.
That’s a real shame. I thought she really showed improvement in Year 2 with the increased playing time.

• Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards
In FSUs two foreign tour games the past week, Latson and Grad Transfer Alexis Tucker both averaged 17ppg. Timpson avg 15/10 while junior college transfer White had 9 rebounds in both games.

Bejedi and Viegas did not participate in the games. Bejedi recently led her Finland team to bronze finish while averaging 20ppg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT