ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Women's Soccer

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Much to breakdown.
We lost NIghswonger and Robbins to graduation.
Heather Payne is up in the air. She is apparently finishing some classes this spring and
deciding whether or not to come back. I heard it depends on what kind of deal she can '
get in Europe with money and playing time being a big deal.
IOW she may come back.
We have announced transfers with Taylor Huff (MFer) 1st team All SEC and 3rd Team AA according to US Soccer.
Claire Raine a full time starter for Tennessee, same as Huff. Starting defender.
Lilly Farkas a senior transfer from Michigan who plays forward. Should be great depth up top, or maybe in the midfield.
4 highly rated freshman. I expect at least 2 of them to make an impact.
If HP comes back, I look for another CC run, especially now that Korbin Albert from ND has declared for the pros.

Just playing around with potential lineups for upcoming season.
Assuming a 4-3-3
GKer Duhhhh
Wide backs Payne and Iwai to start Claire Rain as an option.
CBs Flynn and Gilchrist Rain or Freshman as a backup
HMF Nesbeth Duhh
AMF Taylor Huff, Zipay, Alagoa,
WMF Alagoa, Bissell, Farkas, Heather Payne if Rain takes wide back, Iwai if freshman steps up at wide back,, Zipay
Front 3 Echegini, Olsson, Brown A Stud starting 3. Garcia, ?Farkas?, Zipay a freshman.
We have 4 stud freshmen rated higher than anyone last year if memory serves.

Barring serious injuries, we should be tough again.

A knowledgeable poster (Tally T) on Big Soccer thinks Claire Rain will definitely start. I can't disagree, so I'm guessing she takes either Ran or HP's spot in the wide back and one of those moves to the midfield.
HP must start and play many minutes. She is versatile enough to play any position. She plays F on the Irish NT I believe.
It's not sure that she will be here in the fall, but her playing in the spring is encouraging.
Love me some FSU women's soccer. Anyone here have any intel?

Sounds like Payne is coming back.
Good read but the article was from April 2022 so she was referencing her return to the team last year. Hopefully she stays because as you mention she will be so important to the team and can fit in many places. It was great to see how they included her in the recent FSU Ireland promotions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben.dean
Good read but the article was from April 2022 so she was referencing her return to the team last year. Hopefully she stays because as you mention she will be so important to the team and can fit in many places. It was great to see how they included her in the recent FSU Ireland promotions.
Good catch. A poster on another site who spoke to her recently indicated she was 50/50 on coming back next year.

FSU had scrimmage game against AU today.
We were missing Gilchrist who just got back from YNT duty, Echegini and Zipay to apparent minor injuries. I say minor b/c I noticed no limping, casts, boots or braces.
Did not see Amelia Horton either. Don't know why.
The four freshmen and Lily Farkas not there yet.
We dominated possession and had several good looks. 2 PKs. I believe it was Huff who missed hers and Heather Payne hit hers.
Nguyen played in Gilchrist's CB position.
The player that jumped out to me was Nesbeth. She was channeling her inner Jaelin Howell.
Still love HP. Want Ran to stay in Left back. She was decent going forward until it came time to pass and she just couldn't connect.
Jody was typically dangerous. Had one goal called back due to offsides. Couldn't tell from my angle, but it had to be by a small margin.

We definitely miss the precision and creativity of Jenna, but then we were missing several key players, so we'll see.
Add in the 3 missing players (above) and the 5 new ones in the fall, and we should look very differently. Still don't know if HP will be back. She played today, but we probably won't know until the end of summer I suspect.

I know it's a meaningless game as far as standings go, but what was the score??

I heard elsewhere that we may be getting another transfer or two. The window is now open, so we'll see.
We certainly need another GKer.

Reactions: FLSnole
I've been waiting to hear who we might get in the transfer portal.
The following DOES NOT include inside info.
It is me connecting dots that seem reasonable.
"
Following a record-setting season in which she led the nation with 22 goals and 51 points, Quinnipiac women’s soccer junior forward/midfielder Rebecca Cooke entered the transfer portal, a source told the Chronicle Thursday.

Cooke was a key component of the Bobcats’ run to a MAAC title in 2022. She recorded a point in every game but two and set the program record for goals in a season.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re the first player on the field or the last player on the field, coaches, athletic trainers, everyone, we’re all one family, one champion,” Cooke said after the MAAC title game on Nov. 6.

Throughout her Quinnipiac career, Cooke played in 44 games and recorded 89 total points (39 goals, 11 assists). The Dublin, Ireland, native was also named the 2022 MAAC Player of the Year, along with being named to the Division 1 Women’s All-American Team.

Recently, the Chronicle voted Cooke as the Quinnipiac 2022-23 Women’s Most Valuable Player.

She is the first player on the women’s team to enter the transfer portal for the 2023 season.

Quinnipiac Athletics declined to comment on Cooke entering the portal."

Why do I think we have a good chance?
She's from Dublin, Ireland. Megan's Connolly and Campbell and Heather Payne all are from Ireland and play or have played on the full WNT.
Gotta' think that may play a part.

Throw in 2 tickets to the 2024 Ga. Tech game in her NIL package.

BP told me a few weeks ago that more impact transfers may be coming...sounds like Cooke may be great option.

Reactions: Tom81
Can't wait to see what other impact NIL players may be coming.

Addie Todd a GKer from Oklahoma is transferring to FSU.
We needed a backup. Apparently she has 4 years of eligibility.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Florida State soccer team added an elite scorer as Head Coach Brian Pensky announced the signing of graduate transfer Leah Pais to the 2023 roster.

Pais comes to Tallahassee after spending the last three seasons at the University of Pittsburgh. Pais played in 56 games and made 25 starts for the Panthers in three seasons. Pais scored 17 goals and added 10 assists during her time at Pitt while tallying 2,848 minutes. In 2022, Pais appeared in all 22 games while making four starts. Pais led the team with eight goals and recorded the game-winning goal against Buffalo to give the Panthers their first NCAA Tournament win in school history. It was Pais's second game-winning goal of the season.

Pais excelled off the field too as she was named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll in 2020 and in 2022 while also being named to the All-ACC Academic Team in 2022.

For updates and exclusive content, follow the Seminoles on Twitter (FSU_Soccer), Instagram (nolesoccer) and Facebook (Florida State Seminoles Soccer).

Reactions: runningnole
Jody Brown was the most dangerous player for Jamaica today.
Cheyna Mathews also looked good. The announcer said she has 3 children. I had no idea!

I see where FSU picked up another commit recently.
Peyton McGovern a MFer from Virg. Development academy.
No 47 ranked on TDS.

BTW I'm going to the UCF, FSU exhibition in Orlando tomorrow.
If anyone here is going and would like to put a face with a name, I'm up for it.
Love meeting fellow avid Seminoles.

BP recently attended a showcase in Richmond and was optimistic that he had some great prospects following him.

A few observations from distance with mediocre eyes for today's FSU vs UCF scrimmage.
I'm no soccer coach, so I'll give you a few impressions. I can't vouch for how accurate they are, but it is what I felt after watching.
#1 We were playing w/o Brown, Echegini, Nesbeth, Nourse and Zipay.
The first 2 weren't back from the WWC. I saw Nesbeth jogging the track and didn't notice any injury. ???
Nourse and Zipay walked just fine, were in uniform, but didn't warm up or play.
So were missing 3 sure fire starters and studs and one potential starter in Zipay.
3 newbies to the program sorta' popped at me.
#1 Farkas Comfortable on the ball with good touch on passes and very aggressive. Seems to see the game well.
#2 Dudley Played R MF and showed strength, the ability to dribble, pass and attack. Far from a finished product, but good clay to work with.
#3 Van Zanten She showed the willingness (Left MFer) to turn and take players one v one or pass it ahead. Has the clay IMO to be molded into a very good player.
We have too many players (no names) who aren't comfortable turning and attacking 1v1 or at least passing it ahead. Too many of our passes out of the back are to no one in particular. I need to see more willingness and ability to pass accurately and attack vigorously when the opportunity presents itself
Get the 4 aforementioned players back and we could be a pretty dangerous team.

Assuming Jody and Jo are back and healthy, this team has the ability to challenge for the ACC and another Natty.
On bigsoccer board, knowledgeable UNC fans believe this team of theirs may be their best and deepest in over a decade. We'll see, but these aren't people prone to hyperbole.
That said, I have moderate level of concern going forward.
We have always been out recruited by the blue bloods with domestic recruits, even under Mark. Mark made up for it with 1 to 3 foreign players annually, most of whom were more technically skilled than their US counterparts.
BP does not have those connections, although he has stated he is trying to develop them.
My point is that sans that element of our recruiting, we will undoubtedly fall behind in recruiting going forward.
Maybe BP establishes those connections. Short of that we may become a top 15 program (not bad) instead of a perennial top 5 program. JMHO.

On my above post, I left off one key element that MAY allow BP to keep up with the blue bloods.
The transfer portal.
Tonight will be our first glimpse of our team. I'll be curious to see how much he plays Jody and Jo, who haven't been practicing with the team this fall due to the WWC.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Ditto Tom. We will see if Jody and Echegini play tonight, maybe some limited mins to get the legs going? My bet is they make their season debuts Sunday at TCU. Also hope Nesbeth is able to go (minor injury) and looking forward to seeing Dudley alongside the transfers.

Think this team will get up and down more than even last year and be a high powered, high octane attack by the end of the year.

Reactions: NoleLizards
FSU wins 2-1 sans Jody Brown and LeiLani Nesbeth. Those are 2 of the most important players on our team without a doubt.
Things I think I learned.
1. I wasn't onboard the Taylor Huff train until tonight. All aboard. Big, strong. Can turn and run and a good passer. Not a bad finisher either
:)
;)

2. Echegini is dangerous anywhere up top, but I'd like to see her at AMF maybe as a 2 headed AMF along with TH and let Jody and Beatta find spaces.
3. Heather Gilchrist has made excellent progress in her passing since last year. I'm liking what I'm seeing from her.
4. Ran Iwai makes too many inaccurate passes, but boy when she unleashes a great one...
5. Garcia is creative with good footwork, but lacks quickness to create space on her own.
6. Jordyn Dudley reminds me of Rebecca Jarrett formerly of UVA. Tall and very fast. I think she may be better on the ball at THIS stage of her career than RJ was. Expect big things from her this year. Looks like she's got a very good soccer IQ.
7. VanZanten. Another one with very good 1v1 ball skills that should only get better with time. Another high IQ player IMO.
8. Flynn Solid defensively, but at least once a game misjudges a defender and gives a ball away.
9. Nguyen Decent ball skills. Saw her take a 40 yard pass down as softly as a babies bum, but then proceeded to give it away. Her lack of foot speed concerns me at FB.
10. Farkas and Pais looked good enough to give us some minutes, but won't chase a starter's job.
11. I'm afraid Rain has a torn ACL or similar injury. See you next year hopefully.
12. Alagoa lacks good footspeed, but has creativity. I'll wait and see.
13. Zipay. Need to see more.
14. Didn't see Nourse, Taitano or Lebdaoui. I think Nourse was nursing a minor injury. Not sure about Taitano.
15. Maybe we see Brown and Nesbeth this Sunday?
Good win in hostile territory and hot conditions.

Last edited:
Good win with a tough opponent on the road with a ref allowing heavy contact for the first 75 minutes, then he gets ticky tack.
Great cross by JOdy and world class 1st touch/settle and score by Jo.
Getting Nesbeth back will make us very dangerous. Gilchrist continues to impress. Flynn and Iwai are very iffy with the ball at their feet.
Got to see Taitano a bit. Hope she gets more time so I can get a better feel for her capabilities.
With Payne and Nesbeth, this team would be awfully tough to beat.
I like Nguyen's ball skills. She scares me when defending a runner down her side. ?Foot speed?
Dudley is going to be special.

Reactions: fsufool
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but it is FSU Soccer related.

Class of 2025 Verbal Commitment:
Kai Price - CB
Club - Concorde Fire
High School - Greater Atlanta Christian

I'm not a subscriber to TDS or any of the other recruiting related websites, so I'm not 100% on her national rank. Last I saw, she is the #1 2025 recruit from the state of Georgia. She has had callups to the youth National Team and has been named to the '07 ECNL All-American Team (if I recall seeing that correctly).

Her athleticism could also allow her to play as an outside back, and personally I believe she can also step forward to play the 6.

@ariya_massoudi Does anyone know if all of the 9 seniors must depart after this year? I wasn’t sure if the extra Covid year still allows any to stay on as graduates

FSU's tie at UNC was an instant classic!
2 powerhouse teams trading blows like Frazier and Ali.
We were missing Jody Brown off with Jamaica.
They were missing a key player Dellaparuta with Italy.
Despite having a 33 woman roster, they only played 17, while we played 16.
Looking at the rest of the schedule, we have Duke away and ND at home left.
Both are good, but we should be favored IMO.
We need to shore up our defense!

@ariya_massoudi Does anyone know if all of the 9 seniors must depart after this year? I wasn’t sure if the extra Covid year still allows any to stay on as graduates
Sorry been away for a bit, but will find out for you this week! I'll have the call Friday vs. Miami so excited to meet with Brian and the team this week to catch up with them before the broadcast.

The answer I got tonight was there are handful of 5th years that are moving on, but the Seniors who have been here for 4 years have decisions to make at the end of the season. Pensky said TBD on if they would choose to return.

Jordynn Dudley defines the term "Stud"!
Wow! She literally has it all!
IMO, the best freshman ever at FSU. Deyna Castellanos might disagree. Deyna was phenomenal, but JD has the phsyical skills to take over a game. She also has a high soccer IQ for one so young.
Lucky to have her!

at the half of the ACC semifinal against Pitt, it's 0-0. FSU has dominated possession and has had the better shots. A couple of maybe should have scored opportunities. Hopefully, we have our typical 2nd half and throw a few goals in there!

at the half of the ACC semifinal against Pitt, it's 0-0. FSU has dominated possession and has had the better shots. A couple of maybe should have scored opportunities. Hopefully, we have our typical 2nd half and throw a few goals in there!
Still controlling game..........but need to run our offense more.
Such a different game from the 1st time we played.

We played much better than we did the 1st time. If I had to guess, I'd say Dudley is at about 80%.
Anything can happen in soccer, but IMO, Clemson is not as good as Pitt!

Reactions: Mortain44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT